ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #16
larryboy OP
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Yea, I am getting that feeling about you



__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:48 AM   #17
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step
 
FLYING EYEBALL's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: southeast of seattle
Oddometer: 10,395
Awesomeness!!
__________________
if you keep poor...the struggle is simple

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #18
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,650
Interesting conversion so far. I wonder of the strength of the parts you are adding is enough considering the weight differences in the two bikes? I assume you intend to ride this off road a lot?

Keep up the good work. Contrary to what some may think, not all BMW guys are purists.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #19
sailah
Lampin' it
 
sailah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Turning expensive metal into scrap
Oddometer: 5,353
Ditto to what jim said. I considered a dirt bike front end for my build but ended up with a 950 due to braking concerns as well as being able to find springs heavy enough for the bike and its intended uses. My bike runs .64 springs and runs very well.

With regards to brakes you may seriously want to consider a super moto setup. That was one consideration for me but I went with a known quantity after seing what that costs. I can tell you that hauling my 450# bike down from speed uses every bit of the dual brembos and could use more. Not sure what you intend to use thr bike for, but for street use id at least consider better brakes.

Kudos for a bitchin project when finished
__________________
We're not out here to rough it. We're here to smooth it . Things are rough enough in town.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #20
larryboy OP
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,691
It's hard to notice the supermoto huge front disc that is on there when it's surrounded by such a huge motorcycle, but it's there.

Rode a buddies Super Enduro and it felt fine with a similar size front rotor.

The plan is to get this thing together ASAP as good as I can do it with the amount of cash I have right now, take our trip to Death Valley, then tear into any issues that exposes. I'll have seven months before we ride the Divide with it.

I had a KLR that weighed in at 420 pounds on a certified scale and it had wimpy forks and brakes. I'm light years ahead of that with brake/fork size...ya just gotta know your limitations and don't over ride the machine for the conditions.


Edit; Oh yeah, the 950SE uses .48 springs on the front for stock and that felt really good to me on a bike that weighs nearly the same as this project, so I ordered .49 springs for this thing and will go with 20w Harley fork oil.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~

larryboy screwed with this post 09-19-2011 at 08:50 AM
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #21
larryboy OP
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,691
Got the springs yesterday, need to get some fork oil.


Parts inbound:

Two TM40-6 carburators...

Highway Dirtbike Ultimate guards.

Buell headlights with an HID conversion.

Ignition box from Germany, top secret, details later.

Two Doubletake mirrors from Neduro.


Time to get my butt into the carholio.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #22
larryboy OP
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,691
Preparing for gravity.






I noticed that others who have gone back to carbs have come up with an adapter tube to hook the carbs to the stock flange, but I found that Sudco has a ton of different flanges. I think they'll have what I need, I'll have to call them tomorrow.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #23
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman
 
HardWorkingDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Walnut Crick, Cal.
Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Preparing for gravity...
/out of lurk mode

for those of us less bmw-inclined, what that heck is that piece of metal for? hopefully not too stoopid of a question

/back to lurk mode
__________________
"Coffee first..."

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...


"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #24
larryboy OP
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
/out of lurk mode

for those of us less bmw-inclined, what that heck is that piece of metal for? hopefully not too stoopid of a question

/back to lurk mode

Fuel pump block off plate. I bet I gain two usable gallons of fuel when the petcocks get welded in.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #25
SFKLR
Noob. Again.
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Benicia, CA
Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

Parts inbound:

Ignition box from Germany, top secret, details later.
Not the same part(s) you just sold in the Flea, is it?
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #26
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Fuel pump block off plate. I bet I gain two usable gallons of fuel when the petcocks get welded in.

I don't know about two, but certainly more than half a gallon!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #27
larryboy OP
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Not the same part(s) you just sold in the Flea, is it?

No, trying to pull off a stand alone ignition system. Ordered a coil last week and the ignition box today, hope it comes together quickly...tick tock. I'm hanging onto the harness, Motronic and coil pack until I'm sure this other direction will work.



Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I don't know about two, but certainly more than half a gallon!

Jim

Yeah, I was thinking that just the fuel pump space would get me a little over half a gallon. I don't know BMW's, but it looks like it holds quite a bit of fuel on the side the pump can't get to? Will these bikes normally drain a tank down to nothing? I'm going to put a petcock on either side once I figure out the exact low points.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #28
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
It's hard to notice the supermoto huge front disc that is on there when it's surrounded by such a huge motorcycle, but it's there.

Rode a buddies Super Enduro and it felt fine with a similar size front rotor.

The plan is to get this thing together ASAP as good as I can do it with the amount of cash I have right now, take our trip to Death Valley, then tear into any issues that exposes. I'll have seven months before we ride the Divide with it.

I had a KLR that weighed in at 420 pounds on a certified scale and it had wimpy forks and brakes. I'm light years ahead of that with brake/fork size...ya just gotta know your limitations and don't over ride the machine for the conditions.


Edit; Oh yeah, the 950SE uses .48 springs on the front for stock and that felt really good to me on a bike that weighs nearly the same as this project, so I ordered .49 springs for this thing and will go with 20w Harley fork oil.
Nice build!

You might want to change those springs if you haven't installed them yet. The SE uses .59 fork springs stock, which should be about right for your bike (maybe get some .60s). .48 or .50 is what the 640 Adventure guys run, and you have got an extra 100 lbs on them.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #29
larryboy OP
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Nice build!

You might want to change those springs if you haven't installed them yet. The SE uses .59 fork springs stock, which should be about right for your bike (maybe get some .60s). .48 or .50 is what the 640 Adventure guys run, and you have got an extra 100 lbs on them.

Thanks for stopping by with some info, all my web searching had me coming up with .48 on the SE? I'm going to go ahead and install the .49's I have and if it's too soft it's not a big deal, I'll just swap the tubes to another bike I have that needs upgraded springs too, then I'll put stiffer springs in that set of forks to put on this bike.

I'm not trying to build a Super Enduro or HP2 here, just after a nice riding two-up bike that is lighter and easier to handle.


Edit: Just sent SuperPlush an email, I really don't have time to do two sets of forks right now, thanks for the wake-up call, Lukas!!!
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~

larryboy screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 10:42 AM
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #30
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
No, trying to pull off a stand alone ignition system. Ordered a coil last week and the ignition box today, hope it comes together quickly...tick tock. I'm hanging onto the harness, Motronic and coil pack until I'm sure this other direction will work.






Yeah, I was thinking that just the fuel pump space would get me a little over half a gallon. I don't know BMW's, but it looks like it holds quite a bit of fuel on the side the pump can't get to? Will these bikes normally drain a tank down to nothing? I'm going to put a petcock on either side once I figure out the exact low points.
You can usually get about 2/10 of a gallong by tilting the bike over to the left when empty. You can probably recognize another 2-3/10 with the petcocks at the lowest position on the tank lobe.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014