Oddometer: 832
Awesome hike. Especially if its hot!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #392
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,457
Thanks for the next edition great as usual.
I met up with family and friends in Zion in June. The lower narrows was like waiting for a grand opening of Disneyland !
We hiked Subway definitely the best Zion hike so far.
I would love to do the full narrows hike someday.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #393
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Versys and Wee-Strom Adventure out to play

Buddy calls. New bike. Suzuki Wee-Strom Adventure. Only ~150 miles so far. Off on Wednesday -- time to ride. We do a big twisty figure eight up around Brian Head to beat the heat, almost 300 miles. Some excellent motorcycle roads. All familar to me, but some new to my buddy Ken. We hit Cedar City, Cedar Breaks, Brian Head Peak, Panguitch, Long Valley Junction, Duck Creek, Parowan and back to St. George.

Ken works at MotoZoo in St. George. Great guy. Stop by and ask him about buying his Wee-Strom Adventure. He doesn't like it. I rode it some. Notchy shifting, no acceleration, and crappy suspension. Also, ask Ken about his rain gear.

Our bikes at Cedar Breaks.

And the view.

Top of Brian Head Peak. 11,300+. Highest mountain in area. About 30 degrees cooler than St. George.

Excellent twisty road down to Panguitch Lake (UT 143). Ken highly recommends this road!

More twisties down to Panguitch town for lunch at Henrie's. What's a ride without food?

Big sweepers on UT 89 south to Long Valley Junction. Not as much fun as 143 but still good riding. Note the ominous sky . . .

We boldly head back up to Duck Creek and Navajo Lake. There may have been some rain in this section. One of us had rain gear so it didn't really matter. Also saw a big truck off the road in a ditch. Driver was ok. He was getting ready to make a difficult phone call to his boss . . . Not an easy day for him. Didn't want to take any pics, but it was not good.

Last pic. Getting gas at Maverick in Parowan before blasting back down I-15 for dinner at home. Good ride. Too bad Ken doesn't like his bike.

Thanks for checkin' in. Ride often, ride safe!

P.S. UT 14 from Cedar City to Duck Creek is now open although there are 2-3 short construction sections with alternating traffic regulated by stoplight. Major road redo almost complete. Nearby Parowan Canyon (UT 143) is probably more interesting on a moto! Use paved frontage road between Cedar City and Parowan (via Enoch and Summit) to avoid some of I-15.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 10:06 AM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #394
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yankee Meadows Reservoir

Spent the recent weekend at Brian Head with family -- moto riding with Dad, ATVs with family, and some nice hiking. A few photos of a morning moto ride with Dad.

We start out by leaving Brian Head on pavement up to Cedar Breaks. Grab a photo of the sign in morning light.

Turn left on Rt. 143 towards Panguitch Lake and drop 6 miles to turn-off (left side) onto good dirt -- Sydney Valley Road. Lots of camping in the area. Dad grabs of photo of me with my WR 250R. This bike is living at Brian Head for the summer.

Castle Creek, flows in to Mammoth Creek. About 10,000 ft. Beautiful mountain scenery on the backside of Brian Head Peak.

Dad starting the descent. One large switch back and lots of smaller turns. Good territory for dual sport bikes.

Quite a lot of recent rain. We're finding some puddles to splash through. Road is rocky, not muddy. Bikes don't even get dirty.

At the intersection with Second Left Hand Fork. Good mountain biking in this area. About a 5,000 ft. descent from Brian Head Peak to near Parowan. The "vertical mile."

Yankee Meadows Reservoir. The water level is low in spite of recent rains. Lots of activity (mostly fishing) on a Saturday morning.

Classic western fence in areas with abundant timber.

The road below Yankee Meadows Reservoir is quite good. Several scenic red rock outcroppings.

Still early in the day so we drop down to Parowan for breakfast.

Slow service but good food. No hurries here. We plan the ride back up the hill. Probably the Dry Lakes Road, just for variety. Easy to see all this on Benchmark.

No pics from the Dry Lakes Road, just enjoying the ride with Dad. But, later in the weekend a nice family hike. Here are the wife and son at the top of Giant Steps with no snow. It'll look different in January! Word is the the ski resort was just sold so there may be some interesting changes coming . . .

Finish with a flower pic. Not quite as many as prior years (light snow year), but the summer rains are perking things up a bit. Lots of yellow colors in the high meadows. Paved roads around Cedar Breaks are great for motos. Some of the dirt roads are even better. Loop from Yankee Meadows to Brian Head is very scenic and easy to make lots of variations.

Thanks for checkin' in. Ride safe, ride often!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #395
jpkailua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Looks like a camped right across from where you took your picture on Lime Kiln rd.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #396
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,457
Thanks for the recent pics, I happened to look at the radar the other day and it was all green, yellow and red over your part of the state. I hope those puddles were the worst of it.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #397
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
My contribution to your Zion pics

I hiked Angels Landing and the Narrows in June -- what an awesome experience - Im jealous that you live so close !

My brother, father and I hiked the Narrows from The temple up a bit past Orderville canyon - I'll definately be back to hike from the top down.

Angels Landing was crazy - Im not big on heights so this was pushing the envelope.. it was amazing !

can you find me in this pic :)

BTW - great ride reports - Keep em coming !!!

Superhawk screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 05:09 PM
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #398
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pinto -- north of St. George

First -- thanks inmates for all the positive comments -- ringokelly, Ol Man, DCZ, TheAdmiral, swimmer, NSFW, samthg, Bob, and especially jpkailua and Superhawk for the pics of Lime Kiln and Zion. Nice!

Greetings to my "lurker" friends also.

Yesterday went out on the Vulcan on roads north of St. George. Just cruising along, no particular agenda. Sometimes this is best. Surprisingly, the Vulcan does fine on hard pack dirt or gravel, as long as speed is moderate. Not much ground clearance but still fine to get off the beaten path a little bit. Vulcan really excels cruising at 60-80 mph!

Vulcan at Baker Dam Reservoir, just north of Veyo on Highway 18. Water level is reasonable high for this time of year given lots of recent rain.

Cruised up to Pine Valley. Will be camping with the Cub Scouts up here in a few weeks. Wanted to check out a few trails. Lots of recent forest service work. Paved trail next to Santa Clara River. These nice women on horses somehow got off the equestrian trail and were a bit disoriented. I got them going in the in right direction.

Some clouds were building in the early afternoon. This would ending up forcing me to take cover for rain delay, but nothing major.

Arriving in Pinto. Been through here before, but not documented on ADV. Just a few houses. Not much of a town, but a pretty setting. Some early pioneer history.

Pinto Creek. Recent rain. Creek is flowing fast and brown (sediment) for this time of year.

There is a plaque commemorating an original church. No remnants. Also an old cemetery. Many of the first towns of Southwestern Utah were established in the 1860s.

Old tanker trailer. Not sure if this was for water or cement???

Heading north, I look back on part of Pinto Valley.

Just as I reach New Castle (pavement) the rain starts. I pull into the gas station and wait out the rain. This poor dog took cover beside my motorcycle. He didn't look happy.

Chatted with a few locals. Colorful characters. Waited for the sun to come out. Didn't take long. Not much else in New Castle.

This short dirt road is on the pavement run over to Enterprise. Always good to check out the local history points.

This is a spot where a wagon train split ways.

A few wagons stayed with the leader, Jefferson Hunt. The vast majority of wagons split off in a new direction to the west.

Here's part of the story. More from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley_'49ers

And the local map. St. George is straight south from Enterprise.

Some crazy roadside "art" from Enterprise. Just doesn't quite have the same appeal as the graceful windspinners from the art galleries in Springdale near Zion.

On the way back to St. George.

Thanks again inmates and lurkers. Ride safe out there.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #399
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Subway Hike - Zion National Park

One of the marquee hikes of Zion. Easiest with some rope skills. Permit required.

At the beginning of the interesting part.

My KLR buddy Eddie dropping down one of the first obstacles.

Couple of swims through places like this. Much more of a slot canyon than the Narrows.

The famous "north pole" tree.

A recent flash flood left debris on the right-hand shelf, at least 10 feet above the sandy watercourse. Good place for lunch in the sun.

Rappelling down into the "subway" itself.

RedRockRider in the subway!

Beautiful red ledges and small waterfalls as you exit the subway. Lots of water for late summer. Still lots of hiking and a climb out. One of Zion's best adventures!

Old 08-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #400
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
The subways on my list too - great pics !
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #401
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Thanks for sharing. I did the Subway last July with my oldest son and a bunch of other teenage boys. Loved it!!!!

I also recognized some of your other pics out near Lime Kiln Canyon. I did that road a year ago March on my way to Toroweap. Loved it as well.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #402
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Wow!

Another great off-road adventure . . . of the motor-less kind! Awesome area!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #403
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,904
this thread deserves 5 stars....

lots of awesome pics.

love to check out those places....and of course, will bring my tw200......

NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #404
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

TW on Mojave Desert Joshua Tree Scenic Backway

Thanks, inmates. Appreciate all the positive. Yeah, bring your TWs or other motos through St. George. Lots of good local riding! Lunch on me. Star ranking -- bring it on!

Took the TW out for a Friday afternoon spin. Went west of St. George (Navajo Drive, Bloomington), and up to Apex Mine area and Joshua Tree Scenic Backway. Did lots of exploring of smaller cut-offs. Almost all familiar territory. Been riding this area many times. Frequent posts. Two good ones are #17 and #95. I'll include the map from post #95 since it is here.

My route was close to the yellow highlight. A few variations, especially on the western slopes of Bulldog Canyon.

As an aside, this area makes an alternative bypass to riding up I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge, or south onto the AZ Strip (if going from Mesquite via Lime Kiln or Elbow Canyon towards Toroweap), or Old Highway #91 (paved) over the Utah Hill. These are all good options. Pick your level of pavement, or smooth/roughness of dirt/rock.

Late afternoon light was good. Some pics. A short bit of off-road exploring up high in Blake's Lambing Grounds. Expansive views looking down on red/white rocks and the western side of St. George. Less than 30 min from my house. Possible to see my house with binoculars if you know where to look.

Apex Mine Site. Been closed for a while. Don't know the history. Recently the road has been plowed up with trenches. Guess the mine owner didn't want riff-raff going in on sightseeing trips. It's blocked up to anything with wheels quite effectively.

New sign. The Apex Mine is the reason part of the road (from Old #91, near Shivwits Indian Reservation) is well designed and graded with some gravel. Probably saw a lot of truck traffic in its day. Still a good road, unless wet. Then there are a few slippery mud slopes.

On the good road near Jarvis Peak. Very visible directly west of St. George (referred to as Utah Hill).

South of Mine Valley near Bulldog Pass. Dropping down into the upper reaches of Cedar Pockets Wash. Small tracks disappear in the wash, then you encounter boundary markers. Cedar Pockets is an exit from I-15 in the middle of the Virgin River Gorge.

Too hot right now, but this is cattle grazing country. Tank above Cedar Pockets Wash.

Almost full. Looks good. Won't be long before cattle.

Further west in Bulldog Canyon, checking out a few side tracks. They generally get rougher as they climb the side canyons. This small depression collected a lot of tumbleweed. Much tougher than I expected to kick it out of the way.

More remote water tanks. The sculpted hills/mountain in the background is very striking. Lots of this type of erosion with sparse vegetation in this area.

Climbed up the ridge with powerline towers. See the tiny TW 200?

Silhouette. Looking west down to Beaver Dam, AZ and eventually Mesquite, NV.

View down the powerlines. This was not my route. Came up the back way.

Dad is off playing around in Europe, so I'll have to take my own pic!

Glamour shot for the TW 200. West Mountain Peak is on the horizon above the handlebars. Post #121 on top of page 9. Lots of towers on top. Good ride if you like to climb hills. Check it out.

Dropped back down low. Powerlines are below distant summit (on intermediate ridgeline). Lots of big views in this area.

Dry tank just outside the boundary of the National Joshua Tree conservation area. Easier exploring once down off the mountains.

Fire burned through this area about 15 years ago. Also, this is the northernmost area with a large concentration of Joshua Trees. Edge of the Mojave Desert. Some active research by scientists. Plus a good area for motos, and almost everything is open. Not many people.

Close-up and personal with the TW exploring a gravelly wash.

Back on road, the obligatory mirror shot.

Typical scene. Most of the riding was like this. About 80 miles total.

Grabbed this pic looking back over my shoulder, just before hitting pavement at Old Highway 91. High ground of AZ Strip near Mount Bangs is in distant background.

On pavement. If you're coming from Mesquite area, look for this sign on Old Highway #91 before you start up over the Utah Hill. Took mostly pavement back to St. George with just a bit side exploration on dirt near Welcome Spring. Will save that for another day.

Currently at Brian Head for the weekend with family. ATV riding and inflatable kayaks on the Sevier River (Big Rock Candy Mountain, near Marysville). Perhaps a few moto pics tomorrow.

As always, thanks for checking in. Ride safe, ride often.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 09:03 AM
Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #405
DCZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Thanks again for taking us along - we are going to try and make it over that way late fall and see some of these great places!

Rick
DCZ is offline   Reply With Quote