Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 03:50 AM   #271
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
One day they are eating frozen yogurt, next thing you know it, they're asking to borrow the helmet and keys! Kids grow up way too fast!

Frozen yogurt tastes yummy!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #272
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
RRR, we just got back home from five days in Sand Hollow. We were four-wheeling in the Sand Mountain OHV area. I was amazed at how many trails there were. We picked up the BLM map of the area around St George and there sure is a lot of riding.....you have only touched on a small amount. I enjoy your reports.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #273
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Thanks Admiral, Ol Man, 1stgear

TheAdmiral -- really appreciate the positive comments!

Ol Man -- Yeah, Sand Mountain is great for OHV. Good to do before it gets really hot. Coral Pink Sand Dunes just east of Kanab (2 hours from St. George) is also fantastic. HIgher elevation. http://www.utah.com/stateparks/coral_pink.htm Lots of nearby BLM land. Dunes and extensive trail riding. Thanks for the heads up on the Bar 10 Ranch. Never been. On my list to at least stop in on way to Whitmore Canyon Overlook. Amount of trails/roads in southwest Utah is really amazing. Tons of territory, almost all open access, and very moto-friendly culture. Not many people and great scenery.

I'm doing my best to cover as much ground as possible!

1stgear -- Thanks for posting on the thread. At least one inmate in Cedar. Some really strong local knowledge!
Post up a pic or two if you do a ride. Not sure of my schedule yet during April 15-18, but always good to entertain options. Should be very nice riding weather. Perhaps leave a bike at your place in Cedar? Think it's possible to connect almost all riding areas around St. George, perhaps with short bursts on asphalt.

There is a bike inspection place just across from the side parking lot of MotoZoo in St. George. Took my WRR there today. Total inspection time: 3 min 15 sec. Light, high beam, blinkers, brake light, license plate light, tires, brakes. No horn this time. $9 cash. 5 minutes for write-up. Small, informal operation. Could be a wait if busy, but easy to go to MotoZoo for a few minutes, then come back. Not sure how they might handle dirt bikes, but very easy with my dual sports.

Photo from a few months ago. Look for the red door, just west of MotoZoo. Richard is the main man.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #274
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
TheAdmiral -- really appreciate the positive comments!

Ol Man -- Yeah, Sand Mountain is great for OHV. Good to do before it gets really hot. Coral Pink Sand Dunes just east of Kanab (2 hours from St. George) is also fantastic. HIgher elevation. http://www.utah.com/stateparks/coral_pink.htm Lots of nearby BLM land. Dunes and extensive trail riding. Thanks for the heads up on the Bar 10 Ranch. Never been. On my list to at least stop in on way to Whitmore Canyon Overlook. Amount of trails/roads in southwest Utah is really amazing. Tons of territory, almost all open access, and very moto-friendly culture. Not many people and great scenery.

I'm doing my best to cover as much ground as possible!

1stgear -- Thanks for posting on the thread. At least one inmate in Cedar. Some really strong local knowledge!
Post up a pic or two if you do a ride. Not sure of my schedule yet during April 15-18, but always good to entertain options. Should be very nice riding weather. Perhaps leave a bike at your place in Cedar? Think it's possible to connect almost all riding areas around St. George, perhaps with short bursts on asphalt.

There is a bike inspection place just across from the side parking lot of MotoZoo in St. George. Took my WRR there today. Total inspection time: 3 min 15 sec. Light, high beam, blinkers, brake light, license plate light, tires, brakes. No horn this time. $9 cash. 5 minutes for write-up. Small, informal operation. Could be a wait if busy, but easy to go to MotoZoo for a few minutes, then come back. Not sure how they might handle dirt bikes, but very easy with my dual sports.

Photo from a few months ago. Look for the red door, just west of MotoZoo. Richard is the main man.

Very good thread and info,we are planning a trip in Sept. for a week and hope to stay on trails and unpaved rds. for most of the week.Probably ship bikes to Vegas and work our way to your area and on to Moun. valley and etc. Mabe we can look you up when we get there.Thanks for the thread and info........................
telejojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #275
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

AZ Strip: Maple Canyon

Warmer weather, longer days, and no mud. It's time for the AZ Strip.

A warm-up pic. Here's me near the headwalls of Black Rock Gulch on Rt #1009 working south towards Maple Canyon. This road is straight south of the active Gypsum mine at the Black Rock Road exit of I-15, just 1-2 miles south of the AZ/UT border. #1009 is a slower route than nearby #1069 (Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse express), bet generally more scenic. More rock, less mud.

Benchmark Map. South on #1009, east on #1004, back to St. George on #1069. Total loop was 70-80 miles. Marked Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse as many inmates have been there. Provides a sense of scale.

Benchmark (AZ) is great, but this little map from the BLM also very useful. It shows the route numbers as they are actually signed in the field.

Close-up of the Grand Canyon-Parashant map. Route highlighted. Many, many smaller roads not shown on this map. Mount Trumbull School house is ~60+ miles from the closest gas station in St. George, so out and back (no side exploring) is a minimum 120 mile roundtrip. Near capacity for many smaller dual sports. Need larger tanks or carry substantial gas to go to "overlook" points. Essentially no services anywhere on Strip. Awesome, vast country.

Starting out. Just blasted down I-15. You can take dirt tracks from Sun River south just west of I-15, but easy enough to do a few freeway miles. Not crowded and generally courteous drivers.

Just past the UT/AZ border. Black Rock Road exit. No services.

On the south side of the exit. Heavy duty graded gravel/dirt to the Gypsum mine. Here's where we are going. It is 18 miles up through Black Rock Gulch and Maple Canyon to Black Rock Road, #1004.

The mine. Road goes right through it. Been through here on several other rides. See posts #2 and especially #207 (p. 14). Same area.

Dad's along on this ride. Awesome. Here we are just above the Gypsum mine. The red sand of Sand Hollow OHV is visible on the horizon just above my TW. Warner Valley is below that red sand.

It's the desert. Here we are at about 3,000 ft. elevation. Already it's starting to look hot and dry.

Good signage. The Low Mountain Road goes to the AZ (South) overlook down into the Virgin River Gorge above Cedar Pocket (I-15). First ride in this thread. Post #2.

Road is in good condition. Dad in "Honda Red" climbing along side of Black Rock Gulch. We play constant leap frog to try and catch a few pics in scenic spots. Actually quite easy since it is scenic almost everywhere.

I stop to get a pic of the #1009 marker. Dad riding on past.

Eventually the road drops down off the side slope and follows the main wash up into Maple Canyon. Very scenic. Some wash-outs with recent repairs. Higher elevation so a bit more forest like. Lots of camping options if you like. Very unlikely to see anyone else. Much, much less traffic than #1069, the main road from St. George to Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse and Toroweap.

Intersection with Maple Canyon and Tombstone Canyon. Both routes good. Maple is the "main" route. See Benchmark.

At the top of Maple Canyon. South from here is the Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument. Lots of roads in the momument have been "upgraded" or at least maintained. More $$$ available with National Monument status.

Older sign. Lots of character. Looking back the way we came.

Now we are on #1004. This is like a gravel/dirt highway.

Going east. Time-wise this is the fastest way back to St. George. Also more fun to do a loop. See more territory.

Cattle gate at the top of Little Wolf Hole Pass. Black Rock Mountain, Mount Bangs and Elbow Canyon (to Scenic, AZ) is behind us. Have to go that way soon. Elbow Canyon Road is steep and rough, not a dirt highway.

TW 200 at Little Wolf Hole Pass. Elevation wise, this is the high point of this loop. Overall, not really much of a pass, more a high point.

Blasting along #1004 heading east. Easy to make time here.

Lots of roads out here. Here's one heading south. Haven't been to any of these places yet. Lots of historical ranching operations and some mining. Mud mountain. I'm sure it is appropriately named. Mud on the Strip will stop you.

Typical sign. Kind of like "caveat emptor". People in the BLM office in St. George (Riverside Drive) usually have decent information on road conditions. http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/st__george.html

In Wolf Hole Valley. A little patch of purple flowers. Overall not that much color compared with prior years. Looks like a dry hot summer.

Intersection of #1004 with #1069. 30 miles back to St. George. Toroweap is 94 miles from St. George via Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse. Shorter access from Hildale/Colorado City, but not as scenic.

Grabbed this photo at top of Quail Canyon. Pretty major cut to build the road. View looking north. Red cliffs of Ivins and Snow Canyon faintly visible in distance above bike.

Passing by some cool eroded rock on the way back down in late afternoon light. Pine Valley Mountain in distance.

Back down towards St. George. Great ride with Dad. Highly recommend this loop. Black Rock Gulch and Maple Canyon #1009 are less prone to mud than #1069. Much slower and more scenic. Almost no traffic. #1069 can feel a little busy, especially close to St. George.

Appreciate all the positive comments. Thanks. Get out and ride. Rubber side down.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 03:01 PM
Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #276
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Latest ride looks awesome! Appears you need to bring gas however. BTW, I rode the loop behind Motozoo over to Silver Reef last Saturday. Fun ride, a few water crossings about 26 miles or so.
ringokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #277
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cathedral Gorge State Park, NV

Out camping with family and friends over Easter Weekend. Cathedral Gorge State Park is adjacent to Panaca, NV. Just north of Caliente (old railroad town) and south of Pioche (old mining town). Interesting. Several other Nevada state parks are nearby, but Cathedral Gorge is the best. Excellent facilities. And the small slot canyons (caves) are excellent for kids to explore!

Been over here on motos several times. Highly recommend this park.

Most of our gang was on bicycles! Very convenient for getting from the campground over to all the caves!

Lots of erosion. Dozens of small slot canyons, all easy to explore. Also fun to climb up pinnacles! Somewhat similar to Goblin Valley, but even more exciting for kids. Fun to go into the "caves" at night with headlamps!

Wife peeking out from one of the caves!

Mud walls and erosion patterns. Lots of vertical chimneys at the end of most caves.

Great scenes. All very accessible. Extremely easy to visit. Uncrowded even on holiday weekends.

More moto action soon. Thanks for checkin' in.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #278
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Above Green Valley

After dinner ride. Later evenings. Interesting clouds in St. George today. Here's a pic taken from just above Green Valley Spa, about 10 minutes from my house. 7:30 pm.

Silhouette of the graceful WRR!

Just had new rubber put on the back. Original tires were done after 5,500 miles. Opted for exact replacements of the stock tires -- Bridgestones. Good dual sport tire.

And the front. Wasn't as worn, but it was time. Also had new tubes put in both tires. Looking forward to the next 5,000 miles.

Climbing higher the views get better. Layers of multi-colored cliffs. Western "suburbs" of St. George in valley.

Favorite pic of the evening. Pine Valley Mountain is obscured by clouds in the distance. The cliffs in the foreground drop down towards the extension of Navajo Drive in Bloomington. Red and white cliffs of Snow Canyon area in middle.

Quick self-portrait on top of the bluff (dead-end) before turning around to go home. Backdrop is looking down on area between Navajo Drive and Santa Clara.

Final shot descending towards St. George. The white cliffs in the sunshine on the horizon run between the MotoZoo area all the way up to Sliver Reef. Shoulder of Pine Valley Mountain is on left. Great evening light!

Rubber side down, my friends!

RedRockRider screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 09:22 PM
Old 04-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #279
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mountain Meadows Massacre Site

The Mountain Meadows Massacre Site is ~30 miles north of St. George on Highway 18. Scenic drive just past Central. The site was dedicated as a National Historic Landmark in 2011.

In 1857 Mormon militia men killed 120 emigrants traveling in a wagon train from Arkansas to California. Some nasty history. Only 17 children under the age 7 were allowed to survive the attack. Best to have no witnesses. Website: http://www.mtn-meadows-assoc.com/the...ssociation.htm. Also some interesting books on the topic.

A few pics from my ride on Sunday (late afternoon). Heading north on 18. Recent snow on Pine Valley Mountain. Vulcan 900 very smooth on the open road.

Sign alerting you to the turn-off. Dramatic sky. Recent snow, about 5,000 ft elevation.

The gravesite memorial. Several different markers over the last 150 years.

Tribute to ancestors that were killed.

A few hundred yards further north on 18 is a second, newer memorial site. More explicit signage.

Ground where the men and boys were killed.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 02:11 PM
Old 04-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #280
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Photos from Dad

A few photos from Dad, my favorite and most frequent riding partner. Also a great photographer.

Here's Dad. I took the pic, but his camera, plus a bit of touch-up back at his desk. Above the Virgin River Gorge.

I'll let the rest speak for themselves:

Thanks Dad, for lots of great rides and many more to come!

RedRockRider screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 05:37 PM
Old 04-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #281
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Virgin River South of Bloomington

Little bit of time after dinner yesterday. Doesn't get dark until after 8 pm now.

The TW200 by the Bloomington Golf Course. Virgin River is backdrop with low angle light. I-15 cuts through the notch and the bulk of St. George is just beyond. Large square building is hospital. New exit/entrance on I-15 coming soon. We take our inflatable kayaks down this section of river, all smooth with a few riffles. Put-in is below diversion dam on Waterfront street. Take-out is Man-of-War Bridge in Bloomington. No easy take-out beyond that. Fun for kids.

Go out Navajo Drive in Bloomington. Work out onto dirt roads. Head towards Blake's Lambing Grounds but turn left (south) prior to gaining much elevation. Drop elevation down some rough dirt/rock roads. Near power lines, but don't cross. Keep dropping to Virgin River, well south of Sewer Treatment Facility in Bloomington. This is the start of the Virgin River Gorge. A couple of nice view points. Pretty remote even though only 10 miles from Bloomington pavement.

You can work your way down to water level. Some nice white sand. Here's where I turned my bike around and started to retrace my steps. Home just as it was getting dark. 25 miles total. Nice little area, seldom visited.

Thanks for checkin' in. Give me a heads up if you're in the area and want to ride. Lots of good opportunity right now and the weather is only getting better. Rubber side down.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #282
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Caliente with Dad - Preview

Great ride with Dad today. 200+ mile loop over to Caliente, NV, back via Enterprise. A few preview pics:

Lots of desert cattle country in eastern Nevada west of St. George.

Dad approaching Meadow Valley Wash and Rainbow Canyon.

Abandoned farm equipment.

In Rainbow Canyon south of Caliente.

The backside of Elgin Schoolhouse.

They still have water on the road. Check out Post #194 on page 13.

Caliente is a train town.

Gas and food!

Painting of the Union Pacific Train Depot. Stay tuned.

And some art on the box car museum.

Dirt roads on the way home via Enterprise.

Great day with Dad on the bikes!

Thanks for droppin' in!

Old 04-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #283
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Caliente, NV

The rest of the pics are organized. Kid is happily playing with a friend and wife is "relaxing." Some time for RR to Caliente.

I did this ride (solo) to Caliente from St. George in January. Posts #190 and #194 on page 13. It was a great trip and I got some good pics. Dad has been wanting to go. Just had to wait for the right time. Helps when the days a bit longer and less chance of mud at higher elevations (around Enterprise) depending on how you come home.

Here's the map:

For locals the exact route was:
- leave St. George over Utah Hill (Old 91)
- Start on dirt at Eardley Road.
- Cross Beaver Dam Wash at Lytle Ranch
- Enter Nevada and Tule Desert.
- Hit Meadow Valley Road at Lyman Crossing.
- North on Meadow Valley Road to Elgin. Start of pavement.
- Continue north through Rainbow Canyon (Nevada 317) on pavement to Caliente.
- Leave Caliente on Highway 93 north for ~5 miles. Turn right onto Beaver Dam Wash Road.
- We intended to go over Bunker Pass and cross Beaver Dam Wash and back into Utah at Motoqua, but we followed a sign to St. George just north of Barclay which steered us to Skyler's Corner, the Acoma Crossing, and eventually Crestline Road.
- Follow Crestline Road (high quality dirt) back to pavement and east into Enterprise, UT.
- From Enterprise it is a fast run back down Highway 18 to St. George.

As always Benchmark (NV) has all this is great detail. I'll post up more on this area in the future. All of this route would be easy on any dual sport bike. Mud would be the only factor to keep an eye on. Much of it can be ridden quite briskly.

Question: Any inmates been to Carp? Never did go south from Lyman Crossing to check it out. Is it possible to follow the Union Pacific (private road) from Carp south down through the Meadow Valley Wash to Moapa?

On the backside of the Utah Hill (Old 91), just starting to descend. Relatively new sign. Old 91 is an excellent paved motorbike road!

Saw three signs like this nearby.

These were the only trees in sight. I'm from back east (lots of trees). Wasn't uncommon to see "decapitated" X-mas trees. I guess this is what a cowboy would use?

On the Eardley Road headed for Beaver Dam Wash. Road is in excellent condition. There was a recent powerline project in the area (lots of equipment) and the road has been upgraded and regularly maintained. Still scenic.

Desert plants.

Looking down on Dad as he drops down into Beaver Dam Wash at Lytle Ranch. Also some kind of a project going on here. Will have to check it out on a future ride. We were anxious to get over into Nevada.

Still decent water flow in Beaver Dam Wash, but a very easy crossing. Smooth and predictable.

Good to have the SPOT along. This is where it starts to get remote. Would be very easy not to see another person all day. There are several sections through the Tule Desert where you are 25+ miles from the nearest point you would likely see another person. Realistically, further than you could walk out on your own.

Sign at the crossing into Nevada. We are headed to Meadow Valley Road. We intended to go to Barclay on the back, but never quite got there. The dirt roads of Nevada have better signage than the dirt roads of Utah for the most part. Also more maintenance.

Lots of cattle at Snow Spring.

This little dude was peacefully sleeping in the sun and didn't wake up, even as I approached him. Nearby, mom was making a racket, but junior was sacked out. After a pic I was on my way.

Approaching the Tule Desert. Here's what most of the roads looked like for the day. Also a standard mirror self-portrait!

In the Tule Desert looking back to the east where we came from. West Mountain Peak with some snow in the far distance is 7500 ft elevation and on the west side of St. George. Though of as part of Utah Hill.

Dad, taking a break. Lots of (healthy) Joshua trees. Mormon Mountains to the west in the background.

There are a couple of washes as you cross the Tule Desert, but the road is very graded and maintained. For the most part the ride is fast and smooth.

Dad and I leapfrog alot through here. Good chance for a mirror shot as Dad catches up.

End of the Tule Desert. Down Rainbow Pass to Meadow Valley Wash and Lyman Crossing. Rainbow Pass is not much of anything at all. Smooth, easy wide dirt. A left turn at this sign takes you south (Carp Road) past the Mormon Mountain and eventually to I-15 south of Mesquite. Did this ride as part of my January Caliente trip. Easy, not as scenic. The Carp/Elgin exit on I-15 is the middle of nowhere. Believe it or not, this is the road (50+ miles of dirt) that the exit sign is referencing.

Down to Meadow Valley Wash at Lyman Crossing. Anyone been south to Carp from here? All the way to Moapa?

Just north there is a burned out metal building and lots of old farm equipment. Lots of pics from here last time. Dad is happily photographing the old farm equipment. So I pull my bike inside the shade of the building.

Inside the skeleton of the building. Hey, lots of fresh supplies around. We are not alone . . .

Easy to recognize that Costco water.

More Costco stuff . . .

Nice hat and an overnight bag. Someone is definitely close by. These are not just party supplies for teenagers.

Time to get one or two more pics of the old farm equipment and get moving.

Why are these old things so interesting?

Active Union Pacific tracks in Meadow Valley. Seems like a few trains per day. This canyon is very scenic and easily accessible from Caliente. Very high recommendation! Any car or road bike could make it this far south.

Time to take a quick look up onto the tracks. Classic railroad stuff -- bridge over water then track goes immediately into tunnel.

Some water in Meadow Valley Wash. It appears and disappears at several places. Assume it runs underground then resurfaces. Very striking to find water in the desert.

Dirt ends at Elgin School House. Start of pavement (NV #317). You have to look for the schoolhouse. It is across the railroad tracks. Don't miss it!

The schoolhouse is closed (not like Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse), but you can view the grounds. A real sense of history. Things were different here.

The outhouse behind the school.

Bad form. Some one left the seat open.

Small flowers with my boot.

On to the pavement in Rainbow Canyon. Going north to Caliente. This road has been recently rebuilt and is a very fun stretch for motorcycles with almost no traffic. Curves, dips and scenery!

Warning sign! You would think this would be fixed. Not that it really matters.

Thanks to Dad for a couple of photos of me. An easy drive through the water. Don't go off the edge though, it seems to drop to several feet (or more) quite abruptly. This could also be a bit of a challenge in freezing temps (on a road bike). Don't hit it going fast.

Action photo of Dad on the move in Rainbow Canyon. Lots of different colored rock!

Late afternoon by the time we get to Caliente. Time for food and gas. Caliente has everything (including cheap hotels) that you would need for a break or a night. A good little ADV town!

Hey, dedicated inmate parking. You gotta like this!

Food. Totally acceptable. Nothing fantastic. Very nice people. Friendly little place.

We fill up with gas. Our trip odometers were just over 100 miles, perhaps 110 or 120. The reserve light on my bike just went on during the pavement in Rainbow Canyon, probably right at 100 miles. I was carrying bit of extra gas but knew I wouldn't need it, unless there was trouble. Dad's bike consistently gets almost 100 miles to the gallon. His Honda has a 2+ gallon tank so he was only half empty. His bike took about a gallon. Mine took close to 1.5. I think Dad's bike could easily go 200+ miles on a tankful. We'll have to test that with a Grand Canyon run shortly.

After food and fuel and ready to go.

The Caliente Train Station. This is the landmark building in town and very prominent on the east side of the main road. It is worth poking around if you are passing through. An elegant piece of history.

Historical sign:

There are a few boxcars at the southern end of the parking area.

Oops. Wonder what's inside. Have to come back on a Wednesday at 10 am to find out.

The outside artwork caught my eye.

More boxcar artwork. Nice to see a town proud of its history.

Rainbow Canyon and Caliente were the highlights, so we took our time. Leaving Caliente we head north on Highway 93 for about 5 miles. Easy to see the sign for Beaver Dam Wash (Nevada State Park). I actually have never been to the State Park. Have to go sometime soon. Don't think there is much there, although I'm sure it is scenic. Been all around it on National Forest and BLM land.

This is also a fast, graded dirt road. In fact a dirt highway!

My bike. The new tires are performing nicely!

Near Barclay, NV. Parking place for road graders. Lots of recent grading out here. Nevada is on top of these roads. Almost no washboard!

Equipment from the past. All interesting.

Here's the whole scene. Old tank and windmill plus road grader parking. Beautiful day with Dad. This pic is taken at the "CrossRoads" on the Benchmark, NV map, on the Beaver Dam Wash Road. Good fast roads in this area.

Just past here we saw the St. George sign, so we followed it. We intended to go over Bunker Pass and back via Motoqua. This gradually took us north to Crestline Road so we ended up going home via Enterprise. All good. This leaves Bunker Pass for another day -- soon. No more threat of snow. Not much threat of mud.

Quick photo of Dad and our bikes. Even when we are cruising along we stop for pics and water. Good to stretch our legs. Dad is really good at putting in the miles. He likes to be out on the bikes.

Small memorial beside the road and train track. About 10 years ago a local boy, age 10, was killed while riding his motorcycle around a blind corner. He hit a bus carrying Nevada convicts who were fighting a forest fire. No helmet for the boy. Be careful on those blind corners!

Crossing over the tracks at Acoma. Have to go back out this way. There was an older railroad car nearby that looked interesting.

At this point we are back in Utah at the intersection with Crestline Road. This is also a good dirt road that turns to pavement at it continues east to the town of Enterprise, UT. I've been on this road with street motorcycles. No problem, unless its muddy.

Last pic of some old farm equipment. Gotta love that late afternoon light. Note the horses checking me out in the background.

Small reservoir right beside the paved road, west of Enterprise.

In Enterprise Dad and I stop to put on some warmth before blasting down Highway 18 to St. George. It is about 45 fast scenic miles. Goes up to 6000 ft so it can be noticeably cooler. We each had an extra layer, so easy to put it on.

I grabbed this pic at one of the gas stations in Veyo. Still nice and warm at 8 pm. Great day with Dad. Again, I highly recommend Caliente. Lots of ways to get there from St. George, both dirt and paved. Let me know if anyone wants to go.

Thanks for ridin' along!

RedRockRider screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 06:46 PM
Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #284
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 646
My family and I love St. George area. We were just there early April. I rode my KLR 650 from there to Moab--but it was mostly I-15. Next time we are there I am PMing you.
Please enjoy as much time with your Dad as you can. YOU ARE DOING GREAT!
I can't post pictures yet, but will of me in Moab and Colorado National Monument.
Excellent rides and pictures. Are they looking for anesthesiologists in St.George? What a great city.
Simba
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #285
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Simbaboy!

Always nice to find a message, especially one so thoughtful. AND it looks like your first post as an inmate, very flattering. You are now "delurked." Appreciate you coming out. Hope it was good.

Let me say, that is one colorful bike you have. Pics are definitely warranted. Throw a post together once you are organized. Smugmug is quite easy after the first time.

My wife is a Metabolic Geneticist on staff Dixie Regional Medical Center (IHC), the only hospital in town. Previously she worked at Johns Hopkins, Harvard, AI Dupont (Delaware), all big time institutions. Overall she is impressed with the quality of docs at IHC. We socialize a lot with them. Friendly, good people.

I think there are 8-10 anesthesiologists in town??? All the anesthesiologists at the hospital work as an independent group, not employees of IHC. This might change though. The hospital has been systematically taking different groups in-house -- some orthopods, radiologists (probably next). For the most part it seems to be a cooperative process. There may be some independent anesthesiologists around as well (out-patient clinics, etc.)

Probably better dual sport moto riding (and weather) in St. George compared to Lansing? Worth considering . . .