User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

Oddometer: 134
Wyoming HOT- LAP - October 2011

I will be running live from the trail with daily updates when our wheels are rolling Oct. 1 2011

In the past there have been some ADV ride reports that have shown some beautiful sections of Wyoming. The colors and desolate land never fails to inspire. We have ridden the CDT and the Western TAT, and they each have their own personality and offer plenty of adventure! But Wyoming, with its wide open spaces, small population and multiple mountain ranges has continued to draw our interest. As a result we are going to loop the entire state, hitting many of the cool routes we have read about, and few we haven't. So a big thank you to all of the ADV'ers out there breaking trail, we hope to do the same for you.

Like all multi-day rides, coordinating a 2,200 mile 8 day ADV ride around the state of Wyoming with four guys who are married with kids can be a challenge. So after considering all of our family summer programs, our group has managed to push this adventure ride back to the edge of winter.

Kids back in school, check. Jobs still secure, check. Bikes dialed in, check. Stock market crashing again, check. Weather turned to crap, check. Wifes all pissed off again, check. The more things change...

This 8 day rally around Wyoming will actually launch in Butte, MT, and send us spiraling clockwise around the state. Our last night on the trail will put us near Jackson Hole, WY. and I am looking forward to leaving some tracks in this sleepy little town.

All four riders will be riding their favorite version of KTM. I am not really sure how we all have ended up with the Orange Sickness, but the fever is under control for now. Cast of characters, gps routes and machine introductions coming soon.

Catastrophic Failure screwed with this post 09-23-2011 at 10:16 PM Reason: spell check
Catastrophic Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

A good riding friend always reminds me that if I take care of my machine, it will take care of me. So I hit the maintenence schedule and turn wrenches when needed. Still, often times when I am railing down a route, I have a little voice in the back of my head that keeps gently whispering sweet nothings to my bike. "C'mon babe, we can do this" - "Easy now, lets just get you through the day, and I promise not to push you as hard again tomorrow"... She is a silver and black rock steady 2003 640, and the OD reads just over 26,000 miles. But because of these high hard miles, I am never sure if I should cheer for joy over the sheer volume of quality hours in the saddle, or if I should quietly keep my head down and just grab one gear at a time.

Paul is also riding a 640. A bit newer with fewer miles than mine, but we get to share parts when someone busts up. I've ridden several multi-day rides with him, and he is always smooth on the power and solid with control. To put in back to back to back to back 250 mile days, a group has to have confidence in each other, and I never worry about Paul riding sweep on these long distance rides. Plus, this guy really knows how to help me pick up my dang bike, he's had lots of practice.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

Mike had to make a difficult choice for this ride, deciding which bike to take. As it ends up, he chose the 990 Aventure with its upgraded Leo Vince exhaust. What a beast! Mike primarily runs up front and sets a consistent pace. This guy is a true motorcylce rider to the very core. He actually plans his every waking move around the following; family, motorcycling, work, motorcycling, friends, motorcycling, drinks, motorcycling, politics, motorcycling, entertaining, motorcycling! You get the idea... Thanks again Lead Dog for all of the heavy lifting done regarding mapping/planning etc...!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

OK, we have the big 990 beast covered. We have the mid-sized versatile 640's running in a pair. Our fourth rider, Eric, has decided to run his 450 EXC. So we now have our Scout machine for this run. This will be the rider who runs up single track, over unmarked trail and down through the Wyoming valleys picking out the really good stuff! Eric has upgraded from the stock 2.3 to the 6.3 gallon Acerbis, giving him a range of about 250 miles... running on fumes. Thank you Mr. Richard Ro for your generous contribution to this effort! Every ADV rider knows there is a balance between weight and size of bike, and they must guage the route and along with their abilities. Eric is a skilled rider who has picked a highly capable machine that will cover ANYTHING

Catastrophic Failure screwed with this post 09-23-2011 at 11:05 AM Reason: spell checker
Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
outfront
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Wyoming Hot Lap

I rode the TAT with these guys last Summer, couldn't ask for a better group.
BTW where is rider four???
Good luck guys, I'll be following along.

Mike

2012 990R
06 KTM 525 EXC
outfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

These ride reports are a cool way to take family and friends along for the adventure, but there is a ton of material lost in translation. So while I enjoy documenting these rides, in the not too distant future I hope to bring at least one of my three sons along on a multi-day ride. We do ride dirt bikes on single track usually looping on local trails, and occasionally running up into the Cascade Mountains to find fresh dirt, but the ADV ride is a goal. This young fella has been a great help to me in preparing the bike. He has turned wrenches, pulled wires, replaced brake pads and generally been a great mechanic over the past months. Thanks Matt!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
cmreimer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I'm in!

Can't wait to get this party started. Two days to go and it seems like an eternity.
Let's gooooooo!

'09 950 SE
'12 500 EXC
'13 690 Enduro
cmreimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Sounds like a great trip, with a variety of bike sizes. Looking forward to your report. Do you have a route planned you can post?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

Day One

Started the day in Butte MT, and met up with Matt Kesul. He and his wife own and operate Two Wheelz in downtown. Matt told us that this past summer he saw more ADV riders running up the Continental Divide than ever before. He mentioned riders coming in from all points in the USA and several groups from Germany and Europe. Thanks to Matt for the equipment and route advice, sorry the wife wouldn't let you join us for the day.

We then ran the machines up Herman Gulch which is on the Continental Divide Trail. This section is a tight little quad track that demands your immediate attention on a large dual sport bike. We ran into some some crossing bars, and after searching for alernate routes we looped it around to higher ground.

Rolling into Twin Bridges.

We rolled to Twin Bridges for lunch and realized we still had over 150 miles of trail to get to West Yellowstone. Time to quit eating and start riding. Well the ADV Witch reached up and tried to end the day early. She broke out her cable cutters and severed a throttle cable on one of the 640's. The wind was gusting 25 - 35 MPH which made repairs a dusty event. But thanks to some innovative mechanical work on the trail, we were rolling in about an hour. We switched the return cable to the pull cable, and tweaked the throttle tube end so it wouldn't jam. This required several attempts at success, and will need a full replacement soon. Hope to locate a new setup in Casper,WY. Here is Mike taking a break from the wind while the cable repair proceeds.

Once we got going again, we covered the miles quickly. Rolling up into the Gravelly Range presented far reaching views of this beautiful country. If you get a chance to ride this route, give yourself some time to enjoy riding at 8 to 9000 feet with views of Forever!

Great Views and Great Riding here.

Ended up in West Yellowstone at 8 PM. Ya, it gets dark at 7 PM.

More adventure coming.

Catastrophic Failure screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 07:45 AM Reason: spell check
Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

We rolled through Yellowstone and made a quick pit stop at the Lodge. The Lodge was built in 1903, and was constructed out of materials all from within the park.

This big boy was just strolling along the road. He seemed to pause when we passed, I think he liked the orange bikes

Old Faithful in the background.

We rolled towards Cody, riding through rain showers for most of the morning. To get there we rode through the Yellowstone Valley, which is a beautiful area with many high points.

We ate at the famous Silver Dollar Bar in Cody. Cody WY is the Rodeo capital of the world, and most of the town supports that statement!

I asked my Bud to watch the bikes while we ate burgers and planned our afternoon route.

After lunch the riding got fast and smooth. We rolled through some nice gravel roads and some hard packed two track on our way to Greybull WY.

Catastrophic Failure screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 05:37 PM
Old 10-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Hughmoris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Thanks for the great report. Its always been a dream of mine to move away from Florida to Wyoming, so I'll be living vicariously through you.
Hughmoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

Day three started with a climb from 4000' up out of Greybull into the Big Horn Mountains. We ran up Shell Canyon and got on the dirt at the 17 Road, finally topped out at 9500' with the weather sunny and warming up quickly.

Coming down from 9500' we rolled down through Medicine Lodge Canyon. It was really more of a quad track with ruts and steep stuff for the big bikes.

One front flat in Ten Sleep, which proved to be a bear of a fix. Sometimes they go quick, and sometimes not... The temperature today averaged around 85 degrees. Hot when you were sitting, and just right when moving

Checking the forcast for the rest of the route, it shows much cooler temps. with the chance of snow above 4000' We will see....

We rolled through some very cool, very fast high routes on Hazelton Road and Kidd Flat.

We quickly moved onto 33 Mile Road and ran up Red Wall running a consistent 50 to 60 MPH. The veiws were big!

We pounded slab the last 40 miles into Casper WY. Now I know why so many people name their children after towns in Wyoming
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
chelo5sur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
thanks for share with us
I really love pictures

Chelo
chelo5sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #14
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

I can sure shoot you a route plan via PM. We are watching the weather and may make some route changes. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorton1 View Post
Sounds like a great trip, with a variety of bike sizes. Looking forward to your report. Do you have a route planned you can post?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
Catastrophic Failure OP
Catastrophic Failure

Paul completed the throttle cable repair today with a new one. The second time is always easier than the first repair, on the trail

This is why we use pre filters. This air box was spotless two days ago... really

Daily ride report coming in a few minutes. It was another spectacular day in Wyoming