Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #106
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,691
What's wrong with this picture :scratch

Issat the wrong way round?

Seems like there's a confusing mix of marques.

What would Captain America do with all that space?

Remember boys and girls: The Venturi Effect causes twisting forces

Hey larryboy! It was good hangin' with you today.

Quick recovery from the mosh pit!

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #107
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,234
Yeah Nix, was good just chillin' out and drinking some Benjava coffee!!

Spent all day ripping an engine wiring harness out of an E450 with the 6.0 Powerstoke...we'll see if I'm motivated enough to work on the bike in the morning...

I'd better get after it or I'm going to run out of time.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #108
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Yeah Nix, was good just chillin' out and drinking some Benjava coffee!!

I'd better get after it or I'm going to run out of time.

Don't worry, I'll come over and help you with those welds.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #109
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Major progress today.

The right flanges have arrived!!! Thanks to Chad at Sudco!!

Now I can move on the airbox, I think I'm going to weld it into the frame with a lid under the tank.

Gonna have to cut down the idle mix screw on the right side. Very glad I got the remote choke option!!

Old 10-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #110
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Fairly productive day...

Got my last tubes made and welded in, really happy with the strength and safety at this point.

Those little tabs are for the remote chokes. I've only had a torch for about six months and keep forgetting I have the thing...got to use it to shape the rear of the tube to match the curve of the subframe.

SFKLR came over and helped me swap the springs out of the forks. Glad he did as it took three of his hands and three of mine...these aren't simple KLR forks. Went with 15 weight fork oil as that was the heaviest I could find nearby.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #111
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,495
Nice I was looking at the first pics thinking he needs a diagonal from the bottom of the Honda frame back to the transmission (??) point. Where the original tube lands mid tube isn't doing much, glad you figured and welded it in the 30 seconds it took me to scroll, man you're fast.

Are those regular dirt wheels on the front? Only reason I ask is that I had Woodys build me a 950 front for my FZ. Heavy spokes, Excel rim etc.

On my new project I'm wondering if I can get away with a standard dirt wheel. I have YZ450 wheels but man do the spokes look puny. Every wheel builder says I'm nuts to even think about using a 450 wheel. So I'm leaning towards spending the money again and getting a built wheel. I have to imagine your build is going to come in heavier than mine at #350. Is it not in the budget or are you simply going to run it and see if it breaks/upgrade later type deal?

Just an FYI timing issue, I also had a hard deadline for the Eastern Rendezvous and thought I was well in hand. Nope. Pulled 48 hours straight no sleep and left still having not slept for the 8 hour ride. The little things you'll need to redo 14 times before you need to leave eat an enormous amount of time, energy and patience.

I would also HIGHLY suggest you don't finish the frame before you go. Esp being in the dry climate like you are, it is nice to be able to reweld something or add a bracket/tab whatever without having to remove paint or powder.

Does the front end of those biikes really weigh that much? By going my route on the new bike I'm taking it from #390 to I figure about 350 from losing weight in the wheels, plastic, tank, swingarm and going to an aluminum subframe and minimal creature comforts, no gauges etc. Just wondering where you got your figures is all.

Looks good, nice coping joints on your tubes, I know those aren't easy to nail.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #112
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Yeah, it just had to have those extra tubes to tie it all together.

Yup, XR650R front wheel...you know, the Baja 1000 winning wheel.

I'm seriously not going to be railing this bike like it's something it isn't. My stalled Bandit project got Warp 9 hoops and huge spokes from Buchannan, I plan to jump that bike and beat the hell out of it. It's kind of funny that the XRR spokes are within .2mm of the original GS spokes.

Yes, serious time crunch here. Nice to see another fabber stop in and understand what the hell I'm talking about. I worship those chopper shows where they build a bike in 10 days with a 2 or 3 man team, it's much harder than it looks.

I got my weight numbers by weighing myself with each part that I took off the GS, forgot to weigh the battery...I think the stocker is 14 pounds and the one I'm putting back in weighs 2 pounds 5 ounces...so I'm up to 160 pounds off of the bike or so. I will weigh the stuff going back on the bike to get a final number before fuel.

I've been using the chop saw tube notching method, wish I had a lathe and one of those bits you see on TV.

Like this: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost....86&postcount=1

I have to put paint on it, California has four seasons...San Diego doesn't, but that's Mexico. We've already had a couple of frog stranglers.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #113
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Good progress so far today...

Gonna try to put in another 5 or 6 hours...
Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #114
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,495
Quote:
Good progress so far today...

Gonna try to put in another 5 or 6 hours...

I hear ya!!

Try and finish a week early, seriously. That way parts you'll need can get there in time for the departure.

About the painting I was simply suggesting putting down some miles on the setup first then paint it once you're sure it's solid and nothing needs to change. I'm so glad I decided not to paint my bike yet (actually going to powdercoat the bike) and have ridden it all summer. There's a few things I'm going to move and redo. Course if you've done all the thinking ahead of time no reason not to strip it down and paint it.

Good work on those rear tubes, that looks a lot better.

When's the trip?

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #115
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post

I hear ya!!

Try and finish a week early, seriously. That way parts you'll need can get there in time for the departure.

About the painting I was simply suggesting putting down some miles on the setup first then paint it once you're sure it's solid and nothing needs to change. I'm so glad I decided not to paint my bike yet (actually going to powdercoat the bike) and have ridden it all summer. There's a few things I'm going to move and redo. Course if you've done all the thinking ahead of time no reason not to strip it down and paint it.

Good work on those rear tubes, that looks a lot better.

When's the trip?

Wasted some time on the crash bars, gonna put that off to the end if there is time, same thing with the custom muffler...I can slam the cat back on really quick for the exhuast if I run out of time.

I don't think I'll have any do-over work, but I might forget a tab here and there, so I'm going with paint for easy touch up. The chance of rain and snow is very high for this trip and I hate cleaning up a rusty mess.

I want to be riding it by Halloween...it is a Zombie afterall.

Shake down trip by myself is set for Nov 9-13, this isn't an absolute must, but it is my goal. Main trip where I don't want to kill us both starts November 19th.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #116
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Goofed around with the crash bars, much custom work will be needed to make them fit the new mods...gonna put it off until the end of the project.

Back to work on the battery tray and hold down.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #117
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Looks like that tube bender's earning its keep!

Don'tcha think that battery color's a little off?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #118
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels View Post
Looks like that tube bender's earning its keep!

Don'tcha think that battery color's a little off?

I haven't used the bender at all, used the bag racks that were left from my old Buell.

I'll have to paint the battery, good point.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #119
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Quote:
I haven't used the bender at all, used the bag racks that were left from my old Buell.

I'll have to paint the battery, good point.

I'd like to see the process of transformation.

Knowing you, it took no time at all, and you didn't do a before/after sequence.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #120
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,073
When I held that new battery I thought maybe someone sold Rob an empty box. What a huge weight savings over stock. Lower amp/hours, but dang--this lithium ion stuff is light.

The zombie looks sweet in person. Italian-like frame around a clean German engine with shaft drive, 21 inch front with massive disc and knobbie tires just looks the shizzle. If it was naked before, it is skeletal in its simplicity now. A Russ Mitchell industrial badass special. No beaks, goofy headlights, windshield stuff, massive dash, etc. Really want to hear this bike growl with the two carbs and a custom pipe on it!

SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote