User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,328
$$$ to repaint frame?

I recently purchased a '75 R90/6 project. The tank, fenders and headlight shell are definitely getting painted, a long-ago owner did a screwed up job on them.

After pulling these pieces off, I'm questioning whether I should have all of the frame parts repainted as well. There's some minor issues with the frame paint, but nothing terrible. I'm not looking for a showroom-condition restoration, just a good looking, clean 35 year old bike.

Can anyone give me some price ranges on what you spent to have the frame, subframe, and other black bits repainted? Did you prep the parts yourself and just pay a pro for the color coat and clear coat, or did you send the whole thing out to be stripped and painted?

Thanks in advance,
Stu
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
I haven't had any frames done in quite a few years, but I plan on having two Royal Enfield frames and associated bits powder coated, so I asked a friend who recently restored a Norton about current prices for powder coating, and he said it ran him about $250 to have a Commando frame and the miscellania attached to it done.
He masked the places where he didn't want paint, but the powder coater did the sand blasting and cleaning.
Prices will vary according to location.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
kraut.burner
Smells güt!

Oddometer: 460
I had my R75/6 main frame, swingarm, and rear subframe sandblasted and powder coated for around $200

Just be really picky with the powder coater to plug all holes and bearing races!

kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
elite-less
As above, so below

Oddometer: 538
I have my frames powder coat, saves a lot of hassle. I can get them done locally for $150-$250 depending on the required prep work and quantity of parts. The media blasting can sometimes be an additional fee.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut.burner View Post
I had my R75/6 main frame, swingarm, and rear subframe sandblasted and powder coated for around $200

Just be really picky with the powder coater to plug all holes and bearing races!
Thanks for the info, I've been following your cafe build thread. I contacted a local powder coater for an estimate.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
My frame, swingarm and lots of little brackets were $300 for powder coat. Check your powder coater carefully. Mine came with a referal from K&L Chrome. This shop is known for being on "Trick my Truck" on CMT. It looks OK, but I think I would have had a nicer finish and nearly as tough had I painted everything myself.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 949
Been using the same shop for powder coating for the last 15 years...averages around $500 but that also includes every little part...frame, subframe, center stand, side stand, handle bars and controls, brackets, lower fork sliders, seat bracket, clutch and brake handles, etc.

A good shop will know what to plug and mask off so you don't have to chase or Dremel every hole when it comes back.
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Might want to check with a place like One Day paint and body.. Correctly applied, a good epoxy paint on a properly prepped frame can last a lifetime and is way smoother and better looking than any powder coated frame I have ever seen. I can also say it is a bit cheaper, less than half what I see powder coating go for.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
dfishman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Epoxy chalks & fades in the sun....

It is hard & chemical resistant but not the best choice.I have used a 2 part liniear polyurethane marine paint in the past.Awlgrip marine paint is very hard & glossy & holds up to the sun.If you are paying someone to do the job,powder coating is the best value.
dfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,085
Cool2 alternativism

...Have you got the motor out of the frame? If you don't want to go that far, you can get some pretty decent results with some elbow grease and some creative rattlecan techniques...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfishman View Post
It is hard & chemical resistant but not the best choice.I have used a 2 part liniear polyurethane marine paint in the past.Awlgrip marine paint is very hard & glossy & holds up to the sun.If you are paying someone to do the job,powder coating is the best value.
If the body shop is instructed to use flex agent in the paint it works great on frames. and I have never seen frames that were painted fade in the sun.....In fact, the total faded out beater parts 1969 CL350 I got as a parts bike still has shiny epoxy paint on the frame.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,137
I've gone the route of having the frame, swingarm, etc bead blasted (usually fairly cheap, as I recall about $70) and then just haul it out to the back yard and put on multiple coats of good quality enamel spray paint from a can. Last bike I did like that, about 9 years ago now, still looks fine. Less than $100 all up.

Edit: in fact, just starting on a project and this is exactly the process I'm planning to use.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720997

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
I've gone the route of having the frame, swingarm, etc bead blasted (usually fairly cheap, as I recall about $70) and then just haul it out to the back yard and put on multiple coats of good quality enamel spray paint from a can. Last bike I did like that, about 9 years ago now, still looks fine. Less than $100 all up.

Edit: in fact, just starting on a project and this is exactly the process I'm planning to use.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720997
The One Day P&B here will paint a MC frame and swingingarm for 100 clams with base coat clear coat in any colour you want.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

I got some responses from local shops that blast and powdercoat motorcycles, ~ $200 for the frame and other black bits. I think I'm going to go this route and spend my time on the mechanicals like rebuilding the forks, instead of sanding the frame and doing it myself.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I got some responses from local shops that blast and powdercoat motorcycles, ~ $200 for the frame and other black bits. I think I'm going to go this route and spend my time on the mechanicals like rebuilding the forks, instead of sanding the frame and doing it myself.
hand sanding a frame is NO FUN and dangerous to hands from cuts and scrapes. Way better and cheaper if you count time, to have it done.