Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #1096
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
While the North Rim is not officially open until May 15, did they have any signage at Jacobs indicating if the road down to the rim is "unofficially" open? I know in the past they have done that.
Not open . . . the paved road to the North Rim, Highway 67, is gated (and locked) just south of Jacob Lake. Did see a ranger opening the gate and letting himself in so there might be an "unofficial" opening soon . . . but not yet.

Lots of signs on the paved roads, 89A and 22, saying Highway 67 is closed so there is warning. You can get onto Highway 67 south of the gate by riding dirt roads on the west side. Of course, this would put you on beautiful pavement with some excellent curves and views and no other cars, but in an area that is officially closed. Some pros and cons to this scenario.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #1097
Rick Rides
n00b

Oddometer: 1
St George Rides

Thanks RRR,

Thank you for your diligent work on St George rides. Very informative and entertaining to read. I have only gone through a dozen so far. Your style of writing makes me want to lube my chain and head out. Any time you want an inmate to help you with your selfie shots I can make myself available.

Yesterday, my wife and I did the Bloomington to Beaver Mt to Gunlock over the hill to Ledges for lunch and down Snow Canyon to home (75 miles.) All based on your recommendations, the wife loved it, and that is always good.

Two buddies and I are planning the Torroweap ride at the end of May. The plan includes to stay the night. Come with so you can get that off your bucket list.

Thanks again for your posts.

Rick Rides
Rick Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #1098
notsofasteddie
Semi Slow Rider

Oddometer: 44
Great coverage of Pioche!

It's been a while since I stopped in Pioche, usually I'm blasting up 93 in a hurry to get to Ely. It's looking good. A decade ago there was a pretty good influx of people escaping Las Vegas. Housing prices in Pioche and Panaca really went up (believe it or not). When things crashed so did that. I think the fresh blood has helped get Pioche on the hunt for tourist/traveler dollars and it shows.

Here's some other old mining towns that still have some life in them you might be interested in if you take some longer rides in your retirement: Eureka, Utah (highway 6 northeast of Delta; Eureka and Austin, Nevada (on highway 50 between Ely and Fallon); and closer to you, Tonopah, Nevada. All have seen better days and some have done a better job of trying to make the stop worthwhile for people passing through. I'm sure that sometimes it's just a lack of any money coming in to be able to spruce things up a bit. There's quite a few ride reports on ADV that have pictures and words about Eureka and Austin. The last I heard you could still get in on some "real" poker games in the old bars (beware). There used to be a display in one of the places in Austin of things they found when putting in new side walks and digging up under the old board walks (including remnants of opium dens). Interesting history in the area.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #1099
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
The Burger in the Silver Cafe looks great...!! Makes me hungry just looking at it....I'd prefer mine without the bite already in it however.. I also like the Classic Mustard, Ketch, and Salt /Pepper Holders....

Great Stuff....great photos...great ride reports...I would make a comment about the BLM photo sign, but figure I would either get banned{again} or have Black Helicopters flying over my house.
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #1100
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 114
Pioche

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Thanks -- TheAdmiral, wbbnm, NMTrailboss, ringokelly, Wansfel, and inmates. Appreciate the comments, PMs, and star ratings.

Rode out to Pioche, NV a few days ago. Just over 100 miles of excellent pavement from St. George. Pioche is not a ghost town, but has all the standard features, i.e. old buildings. Plus, since it is inhabited, you can find gas, food, and lodging. Pioche has a mining history. Interesting contrast to nearby Panaca which has a farming/Mormon pioneer history, and Caliente which is a railroad town.

On to the pics:

Lots of old mining equipment once you are close to Pioche.

Higher elevation, so slightly cooler. The Vulcan 900 with the big windshield was excellent for chewing up the 100+ road miles from St. George.

Well preserved mining ruins right by the side of the main road at the top of the town.

Excellent signs all over town. The Pioche Chamber of Commerce understands where the economic opportunity is nowadays.

Looking down. The bike and road provide scale.

Lots of buckets are still hanging from the aerial tram.

Abandoned building. Interesting mix of abandoned, old, and still used buildings all over town. Not much new.

Aerial tramway towers near the top of the hill.

Looking down the cable to the valley below. The old processing plant is down there somewhere.

Wildflower season in the high desert.

Delicate pink and white clinging to a rock.

Small bursts of yellow.

The mine sites are fenced off, but you can get very close.

Detail of the cable.

The drive wheels.

Looking down on the main historical area of Pioche with Highway 93 North in the background.

Lots of colorful rock. Typical for old mining areas.

Abandoned truck.

Details:

Time for lunch at the only restaurant in town, the Silver Cafe. It was excellent.

Over 100 years old.

Inside. A couple of locals stopped in for a slice of pie.

I browse the strange collection of souvenir items while my burger is being cooked.

Doll for sale.

Lunch. Order what the cook suggests. Should be a staple for every inmate on a ride to Pioche.

Just outside is the Overland Hotel. TIme to walk up and down the main street and burn off a few calories.

Upcoming celebration. Might go back with my supply of beads.

Signage at the entrance to the Overland.

And inside. Redhead. Probably belongs in Toxic Brittany. And you know redheads -- BSC.

Cross on the mountain overlooking town. Don't see this in LDS communities. The mining culture of Pioche created a very different type of town.

This friendly guy is a volunteer fireman. He opens up the doors of the fire station to show me the trucks. The old red one comes out for the occasional parade. Lots of pride. All well placed.

A few scenes from the main street. Quite a few things have been set up to catch the eye of tourists. But there is plenty of original stuff as well. And a few buildings still in use. Good mix.

Small mining tribute. Set up for guys with cameras (like me).

Beads, apparently from the last Mardi Gras celebration.

Have to come back another time. This place wasn't open.

Small older home above the main street. Pioche is built on the side of a hill with lots of interesting views down on the rooftops. Not sure if this house was abandoned or not. Similar houses nearby were well kept.

Some old signs have been collected and put on display. Again, the chamber of commerce understands the potential.

Small section set up for the viewing pleasure of tourists.

Just above the main street is Christ Church.

The old bell and the satellite dish on the church. Nice contrast.

Small city park.

Very well-kept house.

The Bear's Den was adjacent to the park.

Back on the main street. Very clever sign for the public utility office.

Old building. The main street has section that really has the look and feel of an old western movie set.

Detail on the building.

Mural highlighting the history of Pioche.

The Thompson Opera House and Gem Theatre are on the lower section of the main street.

Typical Pioche scenery.

The old firehouse.

Detail on the alarm bell. Would have been interesting to hear.

Looking down on the Ford Garage.

Hopped back on the bike for a short ride to a different section of town. The old Pioche Elementary school. Abandoned.

Sign.

Another short ride down to the Boot Hill Cemetery.

The rough-and-tumble early days of Pioche.

Grave marker. Since this is wood . . . it probably isn't original from over 100 years ago. But the story is good.

More wooden tombstones from over 100 years ago. This one says, "Feared by some, Respected by few, Detested by others. Shot in back 5 times from ambush."

And

The lower portion of the aerial tramway runs adjacent to the cemetery.

Detail on the ore bucket.

Some "modern" tombstones.

And some legitimate older ones.

Pleasing view of a final resting place. Lots of history here. Different stories on these tombstones compared to recent pics taken in Gunlock Cemetery.

Back on the bike for the short ride to the bottom of the tramway. This is the processing plant. Can't get any closer due to private property and no trespassing.

Back at the main highway intersection.

Two big white machines.

Start of the Mount Wilson Backcountry Scenic Byway. Been out this way before, but not for several years. Will have to come back on a dual sport bike with time to make the loop.

Some fast (and curvy) miles. Back to Utah and more miles via Modena, Beryl Junction, Enterprise, Central, and Veyo home to St. George.

Thanks for riding along. Highly recommend a trip to Pioche. Very interesting old mining town.

Great pics as usual. I've always wondered what Pioche had to offer.
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #1101
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,457
Nice update!
Thanks
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #1102
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Thanks for taking us along on your ride. I need to get down there and check out Pioche. That looks like a great day of adventure.
buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #1103
silverdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Good pics, nice report.. Thanks.
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #1104
pdxcajun
Fish'n and ride'n

Oddometer: 3
Up for ride in early May?

I will be spending 4 or 5 days in S. Utah on my way back home to Oregon from Louisiana. I should be there beginning around May 7. I have my CRF230L on the back of my van and am planning to take some rides in the area. I am another recently retired ADV lurker and would like to know if any others will be in the area and willing to join me on some rides. I am pretty flexible with my itinerary.
pdxcajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #1105
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
...Popped out at Jacob Lake. Many inmates have eaten here, only game in town. Then it was fun, fast pavement back to St. George. As always, thanks for riding along.

We stayed there both times we've been to the North Rim. Nice place. Would love to spend lots more time in the area.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #1106
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, inmates. Also for PMs and star ratings. You guys are looking out for me.

FYI for any Noobs . . . the index of rides on page 1 might be useful if looking for ride ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rides View Post
Any time you want an inmate to help you with your selfie shots I can make myself available.
. . . over the hill to Ledges for lunch and down Snow Canyon to home (75 miles.) All based on your recommendations, the wife loved it . . .
Hey Rick Rides - Always an honor to get a first post. Taking the wife to the Ledges for lunch. Very classy. It's not Subway. You're local. See you around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsofasteddie View Post
Here's some other old mining towns that still have some life in them you might be interested in if you take some longer rides in your retirement: Eureka, Utah (highway 6 northeast of Delta; Eureka and Austin, Nevada (on highway 50 between Ely and Fallon); and closer to you, Tonopah, Nevada.
Thanks, notsofasteddie. The ride to Pioche was excellent. The old mining towns are definitely on my list. Wasn't aware of Eureka, UT, but have been to Eureka, Austin, and Tonopah. Mostly in the cage and with family. The Nevada "ghost" towns are very appealing if you have the right expectations. And the vast scenery and empty roads are motorcycle heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
The Burger in the Silver Cafe looks great...!! Makes me hungry just looking at it....I'd prefer mine without the bite already in it however.. I also like the Classic Mustard, Ketch, and Salt /Pepper Holders....

Great Stuff....great photos...great ride reports...I would make a comment about the BLM photo sign, but figure I would either get banned{again} or have Black Helicopters flying over my house.
Hey Hoot - Yeah, the Gold Butte area of Nevada has had a lot of "Black Helicopter" stuff recently. Hope you are getting out on that new TW and using it as it should be used. Rubber side down, of course.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #1107
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJohnny View Post
Great pics as usual. I've always wondered what Pioche had to offer.
Don't be a stranger, DJ. There must be a nice empty house in Santa Clara just waiting patiently. As I'm sure you are aware the weather in St. George is perfect for riding . . . dirt or street. The run over to Pioche on road bikes for lunch at the Silver Cafe would make for a good day with the inmates. Road from Modena, UT to Panaca, NV has some nice curves and very few LEOs given that it is no-mans land between Utah and Nevada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Nice update!
Thanks
Bob - you are the man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardair View Post
Thanks for taking us along on your ride. I need to get down there and check out Pioche. That looks like a great day of adventure.
Yes, buzzardair. Pioche is off the beaten track, but an excellent destination.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #1108
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdog View Post
Good pics, nice report.. Thanks.
Hey silverdog - You joined the asylum in 2003. Very senior inmate. Quite the honor. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxcajun View Post
I will be spending 4 or 5 days in S. Utah on my way back home to Oregon from Louisiana. I should be there beginning around May 7. I have my CRF230L on the back of my van and am planning to take some rides in the area. I am another recently retired ADV lurker and would like to know if any others will be in the area and willing to join me on some rides. I am pretty flexible with my itinerary.
First post, pdxcajun. Thanks, lurker no more. Send a pm when you are getting close to St. George. I have the assorted family obligations and other activities, but am usually flexible for some riding time with inmates. Safe travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
We stayed there both times we've been to the North Rim. Nice place. Would love to spend lots more time in the area.
Hey WDG. Yes, I plan to be spending more time on the North Rim also, both on and off pavement. It's a big world over there on the Kaibab plateau. Lots to explore and relatively close to St. George for day trips or short overnights. Thanks for checking in.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #1109
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 633
Fantastic RR and Pictures, as usual.
Regards,
Simba
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #1110
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 114
[QUOTE=RedRockRider;24003639]Don't be a stranger, DJ. There must be a nice empty house in Santa Clara just waiting patiently. As I'm sure you are aware the weather in St. George is perfect for riding . . . dirt or street. The run over to Pioche on road bikes for lunch at the Silver Cafe would make for a good day with the inmates. Road from Modena, UT to Panaca, NV has some nice curves and very few LEOs given that it is no-mans land between Utah and Nevada.

RRR, Be in St. Geo 5-2 thru 5-10. Are you going to be around?
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote