Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #91
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
And any NRA member worth his powder can tell the diff between an AK47 and an AR15. At this point the only thing I question (respectfully) is the intentions of the Mexicans.
Every once in a while the company I work for has these security experts come down and give us advice on how to keep ourselves safe in Mexico. One thing I remember them saying is that at a road block you should look from a distance for the distinctive silhouette of the Cuerno de chivo (AK-47) vs the A-ere (AR-15) and that usually the bad guys have AKs and the good guys have ARs. Certainly if they all have AKs they are bad guys, but it seems to me that a lot of times when they bust these bad guys they are carrying ARs also? So who knows?

SR screwed with this post 09-30-2011 at 05:46 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #92
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,057
When I was 18 I qualified as a marksman with what I thought was an M16, but it said AR15. It was a semi-auto/fully auto. I know that I could hit a mc with one.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #93
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
It took 62 posts to tell this guy is bullshitting. Send this thread over to Glocktalk and he would have been called a troll b-ser as the first reply and the posts after that would have set him back in his chair thinking " lookwhat I started".

Cartel would have open fired on his rear wheel and it would have lasted 2 seconds. come on guys, dont be so gullible!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #94
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
It took 62 posts to tell this guy is bullshitting. Send this thread over to Glocktalk and he would have been called a troll b-ser as the first reply and the posts after that would have set him back in his chair thinking " lookwhat I started".

Cartel would have open fired on his rear wheel and it would have lasted 2 seconds. come on guys, dont be so gullible!

So you are saying Catfish's is a liar?? Don't get me wrong, I find it a most interesting story in and of itself but I wasn't there and I don't know what really happened but I know the OP and he is a good guy and I don't think he would come up with this hair raising chase story for the pure hell of it to lie about it on the internet. Crazy things happen for no reason sometimes in Mexico and without stopping to talk with one of the gun toters with a walkie talkie we here will never know what was going on that particular day.
Even if he did lie about it does it really matter, this is the Fking internet after all and it must be taken with more than a few grains of salt but I do know I would be taking a different route if I was going that direction in the next few weeks.

Why don't you go prove it for the rest of us computer jockeys sitting in our safe little places and give us a full report here on the thread

Never heard yet of an Adventure riding getting shot or kidnapped yet while on a trip in Mexico and I'm glad he wasn't the first!

But there's always a first and I bet money it won't be myself
Old 09-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #95
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And if you say that Cat's story is true, I'll believe you. [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]I didn't say the story was true but I was saying was Catfish is real[/COLOR]

Now that you mentioned it, I remember looking forward to meeting him at the 4th LARR. [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]You missed out already Max, 4 was this year You missed a nice time and I think you might have liked Catfish, he was after all the only one bringing a woman besides Marty[/COLOR]

At this point the only thing I question (respectfully) is the intentions of the Mexicans.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]The great unknown question that everyone here would really like to know!
[/COLOR]
It is a wild story but I give him the benefit of the doubt and will be keeping out of that area in the near future but not Mexico.

Thanks Vincent! I had a nice time hanging out in Medellin with you too dude Was my favorite layover!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #96
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,057
Cartel doesn't use walkietalkies. They're open frequency. Range without a repeater is line of sight. Cops and military use them with repeaters.

The first time I rode Mexico I was SCARED. It's easy to panic.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #97
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Cartel doesn't use walkietalkies. They're open frequency. Range without a repeater is line of sight. Cops and military use them with repeaters.

The first time I rode Mexico I was SCARED. It's easy to panic.
Maybe Catfish is better knowing his guns than his walkietalkies I'm thinking

I'm sure the cartels can use just about anything they want seeing how they have fair amount of money, I'm guessing a SAT phone is not out of the ordinary for those guys
Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #98
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres A View Post
Hey SR forget about it, Is not problem for me when you talk about lost civilization, even if you are from USA, Russia, etc...

Sounds funny that's it, ademas vamos a dejar de hablar de esto por que ya se convirtio en un chisme de un chismoso!!

Te invito cuando quieras venir a Reynosa, seria un honor ser tu anfitrion, Bienvenido!!

Saludos y abrazos SR!!

+1

PS: Catfish story is pure BS!
my 12 yrs living on the border and traveling South/North Mex back/forward can not lie.

think of this seriously, if some of this guys wants to stop you for anything, even to check your ID, they will accomplish their task. NO ONE can make it if they do not want. so again, is BS.

end of this RAMBO / CHUCK NORRIS tale.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #99
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
So you are saying Catfish's is a liar?? Don't get me wrong, I find it a most interesting story in and of itself but I wasn't there and I don't know what really happened but I know the OP and he is a good guy and I don't think he would come up with this hair raising chase story for the pure hell of it to lie about it on the internet. Crazy things happen for no reason sometimes in Mexico and without stopping to talk with one of the gun toters with a walkie talkie we here will never know what was going on that particular day.
Even if he did lie about it does it really matter, this is the Fking internet after all and it must be taken with more than a few grains of salt but I do know I would be taking a different route if I was going that direction in the next few weeks.
Well you know how those fishermen are, with their stories of the one that got away. I keed, I keed.

I've come to realize that sometimes one cannot really know another person. I've had people I've known for years look at me straight in the eye and with body language exuding sincerity lie to me.

Few opinions matter and mine is certainly not one that does but while i'm wasting time on the interwebs instead of riding I'll say that I'm giving the OP some benefit of the doubt that something might have happened.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #100
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

It would be nice to have a few more riders head along the same route and see what's really happening since so many think this story is BS. You would have at least a 50/50 shot of being right

I wouldn't want to volunteer at this point
Here's my little gun story from my RR from Nov last year, there was gun showing but I didn't get shot or robbed for long, strange things happen sometimes. The guys that got me, other than the one who took off on my bike seemed like some okay guys other than the line of work they were involved in. Again I think the cartels are not in the business of killing motorcycle tourists in Mexico imho

My little episode pulled from my ride report:

Quote:
Afer I cross this set of moutains I got dropped out onto another big plain with straight roads and running some speeds got my reserve light again so I got fuel at the first place I found, a lone premex out in the open kinda seems out of place. The place looked nice enough and I wanted the fuel anyway. They all have people who pump for you and this guy did a real nice job and seemed ultra careful doing his work. Helping him find and fill the three tanks I didn't really notice that one of the fellows from a group loitering around the little store had come over and muttered something in Spanish that I didn't know but heard moto a few times and motioned like he wanted the keys just as I was finishing up with the gas attendant. All the time I was still sitting on the bike with the sidestand down. This guy was taller than me and pretty stalky and kinda of kept a vague facial expression and one of the things I noticed was some wierd looking with almost like camo design possibly Addias logo man purse. He kinda went for the keys and I didn't really stop him and then as he now had them and the attendant had gone to make change he made the motion about wanting to take it for a spin making the "gassin' the throttle gesture" and I was not really wanted to screw around I motioned for the return of the keys and he then opens his man purse enough to flash me the handle of a semi automatic pistol, 9mm size or so, my heart sank a little. Not wanting to really challenge the guy and looking around for the attendant to see if he saw what this ass is up to, I get off the bike and the guy climbs on, that God for insurance I thought. Well bigboy not too shape with bmw six-fidy's so I have to get the key in and start it for him. Thinking either A: The guy really just wants to have a ride. B: I'm going to have a hell of a claim on my mexican insurance and be afoot pretty quick. In my surprised state as I wait as the guy takes off another dude walks over from that same group of 4 of 5 guys and speaks some decent English to me. I'm like wtf, does that guy want to steal my bike or what??? Sure enough the guy just really wanted to ride my bike, becasue just about that time hotrod comes back from his lap around the premex and parks the bike and gets off. Meanwhile number two explains a little through broken English that he is Polish and lives in Mexico for a number of years and also rides motos and has a jacket kinda like mine. I start asking him what's up with his friend with the gun and ask if he's mafia or something thinking these guys are drug cartel boys. Number two being Polish and all seems like a nice enough guy and all so I give him a sticker and he's thankful. He wants to show me his jacket and goes to retreive it from the car but doesn't have it and I'm also glad he doesn't ask for mine when he returned I show them some pictures on the camera and thankfully get it back from hotrod who seems most interested in the photos. The talking with number two had totally changing the tone at this point except hotrod doesn't know any English so he's out of the loop pretty much. I got him a sticker too to try and keep him happy since he does have the gun after all. Then seeing that it had diffused a lot I wanted to get a pose picture of them with the gun or stage a bike jacking so I could post some crazy shit on here and get rise out of some person. When I mentioned this it was a quick reply of "no not possible" and I didn't press further.

It was a tense situation at the start and I was uncomfortable to say the least but after the bike came back it was mucho better. Kinda crazy how it all worked out, had I spoke the language it would have been quite different I can only imagine, I rember him asking if I was an American at one point We shaked hands and did some knuckle bumps with the two of them and then I got on the bike and took off no longer needing to piss as bad as I thought I did before pulling into that premex. Its not so bad

I took off down the road and after quite a few miles I see the same chevy malibu or something I noticed from the premex that has that black tint no viz windows come hauling up with number two Polish guy sticking his arm out the passenger window giving me the thumbs up and a big smile. I don't think I was going to get shot, hell they didn't even want any money. Little show of force I guess. True story, I would have loved those pictures.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #101
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
I call bullshit.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #102
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
I call bullshit.

Me too

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....48&postcount=5

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729296

Unread 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
troyfromtexas is offline troyfromtexas
Adventurer
Oddometer: 39

Tejas A La Tierra... La Pesca, Mexico
My first stop in Mexico was a small fishing village along the eastern coast called La Pesca (The Fish). I chose the town because it seemed like it would be a calm and peaceful place. And, it was near the ocean. It didn't disappoint. The town centered around the one road which ran through it. Along the road there were a number of restaurants, hotels and shops. At the end if the road was the playa or beach.

Here we could have a long discussion of the translation of LA PESCA which in my opinion translates as THE CATCH The FISH I would translate it as EL PEZ or THE FISH the act of fishing LA PESCA or the CATCH of fish and so on., all this based on THE ROYAL ACADEMY OF THE CASTELLANA LANGUAGE norms

but nevertheless I'm glad that a friend is safe and back in the U.S.A.

Bato screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 01:15 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #103
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....48&postcount=5

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729296

Unread 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
troyfromtexas is offline troyfromtexas
Adventurer
Oddometer: 39

Tejas A La Tierra... La Pesca, Mexico
My first stop in Mexico was a small fishing village along the eastern coast called La Pesca (The Fish). I chose the town because it seemed like it would be a calm and peaceful place. And, it was near the ocean. It didn't disappoint. The town centered around the one road which ran through it. Along the road there were a number of restaurants, hotels and shops. At the end if the road was the playa or beach.

Here we could have a long discussion of the translation of LA PESCA which in my opinion translates as THE CATCH The FISH I would translate it as EL PEZ or THE FISH the act of fishing LA PESCA or the CATCH of fish and so on., all this based on THE ROYAL ACADEMY OF THE CASTELLANA LANGUAGE norms

but nevertheless I'm glad that a friend is safe and specially back in the U.S.A.
Are you trying to say this TroyfromTexas is the same guy as the OP Catfish or are you just debating the translation of fish

I just find it an interesting story and think it is hard to conceive all that happened but I won't be driving down that route looking for answers either. Look forward to hearing the next experience from down in that area from the next traveler
Old 10-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #104
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
Quote:
Are you trying to say this TroyfromTexas is the same guy as the OP Catfish or are you just debating the translation of fish

I just find it an interesting story and think it is hard to conceive all that happened but I won't be driving down that route looking for answers either. Look forward to hearing the next experience from down in that area from the next traveler
+1
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #105
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:

What I said is that Troyfromtexas is the:
the next experience from down in that area from the next traveler
that you were waiting for ....
fixed
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote