Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
WER138 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
KLX250S with Ninja 300 EFI- Needs to be done (but not by me).

I would love to see a big write up of an inmate transplanting a Ninja 300 EFI motor into the KLX250S. I have seen a few talented folks stuff a Versys motor into a KLR, and my armchair mechanics mind tells me that a similar project could be accomplished with the KLX/Ninja.

Any takers? I, unfortunately, have neither the skill, time, or money, so will look to live vicariously through those are braver than I.
WER138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,495
Tonymorr to aisle 7...

Kawi is NUTS to not have a Adv 300 and a Verseys 300 sumoto type bike with this engine.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
My KLX has 29,000 miles...hmmm

Was thinking 351 big bore for ease of completing the mod, but now that I have a real dirt bike, the ADVKLX is my goal. I want a light weight touring off-road bike. Think Coyote Loop on the back and a Moto-Mule way out back...

If the 300 motor could get me good highway speed (up to 90mph somewhat easily) and still handle some trail work in first and second, well it could be interesting. Especially if it fit with an airbox. I have my doubts though.

At the least, you'd have to add an external fuel pump and probably have to do some wiring (unless you bring over the whole harness).

Or I could wait a few years and buy a used CCM450.
lobolator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
bikepharmer
Baja is on the way

Oddometer: 154
Hell of a concept!

I read the whole Versys/KLR transplant, and it this seems like it would be doable.

Gearing would be a question, but at could be tweaked with some gearing (?). Hope someone gets inspired and give it a shot.
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by WER138 View Post
I would love to see a big write up of an inmate transplanting a Ninja 300 EFI motor into the KLX250S. I have seen a few talented folks stuff a Versys motor into a KLR, and my armchair mechanics mind tells me that a similar project could be accomplished with the KLX/Ninja.

Any takers? I, unfortunately, have neither the skill, time, or money, so will look to live vicariously through those are braver than I.

After I lost my KLX in the garage fire - this has been discussed at my house. Mrs. Stain is on board - all I need now is a new garage, tools and lift.

However, I'm thinking Ninja 250 Motor instead of a 300. Would that be acceptable?
C-Stain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
250 or 300

KLX like pony power with the Ninja 250 or 34HP( according to Cycle World) with the 300 motor. Your choice. I'd go 300, personally. I'd like to ride one first, before ripping out my motor.
Find a crashed 300 if you can(with working electrics and dash)...as a beginner bike it shouldn't be too hard.
And C-Stain, saw the results of the fire, sorry man, that must really suck. Hope you're recovering some of the goodies and tools...
lobolator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
KLX like pony power with the Ninja 250 or 34HP( according to Cycle World) with the 300 motor. Your choice. I'd go 300, personally. I'd like to ride one first, before ripping out my motor.
Find a crashed 300 if you can(with working electrics and dash)...as a beginner bike it shouldn't be too hard.
And C-Stain, saw the results of the fire, sorry man, that must really suck. Hope you're recovering some of the goodies and tools...

That's why I'm looking for decently priced Ninja 250s, need to save some coin to buy the "better" tools. There are very few 300s for sale down here - I've only found two so far all spring, and they were FAR too nice to chop an engine out of.

While the extra HP of the 300cc motor is tempting, I think that the smoothness and extra ~10hp of the 250 twin will make the KLX frame a nice runner. The Interwebs put the Ninja 250 at ~27.6hp (KLX makes 17hp), and I'm sure with a little finesse, a new header and exhaust, we could eek a few more HP outta the Ninja motor.

I"m going to keep my eyes open, but when push comes to shove, I'd rather find a motor, wiring harness and gauges on the cheap...

'Cos you've seen the pics... I gots me a bike to build.
C-Stain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
"and I'm sure with a little finesse, a new header and exhaust, we could eek a few more HP outta the Ninja motor. "

I'm not sure you are going to like that kind of horsepower !!!

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
any chance fitting a kx 450 f engine in there. i like the seat height, but the power sucks.
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Id rather see it a ninja 500 motor....carb'd, 50 horses, much easier to transplant id imagine....

Oh and wayyyyyyy the hell cheaper.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
WER138 OP
Adventurer

We have a taker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
After I lost my KLX in the garage fire - this has been discussed at my house. Mrs. Stain is on board - all I need now is a new garage, tools and lift.

However, I'm thinking Ninja 250 Motor instead of a 300. Would that be acceptable?

Definitely--and I get the cheaper acquisition cost and potentially simpler job with carbs. One big advantage (as others noted) is the EFI of the 300cc motor.

Will be looking for the build up!
Old 06-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
WER138 OP
Adventurer

Power to weight would be sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
Id rather see it a ninja 500 motor....carb'd, 50 horses, much easier to transplant id imagine....

Oh and wayyyyyyy the hell cheaper.

That is a lot of motor to stuff in the petite KLX250S
Old 06-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by WER138 View Post
That is a lot of motor to stuff in the petite KLX250S
Someone out the ex500 motor in a ninja 250 and kept the fairings!
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #14
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepharmer View Post
... Gearing would be a question, but at could be tweaked with some gearing (?). Hope someone gets inspired and give it a shot.
For what it's worth, I believe the transmission ratios are nearly identical between the KLX250S and the Ninja 300.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #15
sherloc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Did this transplant ever take place?
sherloc is offline   Reply With Quote