Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #46
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Thumb

Great photos, thanks for sharing.
Corner of the world you live in is one of my favorites.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #47
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Zuma visits Southgate GC

[QUOTE=RedRockRider;17020440]Hey Sam -- You know St. George! Sunbrook is "across" (Green Valley) from my house (Shadow Mtn). We are high on the hill. My backyard goes up on the Black Hill. You can climb it and look down on the "old" airport. Southgate is the golf course down by the Santa Clara River. Most of the front nine got wrecked up by floods a year or two ago. All put back together now. I'll post up a few pics in a day or two.

Out and about town today on the Zuma. Went by Southgate, a golf course by the Santa Clara River. A flood 1-2 years ago damaged most of the front nine. Federal money was used to rock up the river bank and golf course has been redesigned and rebuilt. Still lots of construction in the area because a new interchange for I-15 will put entrance/exit ramps onto Dixie Drive, just adjacent to Southgate.

View north (upstream) from bridge (Dixie Drive) above Santa Clara River. Recent rain has relatively high flow for this time of year.

And the view south (downstream).

Fellow inmates -- anywhere else the Zuma should visit around town???

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #48
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
[QUOTE=RedRockRider;17027849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post

Fellow inmates -- anywhere else the Zuma should visit around town???
Sure! If the Zuma doesn't mind going as far as Ivins. You could visit the new location of the Sweet Pea Bakery and Cafe. On 200 East and around 550 South. You get extra points if the owner, Mary, is in the photo. Tell her that her friends from Park City will be in soon for a meal.
Do yourself and favor and buy a piece of her coffee cake.

quota screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 11:50 PM
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #49
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Snow Canyon, Sand Cove Rd, Gunlock Reservoir

A very scenic, short loop, just north of St. George. Snow Canyon State Park, Sand Cove Road, Gunlock Reservoir, and home via Santa Clara. The loop is all paved except about 10 miles on Sand Cove Road, which is for the most part very good gravel, passable with a street bike unless there has been recent rain. Total - about 50 miles. Here's the map.

Enjoy, fellow inmates!

Entering Snow Canyon State Park (late Sunday afternoon) on the Yamaha WRR. Great for pavement or dirt. The WRR can cruise at 70+. Much better than the TW200 for rides with some stretches of fast asphalt. (Highway 18 N.)

Watch for the Desert Tortoise - a feature in these parts. Cool sign, autographed by artist.

Great views in every direction. Huge red cliffs right next to the road.

Hard to see, but there is a climber in the middle of this sheer rock face. At least several hundred feet pure vertical in every direction. Warm in west facing late afternoon sun. Occasionally, there are fatalities on this wall.

Some of the multi-colored rock, very prevalent in Snow Canyon. Black is lava rock. Red is sandstone with iron oxide. White is sandstone without iron oxide. Lots of easy, short hikes to interesting rock features.

I cruised up and down the road a few times, taking some "action" pics. Very easy to coast downhill, no throttle, and let the camera swing into action. A typical mirror shot . . .

And a driving self-portrait . . .

Photo taken near the top of Snow Canyon, looking down/south. High ground of AZ strip visible in far distance.

Leaving Snow Canyon, back to Highway 18, heading north. This is fast asphalt with modest elevation gain, past Diamond Valley. The left turn onto dirt is at mile marker 18, just past Dammeron Valley.

Will post up pics of Sand Cove Road and Gunlock Reservoir tomorrow. Here's a preview of one of the small reservoirs just off Sand Cove Road . . .

And a car that ran off the road. It was high school homecoming this past weekend, and this road is frequented by teenagers having parties. The driver of this car probably had some very fancy explaining to do.

. . . to be continued . . . thanks for checkin' in . . . ride safe inmates . . .

RedRockRider screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 01:11 AM
Old 10-11-2011, 02:05 AM   #50
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sand Cove Rd and Gunlock Reservoir

Here's the continuation . . . while heading north on Highway 18, just past Dammeron Valley, look for mile marker 18. Shortly thereafter is your left turn onto high quality dirt.

Entrance sign. Two little reservoirs, on essentially a desert road. Also, when floods on the Santa Clara River damaged several bridges a few years ago, this road was the only access for the town of Gunlock for several weeks.

