Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #257
DCZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Thanks RRR - I needed that - spent the last couple days driving around camper shopping!

Rick
DCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #258
RidingUpAndDown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Spectacular S. UT; connect w/ the earth and feel ancient spirits! Love that country.
How nice you can ride w/ your dad!

Great picts.

Thanks for the RR.

d

Chargoggagogg-manchauggagogg-chaubunagungamaugg
RidingUpAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #259
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Thanks for all the good karma!

Specifically, TheAdmiral, Superhawk, DCZ, and RidingUpAndDown, and several others via PM.

Updated index of rides in Post #1.

I'm looking for sponsorship from the St. George Chamber of Commerce (or a local moto store).

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #260
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Green Valley to Santa Clara on dirt

From Green Valley there is a network of doubletrack that works northward to Santa Clara. This is all very, very close to St. George, about 5 minutes, 2-3 miles from my house. My wife is out of town on business for a few days so I'm stickin' close to home with my son and his friends. Had a bit a free time late Saturday afternoon. Just perfect to go find a bit of dirt between Green Valley and Santa Clara. Check out Post #165 on bottom of page 11 for info on Green Valley.

Here's a pic of the dirt track crossing the key ravine. About halfway between Green Valley and Santa Clara. The track drops down almost next to housing on Sunbrook Golf Course. As always, the down and up is steeper than it looks.

Here's a pic I snapped looking to the right at this spot. The golf course is Sunbrook. My neighborhood is at the base of black hill, just to the left edge of the pic. If you knew exactly where to look you could see my house.

Got over towards Santa Clara quite quickly, but wasn't quite ready to head back home yet. Days getting noticably longer and great temps for riding. Near 80 in St. George today. Turned south on dirt/rock tracks. Pic of the TW with Boomer Hill in background. These trails are not shown on Benchmark maps.

Lots of this area has been closed off by Desert Tortoise Reserve and the newly established Santa Clara River Reserve. But, you can still get from here down to Navajo Drive in Bloomington. You just have to know where to look.

Didn't have enough time to connect through to Bloomington, but here is the TW on a high point looking generally south towards the Bloomington Cave area. Still lots of territory out there.

Some of the tracks follow a simple powerline. Other tracks just evolved over time. Basically no maintenance. Even though this is close to town you seldom see anyone out here. As always, steeper than it looks.

Headed back north towards Santa Clara. Pine Valley Mountain in background. Almost no snow on the southern face. Red cliffs of Snow Canyon State Park. Santa Clara below with farmer's field.

Crossing back in to Santa Clara on relatively new paved bridge. Santa Clara River. Very light flow for springtime. Looks like it's going to be a dry summer.

This is a great little area very close to town, probably less than 20 miles total distance. I'll snake through from Santa Clara down to Bloomington (Navajo Drive) sometime soon. This is all rougher stuff. More like rocky double track than semi-maintained dirt roads. Plus you have to watch the fences and a few cliff bands.

Thanks for checkin' in. Ride safe, ride often.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #261
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bloomington to Santa Clara on Dirt

This route is all legal. Lots of ground has been incorporated in the Red Desert Reserve (Tortoise habitat) or the Santa Clara River Reserve, but there is still a "path" from Bloomington (Navajo Drive) through the White Hills to Santa Clara.

A year to ago there was a fence you had to "work around" at the top of the pass through the White Hills. Now the fence is removed and there is nearby signage (and fences) showing the boundary of the Desert Reserve. Didn't have to cross any downed fences to complete this ride. Looks like a slight adjustment was made to the boundary and the pass through the White Hills is legal again. At least that's my story.

Here's a map of the area. Benchmark as usual.

- The main dirt road leaves Bloomington at Navajo Drive. Similar starting point for lots of rides. Post #3, #95, #142.
- At first dirt intersection about 1 mile in, bear right, following signs to Bloomington Cave.
- After a few miles following along wash, the main dirt road starts to rise toward Bloomington Cave (with sign). At intersection near small cattle reservoir make distinct right turn onto smaller, less maintained road.
- This road/track is much more uneven. Follows contours fairly abruptly. On map it is shown as thin red line following Cottonwood Wash.
- I continued high up on Cottonwood Wash, fairly ledgy to connect with other roads I know before retracing and going north up through the White Hills. Marked in yellow on map, but no track shown by Benchmark. The path is there, but it is moto and ATV only. No trucks and probably not any jeeps. Too narrow with a few tight turns.
- Once on top of the White Hills the network of tracks generally improves and follows a wash past Boomer Hill before returning to "normal" dirt roads above Santa Clara.
- Dropping in to Santa Clara and crossing the river via bridge to the main street is easy.
- Could also return to Green Valley from Santa Clara on dirt (never touching pavement), last ride, post #263. Went home on pavement today. Time was running short and my son would be home from school soon.

Here is the first dirt intersection. Bear right, following signs to Bloomington Cave. Recent maintenance of this road, although some loose gravel is a few corners.

At the second dirt intersection turn right. Don't follow the Cave signs up the hill. Stay low.

Road immediately narrows and starts to look more like a jeep trail. Follows sharp contours up and down. Small cattle fences nearby. Generally in the direction of the White Hills.

Notice the wind on the surface of the water. Really windy today. TW is very stable on side-stand. Otherwise I think it might have blown over.

I didn't want to make the ride too short. Instead of going straight for the pass through the White Hills, I rode higher in Cottonwood Wash. Here's a view of the White Hills with Pine Valley Mountain as backdrop. Some snow on upper part of Pine Valley Mountain from a few days ago. Perhaps our last bit of snow this season.

Some of the trail/road up here gets kind of ledgy. Not much traffic, pretty out of the way. A truck/jeep could get through here, but it would be a slow, bouncy ride. Good terrain for a TW.

Exploring up a side wash.

Near the top is some smooth double track and few cows.

Big views back down to the White Hills with Pine Valley Mountain in background. This photo is taken from just south of the word "Cottonwood" on the map. Very pretty spot. Easier to get to from the Hollow Wash Road or Joshua Tree Scenic Backway.

Glamour shot of the TW.

My effort to capture the wind. This tumbleweed was bouncing along. Easy to block for a minute with the bike.

Here's the road/track that cuts directly north to the White Hills. Marked in yellow, but not shown by Benchmark.

The look as you approach the cut/pass up through the White Hills.

A few ruts and scrape marks as things get a bit narrow and steeper.

The narrow track is easier than the rocky uneven wash. As always, steeper than it looks. Looking back down.

One or two more final turns and you're up on top of the White Hills.

Some small adjustments have been made to the boundaries. Previously, there was a downed fence in this area. It has been removed and there is new nearby signage (and fencing) showing the Desert Reserve. Very easy to work north towards Boomer Hill on various tracks which eventually consolidate between fence lines (Desert Reserve and Santa Clara River Reserve). Pics of this area in my last ride (Post #263 Green Valley to Santa Clara on dirt).

Saw this roadside attraction just before reaching Santa Clara. Newly created. Some one has a good sense of humor and a creative touch.

View just above Santa Clara. Bike in almost same spot as last ride. Pine Valley Mountain with snow in background. Red cliffs of Snow Canyon. White cliff band in distance is above Winchester Hills.

Bike is in same position. Different angle. Background is red cliffs of Ivins. Asphalt road leaving Santa Clara and climbing hill on the way to Kayenta is visible just beyond farmer's field. Scenic spot.

Thanks for checkin' in. Ride safe, ride often.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #262
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
I didn't know a person needed a permit to crawl on their hands and knee's at night with a headlamp. Looks dangerous to me! Giggle, I know it's for the cave's, but couldn't resist. Ah, those pesky tumbleweeds, I hate 'em. With our recent and on-going spring winds, my fence is loaded with tumbleweeds.

Looked like this ride had a bit more technical riding going up the White Hills. Still, very pretty. Last fall I had to find a downed part of a fence to get to the other side, no gates nearby. Ended up finding a broken wood fence post about the size of a 2x4 and rode over it with the wire still attached to the post. Sprung back upright after I passed. No harm no foul. Hope no one was looking! I love the humor in the "face paint". I hope it's humor. Could be a warning, or perhaps a hula dancer missing her upper body!

As always, thanks for sharing pictures of this wonderful riding area.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #263
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Admiral. I've never been interested in caving either. My nephews used to play paintball in that area. I think there are a few other inmates who grew up in St. George and frequented the cave in their high school days.

Yeah, the last bit riding was more technical. The TW is great for crawling along some parts of it; for other parts the suspension is lacking. A few of the ledges had me thinking carefully about the stock "skid" plate.

Enjoyed your videos of Georgie on back. Cool dog! I assume you're starting to have Spring weather also. Look forward to seeing more mining ruins or whatever else is in your travels. --- RRR.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #264
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,424
Nice new pics, thanks!
I just drove thru on Sunday, I couldn't get a pic of Snow Mtn, because of all the snow.
On a different subject, did you find out where the bakery moved to? I could have used some extra sugar for the drive home.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #265
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,776
Really beautiful place you have out there! I am loosely planning a UT trip this summer

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #266
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Nice new pics, thanks!
I just drove thru on Sunday, I couldn't get a pic of Snow Mtn, because of all the snow.
On a different subject, did you find out where the bakery moved to? I could have used some extra sugar for the drive home.
Hey Bob - hope you had a good trip. We'll try again next time you are through St. George. Perhaps I'll be able to tag along for a ride. No, haven't found the bakery. Waiting for inmate Quota to resurface and give some guidance.

Lots of activity around St. George this Spring. Not quite a return to boom times but things are happening. The local moto stores say they are doing strong business, mostly side-by-sides to recent retirees relocating to area. Good for them.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #267
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, UpST8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8 View Post
Really beautiful place you have out there! I am loosely planning a UT trip this summer
I'm biased, but I have to say the Utah, especially south of I-70, has lots of great riding. Pavement, dirt, cross-country, and everything in between. If you're coming from CA, you'll probably come through St. George. Give me a heads up if you're going to be in the area. If it's hot spend time at higher elevations.

Enjoying your DV RR. Utah has some stretches that are similar. Watch your gas. Don't want to come up short.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #268
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
RedRockRider, I love your post and been following for a while. I was wondering how your TW does on the steep and rocky single track. I am thinking about adding a TW to my quiver.
ssmschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #269
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Welcome aboard, ssmschulz!

My WRR has a much better suspension and acceleration. But the TW is tough to beat for rock crawling. The gearing is low. Easy to creep without feathering the clutch. Seat height is low. You can always put a foot down, even on uneven (steep) terrain. Best part is the fat back tire. Some local trails have lots of loose steep rock. The fat tire does well. Seems to either grip or float as needed. I've dug some ruts on steep loose stuff with my WRR's back tire. TW handles it more easily. West Mountain Peak by Hell Hole Pass for locals, Post #121 top of page 9.

An interesting bike would be Yamaha's concept XTW250 Ryoku if they put it into production. Needs a large tank. Would be nice to see a 350 Ryoku with fuel injection, 6 speeds, disc brakes, and full protection and racks.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-conten...ku-concept.jpg

RedRockRider screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 10:14 AM
Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #270
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Frozen Yogurt with my Son

Yesterday afternoon. Wife was still out of town. My son and I take advantage and ride 2-up for frozen yogurt. He wants to ride on the big white bike, the one with the backrest.

Here he is getting ready to go.

Straight shot down St. George Boulevard to his favorite frozen yogurt place. You get to add your own toppings. For a 10-year old, this is an opportunity not to be missed.

Enjoying his reward for doing homework, and not missing his mommy too much!

Personal note: I really enjoy watching my son enjoy his treat. I was diagnosed with diabetes about a year and a half ago. Always been relatively healthy (weight, diet, exercise etc). Just some bad genetics. Original A1C number was 13+, off the charts. Now A1C is under 6.5. All good. Still can have an occasional sweet, but not often. Strangely, all this has made me really enjoy taking my son out for frozen yogurt or ice-cream. Super fun to watch him. Must be love. Wife (doctor) has also been great on helping get diabetes under control. All-in-all, still a very lucky guy!

Gearing up for the ride home.

Son doesn't want to go straight back home. We cruise around the old airport and take in the views from some of the bluffs surrounding town. No extra pics, but lots of quality father and son time. Kids are great, especially my kid!

Out with my dad on motos today. More on that tomorrow.