User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #91
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Thursday ride with Dad

Still owe some photos and write-up on Toroweap ride with Eddie, but why post when you can ride, heh?

Thursday at my house is cleaning day . . . when the cleaning ladies come . . . if possible, I go. As usual, Dad was ready. Since Toroweap (yesterday) was a cold ride, I decided to head west of town with Dad (somewhat warmer). We rode from Bloomington up to the Apex Mine Road -- officially, the Mojave Desert Joshua Tree Scenic Backway -- and followed it down Bulldog Canyon back to pavement at Old Highway 91, the "other" side of the Utah hill. Then pavement back to St. George. About 60 miles total. As always, a great ride with Dad.

A few pics, since this was the ride of the day, then back to the Toroweap post. Here's me, sporting the new Tourmaster Air Intake Two Jacket in HiViz Yellow. So far,

Dad, in Honda Red, as we start to gain elevation, shortly after leaving Bloomington.

And the WRR on the "other" side of the Utah hill, near the end of the Mojave Desert Scenic Backway, in Joshua Tree National Landmark, an area badly burned by fire about 10 years ago. (Before my time in the area.)

I'll get back to the Toroweap ride soon, unless that is all my free time is spent back on the bike. Lots of exploring still to do. Ride safe fellow inmates.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 10-27-2011 at 11:59 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #92
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Toroweap via Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse

Here's the write-up on my ride to Toroweap (Grand Canyon Overlook) with Eddie from a few days ago. Eddie, on the bike, ready to roll. It was cold in the morning, so we headed out the fast dirt (~50 mph) toward the Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse.

The 2007 KLR 650. Great bike for the AZ strip. Lot of rides to the Grand Canyon Overlook points are 100+ miles one-way, so you need 200+ mile range to get back to gas. KLR also has the capacity to carry camping gear. Nothing like sunrise/sunset on the canyon rim.

Map of our travels. Benchmark, Arizona. Our route is highlighted. This is the "classic" loop from St. George. The road south from St. George to Mount Trumball Schoolhouse (#1069, then #5) and past Mount Trumbull towards Tuweep is more interesting than Clayhole Rd (also #5) straight north back to pavement (and gas) at Colorado City / Hilldale. Good to make the loop. See more stuff that way . . .

In addition to Benchmark, a useful smaller map is the Grand Canyon-Parashant Map available (free) from the National Park Service. It shows only the "major" dirt roads, but its route numbering system matches the actual signage on the ground much better.

A few notes:
- The roads are all hard pack dirt / gravel, and are currently in excellent condition. Easy to travel at ~50 mph for almost all of it.
- The stretch from Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse due east (Potato Valley, past Mount Trumbull) has some ups and downs and would be more prone to washouts, etc. Elevation is about 7,000 ft. Large trees. Expect cooler temps and more moisture (including snow).
- From Tuweap south to the Toroweap Overlook, the road is a simple doubletrack. The last few miles have some rocks and simple ledges. Any ADV bike could get through. The ledges, rocks would stop cars. Any SUV / Truck would go through easily.
- From Tuweap north to Colorado City is fast, good dirt, unless wet. Hard clay turns to slime quickly, and there is at least one wash you wouldn't want to try and cross if wet.

My bike, at the outset. It is about 90 miles from St. George to Toroweap. Then 60+ back to Colorado City. At least 150 miles, but you need more range because you might do a little exploring on side roads, etc. Plus, bad consequences if you end up short on gas.

Typical dirt track off the main road. Some of these go for 50-100 miles. Only one way to know for sure. Almost all worth exploring at least once in my view, especially the ones that head to overlook points -- in addition to Toroweap -- Whitmore Canyon, Kelly Point, Twin Point. One older couple we passed in a nicely equipped truck was headed to Kelly Point for few days. Said they were finding ways to spend the inheritance down . . . good plan.

The welcome sign. Probably lots of inmates have this picture. Let's see 'em!

And the Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse. Our first real stop. It was cold. We went inside for food and drink. Perhaps inmates pics here, with bikes as well???

The history . . .

An original pic . . .

And a recent fundraiser pic . . . stop in and visit the schoolhouse if you are driving by. Very worthwhile!

Sign and Mount Trumbull School House 4-way intersection (cross roads of the AZ strip). Our route was to Mt. Trumbull and Toroweap.

Entering the National Monument, near Mount Trumbull. Sun is out now. Warming up, even though slightly higher elevation.

No water here . . . not much reliable water anywhere on the strip. Come prepared. But the Park Service is restoring lots of historical sites and improving signage. The North Rim area, Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument is over 1 million acres, about as remote as it gets in the lower 48.

Eddie and I took a short detour and hike at Nampaweap to check out the rock art. The official brochure uses this same panel. Here is their quote: "A 1/2 mile trail takes you to one of the largest petroglyph sites on the Arizona Strip. Hundreds of images pecked into the surface of basalt boulders offer clues about the lives of early native residents."

We are enjoying the rythym of the day. Eddie's a great guy out on the road. Ok to have to your house for dinner, also. At the intersection where we turn south for the last run to Toroweap. Rt #115, but not shown on map.

The scenery keeps getting better. Much more color in the rock!

No one's here checking for your Park Pass, but several signs restricting ATVs and non-plated bikes, etc. No off-road exploring. Got to follow the rules. There are rangers around.

My man Eddie, at the rim. Don't do it, Eddie. Work isn't that bad . . . if you only knew. Eddie has a sweet job!

We had lunch, talked with some people (2 or 3 groups in jeeps / trucks), and I put gas in my bike. Info from the picnic table chained to a tree at the overlook.

So we take the walk along the rim to the west. Shortly, you can look down and see Lava Falls in the distance. We watched 5 large rafts enter the rapids. Distances are so great you can't even see them once they enter the whitewater. You can however hear the rapids. All several thousand feet below and probably a mile or more away. Here is the view looking west (downstream).

Late afternoon now. All is well. Pic of the bike at the parking area. Picnic table is under tree and cliffs are just beyond flat dirt directly behind bike.

This is the awesome view . . . great destination . . .

We poked around the nearby campground. Sure many ADVers have spent nights here. This is on my list to do. Several groups were settling in. All friendly folks. Campground is well used, but there are lots of sites, all good. Any pics of inmate camp set-ups out there???

From this point, we started to twist the throttle. Here is Eddie heading out.

Final shot of my bike. Typical road scene, starting back north on Rt #5 (not marked on map). This area would be just before Hat Knoll.

The rest of the ride back to Colorado City was fast dirt.

At sundown on dirt just before hitting pavement. We check in with the wives, then a short run on pavement to Hurricane (UT 59). We find a good dinner, BS a bit, then ride home to St. George in time to put our kids to bed.

Nice ridin' with Eddie -- always a good time.

Inmates -- head out and explore the AZ Strip. Take extra gas, water, and warm clothes. It's colder than you might think. Thanks for ridin' along. Safe travels.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 09:13 PM
Old 10-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #93
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,453
Been lots of years since i've gotten out to Toroweap. You've sure got the juices flowing now.(jeep trip with wife).

The rebuilt school house was not there on my last visit, that's how long it's been. It looks like the signage is much improved as there was none on my last ride many years ago.

You would probably agree, the pic's don't do Toroweap justice. Crawling on those ledges does create some serious pucker-butt.

As usual another fine report from RRR!
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #94
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Sam!

Taking a jeep out on the AZ Strip for a few days would be fun! Good to check out a few of the overlook points. Lots of exploring out there that I'd like to do. Most will have to wait until next year as colder weather and shorter days are going to make it tougher. Lots of areas on the Strip will also get snow, and the clay roads can turn to slime. A jeep / truck / SUV with good tires gets the whole family along. Also, allows for a bit more luxurious camping.

Overall, the signage is noticeably improved. Lots of the Strip is "managed" by the St. George Field Office (BLM) located in town on Riverside Drive. Nice people staff the office, but even they haven't been on all the roads. Vast, vast, vast. http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/fo/arizona_strip_field.html

"Pucker-butt" -- you got that right. The cliffs at Toroweap are serious drops. Luckily, there are some easy places to take in the views, including down to the Colorado River, without getting too awfully close. Still -- first-class "pucker-butt."

If you end up with a new 250 cc dual sport, you might keep your old xl250??? They look like cool bikes and a bit of a "classic" ??? Plus, about the same technology as my current TW200 . Guess storage depends on garage space, etc. Ride safe, my friend. Lunch on me is still in your future.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 10-29-2011 at 06:43 PM
Old 10-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #95
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mojave Desert Joshua Tree Scenic Backway Loop

Continuation of Post #91 from above. Loop ride with Dad. Start in Bloomington. Gain elevation on dirt through Blake's Lambing Grounds, drop into Mine Valley (now on the Apex Mine Rd), travel west on the Mojave Desert Joshua Tree Scenic Backway over Bulldog Pass and down Bulldog Canyon. Hit pavement at Old Highway 91, climb the Utah Hill, and cruise asphalt back down, past Ivins, through Santa Clara, and into St. George.

This is one of first rides I did with my dad a few years ago. We've done it, or a close variation of it dozens of times. All good! Thanks, Dad. Always super fun.

Here's the map:

Note: These roads do get washed out frequently. Maintenance also changes the nature of the road -- lots of loose gravel on steeper sections. You should always be able to get through, but some of the higher elevation sections can get a little sketchy.

Navajo Drive in Bloomington. Three miles from my house. Let the good times roll!

Our standard line-up. Dad on the red Honda. I'm on the blue WRR.

The early reviews are positive for the new Tourmaster Jacket. Cold enough to keep both liners in. Overall very nice weather. Every ride report needs a mirror shot.

We're taking a different variation up through Blake's Lambing Grounds, this is double track that follows near powerlines. Some loose rock in parts.

Typical scene up high.

Just starting to drop into Mine Valley. Pine Valley Mountain in background. The road switchbacks down to the left just after this spot. From that point, no more views back towards Pine Valley Mountain. Orientation switches westward towards Nevada (even though the entire ride is in Utah).

Quick stop at the top of Bulldog Pass, heading west. Starting to get big views (distant) out into Nevada. Lots of signs of ranching activity -- corrals, cisterns, etc. No cattle. All at lower elevations by now.

Dad descending into Bulldog Canyon. The high bluffs in the distance form the northern edge of the Virgin River Gorge. I-15 is on the other side of this ridgeline. We've seen Rocky Mountain Sheep (Rams) in this area. Very skittish around people / motorbikes.

Desert plants. Especially prevalent on south/west facing slopes.

A few tracks to explore. Most are for powerline access and dead-end very quickly. A few interesting campsites in the area. This area is pretty remote. There are more day users as you drop elevation and get closer to Old Highway 91.

Soon you see the first Joshua trees. This is the "edge" of the Mojave Desert. This is the northern range for Joshua trees. Just 10 miles from here and slightly lower elevation are some very, very healthy Joshua tree forests. We'll cover that on a future ride. Dad loves to go photograph the Joshua trees.

Takin' a final break in the Joshua Tree National Landmark area, just before Old 91 pavement. Most of this area was badly burned. There are several scientific studies measuring re-growth patterns.

Looking back, the road we came down. Beaver Dam Mountains behind us.

Also looking back, the new entrance sign for the Mojave Desert Scenic Backway. This road turns north and reconnects with Old Highway 91 in the Shivwitz Indian Reservation. I've written it up several times. It is a great road in either direction and is maintained enough that any ADV bike should always be able to get through. Smallish road bikes could also make it. Don't take road-type bikes up into Blake's Lambing Grounds.

This is your exit / entrance onto pavement (Old 91). The burn area is called the Woodbury Desert Study Area. This is the sign you can see from pavement. The other sign is back off pavement quite a bit.

We messed around for a short bit on a nearby road that heads to Beaver Dam Wash. It is in good condition. This is the land of the Joshua Trees, a future ride. Hopefully not too long. This pic is Dad retracing our path back to pavement with the Utah Hill in background.

Great ridin' area. Check it out if you can, inmates. Thanks for lookin' in.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #96
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

To Leeds (Silver Reef) & Oak Grove on dirt

Hey inmates -- -- Happy Halloween!

We had a whole lot of this at our house last night. Lots of little princesses, too. Hope all went well for you.

Solo ride over the weekend. Always fun to be out on the bike. Good think time. Good to roll at one's own pace, in tune with the bike and the surroundings. Rode from St. George on dirt up to Silver Reef (by Leeds), the up to Oak Grove Campground on Pine Valley Mountain. Back to St. George on asphalt, basically on surface roads parallel to I-15. Great weather, great ride.

Here's a map for those following along. Very similar to post #79 on page 5, completing the Diamond Valley Loop on Pine Valley Mountain.

- Route starts on Red Hills Parkway in St. George, near MotoZoo -- marked Middleton on map.
- Gain elevation on dirt on #033 past the Black Gulch.
- Follow #031 across the lower flank of Pine Valley Mountain. Bulk of ride.
- Turn left and follow #032 uphill to Oak Grove Campground.
- Return to pavement in Silver Reef and Leeds.
- Follow paved surface streets just south of I-15 back to St. George.
- Total mileage: 50-60.

The starting point, just east of MotoZoo.

Our friend Smokey . . .

Quickly enter Red Cliffs . .

A few signs . . .

Umm, looks like bullet holes . . . welcome to Utardia . . . my one buddy always rides with a gun . . .

A little test for the mighty TW . . . she passed!

Out onto gravel, eventually dirt . . .

Looking back downhill, back towards St. George.

Several trailheads. This is a good hike, along the edge of red rocks.

Another trail. Used by hikers, mountain bikers, and horses.

Looking back along part of the edge of the Black gulch.

Short cut-off road over the Diamond Valley. Taken many times, but not today. Often one big mud puddle at end, just before pavement in Diamond Valley. Road exits in strange neighborhood in Diamond Valley, not easy to find from that end. This direction is best the first time, then it's easy.

I didn't continue up #033. This climbs up over the Blake-Gubler pass (post 79). Just offering up the ADV salute. I continued on #031, holding roughly steady on elevation, traversing the lower flank of Pine Valley Mountain.

One of the drainages . . . dry . . .

The TW200 just over a small pass on #031 heading east toward Silver Reef. Pine Valley Mountain in background.

Crossed water twice. Very, very easy this time of year. Minimal flow and firm ground underneath. Some good dispersed camping available. Interesting rock formations.

Taking a short break at a gorge, almost a slot canyon. Some good rappel spots. Outdoor groups use this as a practice area before tackling Zion.

TW200 at rest.

Desert plants and view up to Pine Valley Mountain.

Utardia petroglyphs . . .

One private in-holding . . . and the remnants of some fall color . . .

Looking back west on #031, the road I just drove on. The are a few small passes, just enough to add interest.

Cliffs of Zion National Park become more visible as you get closer to Silver Reef.

Mirror on the left . . . mirror on the right . . .

Dirt intersection, just above Silver Reef. I came from St. George. The ahead is 6 miles up to the Oak Grove Campground, fairly high on Pine Valley Mountain.

The road from St. George . . . and the road from Silver Reef to Oak Grove.

Crossing Leeds Creek (on a bridge).

A few bits of fall color on the road up to Oak Grove.

Campground closed -- not sure if this is for winter, or due to hunting season. Won't be long before lots of snow here, elevation almost 7,000 ft.

Namesake trees, on the descent. Just a bit of color left.

Late afternoon sun on red rock, just before entering Silver Reef.

