User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #436
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,487
Nice fall colors and cool Pinnacles.
I always look across th valley going into S G and wonder what is out at sand hollow res, now I have a better idea!
Thanks
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #437
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
First, let me say your Canyoneering adventure is pretty cool. I couldn't do it, but looks like a bunch of awesome places.

On your most recent TW ride in the Pinnacles, if that doesn't inspire someone to get out and ride, I don't know what will. Great colors and scenery. I wish we had more red color's on the leaves here. I see very little color other than green, yellow, gone. Nice to see the red.

The two track area was pretty interesting as well, with more great scenery. If one gets off the main roads, there's lots to explore and see. Never know what's around the next bend. Hope your not advertising the area too much! You might have a rush of dual sport riders crawling all over the place. Ah, probably not, but they (me) are sure missing out on some good riding!

On those mystery how long will it be rides, I use to strap extra gas on the TW rack too. Last year I upgraded to a larger gas tank off a mid 80's XT600 (I think). This upgrade gave me an extra gallon on-board, which makes those rides like you just took a little less gas-shortage scary!!

Anyway, thanks for another round of great photo's. Take care and good rid'in!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #438
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Thanks Bob and TheAdmiral

Thanks guys. Yeah, the fall colors have been good and The Pinnacles is a great riding area. Not much danger of overcrowding. Nice to find red leaves, or at least bright yellows. Worst is green-to-brown-and-gone.

OEMs should make a small dual sport with a large tank and carrying capacity. Concept bike from Yamaha. Be great to see a bike like this in USA. Perhaps even a mid-size version around 500 cc. Mid-size Tenere (XT660Z) would also be welcome. Next few years might see a much better range of ADV bikes!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #439
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Green Valley - Huntsman Senior Games

I frequently go for a late afternoon motorbike ride in the dirt just past Green Valley (west side of St. George). Area is only a few miles from my house and a good variety of roads / tracks. Scenic bluffs look down on Bloomington and west to Utah Hill. Great (distant) views back to Snow Canyon and Pine Valley Mountain.

The other night I found signs for the mountain bike races of the Hunstman Senior Games. This was the end of long, rocky uphill. Lots of respect for seniors that rode their bikes up this hill!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #440
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Spry Canyon, Zion National Park

Spry is in the heart of Zion. A bit more technical than Mystery or Pine Creek. About 12 rappels, mostly ~100 ft. Only a small amount of water. Most (but not all) can be avoided with careful down climbing. The starting point for Spry is just past the top of the tunnel (on the left side of the road). Ending point is below tunnel at the first switchback. Good times!

In the upper bowl of Spry Canyon.

Near the bottom of the first rappel. 165 ft. Water can be avoided by walking along ledge.

Beautiful slickrock in Upper Spry Canyon.

Setting the rope for one of the early rappels into a deep, dark slot.

Dropping into the slot.

Avoiding as much water as possible. Cooler temps place a premium on down climbing.

Colorful, soaring walls, and free hanging rappels!

My buddy with the "eyeballs" took most of these photos. Nicely done!

Another rappel towards water.

The canyon opens up and the final rappel is over a 90 ft cliff band down towards Pine Creek. The switchbacks of the road rising toward the tunnel are visible on the hill behind me.

If you ever get the chance do a few Zion Canyons. Perhaps the best canyoneering in the world!

More motos coming shortly!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #441
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Thanks for taking us along to parts of Zion I'll never see. I wish I could have started this about 40 years ago. Now it's hard to walk to the mailbox.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #442
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,487
Spry Canyon pics
RRR I think you mentioned your climbing shop in SG, but I am overlooking it? I'd like to check it out next time I get down there.
Thanks again for the pics and report.
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #443
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lund, Utah

Great ride last week. Just now getting time to post. Wife was out of town for the weekend. Busy with son -- Cub Scout stuff and launching model rockets.

Took the Versys out to Lund, UT. North of Enterprise, along an active Union Pacific line. Trains were the highlight, so I'll start with one.

Could have been kind of cold for the higher country near Brian Head. Not yet necessary to retreat to lower elevation and the desert. Lots of elevation on this trip about 5,000 ft. And lots of weather blowing around. I avoided rain, but it made for an interesting day. Probably about 250 miles total, but I didn't keep careful track.

Here's the map. This is the official Utah highway edition, available to most Utah entry points. Most current map I have found for showing paved roads. Not nearly enough detail for off-road rides. Benchmark remains best. But for road rides, this little map accurately shows where there is pavement.

