User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
GTV630 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Assualt on Wolf Creek

Most of you in the Charlotte area know how this got started, but for everyone else...

One inmate was out exploring in the NC/TN mountains and turned down Wolf Creek Road. Not too far into it he ran into obstacles that he felt were impassible on his bike. When he posted on the local forum that Wolf Creek was "impassible", of course several of us were like "I'll give it a shot!" So a plan was made to meet in Hot Springs, NC on a Saturday morning. It was supposed to be 5 of us, but 3 had to bail out at the last minute, so it ended up being Boikke33 (Matt) and myself.

We around 9:30 am. The weather was excellent with sunshine and highs in the 80’s. After gathering tools and other supplies we headed off towards Wolf Creek Rd. It was only about 6 miles up hwy 70 to the entrance to Wolf Creek. Unfortunately, neither Matt or I was tracking our route via GPS, so here it is as best I could piece it together. A word of caution - I would not use this for navigation.

GTV630 screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 04:32 PM
GTV630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
GTV630 OP
Adventurer

Assualt On Wolf Creek

Here is the KML file for the route as best I know it. Again, may not be totally accurate!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ek%20route.kml
Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
GTV630 OP
Adventurer

Assualt On Wolf Creek

We started down Wolf Creek road with caution as we had heard rumors that a part of it was supposed to be for hiking. There were no signs indicating such, so we proceeded. The first mile was gravel, but it quickly turned into a two track trail. Not far into the trail we came to the first creek crossing:

It was fairly easy and we continued. The trail was a little muddy in places since the area had received a lot of rain over previous week. There were several creek crossings a couple of which were trickier, but nothing too bad. On our bikes this trail was fun, but I could see how a bigger bike might have trouble. There are plenty of rocks, tree roots, and logs to hop over.
Then we came to this:

A very rocky, uphill climb. Yea, I don’t see a bigger bike making it through this. It was the biggest challenge of the trail and I’m guessing why someone posted the trail was impassible. We got through it without incident and continued on. From here, the trial was pretty much single track.

Here was another tricky off camber crossing:

Old 07-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
GTV630 OP
Adventurer

Assualt On Wolf Creek

Not far after this the trail T’d into more a gravel road or jeep trail. We started following our planned route, but realized we needed to turn around to go see Wolf Creek Falls. As we passed by the single track we just came off of, we noticed a very small sign saying no motorized vehicles. So I guess the single track is for hiking only. Still not sure why it wasn’t marked on the other end though.

We stopped for a break at Wolf Creek Falls. It was really nice, guessing about 40-50 ft tall and flowing well with all the rain they had. We sat at the bottom of the falls and enjoyed the cool breeze while having a snack. Very beautiful falls and accessible by a car or truck if you don’t mind a really bumpy, mostly gravel road.

After our break, we were taking gravel roads heading toward Hurricane Creek Rd. We were running a spirited pace, but not crazy. I’m still not sure exactly what happened, but I went into a right hand corner and hit some ruts at the apex. I think I started to lose the front and in trying to save it got all crossed up. At some point, I had my left foot on the ground trying to catch it, but as it slid out from under me, I had a little whiskey throttle and it spun out putting me on the ground. I was barely moving by this time, but somehow my left leg got bent out and back really tweaking my hip area. It hurt…enough that I didn’t immediately get up. I sat there for a bit trying to determine if I had done any real damage. I stood up, but couldn’t really put any weight on it. I did pick up the bike and was just kind of standing there when Matt came back. He asked if I was ok and I said “I’m going to need a moment!” We took about a 10 minute break while I decided how bad it was. The pain did get better, but flexing my hip to swing a leg over the bike was hard.

Here's a some of the view along the way:

Old 07-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
GTV630 OP
Adventurer

Assualt On Wolf Creek

Hurricane Creek was another great “road”. It is more of a rocky jeep trail with lots of creek crossings. I find these technical trails a lot of fun. Here’s some of the bigger creek crossings on this trail:

(nice finger in the shot!)

Old 07-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
GTV630 OP
Adventurer

Assualt On Wolf Creek

While I was crossing, a guy in a 4wd came up the trail and pulled over to air down before crossing the creek. He was a nice guy and we talked for a while before we watched him cross…not a problem at all for him.

From that point, it wasn’t too much further down Hurricane Creek until it dumps you out onto I40! Yep – this rocky dirt trail comes out onto an Interstate. We rode about a mile down I40 to the next exit where we took a gravel road up to what is call the “Buzzard’s Roost”. It isn’t really marked on the road. There is just a pull off area and a steep short trail leading down to it. We were glad someone had put a rope there since we were in motocross boots! It is a rock bluff sticking out from the mountain looking down over I40 where it passes through a tunnel. Oh, and it’s got to be over 1000 ft straight down – so watch your step! Here’s a couple pics and a video I found of some other guy’s trip there.

(this video covers the ride up to it, so skip to the end if you just want to see the views)

Old 07-31-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
GTV630 OP
Adventurer

Assualt On Wolf Creek

From there, we continued up the gravel road following our track. At one point, we come around a corner and I see Matt hit the brakes and swerve around something in the road. I do the same and pull up next to him and ask what was that? He replied “a !@#$% rattle snake!” We dismounted and cautiously approached to get some pics. Sorry they are a little fuzzy, but I decided better to stay back and use the zoom feature for this one!

After that our track took us down another jeep trail that was seriously rutted and littered with mud holes. We went around most of them as they look rather deep. Here’s another rocky creek crossing we found.

After that we stopped in “downtown Hartford” (which consisted of two gas stations and a bunch of rafting places) for fuel and a snack. From this point we followed a bunch of gravel roads back towards hwy 209. Once there, we parted ways. Matt headed south to meet up with his family and I headed north back into Hot Springs. If you haven’t ridden 209, it is very tight and twisty. Of course I got held up by a Harley…pretty sad considering I was on knobbies!

It was great day of riding with some really fun trails. Those of you who canceled at the last minute really missed out! (yes, I’m trying to make you feel guilty!) Oh, and by the next day my hip was almost back to normal, so no harm done!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
Awesome pics and a great ride. Amazing how reporting a road as "impassable by motorcycle" will inspire such interest...!
Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 463
Really enjoyed this thread. Great story and pictures.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
GTV630 OP
Adventurer

Assualt On Wolf Creek

I was curious what kind of rattlesnake we saw. Looks like it was a timber rattlesnake:
http://www.marshall.edu/herp/old/rattlesnake.htm
Old 07-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 654
Great report! I'm really sorry I missed this ride, but I had family commitments. From Matt's response, it's probably good that I didn't try it without a skid plate on my KLR.

Thanks for putting together the report. And I do feel a little guilty.

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #12
Dirty Lloyd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Great report, except for the snake!

L.

It is not the destination, it is the ride!
Dirty Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #13
parallaxbill
Mid-Carolina ADVR

Oddometer: 242
Enjoyable report!
I'm glad you let the snake go about his business.
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:02 AM   #14
GTV630 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallaxbill View Post
Enjoyable report!
I'm glad you let the snake go about his business.
Yea, No reason to harass the snake. Besides, the last thing I want is to get bit by a poisonous snake in the middle of the mountains, miles from civilization with no cell signal!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #15
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 848
Great pics and report. Looks like I would have got some weightlifting practice on that ride.

Timber rattler, they get big. When I lived in the west desert we used to hunt down sidewinders and skin them. Really nasty but they're small. A full grown timber can be as 'tall' as you.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote