Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #151
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Hey Sam,
What was the "vibe" like in Creel and Batopilas? We've all heard all the stuff ... and what about Tourists? Many other riders about? Just curious.

You guys are probably to Durango by now. How's the weather?
Enjoy!

PS ... there is a BMW dealer in Guadalajara ... but I think it's cars only, not sure. But lots of BMW bike riders live there and I think there is a shop or two .... you know ... just in case.
Hola there ADV Grifter. Well how can I start about the "vibe" here. Well I too was very apprehensive but after 5 days now I/we have been received in a very positive light. people have been decent and patient with us, albeit I must say in the northern part of the country some seemed a little stand off-ish.

One must get used to the numerous control checkpoints in the first 200 miles of the US but it's really for the best. Customs, police and military check points. we still hit a military CP today but more relaxed with smiles.

I must tell you that every time we stopped people are very friendly, some places there is no English so some basic Spanish is helpful, but pointing and frailing your arms helps too Amazing how you pick up on some Spanish as they will correct you, mostly numbers. When we rode the back roads people have not seen much in the way of gringos so we got starred at alot in Sonora. There are many Pueblos not on the map along the way everyone waves at us and smiles, so no, not worrisome at all.

Come on down the water is fine...

Mark and I have been discussing the fact that we have not seen one not one gringo down here anywhere. Not on a motorcycle and or automobile. really weird. Most of the time the roads are devoid of traffic and only commercial trucks and farmers pickups..

I think our media has us scared to death and I am sure bad things happen but we've seen nothing but positive things so far, and thats over 1100 miles now.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #152
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Hi Ladybug, Toni, Clint, and everyone thank you all for following along. I will get the videos loaded if I can get them edited on this cheap laptop I am using. In the meantime.

I think I left off with day one posted and on to day 2.

We left out of SAhuaripa heading south on the Ruta Del Sierra a beautiful desolate road that starts to get a little patchy as you close on MX 16 . Mx 16 is one twisty hilly road very good pavement so you can cover ground but you will get a work out. Because of the twist we lost what we thought we could do for mileage; I thought 300 a day would be doable but actually 200 miles is a more realistic number.

We made to this little mining town off the main road, I thinks the name was Basaetchic where we settled for the evening.

Some shots of this day

We made the decision to call it a day as we where at our 3 PM rule, so here is the wonderful accommodations for the evening.

It was pretty basic from the night before but clean and at 8000 feet with an open window I slept GOOD. Bed had nice warm wool blankets no problems

Oh Mark changed the oil on his new motor there in the parking lot.

OK there's a start. I'll post up more tomorrow as we are staying in Durango for a rest day and to tour around.

Aldous Huxley
Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #153
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Come on down the water is fine...

Mark and I have been discussing the fact that we have not seen one not one gringo down here anywhere. Not on a motorcycle and or automobile. really weird. Most of the time the roads are devoid of traffic and only commercial trucks and farmers pickups..

I think our media has us scared to death and I am sure bad things happen but we've seen nothing but positive things so far, and thats over 1100 miles now.
So good to hear! But no surprise on lack of tourists. Your assessment is accurate IMHO. It's also Harvest Time there. Last time in Creel/Batopilas in '06 there were at least 100 bikes around and about during our 7 day visit to Creel and Batopilas. During the HUBB events ... that figure would double. Bikes everywhere over that weekend.

I thought it was about 50 or 60 miles from Creel to Batopilas? No? The road is a lot better than my first visit in a VW bus in 1973! I've been 3 more times since ... all on bikes.

Safe Going!!! y suerte!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #154
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,210
Teaserz

Sam:

Great little teaser video back there. That little piece of road looked scary. Did you sceam like a little girl (me), or did you man up?
I'm following along on both yours and Marks posts and enjoying the journey very much.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #155
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
So good to hear! But no surprise on lack of tourists. Your assessment is accurate IMHO. It's also Harvest Time there. Last time in Creel/Batopilas in '06 there were at least 100 bikes around and about during our 7 day visit to Creel and Batopilas. During the HUBB events ... that figure would double. Bikes everywhere over that weekend.

I thought it was about 50 or 60 miles from Creel to Batopilas? No? The road is a lot better than my first visit in a VW bus in 1973! I've been 3 more times since ... all on bikes.

Safe Going!!! y suerte!
Seems that it is about 60 miles from Creel to Batopilas, but there are widing the road and paving it as they go. Currently at the rim is where is construction. Breaking out rock and dozing out larger patches It's also where I had a tip over on my bike Mark has the video. More on that later. I assure you the road on the other side of the bridge is umm... not a smooth ride. had numerous slides from some previous rain that were interesting to cross.

Aldous Huxley
Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #156
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfcathy View Post
Sam:

Great little teaser video back there. That little piece of road looked scary. Did you sceam like a little girl (me), or did you man up?
I'm following along on both yours and Marks posts and enjoying the journey very much.
Hi Cathy, yea you and Skip should be having a giggle at our exploits and I bet you hating us too cause I Know you two are wishing you were here too. Stay Tuned

Aldous Huxley
Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #157
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Day 3

So after one of the best sleeps I've had in awhile, woke to a very crisp morning, matter of fact we had to pull our jackets and put the liners in the riding pants................... but that only lasted until early afternoon.

Couple of miles out we took a turn off onto Highway 23 (per TripleA) that leads to San Juanito. If given the chance take this most excellent road. it was foggy and I almost kissed a horse standing in the middle of the road. I think Mark caught a great shot of a monetary or something. Me no pictures on this leg just ride.

Made it to Creel, seemed weird to be devoid of tourists. Filled up and then had breakfast.

And then we are off, with some antics thrown in

A most beautiful ride to the rim.

Since entering Mexico we see this frequently but this time I thought I stop make a little prayer for the Virgin Mother to watch over me on this leg of my ride. BTW the candle was burning inside.

Before I go on I would like to note that we would be riding along with Nothing around and see people walking along side the road walking from one Pueblo to another 10 miles apart. Sometime individuals some families some father and son. Sometime sitting along the highway patiently waiting for a bus... when ever that is. You have to understand so many haqve so little here it's no wonder the families send someone to American to work and send money home to the family because how little the amount looks to us I am sure it's a God send the loved ones left here. Count you blessings.

Back to the Ride

Well rode a few more miles to the start of the construction about a mile from the rim rocky and some deep soft dirt laid out flat, and since it's Sunday no work just rode through couple of interesting spots to negotiate I looked back and didn't see Mark so I waited maybe 3 minutes so I turned around to see whats going on...

Hum, I better go help him.

The first of what I am sure to be more Damage
assessments to come

Did some repacking and off we go Whooo! looks steep, so mark says, you go first, my retort thanks, Marks says, your the oldest

And so off we go...............

Sure Hope my om-age to the Mother Mary Pay Off

Mark at the bridge but still not at the bottom yet, We have 27 more KM's another hour.

Mark and I happy we made it through a particularly tricky washout section

Now I didn't really take pictures as the road demanded my attention on a fully loaded heavy bike. I did notice these indigenous peoples walking along normally the men solo and the women together little white skirt the men wore with red tops and handmade sandals, the women had very colorful long dresses reaching to the ground; I'll research this more unless someone knows something about them. I couldn't get pictures cause I was busy on the handle bars and didn't really feel right stopping and taking there picture, beside some places I couldn't stop. Hopefully Mark got some shots with is on the fly system.

Finally made into Batopilas about 4, I was stoked neat little Pueblo in the bottom of an ominous Canyon.

We looked around for a Hotel and took the best one in town. Seemed like everyone was excited to see us, like no Mortard Gringos have been here for a bit.

The Hotel Foyer

Central our room is back top left

The room

OK, I need to upload more pictures back soon.

Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 10-26-2011 at 09:01 AM
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #158
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
. I did notice these indigenous peoples walking along normally the men solo and the women together little white skirt the men wore with red tops and handmade sandals, the women had very colorful long dresses reaching to the ground; I'll research this more unless someone knows something about them.
That would be the Tarahumara people. My understanding of their history is that they use to roam N. Mexico but moved to the Sierra Madre and the canyon to escape the Spanish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarahumara_people

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #159
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowl View Post
That would be the Tarahumara people. My understanding of their history is that they use to roam N. Mexico but moved to the Sierra Madre and the canyon to escape the Spanish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarahumara_people

Hey Hootowl, thanks so much for looking that up.

Aldous Huxley
Old 10-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #160
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,210
Greatness

Sam, Mark

Great posts, great pics. I think Skip and I need to at least tour all of Mexico, since we're so close and all.

I check in every day to your's and Marks threads. Always a nice treat to read about your latest experiences.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #161
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Day 3 contiuned

To be quit honest it is very difficult to keep up with time out here on the road much less what day it is.

That night in the bottom of the canyon we sat at the only local watering hole and drank a couple Grande Cervesas Clara Blanco, 1 liter bottles the only choice in town. bantered about Baseball, I told them Go Texjas Rangers they were for the other team and so the fun laughing and bantering went on. Funny how alcohol makes the language barriers break down, had dinner across the street at the 5 Patio. After hanging with the locals the next morning the town (at least my new amigos) helped us find gasolina (another story)

Front of the Hotel in the morning as we are loading up the school kids going to school.

They are passing by the owners home and our gracious hostess; I don't think I mentioned breakfast was included in her home.

She gave us a business card to spread the word to other ADV rider.

Need to post before internet drops comes and goes.

Aldous Huxley
Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #162
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 256
Awesome, will be following you guys.
linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #163
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,973
Hey, Sam.

I'm trying to catch up on my ADV reading, after being gone for awhile.

I rode the same route from Douglas to Moctezuma to 16 to Basaseachic. A fantastic road. It looks like they got the bridge completed. There was a detour thru the river when I went down a few years ago. That reminds me, I need to finish my Mexico ride report.

I'll follow along, if you don't mind.

I lost a pound every two days on my long trip. Keep riding, less eating. Really, I ate everything I wanted and still lost weight. Number crunching...3 carry the... ## ah hmmm. I need to ride about a year to get sveltd

Luck and all that.

thetourist screwed with this post 10-26-2011 at 02:12 PM
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #164
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Hey all, the internet can be a on again off again issue, don't know why and this cheap laptop of mine video editing is difficult as my Go Pro captures in MP4 HD so here some raw video of riding Batoplias in search of gasolina. BTW at the end of this ride we had to turn around and ride to the other end of town, someone sells gas out of 5 gallon plastic tanks. 4 gallon 216 P

The place we stopped at in the video is for government vehicles only.

Sorry about no music just my camera rattling around............. Enjoy: Now fixed with music.

Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 07:14 PM Reason: video update
Old 10-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #165
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post
Hey, Sam.

I'm trying to catch up on my ADV reading, after being gone for awhile.

I rode the same route from Douglas to Moctezuma to 16 to Basasiachi. A fantastic road. It looks like they got the bridge completed. There was a detour thru the river when I went down a few years ago. That reminds me, I need to finish my Mexico ride report.

I'll follow along, if you don't mind.

I lost a pound every two days on my long trip. Keep riding, less eating. Really, I ate everything I wanted and still lost weight. Number crunching...3 carry the... ## ah hmmm. I need to ride about a year to get sveltd

Luck and all that.
Hi Dick, been a very long time, good to know your out and about. YES that is a awesome route to take no traffic and those little Pueblos out there are pretty cool too.... not that we missed any turns due to lack of signage I don't think many folks take that Ruta as it is nothing more than a thin pencil line on the map.

Hang in there I have a long way to go, Tomorrow the Devils Backbone to Mazalatan (sp)

Aldous Huxley