User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
ktmmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
KTM Freeride & Rally-Raid Products Ltd

We have had an idea for a rear auxillary fuel tank for our 350 Freeride for some time, but were waiting until we saw the first 250 Freeride 2-stroke until we progressed with it, as we knew the 250 was coming in with a single silencer, instead of the twin silencer set-up on the 350 four-stroke, and this would dictate which side we would fit our rear tank.
We had DEP Pipes manufacture us a special 2-into-1 silencer, less restrictive than the twin pipe OEM set up, and only 1,5Db louder.
We then used a dummy silencer to fabricate the prototype 2 litre fuel tank on the other side, which is connected into the OEM front tank by a clever adaptor bolt, an idea by Martin Wittering of Torque Racing.
This extends the fuel capacity by nearly 50%, with very little weight penalty, or width addition.
It was then an easy switch to use the same fuel tank to fit straight onto the 250 Freeride, and it can connect straight into the fuel pipe from the OEM tank to the carb, using a tee piece.
We will also be selling the 2-into-1 silencer conversion as an option on it's own, for thos that wish to remove the heavier, more restrictive OEM twin pipe set up.
Our 350 will be tested over the holiday by Torque Racing before shipping the bike back to DEP for production jigs to be made in January.
Thanks to Jason, Mark & Billy at the KTM Centre, Hemel Hempstead for the use of their 250 Freeride demo bike, and lovely coffee.We will supply them with the first production units, so anyone wanting to view the new kit can pop along and have a look at the kit fitted to a bike in their showroom.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Lars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Reinforcement subframe

Hi John

Earlier you talked about an reinforcement for the subframe on the Freeride. Is that part going in to production?
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
ktmmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Hi John

Earlier you talked about an reinforcement for the subframe on the Freeride. Is that part going in to production?
Yes, I wanted to finish the tank first.I will do it in New year
Old 12-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
Lars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
yes, i wanted to finish the tank first.i will do it in new year
great!!!
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:39 AM   #5
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 356
Freeride 250R headed to USA

http://www.enduro360.com/2014/06/10/...e-250r-for-us/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
Yes, I wanted to finish the tank first.I will do it in New year
How's the tank coming? This will be a big hit here, they'll all need your auxiliary tank. IMHO cheers M
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 356
Neduro says...

Neduro*says:

June 13, 2014 at 8:53 pm

I got to spend a day on a Freeride 350, and I am excited for the 250 to land here, if it is anything like the 4 stroke.

Riding it requires a different mindset to either a trials bike or a trail bike. Itís not a full on trials bike, but for my amateur/ intermediate skill level, things translate pretty well. You canít slam stuff, thereís just not enough suspension (or motor). It sucks in whoops, no 2 ways about it.

But for stuff thatís so tight an XCW feels clumsy, it comes into its own. It will pick its way through stuff without wheelspin that, while you could get there on a full size bike, it would be a mess and not much fun. The Freeride changes that. And you can do it farther from the truck than you would on a Trials bike. It is the ultimate ďreconĒ bike. It would also make a pretty awesome bike for a new rider, who you donít want to punish with crap suspension and heavy weight (have you looked at the weight of an CRF230? More than an XR650R!).

Iím not sure how it will sell, but I hope I wind up with one!
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
ktmmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magile View Post
http://www.enduro360.com/2014/06/10/...e-250r-for-us/

How's the tank coming? This will be a big hit here, they'll all need your auxiliary tank. IMHO cheers M
Both Rear Tank Kits for KTM 250 & 350 Freerides are completed now, and the first few, along with our aluminium Subframe Brace, have been tested on this weeks Romaniacs Hard Enduro.
We have been using the extra 2,2 litre rear tank, and 2-into-1 DEP silencer kit to good effect this weekend, for a bit of green-laning around our area.
The 250 Freeride will not require the 2-into-1 silencer kit, and this should make both Freerides fuel range more in line with the EXC enduro bikes.
These tank kits are connected directly into the main fuel tanks, with a tap, so can be run down together with main OEM tank, or kept as a seperate reserve in case the standard tank runs out.