Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #61
2aroundtheworld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I think the OP may have read this post on Jalopnik and got inspired...

http://jalopnik.com/5843759/the-ten-...rums/gallery/1
2aroundtheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #62
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
Are you serious?????

The jokes on me, I guess.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #63
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,457
Blackspanker's a Wanker

Mexico threads......washing machines......all the same........

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 09-29-2011 at 11:12 AM
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #64
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Never heard of anything like this happening............anywhere. Good story though, I'll give him a A for effort.

Hey, but I got chased by drunk idiots in an F-250 in Guanajuato. Roosted the shit out of his windshield couple times. I'd let him get close, then pin the throttle. Bastard pissed me off by running me off the road and airborne over a ditch after he signaled me to pass him. A bit of advice. Never try to chase a KTM 990 down a dirt road, its not healthy for your windshield.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #65
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
Anthony and his girlfriend came to the Latin America rally in Sipapu this year and headed down to Mexico after the rally was over. He is real

This sounds amazing that no one ever fired a shot.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #66
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Only took 46 posts for someone to blame the US for this rider's misadventure!

I was waiting for the blame America First crew to show up. You know, the guys who read about decapitated bodies and innocent civilians being tortured, cut to pieces and hung from overpasses then start conversations about "ricos tacos" and "las playas" instead of addressing the original issue.

In this case, a rider was chased by gun-toting thugs and it's "America's fault" again.

Sheesh...

Anyhow, I'm glad you're OK and I did appreciate the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Well, the US could stop supplying guns to the narcos, the US could stop buying drugs, for starters.
But then they would only have the growing Mexican home market to service.
So my answer isn't much of an answer after all. This is the second time I thought I had all the answers and I don't.
If I can admit that, maybe US and Mexican politicians can do the same.

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #67
Axel White
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 350
Problems in Durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
So is it true or what? We have areas here in Durango that are completely lost too. No law, no justice, no functioning government. The people just watch their own asses, and hope for the best!
Hola SR,

You mention that things are pretty bad in sections of Durango. I am coming in from Hidalgo de Parral for the rally. Hear anything about any problems up in that direction? Three weeks ago I came through Durango from Mazatlan and continued up north in the car using the cuota roads via Torreon, Jimenez, etc with no problems at all.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #68
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post

I was waiting for the blame America First crew to show up. You know, the guys who read about decapitated bodies and innocent civilians being tortured, cut to pieces and hung from overpasses then start conversations about "ricos tacos" and "las playas" instead of addressing the original issue.

In this case, a rider was chased by gun-toting thugs and it's "America's fault" again.

Sheesh...

Haha! you aren't the only one, I've been sitting here waiting for the guy to be called a liar, a fake and so on. It did take awhile. The "Is Mexico Safe" thread Pro Mexico Trolls finally did find their way over here, only took a couple posts then to do the deed and declare everything b.s. And who knows, is it real?? But even if it's true, they will always call the guy a liar.

Somebody posted this as proof of??: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...TR3O1KLPOQ.DTL

So as a counter point I'll post this: http://www.borderlandbeat.com/

Take your pick from all the wonderful stuff to inspire you to go down there. Even the pro-Mex article says only to fly in and don't drive down. Then when you get there, stay in certain areas so you can be surrounded by Mex Police and troops to protect you, haha. Even the picture on that travel page shows tourists having a swell time on the beach with Police with automatic weapons standing there to protect them. Gee whiz, I feel like running down there right now!! not

Trolls everywhere.....................................:lo l3
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #69
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
After reading this entire thread, not sure if it is a hoax. But I would say the guys writing, punctuation, spelling and grammar make it so. Most GSA owners have some education and could write a decent story. Then again, I could be mistaken.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #70
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post
Haha! you aren't the only one, I've been sitting here waiting for the guy to be called a liar, a fake and so on. It did take awhile. The "Is Mexico Safe" thread Pro Mexico Trolls finally did find their way over here, only took a couple posts then to do the deed and declare everything b.s. And who knows, is it real?? But even if it's true, they will always call the guy a liar.

Somebody posted this as proof of??: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...TR3O1KLPOQ.DTL

So as a counter point I'll post this: http://www.borderlandbeat.com/

Take your pick from all the wonderful stuff to inspire you to go down there. Even the pro-Mex article says only to fly in and don't drive down. Then when you get there, stay in certain areas so you can be surrounded by Mex Police and troops to protect you, haha. Even the picture on that travel page shows tourists having a swell time on the beach with Police with automatic weapons standing there to protect them. Gee whiz, I feel like running down there right now!! not

Trolls everywhere.....................................:lo l3
Just one more point Mexico has in her favor.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #71
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Just one more point Mexico has in her favor.
Until they clean the place up, they can starve to death on that crap losing out on the tourist bucks. It's Mexicans killing Mexicans, plain and simple. Many other countries including the U.S. have been in this same situation before, it takes time, but it will get better. It's just pathetic how some people try to say it ain't so, but it is. Here's a good info source, is this all lies too? http://www.borderlandbeat.com/

Pathetic...................
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #72
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel White View Post
Hola SR,

You mention that things are pretty bad in sections of Durango. I am coming in from Hidalgo de Parral for the rally. Hear anything about any problems up in that direction? Three weeks ago I came through Durango from Mazatlan and continued up north in the car using the cuota roads via Torreon, Jimenez, etc with no problems at all.

Thanks.
I think you will be fine on your route.

Right now the part of Durango that's bad is the eastern side of the state that borders with Zacatecas. The road from Dgo city to Torreon is fine but the road from Torreon to Fresnillo has been very bad for the last year or two. However, the Federal Police have recently been in Zacatecas and I think they are cleaning up that area up. That's a fairly important NS route through Mexico. Unfortunately the road from Durango to Fresnillo is kind of bad right now too. Currently they are trying to put together some kind of regional security program between Zac and Dgo to try to control that area. Still, hundreds of vehicles go on these stretches of road every day of the week, so unless you are driving a very high profile expensive vehicle the chances of getting jacked are slim. My personal security policy is that I will ride my MC on these roads but I don't really like to travel with my family in these areas. My KLR is only worth about $2,500. It's not exactly an expensive high profile vehicle. Even a brand new beemer doesn't come close in price to an expensive Tahoe or Suburban or heavy duty four door truck, which is the kind of vehicle they are looking for.

Of course, deep in the Sierra of NW Durango is not the safest place to be wandering around but you have to really try to get there. The guys up there are mostly concerned about their crop and not necessarily in carjacking business.

This Spring the road between DGO city and Parral got kind of bad but the Federal police came in and took care of a group of carjackers working in that area, now that highway seems to be fine. On a side note, they are working on eventually making the road from Parral to DGO a four lane highway, which will make the trip from Chihuahua to DGO much shorter and cut out Torreon, which is great. Torreon just is such a shit hole!

Everyone used to be so afraid of the DGO Mazatlan highway but in the last year or so I have only heard of a few incidents on that road and they are always at night. Definitely the semis are the most dangerous part of that road right now.

I drive from DGO to the US about twice a year, usually to San Antonio through Laredo. I can make this trip almost entirely on toll roads, which is great, especially when I am with my family. The one part of that trip that always makes me very nervous is the last 50 km coming into Tamualipas and crossing Laredo. I hear so many bad stories from Tamualipas that I am not really that surprised at what happened to the OP. Still, no big deal, if you want to avoid risk, get on the toll roads and stay on them for maybe the first 200 kms coming into Mexico and that will help a lot. Pretty much everyone with a vehicle worth stealing does it that way these days.

Looking forward to seeing you in Durango for the BMW meeting. I hope they can't smell the KLR on me. I don't have a BMW.

Saludos

SR screwed with this post 09-29-2011 at 06:55 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #73
stickfigure
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee1 View Post
What will it take for the law to put an end to this?
The end of prohibition. *Nothing* else will stop it.

Jeff
Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #74
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post

Sheesh...

Fact: The US government knowingly put thousands of weapons in the hands of Mexican cartels through operation Fast and Furious, one of which was used to kill a US Border Patrol agent inside the USA.

Fact: The primary market for the Mexican cartels is the USA.

Fact: Cartel violence has spilled over the border into the USA.

Anyone who maintains the current problem in Mexico is not a joint US/Mexican problem has their head in the sand.

As long as there is a massive and lucrative drug market in the USA, the drug cartels will exist in force in Mexico to bring the product up from the deep south as well as produce and export from Mexico. Its economics 101, and from that perspective, the USA has plenty of responsibility for the situation in Mexico and in the borderlands. If there is no market in the USA, then its Mexico's problem.

I will continue to ride my moto in Mexico no matter no matter what you guys think and I dont really give a rats ass if you ride there or not.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-29-2011 at 08:06 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #75
badcooky
I see dumb people!

Oddometer: 1,129
THE op has not used his "right of reply' SO YEA PROBABLY it's BS.
badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote