Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #76
apessino OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Good analysis from Kevin Ash, who calls it the "most radical engine seen in any production motorcycle:"

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/du...anigale-engine

I'll be going to see the dealer next week - time to put that ol' John Hancock on a deposit check...
Old 10-11-2011, 02:58 AM   #77
Turder
Throttle engineer

Oddometer: 464
Lots of cool engineering things on the engine, like the de-compressor for starting the engine. Ducati says the major service interval is 24 000km or 15 000miles. Just wondering what that might include...?
Turder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:23 AM   #78
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turder View Post
Lots of cool engineering things on the engine, like the de-compressor for starting the engine. Ducati says the major service interval is 24 000km or 15 000miles. Just wondering what that might include...?
It is probably just an oil change and valve clearance check, plus sync throttle bodies, change coolant and hydraulic fluids, etc.

Tho I will be waiting to see how well the cam chains and tensioner blocks endure.

The remarkable thing is, that with the ultra-short stroke, high output and plain bearings, we can reasonably expect it will outlast the present generation of Superbike engines and be cheaper to run.

Plus I notice from the press guff posted here at Ducati News Today that there is a secondary burn system that cleans up unburnt hydrocarbons as they enter the exhaust header. That could mean that finally, these things can be fuelled rich enough to run smoothly around town (while still meeting emission limits).
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:31 AM   #79
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,489
I've only ever ridden 2 Duke's. A 916S - which was great, and the Diavel - which was spot on (fueling wise), so i hope this magnificent motor won't be a dog at normal speeds.
No word on price?
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #80
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 974
Price..mmm yea...
If the base Diavel is $17,000ish..then this beast will soar past that. Shame to, once you have a toe over the $19,999 line it really separates the buyers (at least with bikes). That said, they sold the Diavel's and Multi's without any trouble.
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #81
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Price..mmm yea...
If the base Diavel is $17,000ish..then this beast will soar past that. Shame to, once you have a toe over the $19,999 line it really separates the buyers (at least with bikes). That said, they sold the Diavel's and Multi's without any trouble.
Gary
I predict it will have an MSRP $1k higher than the standard 1198 has.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #82
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-lust View Post
Instead of the still WSB winning Trellis frame Ducati uses the new "frameless" design that even the greatest rider off all times ( Rossi ) can't ride...
Big marketing problem that could be a costly mistake if Rossi heads out with an old Trellis frame next year in MotoGP...
Because real Ducatisti hang on to tradition (Desmo) and also want to be as close to the stuff they race and actually win races with.
1st...Bayliss beat his best time ever at Mugello (I think, maybe Monza) by 2 seconds while testing the 1199.

2nd...The GP bike is a world of difference from the WSBK or street bike, in very large part due to the Bridgestone tires and their very hard carcass. Nevermind the motor bore and configuration, and the GP riding style). The difficulties with the frameless design probably won't be seen on the 1199. Bayliss' testing lap times seem to back this up.

3rd...a trellis is not coming back to MotoGP. If anything it will be a twin spar aluminum frame like the Japanese all use, or an aluminum frameless design. The trellis GP bike was a POS as well, with only Stoner being consistently fast on it. Bayliss was largely unsuccessful except for his one wild card ride win in 2006, and Capirossi only had moments of success. No one else could ride it, and there were some good riders trying. Lesson...stop looking at GP bikes when considering WSBK or street bikes, as they're a world apart.

4th...If it fails in WSBK there will be a problem. Real Ducatisti recognize that GP bikes aren't what they buy and are essentially testing platforms.
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #83
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 974
JJGeo,
You are waiting your breath with that troll. He is on every new bike thread with the same drivel.
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill

Gas Hog screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 05:06 AM
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #84
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
JJGeo,
You are waiting your breath with that troll. He is on every new bike thread with the same drivel.
Gary
I know...moment of weakness.
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #85
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
JJGeo,
Gary

Seriously. Can we get a 'generally unpopular members will be banned' clause added to the rules?
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #86
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
Geo what you said is true except that Bayliss was 2 seconds faster on the 1199 than on his WSB racebike...
If that would have been the case they would have been back in WSB instantly with a factory team running the 1199 instead of letting Checa take the title on basically a 5 year old machine...
Not good for marketing especially where Rossi failed so badly on essentially the same frame design that will grace their new 1199 superbike.
The only difference being for co$t rea$on$ made from aluminum instead of carbon fibre...
They have a big marketing problem here especially a company that boasts itself to market race-technology when the stuff doesn't work.
And a twin making more than 90 hp from a single 600cc cylinder is impressive but again for how long until co$tly rebuild$ are due ?
Also a bike that light and hugely torquey won't be necessaryly fast on the track because the front will spend most of it's time in the air...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #87
NJjeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Hp chart

I'm no engine expert, nor do I play one on TV so school me if i'm wrong.

But if were talking units of Hp and Ft/lb in the posted chart, why don't the lines cross at 5252 rpm. (provided the horizontal axis is RPM)
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #88
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff View Post
I'm no engine expert, nor do I play one on TV so school me if i'm wrong.

But if were talking units of Hp and Ft/lb in the posted chart, why don't the lines cross at 5252 rpm. (provided the horizontal axis is RPM)
Y'know, I had wondered that myself.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #89
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
Jeff I can't give you an answer either but what I see on the dyno graph is that the elastic band of this build to the max engine is very narrow...
Only 2000 rpm wide from 8500 to 10500 rpm between the torque peak and hp peak.
That is the unfortunate byproduct of those engines cammy engines build to maximise hp.
Less peaky engines with lower hp numbers but wider torque band are generally more fun to ride in the real world but we'll see.
Like the old french saying;the more things change the more they stay the same..
But the Ducatisti won't care looking at their new bikes and high number dyno sheets over a glass of Chianti...
As long as Checa wins who cares if the chicken-strips on that shiney Pirelli 200 are an inch wide as long as it makes 195hp on paper...
50 hp more than Carl Fogarty's WSB winning racebike from over 10 years ago !
Mike Hailwood did an almost 120mph average and won the TT on a Ducati despite making only a lousy 75hp 30 years ago...to put things into perspective.
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #90
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,509
Agreed - I'm really wondering about the streetability of this engine. Looks great for the HP/Torque numbers, but the torque curve it what worries me; it's not suitable for my riding.