Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Dread Pendragon OP
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,142
I'M HOT Tour

Idaho / Montana Hot Springs Tour

A group of us rode for four days around Idaho and Montana, sleeping at hot springs when we could.

Lost Trail Hot Springs
Red River Hot Springs
Lolo Hot Springs

The plan was to start in Salmon, Idaho, looping clockwise around Missoula, Montana.

The group was composed of some high school friends, some family, and some neighbors. It's difficult to get away from family and work for 4 days or there would have been another half-dozen riders. As it was we had 8-9 riders hailing frome from Idaho Falls, Missoula, Jackson Hole and Logan, Utah.

Riders and bikes:
Mike Hinds Honda XR650R
David Decker Honda XR650R
Terran Lohman Honda XR650R

Justin Pabst Kawasaki KLR 650

Veldon Moser BMW X-Challenge

Rick Eckert Yamaha WR 450
Greg Ashcroft Yamaha WR 450
Ryan Coats Yamaha WR 450

Rob Dayton KTM 525

Sunday, Sept. 11th

The original plan was to stay with Rock, whom we met on our last ride. His brother was in a serious accident and Rock has been up in Salmon helping him with his ranch. He considered doing this ride with us and offered to let us park our vehicles at his brother's ranch. But it's forest fire season in Idaho and Montana and The first segments of our ride were closed (Salmon to the Magruder Corridor). We decided to meet at Lost Trail Hot Springs, just past the Idaho/Montana border, and hit the Magruder just south of Darby. The Lost Trail people were very accommodating and let us leave two trucks and trailers there four days.

I rode with the group from Logan. Todd (@ Motorsports Unleashed) generously offered to let us use his trailer. We took him up on the offer, and showed our gratitude by promptly bashing a hole in the side. Oops.

In Idaho Falls some of the guys bought an air mattress so they could comfortably ride in the bed of the truck. The comfort was worth the risk.

Veldon was the only one to arrive in time to sit in the hot springs. The rest of us trickled in after dark. Inside one of their cabins:

Here are pictures at Lost Trail Hot Springs from the next morning.
Rick and Greg at the lodge:

Our cabins:

Pool:

Veldon tracked down a BMW X Challenge for this ride:

Death Valley Ride

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 09-22-2011 at 05:07 PM
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,901
I'm hot tour without any females? something is wrong here

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Dread Pendragon OP
Xin Ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
I'm hot tour without any females? something is wrong here
You're right, it's false advertising.

Lost Trail has a restaurant where we had breakfast before leaving. After Labor Day their busy season ends and they're only open on weekends. Opening the restaurant and pool were things they did just to be accommodating. Very nice people. If you have a couple million dollars burning a hole in your pocket Lost Trail Hot Springs is for sale!

Lost Trail Hot Springs has a bunch of these carvings made from the standing stumps of old trees:

With Rob donning his storm trooper shirt the last piece fell into place and we started riding north to meet up with Terran and Justin.

We found them about 10 miles up the road.

We finally started heading west to reach the Magruder Corridor, stopping briefly at a Forest Service station to make sure fires hadn't closed the Magruder.

Before we hit dirt roads the guys in the back of the pack stopped to consider why Rick's WR450 was draining out so much fuel. He figured the float was stuck, and rather than pulling the carburetor apart he decided to first hit some dirt roads and see if the banging around would wiggle it free again (it did).

Greg:

A few more miles up the road we caught up with the rest of the group:

Rob representing for KTM
Death Valley Ride
Old 09-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Dread Pendragon OP
Xin Ku

We finally hit the Magruder

This area had previously burned

Death Valley Ride
Old 09-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Dread Pendragon OP
Xin Ku

About 15 miles before we got in to Red River Hot Springs my XR650R started running poorly. It quit running altogether about 10 miles out. About 50 yards before it died a bee hit my face and was wedged at the bottom of my goggles where it stung me. Taking a swipe at my goggles bumped the bee to the inside left of the goggle.

I finally came to a stop and was able to take them off. I scraped the stinger out. It wasn't a bad sting, the bee was having a worse day than I was and didn't have much time to do the job right. Stopped I could hear bees everywhere.

It seemed that Karma was after me. I felt like Earl Hickey.

We used mule tape and Justin towed me the rest of the way.

Veldon

Red River Hot Springs

Death Valley Ride

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 02:00 PM
Old 09-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Dread Pendragon OP
Xin Ku

Red River Hot Springs was fun, but it's not well-maintained. We weren't hauling much food with us, but there is no place to eat there. They have a "general store," but for drinks they had two choices: water or warm diet pepsi. I asked them to pick up some steaks for us and have them waiting. After checking in we started cooking steaks on the bbq by the pool. I brought some side dishes we need to hydrate.

It was Clayton's week to be up at the hot springs and he helped us out. We had 10 steaks and only 9 riders, so we offered the last steak to Clayton.

Death Valley Ride
Old 09-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Dread Pendragon OP
Xin Ku

I wasn't able to hang out around the pool because I had to work on my bike. I used an empty gas container and drained the fuel out of my tank (has to be done with the 7 gallon IMS tank for the XR650R to pull it off). I finally pulled off the float bowl. The problem I expected to see wasn't there. I was aggravated.

I figured it must be that the fuel isn't getting pumped up to the small reservoir area that the petcock sits in. I went through the tank hook-ups as best I could. It was dark by the time I got done. I pushed my front tire up a hill and leaned it to the right so when I poured the fuel back in it would go to where the petcock valve was. It started up and ran fine. I figured I would just have to treat my 7 gallon tank like a 3 gallon tank and just keep the fuel level above the point it depends on fuel being pumped to the petcock.

The rooms were less clean than they look.

Two dogs live at Red River all the time.

Some of the guys watched a movie that night. They asked Clayton to microwave them some popcorn, but he said he would have to shut off the t.v. to do it. There is a loud generator that sits right next to the building that provides electricity, but not quite enough.

Here's my gps

and Ryan's bike odometer.
Death Valley Ride
Old 09-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
Dread Pendragon OP
Xin Ku

The next morning was beautiful and cold.

I rode as fuel efficiently as I could, trying to make it in to Elk City (20+ miles) with the little bit of fuel that was already in the petcock area. The other riders stopped a few times to try and warm their hands, but I didn't dare stop.

My bike made it in to Elk City, which made me happy.

(The next morning when I was filling up and looking down inside the tank I realized that there wasn't actually a problem at all. The "reserve" level on the inside of the petcock mechanism is about even with the depth of the area that catches the fuel. Once the gas level goes below the petcock it simply needs to be turned to reserve. So I'll just leave it on "reserve" all the time.)

After that realization that I seemed to remember reading about that somewhere before. All that stress for nothing, but at least there wasn't an actual problem with my bike.
Death Valley Ride

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 02:01 PM
Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Dread Pendragon OP
Xin Ku

These pictures are from that morning's ride into Elk City.

I think I can, I think I can

Death Valley Ride
Old 09-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Dread Pendragon OP
Xin Ku

The gas station in Elk City has some great food. Most of had the same thing but I can't remember what it was called. I think it was hash browns with a little of everything on it, with gravy on top.

While there we met a couple of other advrider guys. Andrew and Steven were headed out to the Magruder that day. Steven was on a KTM 990 (or 950?) and Andrew was riding a V-Strom that he'd made a sidecar for. I didn't think to take a picture until we parted ways, but I snapped a picture of his bike with the sidecar.

Andrew saw that I had a handheld radio and we decided we would try and communicate with each other that night around 9:00, but when that time came around we weren't in a situation where we could call.

Terran and I went to the local ranger station to check on our route. We were told that the road we were talking to get to the Selway River was closed so we had to figure out a new route.

Meanwhile they other guys met this hiker with a wooden-frame backpack. They told me the story but I don't remember it now.

Death Valley Ride
Old 09-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
dragonrcr
Adrenal Gland Eater

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
The gas station in Elk City has some great food. Most of had the same thing but I can't remember what it was called. I think it was hash browns with a little of everything on it, with gravy on top.
It's called Okie Hash, it had eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage, onion, and topped with hamburger gravy and cheese, it was splendid!
Mesquite Area Ride
2008 Honda Shadow 750- 2000 Honda XR650L SOLD-2004 Yamaha WR450F
dragonrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Dread Pendragon OP
Xin Ku

Before too long we all stopped for a few minutes and reduced our weight by a few pounds (of lead).

Death Valley Ride

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 07:20 PM
Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Dread Pendragon OP
Xin Ku

We then made our way down to the Selway River

Terran

Rob

Ooh, pretty!

David

Veldon

Ryan

Confluence of the Selway and Lochsa rivers

Taking a break by he Lochsa river.

Death Valley Ride

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 07:21 PM
Old 09-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Dread Pendragon OP
Xin Ku

These pictures are from this day, but I don't remember what part.

Death Valley Ride
Old 09-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #15
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,366
Great stuff!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote