Enjoying the Ride

Oddometer: 117
Corvair was the first Automobile to Cross the Darien Gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Here you need to read this:

http://www.adventuretravelfilmfestiv...es-south-1971/

Just a short synopsis....

Are you ready to go on a ride yet? I am getting ready to proof out my annual Prairie ride. looking for a new route. Also would you be interested in riding the Pony Express with me? I put the research together back in 2008 (route plotted ) finally have time to ride it... PM or email me if interested.

Good to hear from you again

Sorry for the confusion. After watching your video, Cycling South, listed above, this one in two parts about crossing the Darien Gap in three Corvairs with two four-wheel drive Chevrolet support trucks followed. I got so engrossed in watching them, I forgot about your movie clip, Cycling South. You really should view these. They are quite remarkable. I have done a brief search on the internet trying to find what year this movie documentary was made, but have not found anything. My guess is that it was made in the late 1950's or early 1960's....I'll get in touch with you about the Pony Express ride.

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read...,416560,416629

coolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #512
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsen View Post
Sorry for the confusion. After watching your video, Cycling South, listed above, this one in two parts about crossing the Darien Gap in three Corvairs with two four-wheel drive Chevrolet support trucks followed. I got so engrossed in watching them, I forgot about your movie clip, Cycling South. You really should view these. They are quite remarkable. I have done a brief search on the internet trying to find what year this movie documentary was made, but have not found anything. My guess is that it was made in the late 1950's or early 1960's....I'll get in touch with you about the Pony Express ride.

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read...,416560,416629

Well, that was entertaining! Explains the logistics of building a road through..... Can you imagine riding a bike through? I think on a smaller bike it's possible, and a much younger aged person than me.

Anyway the copyright last three are LXI or 61 and the car's plate shows a 1962 model. Tough car.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #513
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Well, that was entertaining! and the car's plate shows a 1962 model. Tough car.
and that was before Ralph Nader wrote "Unsafe at any Speed". He did have a point though, most of the crashes were caused by Corvairs going backwards down the road.... after they turned around in a spin.
I worked on a bunch of them in my early days (I admit, I was 18 and the cars were already over 15 years old). I still swear if you set the tire pressure correct (and drove with sense) you would not have the problem. It was like 18psi front, 35 psi rear but everybody just read the 32psi marked on the tire as what they were supposed to be set to.

anyway, thanks for the video. I could even smell the oil smell as the heater tubes sucked the smoke from any engine oil leaks into the car
Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #514
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
I owned a 1962 Corvair in 1968, it was the most amazing car in the deep snow, I would never get stuck.
It was the best bumper riding car ever!!! Anybody remember bumper riding were you held on to the bumper of the car when it was really icy and got pulled along on your boots? My personel best was 60 mph hanging on to the bumper, that was back when the roads were not sanded and remained snow covered for long periods.
Sorry for the thread high jack.

Cal screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 08:01 PM
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #515
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,675
We used to take a VW beetle hood, turn it upside down, tie a rope to the handle, then tow it around a snow covered field in circles with my Ford Falcon.
Farm Boys having winter fun

Back to sam's trip

TowPro screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 06:05 PM
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #516
PapaYolk
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,406
Had a Corvair with the factory turbocharger. Had to keep a 100lb bag of cement under the front hood to keep the steering from floating when up to 90 mph. The heater was a combustion chamber with a spark plug. Some paper fell down the passenger defrost vent and burst into flames. Also had a Corvair Greenbrier. Only van I ever owned that you cold roll down the back windows. Crossed the county in it one hot summer with wife, kids and a pregnant sister-in-law. Now that was an adventure.

Yes, please.
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote