Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #241
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Not many pics from today. I was going to push into the night, but I've put 60 hours into this thing in the last week and I can't take anymore.

I got the boss up on the bike and took measurements for where she wants her pegs and backrest. I might backburner that until I get back from this weeks trial run, but I wrote down the specs for what she wants. Total knee replacement is in her future and she can't take too much angle right now.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #242
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Riding impressions...very stable, no wonkiness at all, didn't really expect any since I used my tried and true build methods. Plenty of brakes for the job, very nice to be able to lock the brakes without pushing a button first. No flex during my slalom course, transitions very good from side to side.

Like SFKLR pointed out when he was here, it's a little more of a stretch to the bars than I'd like. Probably could use KX Hi-bends instead of the CR's I have on it. I was going for keeping my hands low enough to get blood down to them, the risers it had when I got it put my hands to sleep.

It's definitely a tick soft up front, but it's usable...I'll spend the winter trying to get somebody to make stiffer XRR springs. I really did jump it and nothing bad happened.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #243
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
...great job Rob and a to all the help you have gotten.

My job, is to just say out of the way.

Two of the things I like the best...GS and XRR...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #244
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,001

I hope Motion Pro gave you long enough cables to move those bars back.

SFKLR screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 11:27 PM
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #245
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Thanks guys!!

Yes, I ordered these cables long enough for taller bars. Just about caused me trouble and I had to get creative with the routing.

Welp, looks like the DMV is going to punish me for lagging on getting the insurance on this bike. I could update the insurance status online, but they revoked my right to renew the tag online. Made an appointment for tomorrow morning to go pay up. I hate that place, it's like going to the soup nazi on Sienfeld.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #246
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Dash is done, programmed it right after this pic. One last wire to hook up, hi beam indicator.

Many mods later the speed sensor is mounted close enough to pick up. Dear Acewell, please make your speed sensor with a rounded mounting surface, most motorcycle forks are ROUND!!! Jeez!!

Screen mockup:

Nope, too tall. I'm painting the back of it black and bolting the HID stuff to the back and I need to see over it.

That's better.

I have no idea what all of this stuff does, I hope I can figure it out quickly!!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #247
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #248
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,684

I know I'm a little late to the party but... It's running! Yaaay!

Good job with gleaning that the carbs were too rich. Feels like too lean, only a little different, so good one on that.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #249
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
I know I'm a little late to the party but... It's running! Yaaay!

Good job with gleaning that the carbs were too rich. Feels like too lean, only a little different, so good one on that.

Thanks Jim, I couldn't have done it without you!!!

Belching black smoke was a pretty good sign it was rich. Looking around the 'net to see how people are jetting these on different engines I knew I could take a big swing at leaner and not hurt anything. I'm basically running two 575cc engines and the 650cc thumper guys use this carb more than anybody with mostly a 140 main jet.

I don't have time to mess with the accelerator pump, but it shoots too much fuel without a load and isn't an issue with a load...I don't even notice it. It might waste full, but I'm really out of time and I'm going to have to run it as is.

Off to the DMV in a minute.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #250
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Put the screen on.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #251
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,334
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #252
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

$84 lighter I'm back from the DMV. Met a chick in line that is an inactive member of the Polka Dots (local dirt bike club) and she was getting her green sticker for the IT175 she's rebuilding, way cool.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #253
scmopar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
sweet jumps

I knew you cuoldn't resist gettin airborne but we need picks or it didn't happen
Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #254
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmopar View Post
I knew you cuoldn't resist gettin airborne but we need picks or it didn't happen

Plenty of that to come, gotta get this thing finished first.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #255
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Back of the screen:

Ballasts stuck on with double sided tape:

and a ziptie to make sure they stay there.

I tested for continuity on a few wires and didn't like what I was finding.

So I'm stripping it down, replacing the relays and cleaning it up to fit the space I have.