User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #61
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
My Border Song

This is what will be playing in my ipod first after crossing the border.... Enjoy

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #62
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Hold the press

WE find ourselves a the starting gate and .....................

Think TUCSON in lieu of Houston

I'll let Radioman explain. link

Failure to Launch

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #63
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Morning All Sept 29th

Been a few days since posting, as I've not had much to say. We have been handed some lemons and been busy mashing them into lemonade. It appears Marks (See Radioman rides the World) new 800GS 's top end took a dump. Valve guides disintegrated, due to material failure... no big deal it's under warranty, just a minor setback of a week.

Well, I was more apprehensive, about wearing out my welcome here, you know the old proverbial saying about company and fish. But was assured we're OK to stay. The generosity of Cathy and Skip are too amazing as they loaned Mark a bike to get around town with,,, We traded the R6 for something a little more practical for Radioman

You see any similarity

JUST Kidding.

Anyway we dedicated to to take in some local sights and ended up at the "Pima Aviation Museum" took in the sights for a bit

Was really pretty cool I have more pictures, I'll throw up later............maybe.

We got a call from Skip to come over and trade Mark out of the race bike to something more doable for him another 800. He then lead us on a ride up Mount Lemmon. I enjoyed this as we climbed up to 9100+ feet and was 66 degrees on top, THANK GOD! I was feeling human again. Great ride as we carved up the tarmac and basically scrubbed the tires in good

I swear living here as any place one must have time to acclimate; did I ever mention it's hot here

there's just a little of the road we came up behind me.

Mark and Skip

Then he took us off the opposite side onto a gravely/sandy road... WooHoo we had fun on this 30+ mile section, I didn't know where I was going but had a dang good time

Thanks Skip I'm wore out slept like a log.

Let's see what the next day brings.

Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 09-29-2011 at 11:30 AM
Old 09-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #64
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
I am recently retired and albeit on a finite monetary stream, life is good.

So the real trick is can I do this on $40 USD a day? if not my stay may be shorter.

I roll out Thursday Morning to rendezvous with "Radioman" in Tucson on Saturday.

Let it begin.
Sam

Glad you are getting a chance to really enjoy life. Make the most of this trip. You have a great riding partner. Since my "retirement," I ask myself nearly every day as I go to work if we could live comfortably on just my pension alone and if working my current job really is worth it. Am glad for you that you could quit working and really enjoy retirement. Hope in the near future to be in a position that I can quit working once and for all and have more time to do some of the things we would like to do. (That health insurance thing keeps getting in the way)

Will be following your thread along with following Radioman's thread. (now I have two threads to keep up on)

Have a good trip and hope we can get together with you after you return and hear about it.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #65
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650x View Post
Sam

Glad you are getting a chance to really enjoy life. Make the most of this trip. You have a great riding partner. Since my "retirement," I ask myself nearly every day as I go to work if we could live comfortably on just my pension alone and if working my current job really is worth it. Am glad for you that you could quit working and really enjoy retirement. Hope in the near future to be in a position that I can quit working once and for all and have more time to do some of the things we would like to do. (That health insurance thing keeps getting in the way)

Will be following your thread along with following Radioman's thread. (now I have two threads to keep up on)

Have a good trip and hope we can get together with you after you return and hear about it.

Hi there Allen. Well right now we are just hoping BMW gets on the ball to get Radioman back on the road. I must say the local dealership is doing the best they can, it appears to be the bureaucracy of the corporate beast but am very optimistic soon.we are moving.

Now, about that retirement thing, yes, it is a good feeling and am doing something I have dreamed of doing for a very long time, and with that said, when is enough, enough? I am lucky to have Great medical insurance so that was the great compensator.

I don't think I could have gotten a better riding partner, as we both share many attributes. My major job is to keep him slowed down and his to keep me moving.

Finally since it's cooling down you'll have time to follow along. We'll try to keep it entertaining.

HOLD THE PRESS!!!! As I typed this Mark received a phone call from the dealership informing him BMW is sending in an entire new motor, should be here early next week Looks like BMW is doing him right, the man has good Karma..

Aldous Huxley
Old 09-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #66
dutchjohn
Adventure Touring

Oddometer: 287
Hey Sam

Hi Sam , dutchjohn here, I rode up to the club ride, from Utah and rode with you around Cascade.
I had a great time on that trip. I am so happy for you making this trip south. I will follow this thread
to see how you are doing. as I recall you had a SPOT, do you have tracking turned on?
I would love to see that page.
MAY YOUR TRIP BE ALL THAT YOU WANT AND I HOPE YOU FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR
GOD BLESS dutchjohn
dutchjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #67
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchjohn View Post
Hi Sam , dutchjohn here, I rode up to the club ride, from Utah and rode with you around Cascade.
I had a great time on that trip. I am so happy for you making this trip south. I will follow this thread
to see how you are doing. as I recall you had a SPOT, do you have tracking turned on?
I would love to see that page.
MAY YOUR TRIP BE ALL THAT YOU WANT AND I HOPE YOU FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR
GOD BLESS dutchjohn

Hi John, how could I not remember you, that Dutch Oven dump cake was awesome. and sharing your food on the trail. I'm glad you had a good time, that's what it's all about.

I do have a spot, but I don't have tracking, but I do hit my OK button mid day and end of the day. Here's a link to my spot if you want to dollow along.

Where's Idahosam?

Currently sitting in Tucson waiting for RAdiomans bike to be resurrected. I am getting antsy and ready to get moving.

Stay tuned Thanks for following along, and thank you for the prayer.

Aldous Huxley
Old 10-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #68
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Currently sitting in Tucson waiting for RAdiomans bike to be resurrected. I am getting antsy and ready to get moving.
I'd be chilling in Creel, at 8000 ft. and cool. This is where we stay ... it's on the West end of town at the Divisadero turn off. Fantastic, cheap and quiet.

Maybe do a ride down to Batopilas? That F800GS could take a month or more to be rebuilt. Latest I hear is BMW are not stocking many engine parts in the USA. 3 to 4 week waits common. If I were him ... I'd leave the 800GS with BMW, buy a nice 2nd hand KLR, KTM, DR650, Vstrom or whatever ... and get riding. Life is too short to be burning money in hotels, hoping against hope BMW will get their act together ... ain't gonna happen.

Best of luck whatever you end up doing.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #69
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #70
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,777
I'll be real surprised if BMW gets you guys going anytime soon. But, arizona is nice.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #71
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I'd be chilling in Creel, at 8000 ft. and cool. This is where we stay ... it's on the West end of town at the Divisadero turn off. Fantastic, cheap and quiet.

Maybe do a ride down to Batopilas? That F800GS could take a month or more to be rebuilt. Latest I hear is BMW are not stocking many engine parts in the USA. 3 to 4 week waits common. If I were him ... I'd leave the 800GS with BMW, buy a nice 2nd hand KLR, KTM, DR650, Vstrom or whatever ... and get riding. Life is too short to be burning money in hotels, hoping against hope BMW will get their act together ... ain't gonna happen.

Best of luck whatever you end up doing.

First off, thanks for the picture of that awesome place; whats the name of it? Second, I am having faith BMW does this right. We were told Friday everything is approved for a new engine to be expedited. So depending on what we hear Tuesday as to my status. We are in a good place here in Tucson as luck would have it Radioman's brother lives just out of town so no hotel costs and we cook at his place too.

Finally, I hedging that we get on the road before the end of next week But than again I'm an optimist.

Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 11:13 PM
Old 10-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #72
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Morning all, well we managed to kill Sunday so instead of rewriting it all............... with Radioman's permission a little cut-n-paste of Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Here we are in Tucson. Waiting for the major bike repair is hard. We wanted to be riding in Mexico by now, but we are stuck here. We are making the most of the time, but still not like being on the road. For me it is a bit easier for me, as my bike is the one broken and in the shop. Sam is stuck because I am, and is gracefully waiting.

We decided to do a bit of site seeing, and History.

Had some requirements of the Missile tour.

Sam is all set

Hard Hat for me.....

Diagrams of the Titan II Missile Site.

An then getting to see the last remaining Titan II Missile. There were 54 pointed at Strategic Targets during the cold war 1963-1982.

The tour guide giving us the information on the 6,000 Lb Blast doors.

Into the control room....

Had to have the secret launch codes.

Launch sequence.

Then the Targets. The Crew had three choices, but did not know where they were headed.

The entire Command center for the Titan II missile. Crew of 4 at any given time, with lots of controls for safety. Fortunately these were never used and the policy of Deterrence worked.

Sam heading over to see the Missile.

Missile waiting for launch.

Topside not much to see from the road. They were stationed in Arizona, Arkansas, Kansas

On the way back we made a quick stop San Xavier Mission

Sam enjoying the architecture and history of the mission.

Back to my brothers. Waiting, eating sipping Coffee and
Tomorrow the Dealership is open... Cross your fingers.

Well, here's a few of my shots from our outing

Crew had to wear these suits when refueling, or die.

The walk to the missile from the control room.

As a Tid bit of information this missile and silo were used in the making of Star Trek's "First Contact"

On the way back to Tucson we went to investigate this mission we saw from the freeway.

An Afternoon thunder boomer was rolling in so we took off.

Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 12:10 PM
Old 10-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #73
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,965
Sam has been waiting patiently for my bike to be repaired. I feel bad, but it is part of this journey.

Sam

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #74
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Still waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Sam has been waiting patiently for my bike to be repaired. I feel bad, but it is part of this journey.

Sam
Glad you guys are still in good spirits. The waiting game gets old after a day or two. Good on you, but what are the options. Buy another bike? Well, maybe not.

The winter rains have hit Oregon, so dug out my winter riding suit and thinking of the winter windscreen too. Talked with my local machinist/fabricator who rides too, and he thought we could come up with some rolled aluminum spray shields for the highway pegs. Gotta keep my feet dry during that 40 mile rainy commute.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #75
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Hi All, well we are going to stand down for now. As someone has brought to our attention... the engine is indeed going to be replaced, but not for awhile, some 10 days out, as it is inbound from Germany and must still clear customs and other assorted post 9/11 stuff Now I know some of you may think I could just take off on my own, and that thought did cross my mind, but This is an adventure we want to and had agreed to share together. I have no real time line No hurries, no worries attitude. We will just delay until 20 October for our launch; after all the weather will be even better.

Aldous Huxley