Dirt section between Beryl and Latimer was graded gravel. Lots of 30-40 mph. No problem. It would get slippery if wet, but luckily I avoided this. Lots of territory to explore to the north and west of Lund. Would require dual sport to do it properly.

Fast pavement from St. George to Enterprise to Beryl Junction. This is just off the pavement north of Beryl Junction on the way to Beryl. Abandoned house. Worth a quick stop and photo opp!

This sign is at the end of the pavement in Beryl. Start of the Union Pacific railroad line. Beryl is not really a town, just 1-2 houses nearby. Good western scenery. The rail line runs back to Modena, UT (on UT 56). This is the same rail line that goes through Caliente, NV and Rainbow Canyon south of Caliente. Check out rides in Post #190, #194 (page 13) and Post #286, #287 (page 20). Index on page 1.

Bike on the tracks at Beryl. Wheels seemed to touch the rails perfectly.

Union Pacific logo on nearby maintenance shed.

Beryl did have a few old railroad buildings. This tower certainly catches your eye. A bit of a "ghost" town feel here.

Old building along the railroad front.

End of the pavement. On graded gravel on the way to Lund. Road is parallel to track. Telephone poles add the railroad scenery. A few sections of road had looser gravel, and some dirt in low spots. Easy riding, but needed to pay attention on a road bike. A dual sport would really rip along this section, but it is a longish slab ride back to St. George. The slab rides on the Versys are just plain fun!

Simple sign post at Lund. Lots of interesting history. A bit of a ghost town feel here also. Pics of some buildings to follow.

Several old houses along the tracks near Lund.

View out the window. A few of the older houses might make a good camping spot, especially if you like watching trains.

These engines came by as I was checking out the houses. I've been around moving trains a few times before, but these are big. Really big.

Lots of abandoned (?) rail cars on a siding.

Loading instructions. Little cartoon man is funny.

Sky is darkening as I'm poking around the tracks at Lund. Great old caboose, no longer in use.

Looks like it should be right out of an old movie set. Dramatic light. I'm starting to pay more attention to weather rolling in from the west.

Inside the caboose.

The logo. Saw a "modern" train go by while standing here. No caboose. Perhaps not used anymore.

Hopped on the bike and continue north towards Minersville. This direction was my intention, and also the best route to avoid (or outrun) the storm. I managed to stay just in front (to the edge) of it. Lots of weather happening behind me. After mostly outdistancing it (by moving north out of its path), I stopped for a pic of the bike. This rain on my windshield was the brunt of it. Not enough water for me to break out the rain gear.

Just enough rain to create some wet dirt, but not enough to start making mud on the road. Tire still has dry dirt on it. Road didn't get slippery, but just a bit more rain and it would have been a different, much slower, ride. Glad that didn't happen.

Another RR crossing near Latimer. (Nothing here). My road didn't cross tracks, but I dutifully took a look at each crossing. Still keeping my eye on some pretty dramatic skies.

Versys on the tracks again, looking back the way we came. Like this pic. Captures the spirit of the day.

Left the tracks at this point. Headed to Minersville. Hit pavement on the Thermo Road about half way there. Will have to come back this way on the WR or TW and check out the hot springs.

Picked up speed once on pavement. No pics of Minersville. This is just south on UT 130. Excellent motorbike road!

Looking back at the summit sign. Weather still threatening, but now I had good roads and was actually in the sun for the rest of ride.

On the road to Parowan Gap, visible in pic. Lots of petroglyphs here. Average quality. Post #383, page 26.

On the "Gap" road headed back towards Parowan is the "Little Salt Lake." The salt flat is easily visible from several overlooks near Brian Head. Decided to stop in and grab a pic.

Gravel road just above Little Salt Lake. Full afternoon sun now. Some weather above mountains near Brian Head (behind bike). Thought about looping up this direction, but didn't want to cold of 10,000 ft. Decided to twist the throttle and head down I-15 to St. George.

Versys does really well on this type of mixed riding. Fine on easy gravel / dirt. Excels on twisty pavement. Acceptable for chewing up interstate miles. Speed limits in southern Utah are 75 mph. Flow of traffic is 80-90 mph with some elevation changes. 250 dual sports just can't do these speeds.

Very nice day on the bike. Area out by Lund is a good diversion, especially if you like trains and old buildings. Not many people! The beginning of lots of good territory. As always, thanks for riding along.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 09:23 AM
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #444
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Inmate Ride, Friday, 11/2

Meet at MotoZoo at 11 am. Easy dual sport ride. Any non street bike will work fine. All welcome.

Post up or pm me if you're planning to join. We'll kill a few minutes after 11 am, but not too long . . .

Ride safe out there.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #445
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Photo of your bike at the railroad crossing was kinda cool. I liked the gray cloud background. I'm lways interested in the railroad theme and the caboose was really interesting. Is the caboose part of a display, or was it just sitting out there in the open for all to venture in? Guessing it could be a long ago broken lock which allows entry! Either way, neat.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #446
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Inmate Ride - Dirt to Silver Reef

Nice inmate ride yesterday. Dirt from St. George up to Silver Reef. Went with Miki, Gregg, and Kelly - all inmates or lurkers. Great way to spend a couple of hours. All the guys have road bikes also, so there's some asphalt in our future. Perhaps a run over to Caliente. Only grabbed a few pics. Here are three of our bikes on the dirt road heading to Silver Reef. Fantastic scenery in this area.

We reconnect with pavement at Leeds. Thanks, Miki, Gregg & Kelly. Ride again soon.

The map or our route. Benchmark. Easy to get back to St. George on surface roads just south of I-15. Other than Miki's KLR the little bikes do better away from the trucks doing 75 mph.

I had time on Friday afternoon, so I spent a few hours poking around off the beaten path in Silver Reef. A few pics.

Lots of old buildings.

Several old cemeteries.

Some very nice fall color. Peak season at lower elevations.

More pics to follow. Thanks for checkin' in.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 10:39 PM
Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #447
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

More Pics from around Silver Reef

After the inmates departed, I spent some time poking around Silver Reef. Sampling of pics.

TW 200 near on old mine shaft entrance. Went back here on ATVs over the weekend. My son was fascinated by the mining history.

Lots of old foundations on the back side of "the reef." Beautiful red rock cliffs with views up to Pine Valley Mountain.

Modern house. Great views down isolated valley with Leeds Creek.

Leeds Creek (dry). Fall color along the wash.

All the old mining shafts have been sealed over. Good safety precaution. These would be a death trap. Many go straight down hundreds of feet.

Fall color is at its peak along the drainages.

Several little tracks and washes to explore.

Always surprising to find so much fall color in the desert.

Exploring along a dry part of the wash.

Crossing a "wet" part of Leeds Creek. The bigger trees and water always go together.

Permanent water here. Little oasis in the desert.

Old mining equipment.

One of the named mines.

Looking in and down.

Self portrait. Yellow trees along Leeds Creek.

Major mineshaft on top of reef.

Steel safety grate with reinforcing beams. This hole was deep. Easy to test by tossing small rocks through the grate.

540 ft. deep!

Survey marker.

Nearby is the Catholic Pioneer Cemetery.

Very few, if any, miners were Mormans. Mormans settled nearby Leeds with an agricultural focus. Silver Reef was rough and tumble -- saloons and women . . .

Tombstone. Only 1 year old. All too common 100+ years ago.

One or two protected older tombstones. New marker in ground.

The new marker. 60 years old. From Ireland. Catholic cemetery - makes sense. No Hafens or Barlows here.

A few more recent tombstones. Perhaps direct descendants of original miners.

Old mining headframe in a different area of "the reef." Cool stuff.

Looking down on the Catholic Pioneer Cemetery. The "Silver Reef" is the white rock below the red cliff. Most of the mine shafts are in the white rock. Most old foundations are behind the white rock near Leeds Creek.

Unexpected find. Chess piece atop a bluff overlooking I-15.

Triple trailer truck below.

TW 200 above I-15.

Looped back down to see the Protestant Pioneer Cemetery.

No sharing between Catholics and Protestants. There were also Chinese mineworkers, but apparently most of the Chinese dead were returned to China. Wooden crosses are, of course, not from 100+ years ago. Must be relatively recent boy scout project or similar effort.

Protestant names.

Original markers.

Fall colors in late afternoon sun.

And with the bike and the red cliffs.

Here is the view east towards lower desert areas of Zion from a ridge on the eastern side of Leeds.

Arriving back at the garage door.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #448
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,948
Love Utah! Thanks for continually showing me why I do

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #449
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

You show that if anyone takes the time to get off the main trail, there's lots to see. Course, you have to like history! The old cemeteries are fairly interesting and give just a hint of how hard life was, way back when. As always, enjoy reading your thread. Top notch!

Old 11-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #450
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, UpST8 and TheAdmiral

Appreciate your comments! Enjoying your threads also. Ride safe!