Most of the road is quite fast, but there are a few curves and some loose gravel on the descents. Caution is in order. Quite a few side tracks for exploring although none have any distance. Lots of primitive camping and day use.

Upper Sand Cove Reservoir - the larger of the two reservoirs.

There is a large (old) pipeline that runs parallel to the road for a good distance. Some old engineering stuff in the area that is quite interesting. Rabbit bush in full bloom. Late afternoon light.

Idiot shot, straight into the setting sun. Easy dirt, taken at modest speed.

Car off the road. Much earlier in the day, we were on this road heading for a family hike. My 10-year old son saw this car and was amazed at how badly the driver missed the road. Led to a good discussion about high school dances and appropriate behavior. We'll see how much sticks. We suspect the driver of this car was a homecoming party-goer. Oops.

A few pics from the hike, just off this road. (Earlier the same day.) Limited trail. Mostly exploring on slickrock. Feature is know as the Camel's Hump.

Wife and son, striking a pose on the summit ridgeline.

Just under the summit. Terrific hike, lots of scrambling and route finding, about 3-4 hours. Best to avoid during hot summer days. Great time for hiking in southern Utah.

The parents came along. Did great for seniors with recent knee replacements. Very impressive!

Back to the moto ride . . . Lower Sand Cove Reservoir. Very small. Still popular with locals for fishing, camping.

Shadow on rock wall on final descent into Gunlock. Look closely, FYYFF, the ADV salute.

End of Sand Cove Road at southern bridge of Gunlock. Santa Clara River.

Very impressive sign for Gunlock. This was an Eagle Scout project. The WRR is impressed!

Heading south on pavement from Gunlock, there is a ford (Santa Clara River) and dirt road heading west towards Manganese Wash. Save this for another day. Didn't want to get my feet wet, so just stopped to take a pic.

And the view downstream (south) towards Gunlock Reservoir. Lots of current/flow for this time of year.

A bit further down, the view just before the reservoir. Similar to a braided river.

Gunlock Reservoir at dusk. Full to capacity. Very popular with boaters during warmer months.

The "official" entrance to the state park is at the southern end of the reservoir.

Final pic of reservoir with Square Top Mountain in distance.

Full moonrise above distinctive lava and redrock layers. Very southern Utah.

Note: A very easy alternative route which is 100% pavement is to skip Sand Cove Rd and extend northward to Veyo. This is known as the Veyo loop, the bicycle route for the St. George Ironman. Veyo has gas, a simple diner, and a famous pie shop. Details in a future ride. Thanks for checkin' in. Ride safe, inmates.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 07:20 PM
Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #51
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 463
Hey, RedRockRider, thanks for your thread on many different levels:
1. Beautiful scenery around St. George and the roads that give a different view.
2. I always enjoy father/son (son/father) stories and this is a great one.
3. My son lives in St. George, and I've visited several times, twice on the V-Strom.
4. I may be there next May after attending the Overland Expo near Flagstaff.

Thanks again.

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650

DBrentMiller screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 05:30 AM
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #52
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Lovely!
Way to go with your dad, man!
Lovely places, great photos.
Good bikes. I always wonder about the TW.
Thanks!

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #53
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Brent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrentMiller View Post
Hey, RedRockRider, thanks for your thread on many different levels:
1. Beautiful scenery around St. George and the roads that give a different view.
2. I always enjoy father/son (son/father) stories and this is a great one.
3. My son lives in St. George, and I've visited several times, twice on the V-Strom.
4. I may be there next May after attending the Overland Expo near Flagstaff next May.

Thanks again.

Brent
Hey Brent, thanks! I checked out a few of your YouTube videos -- nice!

Of course, I like the ones of AZ to St. George, Hiking at Pine Valley Mtn, and Zion. BTW, the Zion road through the tunnel is completely repaved and in perfect condition. I been up to Pine Valley Mountain Recreation Area many times -- frequent place for camp-outs with Cub Scouts, my son is of the age. Cold water on the feet, eh?

Give me a "heads up" if you are at the same little motel on St. George Blvd next May. Great to do a little ride together. The yellow V-strom looks sharp. Would be very easy to see in the mirror. Ride safe!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #54
stuckinUT
I Wanna Ride!

Oddometer: 119
Im jealous! I wish I had riding like that around me.(salt lake)
stuckinUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:29 AM   #55
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Hey Brent, ....

Give me a "heads up" if you are at the same little motel on St. George Blvd next May. Great to do a little ride together. The yellow V-strom looks sharp. Would be very easy to see in the mirror. Ride safe!
Will do! But .... isn't it a little presumptuous to think you will be looking at my V-Strom in your rear view mirror?

Be well, ride safe.

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #56
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Enterprise Reservoir via dirt

Had the chance to go for a ride today with Ken, a guy I know from the local motorcycle store. We did about 125 miles, maybe half pavement, half dirt. Our destination was Enterprise Reservoir, about 40 miles northwest of St. George. Very scenic country. Great rock formations, lots of camping. About 5,000 ft elevation, cooler than St. George, but nothing like the high country of Brian Head.

Here's a pic of our bikes on a bluff above St. George (Green Valley), just as we were getting started in early afternoon. Red cliff of Ivins in background with Pine Valley Mountain on horizon.

And here's Ken. A great guy and a terrific rider. Ken is my main man at the MotoZoo store in St. George. Toystore paradise for inmates. They sell Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki . . . if you are in the area, stop by and give Ken the ADV salute. I'm sure he can find a way to help you spend some money. Plus, it seems as if he's actually owned most types of bikes in the store at one point or another, so his advice would probably be pretty good.

Ken's bike is a totally dialed in TW200. The bike just purrs along, and does all the things that T-dubs excel at -- climb, crawl, twist & turn . . good on curvy pavement, not good for making speed. Our road speed today was mostly 40-60 mph, slower on the dirt. The WRR and TW were well suited for the terrain. Our rides:

Ken's TW200. We both carried extra gas because we weren't sure of our route at the outset. There is a gas station in Enterprise (town), but if you just go to the reservoir, then take the "long way" home, gas could be an issue.

The big picture map might be useful:

I didn't mark up this map -- perhaps a useful reference for future rides. Here's a synopsis of our ride today for those following along:
-- Go from Green Valley to Santa Clara on dirt (some single track).
-- Leave dirt in Santa Clara by crossing new bridge and entering main road in center of town. Turn left, head out on pavement past Ivins, through the Shivwitz Indian Reservation.
-- At the intersection (Old 91, Utah Hill), bear right still on pavement towards Gunlock.
-- Pass by Gunlock Reservoir and through the town of Gunlock.
-- Proceed to sharp right hand turn, pavement ascends "the wall" -- steep incline three miles before Veyo (Highway 18).
-- Turn left onto dirt at this sharp right hand turn. Easy to find. On the map, the dirt road is called "Veyo Shoal Creek Rd." On the ground, the sign says "Goldstrike Road"
-- Follow this gravel/dirt road to Enterprise Reservoir.
-- After messing around at Enterprise Reservoir, we rode pavement into the town of Enterprise, had a late lunch (thanks, Ken), then retraced our route.

Lots of side trips and extended variations are possible, especially further west -- Cougar Pass, Motoqua, etc. That'll be another ride.

A short break, just north of of Gunlock Reservoir. Possible to ford Santa Clara River here and head west on dirt. We continued on pavement through Gunlock and further north. Ken checkin' in on the phone while we still had coverage.

The key turn-off onto dirt. Veyo Shoal Creek Rd on the map; Goldstrike Rd on the sign. Follow to Enterprise Reservoir. Some ATV trailer parking in this area.

We mostly had a great time ridin' along. Only a few pics. Here's one of some fall color. Elevation is too low 5,000-6,000 ft to get the blazing yellow aspen of 8,000-10,000 ft, but there are still some hints of red/orange. A bit too early.

Typical road scene in higher country just before Enterprise Reservoir. Lots of dramatic rock features. Worth the trip. Utah is all about rocks, eh?

The high point on this route. (same sign from p. 1 of this thread)

At the shoreline of Upper Enterprise Reservoir. There is great camping (official and unofficial, but allowed), and lots to explore on motos and/or ATVs. Ken gave this place two thumbs up -- -- I agree.

After an appropriate amount of exploring, we head to Enterprise (on pavement) for food. Not that many choices, but at least one good one. Doesn't look like much from the outside.

But they know burgers, fries, shakes, etc. Failure, no food pics. Next time. Consolation prize -- the logo. You get the idea of the place. I've been here a few times as part of moto rides. They never disappoint. Also have store in St. George.

After food, time to dump the extra gas into the tank. Ken's TW200 took just a gallon, and we had run about 70 miles at this point.

The fun was only half done. Now we do the ride in reverse. One last pic at the end of dirt where we rejoin pavement and head back through Gunlock.

Oh, and lots of plants in bloom, many with bees. If you see Ken at MotoZoo, ask him about the bees. Not a good story, but the ending wasn't bad.

St. George area Inmates and Lurkers: looks like Ken and I might do a similar ride next Wednesday (or at least some time in the future - I owe him lunch). If you're potentially interested in joining in, give me a heads up. You'll be able to keep up with me. Not sure if you'll be able to keep up with Ken or not . . .

Take care, ride safe!

RedRockRider screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 03:41 PM
Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #57
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Diamond Valley & Pine Valley Mtn w/ Dad

Gas up. Late afternoon. We've got a few hours. Dad's ready. Let's go through Snow Canyon up to Diamond Valley, then head up on to the shoulder of Pine Valley Mountain. We had time for about 40 miles, roundtrip. On the Benchmark Map (above), the dirt road heading northeast from Diamond Valley is 033, on the flank of the Grass Knoll.

Cruisin' up through Snow Canyon State Park. Alternative route to highway 18 if heading north with a bit of time (and a state park pass). Better scenery!!!

Old cinder cone in background. Just before Diamond Valley.

Several good dirt roads enter/exit from Diamond Valley. Pine Valley Mountain in background.

Pavement quickly ends. Dried ruts. Easy road.

Crossing the border into Dixie National forest on Rt. 033. Gaining elevation.

RedRockRider takin' a break, view looking back down.

Dad near our turn-around point (time). Nice approach to Pine Valley Mtn. We'll come back and go higher on the hill. I've been through here before, but it was the first time Dad was on this road. He says, definitely worth a repeat trip. Right on, Dad!

Landscape shot. Signs of forest fires. Just after this pic, a coyote dashed in front of us. Not even near quick enough with the camera.

Final shot on the descent, probably my favorite of this group. Always good to take a ride with Dad!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #58
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Graveyard of Tree's

I like your last photo of your dad riding away into the sunset. Cool stuff!

With all those burnt Juniper tree's (I presume Juniper), they look like headstones in a cemetery. I was on a mule wagon ride in the far corner of NW Utah/NE Nevada last year and traveled through burnt tree's just like in your photo. Kind of erie, yet interesting.

You've got a great thread going here and have been following all your posts.

Thanks for sharing.
TheAdmiral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #59
fredster
Clueless Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Awesome Thread

I lived in SLC for 9 years and used to go camping in Snow Canyon with my late wife and daughter and spent many winter weekends in St G. Lots of good memories. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #60
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Brian Head w/ Family, Recent Snow Melt

We are at Brian Head with family and friends for a 3-day weekend. My son and I were out enjoying the warm weather even though there is lots of snow on the ground. Brian Head got 15 inches about a week ago. Fall colors are gone at the higher elevations. Perhaps a bit of color left at ~8,000 ft. It feels like winter is coming.

The man, on his bike, out in front of the condo.

And the snowman. Should last the weekend!

Son upgrades from KLX to the Versys. He calls it the "green lightening bug." We really had fun taking a slow cruise around the paved streets of Brian Head. He knows every road and was a great tour guide!

A kid havin' fun -- just as it should be!!!

Back in front of our condo, Mommy snaps a pic of her two boys.

In the late afternoon I had the chance for solo ride on the V. Good to get out and crank it up a bit. The Versys is really a great bike for movin' along. Did about 50 miles. Will post up shortly. Here's the V on the open road at slightly lower elevation.