Leaving Dixie National Forest . . . entering Leeds / Silver Reef. Return to pavement.

In Silver Reef. Lots of history in this small town.

A sample. I'll get a few more pics on a future ride. Easy to visit if you're in the area.

Found a bit of fall color and nice light near Harrisburg as I headed back to St. George.

Planning to ride from St. George to Springdale (by Zion) on road bikes with a buddy on Thursday afternoon. ADVers welcome to join. Give me a heads up if interested.

Ride safe, inmates!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #97
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,426
The last pic is really nice, thanks!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #98
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Bob.

The last one is my favorite pic, too. Taken from the parking lot of the Orson Adams House on the road to the Red Cliffs Campground. Very neat mini-slot canyon here for warm weather hiking/swimming. Nice little area.

A link: http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/st__g...ams_house.html

Old 11-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #99
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

St. George to Springdale on Road, Thursday, 11/3 -- Inmates welcome

Riding from St. George to Springdale (via Silver Reef), all on pavement on Thursday afternoon. Leaving St. George at ~1 pm. Probably have food in Sprindale (near Zion). ADVers welcome to join. Give me a heads up if interested.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #100
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,958
I guess not my last bike! Thanks!

You are definitely a Red Rock Rider! The whole family is!

Several years ago I read an RR on a route through southern Utah that captured my imagination. I got the maps and in 2005 rode the route while on my way home from Laguna Seca MotoGP (Go Nick!). Part of that route involved camping at Toroweep. The Rangers in St. George ecouraged me because there hadn't been much rain. They looked at my KTM and said go for it! It was fantastic too.

Last month I rode a wr250r down the CDR and left it in AZ for the winter. I love that little bike, but it took me quite awhile to get used to the motor. I am presently looking to replace my old KTM twin. I was thinking the new one would be my very last motorcycle, since I am in the AARP demographic.

After reading your thread, I can see I'm going to own a few new bikes before its all finally done. Thanks! Makes choosing a lot easier.

Say hey to Dad and Pops for me. I'll see them on the trail.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #101
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Pantah - Thanks.

India Wharf (Harbor Towers?) and Patriot Nation. Boston waterfront??? We lived in Lewis Wharf for five years in the late 90s. During the time of the "Big Dig" -- still very nice. We faced the water!!!

I was out again today with Dad. He'll see your greeting on the thread. Thanks. Pop is back in PA freezing his butt off, but he FINALLY going to retire (age 80) and shut down his business. Should eventually lead to more motorcycle time in Utah.

Yeah, we are lovin' the little dual sports. They are really great for exploring and all except the TW can manage highway speeds. We definitely avoid I-15, the only interstate in the area, and all the other state highways just don't have that much traffic. Very easy to wave someone by if they come up on your tail. Generally, drivers are very respectful of motorbikes here. Frequently, I'll wave someone around, and they'll hang back and wait for a clear, wide-open passing zone. Utardia -- also known as land of the nice people!

Lots of great riding out on the AZ Strip -- North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I haven't been to the South Rim for 20 years but remember it as crowded. It is just amazing to me that the isolated overlook points on the North Rim are so seldom visited. This is really awesome country just off of I-15 from Mesquite, NV and St. George, UT. The vastness is incredible. We are really spoiled.

Enjoy to Yami WR250R. Let me know if your travels ever bring you through St. George again. Lots of great scenery and ridin' nearby. Thanks for checkin' in.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #102
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Crossing Beaver Dam Wash and entering Nevada

Great day for a ride with Dad. About 100 miles total. Roughly 25 on pavement over the Utah Hill on Old Highway 91, then 25 on dirt (Eardley Rd) out to Beaver Dam Wash, and in to Nevada. Returned the same way. There are some big loops out there (all the way towards Caliente, NV). Once you cross Beaver Dam Wash and enter Nevada, this is really isolated territory. Don't run out of gas!

Here's the map:

Just past Shivwitz, starting up the Utah Hill on Old 91. It will be cold, but we were ready for it. About 60 degrees in St. George today. Probably only 50 on the Utah Hill. Slightly warmer once in Nevada.

Nice new sign -- perhaps "stimulus" money -- on the backside of the Utah Hill. This is a very, very nice road for street bikes if you're inclined that way.

Dad turning off onto dirt / gravel at the Eardley Road, just past Castle Cliff.

Here's the sign to look for. There is a private game ranch at the "end" of this road near Beaver Dam Wash. Shown on the map.

Our road. Utah Hill in background.

This is the land of the Joshua Trees. Some of the best in the area. Slightly lower elevation. Lots of southern and western exposures. Just enough water.

Dad with older sign. We're going to Nevada!

Desert plants.

There are a couple of intersections out here. Stay on the main road, heading west, slightly dropping elevation toward Beaver Dam Wash. Indian Canyon leads back east towards West Mountain Peak and Hellhole Pass, also a very good ride.

Dad cruisin' in Honda red! Nice contrast with green and brown. Makes the pic pop a little.

Follow signs to Lytle Ranch, even though it is closed to the public. (Doesn't appear to be much there.)

Entering the Beaver Dam Wash area. Somewhat popular with birdwatchers, hence the binoculars sign.

Definitely some old stuff around. Let's go take a look.

Ford -- missing the blue oval.

Old equipment.

Details. Slow changes with time and weather.

Found this old beauty.

Both Ford and GMC equipment. Door signage. Perhaps an old oil truck.

Rear of the GMC.

The whole scene. An abandoned desert oasis at Beaver Dam Wash . . .

Chillin' out! RVing in style!!!

Outdoor kitchen. This place was ahead of its time!

Small nearby cottage.

Lets look inside. Oops, kinda messy.

Outdoor dining.

And outdoor sleeping.

You knew it was coming. Gotta check out the bed. Hope the lovely wife doesn't see this. She'll burn the clothes.

View downstream in Beaver Dam Wash. Quite a bit of water running for this time of year.

View up the wash. Impressive bluff, more impressive in person.

Vehicle carnage by the side of the wash. Looks like a smaller school bus.

Animal tracks.

Dried mud. At times in the year, this wash is uncrossable. It has taken out houses downstream in Beaver Dam, Arizona.

Old ranch stuff around, some still in use.

Lytle Ranch itself is closed.

The road crosses the wash and continues towards Nevada.

Dad gettin' ready . . .

And drivin' right on though! Right on Dad.

Actually, it was easy for him.

And keeps on going!

Climbing out of Beaver Dam Wash. The view back down where we just were. And in the distance (eastward) West Mountain Peak.

Soon, the Utah - Nevada state line.

Some Nevada destinations. Lots and lots of exploring to do. I haven't been out here on dirt much, only on the paved roads of eastern Nevada. Rugged and remote.

Road is still good, just not quite as substantial. Utah must have more money.

After a few more miles, we descended into a second major wash, Bull Valley Wash. We made this our turnaround point.

Windmill pumping water for cattle nearby.

King-size Joshua Trees. Lots of healthy specimens. No fire damage this far west.

Heading back towards Utah.

Dad havin' fun, blastin' back through Beaver Dam Wash.

Last look at the bluffs of Beaver Dam Wash. Afternoon light now.

On the Eardley Road, back out towards Old Highway 91. Utah Hill in distance.

Back to pavement. This is the sign to look for. This is the easiest access point to Beaver Dam Wash. Enjoy!

Thanks for ridin' along. Stay safe.

Road ride to Springdale on Thursday with a few guys. Any ADVers welcome to join. Leaving St. George just after 1 pm. Let me know if interested. Cheers!

RedRockRider screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 01:02 PM
Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #103
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Goldwing to Zion -- Attacked by deer!

Paul and I rode to Zion today. I got the chance to ride Paul's Goldwing for a few miles from Virgin to Springdale. Very, very sweet. First time for me to pilot a Goldwing. One smooth bike. Surprisingly agile for a big bike. Very fun. Thanks, Paul.

