Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
rider33 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
St1300-2012

'looks like Honda will be bringing back the ST after all:

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=6225-en

7+ gallons, 70 liters of water-tight storage, more relaxed ergo's
and a 3 yr, unlimited milage warranty with tons of dealers.
I never really got these things until I bought one. Now that
I have, I can't quite figure out why they don't sell a ton more
of them. 'What a '75 Goldwing might have evolved into had
It stayed closer to it's sporting roots and missed that turnoff
Into Vetterville.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
I don't understand Honda not doing some significant upgrades to this bike. Is it because of police sales? I had a 2003, loved a lot about the bike, but in the end, it was too heavy and too hot. If I ever bought another, it would never be a new one, as there are so many good used ones on the market.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
I have considered a used ST1300, as there are, as Bubwheat stated, so many nice used ones on the market...but one thing that has weirded me out and prevented me from making a final decision to do so is the "speed weave" that one hears about sometimes...even on the ST1300 website. Would not want to buy such a fine machine and suddenly discover I'm all over the road on it. That's probably an exaggeration, but would like to know the experience of owners with regard to this issue, as I think the ST1300 and also the 1100 are otherwise very fine motorcycles.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,907
Cool2

I've put almost 8000 miles on my '06, it had less than 2000 when I bought it. Running down the highway by myself, or with a passenger and baggage, it tracks straight and true. Most stable bike I've ever ridden on the Interstate. Not that I would ever run that fast, but "I've heard tell" they are just as stable at 100mph and higher. It is heavy, but when I'm on it I don't feel the weight. CG seems pretty low and it's well balanced. I have 1 of those little good luck bells that was given to me hanging from the bottom of my exhaust, that sucker's half gone now

I rode a friends '06 before I bought mine, and didn't feel comfortable on it at high speeds. After doing some work on the forks, replacing an axle spacer / seal that was installed incorrectly and finishing off with a new set of Road 2's, it felt as good as mine. I think he's got 40k on his.

If someone said their bike had a death weave, I'd check tires and front end, etc..

My .02 anyway.

PMR
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
rider33 OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, the weave bit along with the heat was what gave me pause actually. Compared to the Road King I use to use as my touring bike tho, the ST is not hot at all. The weave I think was more of an early run issue and Honda being Honda no doubt adressed it. I don't tend to run above 90 MPH much but when I have it's been dead stable. She is a big girl, then again for serious distance that's not all bad and it's still a good hundred or two lighter than an FL or a Wing. 'Certainly not for everyone but one hell of a good traveling bike and quite well priced of late.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
I have considered a used ST1300, as there are, as Bubwheat stated, so many nice used ones on the market...but one thing that has weirded me out and prevented me from making a final decision to do so is the "speed weave" that one hears about sometimes...even on the ST1300 website. Would not want to buy such a fine machine and suddenly discover I'm all over the road on it. That's probably an exaggeration, but would like to know the experience of owners with regard to this issue, as I think the ST1300 and also the 1100 are otherwise very fine motorcycles.
Look at the 2011 mileage tracker on ST-Owners.com. It will pass 3.1 million miles this weekend. Most of those miles are racked up on Honda STs. That ought to tell you what owners think about the Honda ST and the weave. Some weave and some don't and even those that do don't keep owners from racking up huge miles on them. They just stay under 130 mph.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
The weave was supposedly caused by wind reacting with the trunk, which was discovered in Europe, so Honda did not offer the trunk in the US. I've not had the pleasure of owning the 13 but having owned two 11's I can tell everyone there is nothing more stable. I've had both over 100mph in the rain and I've crossed very rough railroad crossings, where cars and trucks slow to 20, at 80mph+ in the rain. And not at all scary.

I've also spent too much time working in a Honda Dealership and these two bikes as well as the VFR series are in the top 5 of low maintenance and repair. And that is comparing against all other Nippon products as well as US and European brands. I've owned them all, I've worked on almost all of them with the exception of Ducati and I don't need that experience. Those of you that wrote this bike off on rumors and third person accounts have really missed out.

One last thought: there have been some stability problems when morons run their tires at half pressure and one or two needed the stem nut torque set. Heat problems are often solved by proper tuning.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
My '03 had the weave when well north of 100mph, and no I did not have a top case. Yes, it scared me and yes, I didn't head north of 100mph after that.

Other than that, the bike was rock solid, and really the heat issue really only became a problem on a very hot day, in slow traffic.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 779
Put 22k on my '04. No weave with 36L top box- bad weave around trucks at 80+ with 52L top box. Cranking up pre-load helped alot. Honda fairing deflectors were a huge improvement for the heat- should have been standard (along with the acc harness & outlet).

I was hoping for a touring VFR, guess that won't happen now.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
squirrelnator
Mystical Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I have put over 60,000 miles on my 2005 ST, no top box and more than a few times in triple digit speeds. Never even a hint of a wobble.

Rather than a 2012 model I recommend a good used one. These things will run forever. I expect to get 150,000 miles easily.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
HornHonker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I'm suprised honda restarted production with no changes considering stock piled up in the wearhouses. I guess they think
this lack of inovation will stir our blood and result in sales ?? Ofcourse we will no doubt get to pay ever more for what is now
an old model.
HornHonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
rolarosa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I have a bit over 50,000 on an 04 St and the bike has been a pleasure. I too am disappointed Honda won't update it. Why not a minor refresh like they did with the Gold Wing?
rolarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
FXRBILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
50,000 this week on an '06 bought new in '07.Has seen lots of 100+ and 140 many times with no wobble.Bike is stock except for the seat.Only issues have been a stuck open t-stat and blew a fork seal at 33,000.Both items covered under factory warranty.Burns no oil and gets 45-50 mpg.Would've had a lot more miles but my Aprilia is a little cooler to ride in the middle of the summer.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
rider33 OP
Studly Adventurer

Honda tends to run longer production cycles and even the Goldwing took 11 years before a Tupperware refresh, it also sells in much larger numbers. Personally, I'm kind of glad they haven't messed with it as not all improvements are really for the better. Then again, I haven't been riding one for the last 7 years either. You've got to hand it to Honda tho, that roughly ten year old designs like the GW & ST are still competitive is a testiment to their design prowess. A 2012 also means full parts support for another ten years. Bikes with long production runs tend to be easy to find parts for down the line. Having owned a few where everything is back- ordered forever, I've learned to appreciate the value of that.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #15
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Oddometer: 795
39K on my ' 04 ST1300A. No weave with the Pan European TopBox, heat is not noticeable with pants & boots,and heavy until you are underway. All in all, a great mile muncher on the slab and fun in the twisties when you get the suspension sorted out. More labor intensive than my ' 81 Wing, but ABS, fuel injection, and linked brakes makes up for it.

Thermostat & the final drive flange bearing are the typical maladies that I have encountered and addressed.

My last touring rig I hope.

Doc
ST-DocLizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote