Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #46
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
well, the us could stop supplying guns to the narcos, the us could stop buying drugs, for starters.
But then they would only have the growing mexican home market to service.
So my answer isn't much of an answer after all. This is the second time i thought i had all the answers and i don't.
If i can admit that, maybe us and mexican politicians can do the same.
+1

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #47
jordan325ic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
That is a really strange story... not sure what to think...

Who are you that they would send 6 vehicles to capture you in a high speed pursuit? You have a few million back at home or something?

I was thinking they must be cops, but then you didn't get any trouble from the checkpoint.

Seems a bit of overkill on the manpower for just a random road plucking. And if it was a preplanned thing why didn't they just get you out of your hotel room the night before? Very strange.

Anyway, glad you made it safe!
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #48
2aroundtheworld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Dude, if this is all for real, it's pretty insane.

But I must say that I am also a bit surprised by this whole story, seems like there are a couple things that don't add up.

I can't imagine why a entire cartel with 6 cars will be chasing you all the way to the border for over 100 miles...and also how so many people could have pointed guns at you and not fired any shot? I would think that 20 guys with AR15 could probably get you easily if they really wanted to...

in any case, very glad you made it safely home.

2aroundtheworld screwed with this post 09-28-2011 at 08:36 PM
2aroundtheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #49
catfishingguide OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
i have wondered my self i guess dead we had no value .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2aroundtheworld View Post
Dude, if this is all for real, it's pretty insane.

But I must say that I am also a bit surprised by this whole story, seems like there are a couple things that don't add up.

I can't imagine why a entire cartel with 6 cars will be chasing you all the way to the border for over 100 miles...and also how so many people could have pointed guns at you and not fired any shot? I would think that 20 guys with AR15 could probably get you easily if they really wanted to...

in any case, very glad you made it safely home.
catfishingguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #50
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Well, the US could stop supplying guns to the narcos, the US could stop buying drugs, for starters.
But then they would only have the growing Mexican home market to service.
So my answer isn't much of an answer after all. This is the second time I thought I had all the answers and I don't.
If I can admit that, maybe US and Mexican politicians can do the same.
It always rubs me wrong when I hear Mexican politicians blaming the US for Mexico's problems. Like after those 52 people were killed in Monterrey, Calderon spent half of his speech blaming the US for drug consumption and arms. The next day they come to find out it was nothing but a case of good old fashion Mexican extortion and corruption. These gruesome killings in the news are not about trafficking drugs to the US, they are about establishing exclusive rights to rob, extort, kidnap and sell drugs to the local people of the cities and towns of Mexico.

Gringos generally get treated good by the Mexican people but the Mexican politicians like to beat on the US like a pinata! They must think it gets them some political traction, but doesn't work if everyone sees it for the red herring that it is.

That is my 2 centavos. I know some Mexicans get passionate on the opposite side about this issue but I just call it like I see it.

Catfish, sorry you got chased, it sounds like a not too cool adventure. It's curious that they all pointed guns but no one shot. Likely they didn't want to shoot your GF because she is a woman? Maybe they were Caballeros, real gentleman! Who knows what a bunch of coked up criminal a-holes are thinking. The state of Tamualipas seems like a lost civilization!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:56 AM   #51
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,789
You are right, the Mexican politicians always do one of two things to gain political traction.
They either bash the US or they fire the national soccer team coach.
All smoke and mirrors and sabre rattling drama nonsense. However, there is absolutely no denying that the "Fast and Furious" debacle contributed to the problem. Corruption exists on both sides of the fence, it is simply more open in Mexico. Like I said, I admit I don't have the answers, and the politicians should do the same. Once everyone is on a level playing field of admitting they are clueless, a plan could be developed. However, it is always egos and false pride and politics that get in the way of resolving anything. It never ceases to amaze me how adept and skilled average people in Mexico are at solving their own problems, but the moment some politician gets involved the whole thing goes pear shaped pretty damn quick. Take a look at how Mexican citizens and corporations banded together to get aid to victims of Hurricanes Paulina in Acapulco and Stan in Tapachula, and then have the semi-trucks loaded with desperately needed supplies sit idling on highways on the outskirts until some politicians would decide to let them pass. And how aid suddenly gets dumped into bags carrying political party logos or shows up for sale in some tianguis flea market.

Again, I don't have the answers but I can sure as hell see the problems and the ineptness that created them.
There is a cold front forecast to be moving through this weekend which will mean I will likely get an extra 100kms in on the riding as I won't be sweating my hiney off. In the absence of any good news regarding the violence here, that is a welcome thought! It's time I went to the top of the Cofre de Perote and take a good look around from the top down and see if I can find any answers there. Elevation, elation, and lack of perspiration are curative.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #52
Andres A
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
well, the us could stop supplying guns to the narcos, the us could stop buying drugs, for starters.
But then they would only have the growing mexican home market to service.
So my answer isn't much of an answer after all. This is the second time i thought i had all the answers and i don't.
If i can admit that, maybe us and mexican politicians can do the same.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #53
Andres A
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
The state of Tamualipas seems like a lost civilization!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #54
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres A View Post
So is it true or what? We have areas here in Durango that are completely lost too. No law, no justice, no functioning government. The people just watch their own asses, and hope for the best!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #55
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
No law, no justice, no functioning government.
I can't imagine what it would be like living in Mexico with law, justice, and a functioning government.
It would probably be like Utah, but with better music, food, and women.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #56
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,893
Quote:
I can't imagine what it would be like living in Mexico with law, justice, and a functioning government.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #57
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,143
As the surrealism of what I was reading set in I figured I’d see a smiley at some point as the joke was revealed so when I got to the end without such a revelation I had to make sure it wasn’t April 1st. This is very very strange.

Clearly they did not want to kill the OP. So, they wanted to catch him alive and the only thing that I can think of is a kidnapping. However, spending all those resources (labor, gas for ½ dozen vehicles over quite a few miles, opportunity cost) and exposing themselves to a deadly confrontation with the military on a random motorcyclist seems odd. Someone I know with a ranch in the area tells me a fellow ranch owner got kidnapped and taken for ¼ mil but they knew exactly who he was, they quietly stuck a gun to his back outside a convenience store(He was carrying).

Maybe the crime thing was slow that day so the bad guys decided to take their chances on a random kidnapping and as the OP did not stop they got increasingly incensed and started pouring resources into the task. These guys are, after all, macho types with big egos. However, given the egos I would think that at some point one of them would have just shot the OP and his GF out of spite and called it a day.

The other thing that seems interesting is the chase itself. The OP is clearly on the highly skilled side of the riding skill bell curve and I suppose the adrenaline helped. I consider myself of ordinary skill and cannot picture myself successfully running such a gauntlet. Changing directions quickly at speed is not easy and that he was able to switch from going around one side of a vehicle to the other as the bad guy tried to block him is astounding. Taking to a ditch at speed on a GS is another thing that is way over my head. Being familiar with the area it is miraculous that a person could carry any kind of significant speed without crashing as he got closer to Reynosa and certainly once in the populated area. I’m virtually 100% certain I would have gone down/wrecked.

I suppose it might have been police trying to stop him but I think the police at some point would have had several marked patrol units with lights on the chase and, for sure, stopped him at the bridge. Being familiar with bridge crossings around here it is astonishing that the OP was able to run it.

In summary, all I can say is
Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #58
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,209
It has come to my attention that this is, perhaps, the work of fantasy. Does anyone personally know the OP? Can anyone vouche for his being a real person, with real experience in Mexico, with a real girlfriend, with a real GSA?

I've been asked to consider if the OP is also Mustacheman... maybe a mod can do a quick check using their magic skilz.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #59
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
+1 Agreed!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #60
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
It has come to my attention that this is, perhaps, the work of fantasy. Does anyone personally know the OP? Can anyone vouche for his being a real person, with real experience in Mexico, with a real girlfriend, with a real GSA?

I've been asked to consider if the OP is also Mustacheman... maybe a mod can do a quick check using their magic skilz.
I saw this post also from a few days ago.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=3

I don't think it would make sense if it as a hoax.