Paul also had a smile after kickin' back on the Vulcan 900 for a few miles. Paul has some very nice motorcycles ($$$) plus some other motorized things that go fast, and the Vulcan was a bit of a "retro" throwback for him. All in the spirit of the day.

A couple of other guys had either work conflicts or a bike problem. Have to get them going soon. Paul and I will definitely be doing more rides. I owe him lunch.

Not many pics -- today was mostly about riding. Here are a few.

Our first real stop is the Checkerboard Mesa Viewpoint in Zion National Park, after climbing the switchbacks and going through the tunnels. By the way, for inmates and lurkers in the area -- the fall colors in Zion at lower elevations are still striking. Check it out if you can, preferably on moto.

The light wasn't right for Checkerboard Mesa, but I still snapped a pic.

In Zion, there are great views in every direction, so I point the camera the other way.

Paul and I had fun hangin' out, talking with strangers who pull into the overlook. Lots of Europeans, all amazed with our scenery. We are lucky. This stuff is easy within 2 hours drive of our houses. Someone wanted to take a picture of "badass" American bikers. We comply, then they take a photo with my camera as well. Here we are. Paul with his Goldwing.

All is good, so we decide to exit Zion to the east and make the run down to Mt. Carmel Junction for some food. This gives us the chance to ride briskly on the open road east of Zion. Fun. My Vulcan 900 can keep the Goldwing in sight, but only because Paul is takin' it easy, in sightseeing mode. Great rider, great guy.

Thunderbird -- signs just don't come any better than this! Good food also. Thanks, Paul. Next time I buy.

We thought about going south to Kanab and back to Hurricane via Colorado City (Polygamy Central), but opted to make the run back through Zion since this would be a little quicker, even with the tunnels and switchbacks.

We cruise back towards Zion in late afternoon light. Paul is leading. We are slowing as we approach the east entrance. BAM! From the right side of the road a deer jumps out and hits the front right of the Goldwing. Paul keeps the bike upright (nice!), and the deer's body spins from impact and SLAMS the back corner of the bike. I see all this from behind. The deer slowly stumbles to his feet and limps off the side of the road and into the brush. Gone.

Paul stops his bike and we assess. No serious damage to Paul, just a bruise on his right hand. The Goldwing has deer fur stuck in the creases on the rear luggage compartment, and one small cargo door is missing. Front brake lever is bent. A few other tweaks to the back part of the bike which took the biggest hit as the deer spun and smacked . . . ouch!

Sorry, no pics of any of this. Maybe it is time for a GoPro Helmet cam. Very similar to this insane YouTube clip of a mountain biker in Africa getting taken out by a buck. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M

Glad Paul kept the bike up and was fine. Rode home without further incident. Paul says next time he goes "hunting" with his Goldwing he's going to go after smaller animals, perhaps a rabbit.

Thanks for checkin' in. Ride safe, my friends. Ride safe.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #104
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
India Wharf (Harbor Towers?) and Patriot Nation. Boston waterfront??? We lived in Lewis Wharf for five years in the late 90s. During the time of the "Big Dig" -- still very nice. We faced the water!!!

No kidding? Well, you wouldn't recognize the waterfront now. The Rose Kennedy Greenway replaced the elevated freeway so the city is finally reconnected to the waterfront. It's beautiful and busy with locals and tourists all the time now. The 'Harbor Walk' runs from South Station all the way past Lewis Wharf to the Coast Guard base. Spectacular! My condo tower is about 200 yards inland from Harbor Towers on what was called India Wharf some 100 years ago. I don't have a harbor view, though. Still, I feel like my yard is a national monument, just like you do out there.

Thanks for those maps you post too. I'll definitely get up there to take a few of those loops. Cheers
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #105
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 552
Hey Redrock, thanks for sharing the pics and the maps. looks like a St George ride is close future.

have a good weekend!
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote