Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #31
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You can usually get about 2/10 of a gallong by tilting the bike over to the left when empty. You can probably recognize another 2-3/10 with the petcocks at the lowest position on the tank lobe.

Jim

Hmm, so I'm still in the ballpark as far as I can tell. Looks like they say it's a 5.8 gallon tank and if a feller was to take care of his fuel pump and keep it submersed you only get to use 3.8 or so based on the way my fill ups were going before I tore it apart.

Shooting for all 5.8 usable and carrying my 1.5 spare can for those few times I need the extra range...Wyoming on the Divide.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #32
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Thanks for stopping by with some info, all my web searching had me coming up with .48 on the SE? I'm going to go ahead and install the .49's I have and if it's too soft it's not a big deal, I'll just swap the tubes to another bike I have that needs upgraded springs too, then I'll put stiffer springs in that set of forks to put on this bike.

I'm not trying to build a Super Enduro or HP2 here, just after a nice riding two-up bike that is lighter and easier to handle.

Edit: Just sent SuperPlush an email, I really don't have time to do two sets of forks right now, thanks for the wake-up call, Lukas!!!
The 950 Adventure is the bike that came with the .48s, the SE had the .59 like Lukas said. Most people put stiffer springs in the 950A forks. But what takes so long about replacing fork springs?

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #33
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,461
sidetrack city

Knight roller for YZ490 in VFT classifieds .

Just trying to help.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #34
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
The 950 Adventure is the bike that came with the .48s, the SE had the .59 like Lukas said. Most people put stiffer springs in the 950A forks. But what takes so long about replacing fork springs?

So maybe I'm not crazy, there is a big kTM that uses close to the spring rate that I picked out. I'll stick to that for now.

You build a lot of bikes there, "slack"meyer? It takes me about 3 hours to pull a set of forks, clean the sludge out of them, put springs in and bolt them back up. I've got about 200 hours of work to do on this thing before the end of October, seriously don't have an extra 3 hours to spare on a second fork build. I can only hold out in the heat until about noon over here, we might get a break in the weather next week and I can spend more time outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

Knight roller for YZ490 in VFT classifieds .

Just trying to help.

I've got an RZ350 engine that would be perfect for that single down tube frame, send it right over.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #35
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
So maybe I'm not crazy, there is a big kTM that uses close to the spring rate that I picked out. I'll stick to that for now.

You build a lot of bikes there, "slack"meyer? It takes me about 3 hours to pull a set of forks, clean the sludge out of them, put springs in and bolt them back up. I've got about 200 hours of work to do on this thing before the end of October, seriously don't have an extra 3 hours to spare on a second fork build. I can only hold out in the heat until about noon over here, we might get a break in the weather next week and I can spend more time outside.

:
Didn't think you were going through the whole rigamarole of cleaning everything up, too. . . .You could just swap springs much faster if that was all.

I'm trying to learn me something about revalving forks, so yeah, I'm getting pretty handy at taking the things apart and putting them back together. Then again, I'm leaving most of the rest of the bike as is. . . . . Good luck with the build. I hope to see it at some point.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #36
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Didn't think you were going through the whole rigamarole of cleaning everything up, too. . . .You could just swap springs much faster if that was all.

I'm trying to learn me something about revalving forks, so yeah, I'm getting pretty handy at taking the things apart and putting them back together. Then again, I'm leaving most of the rest of the bike as is. . . . . Good luck with the build. I hope to see it at some point.

Yeah, that's the thing. If I need to swap springs I'll yank these forks and grab my other set...starts the whole thing over. I'll just do my shakedowns with the .49's and if it's super horrible I'll be forced to change.

We might have a mini-techday at the end of October if everything works out and you're more than welcome to come on over to Elk Grove...I might put you to work though.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #37
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I'll try to do an update on Sunday with some fresh pics. I've been spending a ton of time boxing up parts and sending them out, not to mention research and design for the project.

Tons of parts are inbound and some real progress will take place over the next week.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #38
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,864
Quote:

We might have a mini-techday at the end of October if everything works out and you're more than welcome to come on over to Elk Grove...I might put you to work though.
Techday. HA! Don't you believe it. It's a painting party.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #39
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Techday. HA! Don't you believe it. It's a painting party.

Some people consider KLR balancer levers "tech", be nice.

Actually I'm working with eatpasta on the stock GS front end parts, he's trying to get what he's owed after being run down by a lawnmower so he can fix his bent up GS. He'll ride up and we'll swap the front end out real quick...what do you BMW people call those kind of things?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #40
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Ok, talking out loud here...

Things inbound for the project;

HDB stuff, handguards and switches.

Got the mirrors from neduro the other day...ultra quick shipping.

Coil is here, ignition box is on the way.

Just ordered relays with harness from Summit, going to scratch build a harness with inline fuses.

I think I have some fresh grips around here.

BuellMW headlights with HID conversion on the way.

LED blinkers on the way, I have an LED flasher already.

New rear rotor and pads on the way.

Carbs and manifolds have shipped. Manifold part number: M-VM40-200K

Exhaust gasket material has been ordered, Supertrapp custom end has arrived, need to get some exhaust bends and steel to build muffler.

Things still needed;

Parts to rebuild the final drive.

Battery, lightweight. Considering this one: http://shop.testsycl.com/1-BALLISTIC...Cell-EVO-2.htm

Passenger pegs, thinking of welding some mounts on for Pivot Pegs, Mrs. LarryBoy needs to be able to vary foot position.

Gonna fire up the white board in the shop for tasks, works good for a sense of finishing something.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #41
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,681
I'm sure you have seen the thread below... an oldie but a goodie!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...aspipe+r1100gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #42
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Yeah, I had 'pipes bike as my background on the computer as I decided to go ahead and do this build.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #43
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I wasn't planning on doing this much on the bike today, but I had an expensive package that I tracked and it was on the FedEx truck for delivery.

While waiting for the delivery I worked...

Finished up the tank mount:

You can see my first attempt, I'm leaving the bar as it might be a good mount for another piece of the trellis frame and an oil cooler mount.

Forgot to take a picture of the rear mount, but it's now centered...stock uses a mount on the extreme right side of the tank and nothing on the left, dumb. I raised the height of the seat with the tank on purpose and will need to make shim blocks for the forward seat mounts.

Then the package arrived.

Took Mrs LarryBoy out for dinner, then started mocking up the handlebar group.

You can see that my Highway Dirt Bike stuff arrived today and I put on the DoubleTake mirrors from neduro. I've had the HDB mirrors before, but I'm too tall to see out them without ducking down, they stay clear and I love the concept.

I got some stuff from Summit Racing today too, relays with harness kits and what was supposed to be a large square of exhuast gasket material, but I accidently ordered intake gasket material, doh!

Plans for tomorrow are to finish the tube work on the frame, I'm trying like hell to be able to finish weld it in place as I don't have time to deal with a tube springing out of place if I take the frame off the engine. I'll mask the engine off and paint it in place if possible.

After the tube work I'll make patterns for the exhaust and airbox so I can pick up some sheet metal on Monday.

I found a backrest on CL that I need to go get tomorrow, then I can start on the backrest frame and bag mounting.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:30 AM   #44
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Anybody know what the heck I should do for throttle cables? I'm supposed to run a push and a pull on each carb, gather them up, then push/pull from the throttle tube. Probably be easy to figure out when I'm not so tired tomorrow...oh for an 1150 thumper with one carb.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 AM   #45
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

It needs yellow fork boots, doesn't it? It's getting a black front fender that I haven't shown you guys yet and the rear fender is black, Mrs LarryBoy like the yellow tank...think it needs yellow boots to match the rear spring?

Hafta order exhaust gasket material from Summit, may as well throw some new boots in the box too.