User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
nick_rhinocycles OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Mini TAT Prep - R100GS Maintenance

So my buddies and I are heading off into the wild to do a small part of the Trans America Trail, hitting some of Nevada and all of Oregon, then back down the coast to Summerless San Francisco.

The bike needs a few things to be ready for the trip, so here we are documenting what needs doing.
Feelings of Panic are setting in as I just looked at the calendar.

How does it take a month of prep time to ride a bike for 7-9 days? LOL

Here is Day 1

It started with a little leak that needed fixing:

And let's face it I have not done anything to the bike since the last desert trip, so it's time to dig in.

First Drain the gas:

Try to catch a drop mid-air:

She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid.
(Now do you know why I have the cover?)

You do NOT need 11 Gallons of Gas. You do NOT. No no no you do NOT.

Good lord, dirt and dust, justa ever-wheres!

My Lead Acid Battery finally died, and so I was able to use the Odyssey that had been sitting around (on a charger) for ever.
Need to figure out a proper mount for this thing.

Repaired Speedo Should be done by tomorrow. It goes HERE:

Order this part!

Buy Some Tires! This is a Dunlop 606 on the rear.

IRC 110 on the Front, both are toast.

Oh man. Don't let your bike fall off the lift!

Welding:

While there, get this welded too (steering stops) -- thank you nice lady in the SUV for driving me into that pickup!

Replace brake pads (they are OK but they squeal like that guy in "Deliverance".

I'm thinking the INSIDE of the Airbox should NOT look like this (note the clean swipe!):

Worlds smallest oil cooler.
How Ghetto of me is it to leave this "Death Valley Repair Job" as it is?

Stated to do some cleanup... Looking better already

Carbs need cleaning for sure:

Getting down to the leaking Neutral Switch, which the put in a pretty convenient place for you!

Now we have some room in there (note the Twin Headlight Ernie Bash Plate)

Here is the leak, WAY tucked up in there. How do I get that thing out of there? I took off the engine mounting stud,
but not sure if that middle section is a spacer or what...

I also took a wire brush to some of the front spokes, this was more of a "Proof of Concept" than anything,
These things are pretty crusty.

Well that about does it for Day 1.

Clean everything up and off to bed. Night Night Max, you Mad Mule.

nick_rhinocycles screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 05:35 PM
nick_rhinocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
PD-Classic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Tat

Sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_rhinocycles View Post
So my buddies and I are heading off into the wild to do a small part of the Trans America Trail, hitting some of Nevada and all of Oregon, then back down the coast to Summerless San Francisco.

The bike needs a few things to be ready for the trip, so here we are documenting what needs doing.
Feelings of Panic are setting in as I just looked at the calendar.

How does it take a month of prep time to ride a bike for 7-9 days? LOL

Here is Day 1

It started with a little leak that needed fixing:

And let's face it I have not done anything to the bike since the last desert trip, so it's time to dig in.

First Drain the gas:

Try to catch a drop mid-air:

She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid.
(Now do you know why I have the cover?)

You do NOT need 11 Gallons of Gas. You do NOT. No no no you do NOT.

Good lord, dirt and dust, justa ever-wheres!

My Lead Acid Battery finally died, and so I was able to use the Odyssey that had been sitting around (on a charger) for ever.
Need to figure out a proper mount for this thing.

Repaired Speedo Should be done by tomorrow. It goes HERE:

Order this part!

Buy Some Tires! This is a Dunlop 606 on the rear.

IRC 110 on the Front, both are toast.

Oh man. Don't let your bike fall off the lift!

Welding:

While there, get this welded too (steering stops) -- thank you nice lady in the SUV for driving me into that pickup!

Replace brake pads (they are OK but they squeal like that guy in "Deliverance".

I'm thinking the INSIDE of the Airbox should NOT look like this (note the clean swipe!):

Worlds smallest oil cooler.
How Ghetto of me is it to leave this "Death Valley Repair Job" as it is?

Stated to do some cleanup... Looking better already

Carbs need cleaning for sure:

Getting down to the leaking Neutral Switch, which the put in a pretty convenient place for you!

Now we have some room in there (note the Twin Headlight Ernie Bash Plate)

Here is the leak, WAY tucked up in there. How do I get that thing out of there? I took off the engine mounting stud,
but not sure if that middle section is a spacer or what...

I also took a wire brush to some of the front spokes, this was more of a "Proof of Concept" than anything,
These things are pretty crusty.

Well that about does it for Day 1.

Clean everything up and off to bed. Night Night Max, you Mad Mule.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
That is a spacer blocking the neutral switch. They can be in there very tightly and need some serious persuading to move.

What tires are you putting on for the trip?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
Love the HPN tank, at least you won't need to keep it completely full, can't imagine all the weight on the front end....whew!!

So how's the GS handle loose stuff???? Good I hope as Nevada has lots of it. One good thing about the airhead, if there is someone following you there will be less scrub brush to whack through behind you.

Soft bags or hard bags on your trip???
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-19-2011 at 03:32 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Nice bike! Looks like a nice to do list.

1) My rear rack cracked in that exact same spot. I put a length of 7/16" steel rod in the tubes before welding.

2) Did you have a stock air filter or a K&N? Or is there some other leak into the airbox? The K&Ns can be installed with a gap at the front that allows unfiltered air into the engine.

3) You can order another muffler bolt or just replace it with a bolt. That rubber thing will just break again.

4) What part of the oil filter failed? Just curious.

5) FWIW, I just went through my first TKC-80s and I really liked 'em.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Mane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Thumb Great post!

Great writeup Nick, please keep us posted.

(Doing a little ride report would be really nice too, you know?)

Regards,
Mane
'03 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Death because of hopistalary infection R.I.P.)
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get all dirty, and the pig likes it".
Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,145
Hi Nick. Your bike looks great in the top photo. I've been in & trawled your website / blog before.

I don't run a rear rubber damper / bolt set up on the muffler on my GS. Not causing an issues.

The HPN tanks are great. You truly don't need that much gas (well, not often), but its nice to have options. And it carries gas low & central, & the tank is, well, a TANK.

My bike felt much better once I got rid of the IRC GP110 tyres I bought it with (wore them out, and am not in a hurry to replace them). They were very lightweight in the carcass. I've never run a D606 rear, but understand that they are a great tyre, albeit a bit short lived on the rear.

I have recently put a foam filter on. That seems to be working well, I can clean it when I'm away (don't need to pack spare paper ones), & I don't need to worry about drowning the bike as much (not a fan of soggy paper filters - not much you can do with them). Check the rubber duck bill at the rear of the filter housing. They can leak air / dust thru there.

I'm trying to get across with my GS to do the TAT at some stage in the next couple of years. Keen to see you act as Guinea Pig, especially in the soft stuff. Please do a ride report. OLH let me down by taking a DRZ thru. . Might want to go to more aggressive DOT knobbies for Nevada?. I use a Pirelli MT21 front & Mitas E09 rear. The E09 seems to be lasting the best of any tyre that I have run, & is still a prettty good all round (dirt oriented) tyre. I'm impressed. I wouldn't have thought TKCs would cut it there though.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 09-19-2011 at 04:12 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

You're gonna want a good aggressive knobbie up front, I was running TCK80's until Utah and there was a considerable improvement with the 606's over the TCK's. The front hooked up quite a bit better. You'll run into some sand in NV, and OR is a lot like CO. Oregon is a gorgeous state on the TAT.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
nick_rhinocycles OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Thanks for the replies fellas, here are some answers to the questions you posed.

Also I'm considering replacing the boot between the trans and the swingarm, as it's starting to crack a little.
It would give me room to do the neutral switch, and maybe a spline lube, but I'm not sure I have time to do this with all other stuff that needs doing. Anyway...

Spacer:
Thanks for the response, I read Snowbum's article on this so I'm feeling pretty good about getting it out.

Tank Weight:
I always felt like the bike handles fine even full. It's hard to tell how much fuel is in it, so I tend to run it more full than less, even off road.
But then I rode it with 2 gallons in it and it was great!
The problem is, if you have an 11 gallon tank, your buddies will never let you live down running it out of gas. LOL

I really like the design of the tank, as mentioned it keeps the weight really low. I would probably be fine with half the size.
(ok unless you are going to alaska, or siberia)

Tires:
I really like the IRC 110s that came on it. I road it hard on the street, and in wet weather, and they were nice. I think they are a 50/50 tire, but they wear a little fast.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will likely go with a D606 or similar; basically I'm going with the most aggressive tire I can find. I will be riding this two days down the coast back home, but I will sacrifice road manners for super knobs for this trip.

My main concern is convincing my buddies to do the same.

Handling:
Loose stuff, this think is a tank. You sit back, stay on the throttle, and let the rear tire do it's thing. But you only want to pick up this bike a couple of times per day.

Luggage:
This a tough one. Here's what I *have* that could work.
Old soft saddlebags.
Stock BMW cases
Givi bags

I like the stock bags the best, but I'm not sure I want to bang them up more than necessary (they are not pristine by any means).

Soft saddles probably make the most sense… I have not used these in a long time (since I got hard bags years ago)

The Givi, I might only carry a top box and let it go at that.

Airfilter:
Was stock have K&N rechargeable which I'm putting back on.

Oil Cooler:
Bike had a Lockhart Philips which failed in Death Valley, just sprung a leak. Seriously considering just leaving the fuel line in there.

--Nick

nick_rhinocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

I was in Honduras during the military coup a few years ago. The government closed all the gas stations in the country for almost a week. I crossed the whole country on that tank of gas. That one event makes carrying 11 gallons everywhere worth it!

I plugged that duckbill vent at the back of the airbox. That piece of rubber will fail at some point and there's not much use for it.

Spline lubing is overrated. Don't go out of your way to do it.

Nathan at Boxerworks has 170,000 miles on high compresson 1000 cylinders & pistons and he's never run an oil-cooler. He said on a RT, with a fairing blocking the cylinders, they makes sense but that they're a waste of time on anything else.

I've got a GS tire thread you oughta look at if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...light=shootout

Did you do all the mods on this bike? The fork, dual-plugging, etc.? What'd you do to the engine?

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 09-19-2011 at 10:49 AM
Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Go w/ the soft bags, the stock BMW bags probably wouldn't make it. The scrub brush will be pulling at the bags. I had the wolfman expedition bags which held up very well to the brush. Even on the narrow DRZ the tracks in Nevada were pretty narrow, but fun. I was riding so close to the brush that there were a couple of times it reached out and grabbed my leg, good thing about the heads of the GS.

5 gal of gas in the HPN will be very low. No need to fill it completely. There is one section in NV that is 160 miles between fuel stops.

I'd check the headset bearings as they will be taking a pounding, and think about bringing some tubes.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-19-2011 at 11:23 AM
Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,792
Your airbox and filter: I see stock filters leaving airboxes like that and worse ALL the time. They don't filter worth a crap. Oiled foam might work but this much I know for sure about oiled foam. (Oiled foam works perfect on stroker dirt bikes but they get washed and oiled EVERY ride!) They turn your airbox into a mess and every one that I have ever serviced should have been cleaned and oiled LONG before I got to them. Apparently the oil gets sucked through in no time and they don't filter at all without oil! Your box looks clean compared to every box I have ever serviced with a foam filter.

Modified K+N's filter best. Don't wash them. Occasionally knock the loose crap off them and re-oil them and they filter perfect. When brand new they need re-oiling more frequently until they amass some dirt to hold the oil.

Running your box like that minus the air horns KILLS midrange with very little if any payoff on top. Go back to stock and you will love it.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

I've got a Uni foam filter and my airbox is always dirty and I'm sure it's sealed well. The only thing that makes sense is supershaft's explanation: I don't clean/oil it often enough. I'm going to try that K&N since I'm too lazy to oil that foam filter as often as it seems to needs it.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 09-19-2011 at 11:40 AM Reason: honesty: I got time, I'm just lazy :)
Old 09-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Let's talk about something less controversial than air filter choice....like politics or religion

Where'd you get that tank cover at, Nick?

Old 09-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Wonder what oil he should be running???

Come to think of it don't think I've ever seen a nice looking HPN tank....just pictures of them.