User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #91
Supergirl42
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Sounds exciting

Sound like you're having a great time and awesome adventures.
And yes, you really should have bought that bunnyhug. Definitely.

Cheers!
Supergirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #92
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirl42 View Post
bunnyhug. .

Cheers!

Careful with that. People look at me with a crooked head saying that around here let alone posting it on the internet...
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #93
Hishooter OP
On the Road

Oddometer: 33
Mazatlan

Hola,

So we are currently in Mazatlan and we are pushing rather hard south to get to a week of spanish lessons in Guatemala on the 23rd, however we are finding a difficult time getting internet access able to continue the RR. Another factor my be that we have been putting in rather long days on the road and have not had much down time, so it will be updated, shortly. Oh and we are getting rather irate with the toll roads. Tomorrow we might try to go to Puerto Vallarta, we shall see.

Colin
Hishooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #94
Hishooter OP
On the Road

San Fran to San Luis Obispo 450km

Hello Everyone,

So the day after we left San Fran the trip took a turn for the worse. When we were about 300km outside San Fran heading south down the one Billy decided it was a good time to kiss a cliff. The morning started off quite nice with a good view to wake up too.

We rode to the best sign that I have ever seen.

We all decided to kiss and slap the sign for good luck which turned out to be a great idea. About 20min after this sign Billy was turning right on a quite tight turn and he leaned just a little too far and scraped his foot peg along the road. Now usually this wouldn't be an issue but instead of folding his peg popped his back tire off the ground and that was it. I was riding behind him and all I saw when I rounded the corner I was witness to his bike low siding over the centerline and hitting the cliff. Billy quickly followed and went over the bike and into the cliff. By the time I stopped and looked back he was already on his feet and was unharmed. His bike was another story however.

Here is where he hit the cliff, the center brown area is where he took off the top layer of rock.

Aftermath, look at the right handlebar, the throttle tube was smashed into pieces.

Crashbars

The racks were ripped apart in two pieces.

Rear of the bike.

and here is the corner that claimed the bike, apparently there was a fatality here a week or so before.

After the crash and the recovery from the adrenaline Billy and Patrick went to the next town and called a tow truck and then we had the bike towed to San Luis Obispo to the Kawi dealer. The tow truck driver Brett gave us some very good advice about the bike and passing the Mexican borders, oranges and Budwiser, but so far we have gotten by without it. Brett took us to the local Travelodge and we were set to wait a couple days while we figured out what to do next.

Colin
Old 10-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #95
IronButt II
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Good luck guys... hoping Billy's new mount isn't too much of an odd-ball. Sorry... forgot to mention those toll roads with the premium gringo rate.

Cheers!
MB
IronButt II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #96
mightymanx
Cheap-ass KLR rider.

Oddometer: 331
Remember KLRs are suposed to be cheaply fixed so use some tractor parts of something to fix it so you don't spend all your drinking money on Kawa certified parts.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #97
Hishooter OP
On the Road

Laugh San Luis Obispo

Hey,

So while we were waiting to figure out what was going to happen to Billy's bike we stayed at a cool collage town for a couple days. The first day we decided to explore the city and walked down the main streets. We saw some cool places to check out that night and then went back to the hotel to deal with the bike. That night we went out for some one dollar tacos and then on the advice of some locals we went to a bar called Slo-Brew. Turned out to be an awesome bar with $6 for the first beer and you buy the glass, then $1 for every beer after that. We indulged. Since we are from Canada we are still getting used to how cheap booze is here down south. We also met Sam, who showed us around the bar and introduced us to his friends who were playing some drinking games, its great meeting new people on the road. (Sorry Sam but I don't have a copy of the pic from the bar)

The next day everyone else went hiking on a local hill while I stayed in the hotel resting from the night before. That night we decided to go rock climbing as me, Patrick and Billy all climb. It had been much to long and I am really looking forward to getting down south where we can do some more)

The hike.

The next day the boys also went for another hike while I stayed behind as I was still not feeling great. We spent the rest of the day resting and walking around the town some more, they have some great old car dealerships right on the main drag.

The next day we learned that Billy's bike was a write off and decided that he would be buying a new bike in Phoenix. As we went out to celebrate finally getting back on the road the next day we met Jersey(not his real name, don't actually know it) he was a fellow rider on a 17 day trip through Vegas and Cali. He had sprung a leak on his rear tire and was stuck in the hotel like us. He took us out on the town and bought us a bunch of drinks and was very entertaining. We showed him the local bars we had visited and ended up in Slo-Brew and stayed there for the rest of the night.

That night Billy had to be up at 4:45am to catch his flight to Phoenix and woke us up as he was leaving. The rest of us got up at 9 to ride toward Phoenix.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #98
deus216
n00b

Oddometer: 7
So I guess now the blog is titled 3 guys simply living on KLRs and one scumbag Billy living on a 2001 F650GS Dakar... photos to come!
deus216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #99
deus216
n00b

Oddometer: 7
All I can say is thank god for comprehensive government organized automobile insurance (yay Saskatchewan!) and for low American prices on motorcycles
deus216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #100
Hishooter OP
On the Road

Ludlum and Phoenix

Hello,

So Me, Braydon, and Patrick had to ride to Phoenix since it was just as expensive for Billy to rent a car as it was to fly. So loaded up with all of his stuff that he couldn't take on the plane we headed east. The ride was rather boring along long and straight roads. However it felt good to get moving again. We rode for 500km to get to Ludlum, which was a very small town with a gas station and some other buildings, which looked unoccupied. When we were about to set up camp someone from the local train yard came up to us and let us camp right near the tracks, in the little compound there. It was quite a bit more secure then the patch of dirt near the highway we were going to stay on. However Braydon did not have ear plugs and the trains came around every 20min that night, sleepy Braydon was sleepy that morning.

The campsite, complete with train tracks

First desert sunset, it was quite different then back home

The town of Ludlum, I think the gas station is the one on the left.

The next day we rode the last 500km to Phoenix and stopped for lunch at a hooters on the way, quite a nice experience, another thing that we don't get back home. When we arrived Billy had the title to his new 2001 BMW 650 Daker. However the money transfer wasn't going to go through until the following Tuesday so we had a couple days to burn. We went to meet Jan and Susan, Braydons aunt and uncle when we got into the city, we stayed with them for the duration of Phoenix and they are exellent hosts.

The stay in Phoenix went by relatively uneventfully as we delt with Billy's insurance and bike, we did however do an 18 round of golf at one of the many golf courses in the area, it definitely shows that we have not played in quite a long time, it went well. We are pretty sure no windows got broken, but no guarantees. We stayed until Billy got his new bike and we used that time to plan and prepare our route through Mexico. Braydon's cousin Jamie was such a big help in that regard as she works with employing people across borders. She showed us quite a few safe places to stay and gave us plenty of advice. The first thing she said was never to ride at night, which we have totally followed

It is so much prettier then ours, not as good at carrying loads however, as I am now stuck carrying both tents...

Loading up to head to Mexico

Trying to load up the GS in the morning

Our fantastic hosts for the couple days, Jan and Susan, Thanks for everything.

Colin
Old 10-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #101
mightymanx
Cheap-ass KLR rider.

Oddometer: 331
I am confused. Was there some kind of damage other than the lugage rack and the blinker that was not seen? That bike did not look like it took a hard hit at all.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #102
Hishooter OP
On the Road

Mexico 550km

Once we left Phoenix we headed south towards the border. We were going to start our Mexican adventure with a quick ride to one of Jamie's friends in Hermosillo. However it turned into a very long day as we took quite a long time at the vehicle importation place. As we approached the border we went though the red/green light line to see if we were going to get searched. Braydon went through first and got the green light. I went next and the pressure plate didn’t' work with my bike and I rocked back and forth on it to try to trigger it. In the process I pulled a little too far forward and when the bar rased I couldn't see the light. A customs women kind of waved me foreword as I was just sitting there not knowing what to do. So I just went through the gate and past the inspection station. Patrick and Billy informed me over the radio that my light was red and that she was probably waving me toward the inspection stations. So I may have ran the Mexican border, oops. Oh well everyone rode into Mexico fine and it was like stepping into another world, so different. Patrick has not been out of Canada before so it was quite a change for him. We rode toward the importation area a ways down the road.

Here is where we import our bikes
Here is the process, get personal visa, go to bank and pay for visa, go back to station and get visa, go make copies of all documents, go back to bank and pay $300 dollars to get the bike imported which we will apparently get back once we get to the other end of the country. This took us about four hours. It is a good thing that the rest of the borders we can afford to take full days to get through. Part way through this process Patrick learned that his insurance expired on the 2nd of Oct and that he had been riding without insurance for the last 9 days...idiot. However, a mistake easily solved with the help of a helpful mother who can fax proof of insurance from Canada. Once we got all our papers we started a long ride to Norma's house.

Billy learning just how long it is going to take to import the bikes.
After riding 300km after starting at 4:30pm by the time we arrived at Norma's it was fully dark and we were rather tired. We only pushed so far in the dark is because we knew we had a safe place to stay and we wanted to get out of the border area. We have a spot device and it tracks our location for our families and the first thing Jamie said to us when we called was "You rode at night didn't you" heh oops.

When we arrived at Norma's she provided us with showers and a nice supper and cold beds, which was sorely needed as Canadian boys don't deal with the heat well. The next day was a long day to the border of Sinaloa, a province where 50% of its GDP is apparently drug related. Great.

Colin

Hishooter screwed with this post 10-16-2011 at 07:44 AM
Old 10-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #103
Hishooter OP
On the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymanx View Post
I am confused. Was there some kind of damage other than the lugage rack and the blinker that was not seen? That bike did not look like it took a hard hit at all.
Saskatchewan insurance is rather quick to write motorcycles off, if there is more 3/4 of damage to the bike vs. what they deem to be its total worth the bike is done. The handle bars needed to be replaced badly, some of the controls were gone as well. The SW motech crash guards, while they saved the engine also needed to be done. The racks were a loss as well as almost all of the fairings needed to be done as well, since Sask insurance replaces everything to the stock or OEM parts, that got quite expensive fast. It is a little weird but it is government run and if it was private insurance in our province I would be unable to afford a car and a bike at the same time
Old 10-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #104
Hishooter OP
On the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronButt II View Post
Good luck guys... hoping Billy's new mount isn't too much of an odd-ball. Sorry... forgot to mention those toll roads with the premium gringo rate.

Cheers!
MB
Yes we have been very irratated at the toll rates, I have been keeping all of my reciepts and I will be calculating what we spent to ride through Mexico, it will be a large number , we had a 200 peso toll today, one out of four tolls today.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #105
Hishooter OP
On the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Careful with that. People look at me with a crooked head saying that around here let alone posting it on the internet...
I am proud of it, it is a bunnyhung and saying that does not compromise my manhood at all