Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #1531
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
I wonder how difficult it would be to turbocharge one of these things...

I dearly, dearly, loved my CX500Turbo!
Stranger things have happened.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #1532
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
So I called a somewhat local dealer today, one that is in a largely rural area. He said it could be July but don't expect it until August or even September. I asked him if he had seen much interest in this bike and he said that have fielded a lot inquiries about it. I'll take that as a good sign. I even talked to him about putting a deposit down. Of course he wanted me to do so, but I'm still thinking about it and weighing the NC700X against a Versys. He did say that he was planning on selling a lot of them.

Long story short, I'll probably put a deposit down on it, even with the salesman reiterating that it may be September before it hits.

FWIW, he said he has heard that Givi has a rack system in the works for this bike. I haven't really checked anything out by Givi in a while. Left me with the impression that Givi doesn't make stuff for the bike... yet. I have seen H/B bags for it. He said that he hasn't heard anything firm, but to expect a full Honda factory bag set to run $1200. I'll pass on that.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #1533
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Parts bin?

I always understood the term to mean something built up using bits and pieces surplus to a production run left lying around in "parts bins". My last bike - a 2004 Triumph Sprint RS - was a parts bin special.

These bikes - the 2004 version with single-sided swingarm - were presumably built to use up a surplus of RS fairings and handlebars left over after the 2003 Triumph factory fire by fitting them to what was in every other respect a Sprint ST chassis.

Building several different machines on the same basic platform is not quite the same and seems an eminently sensible way to minimise R&D and production costs.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #1534
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 15,949
[QUOTE=GrahamD;18614493In a previous life, having to commute on freeways, urban gridlock, up hills and having to deal with speeds ranging from stop start for 45 minutes to 130Km/h on the freeways for a total of 1-2 hours each day this looks ideal for most peoples needs..[/QUOTE]

That's my commute right now.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #1535
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I hope Honda will have an NC700X for me to ride at Americade next month. If it is like the CBR250R of last year, World wide demand will swamp production and the US will be last in line to get any until the end of July.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #1536
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuwei View Post
I like "parts bin specials." A lot more than unique, one-offs, that last a year or two and then you can never find parts for the thing ever again. Actually, I think more bikes could be created this way at lower cost. I like what Kawasaki has done with the 650 motor in the Ninja and the Versys. Two different bikes for different customers, but the same basic mechanicals. I'd love to see some of the single-cylider dirt bike and dual sport engines used for creating interesting street bikes, like a Kawasaki or Honda or Suzuki 650 single.
Looks like Honda is taking this approach with the 250cc thumper first put into the CBR250. Check out this new Honda dual-sport that (hopefully) will end up in the U.S.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #1537
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Pheasant View Post
I always understood the term to mean something built up using bits and pieces surplus to a production run left lying around in "parts bins". My last bike - a 2004 Triumph Sprint RS - was a parts bin special.
aaahh! It;s the dreaded terminology problem.

Clean sheet = No existing parts have been used (Never really happens, it's a marketing term)

Parts bin special = using parts that are already being made and cobbling up a bike from them. Doesn't really happen all that often, but is used to varying degree in most bikes. Makes sense to share components where possible. Usually refers to things that have an over reliance on parts that don't work well together or a bike that is mostly cheap and out of date. For example the CB250 Honda that was sold here until recently that still looked almost the same as the 1981 Hawk but was worse somehow. The best examples are built by the engineers, the worst examples are built by management / marketing. (Sorry for all the hands on managers out there but you know who I am talking about.)

Spare parts special.
"What the %^& are we going to do with all this stuff . Why has someone ordered twice as many X as we needed. What moron ordered all this?
Do something with it"

These words usually precede the development of a bike like this.

That's my take on it anyway from experience in an unrelated industry and from discussions with drunk people who know about what really goes on.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 05:02 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #1538
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
So I've got like 7 Honda dealers in driving distance. What is up with all these little hick towns that don't have the population to support a McDonald's, but they can have a new motorcycle dealership? Anyway, I called 2 more of them today and got the same story from both dealers. They both said that each dealer will be allotted 2 bikes, one DCT, one manual. One thinks it is a waste of his floor space and doesn't plan on ordering any, but offered to order me one with a 10% deposit. Basically said the same thing as my closest dealer, whom I will not be dealing with.

I had a very pleasant talk with the other dealer. He said he was trying to get ahold of as many as possible, but Honda wasn't making any promises about availability. We had a long, open, conversation about the state of the bike market. I told him this was the first Honda I've even bothered looking at in a few years. He said, "Don't feel bad, nobody else has been looking." He said he was very confident that this bike would sell well, moreso than any other Honda he has seen in a while. He said he has been a good judge of the market, said he passed on the VTX 1800's until Honda had their fire sale on them, and he has refused to take in an NT700V, but he said he thought this one would sell quick because he felt "this was the first bike that they got the price point right on in quite a while". Could have all been a sales pitch, but I have basically heard the same from two dealers now.

I have made up my mind, this is the bike for me. I can get over the fuel cap being under the rear seat. I will be putting a deposit down soon.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #1539
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
......and from discussions with drunk people who know about what really goes on.
Hehehehe!

Be good to bottle that knowledge........
Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #1540
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
No we don't!

02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #1541
jordan325ic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
This is one of the very few new bikes I would consider buying if I was in the market. I don't like the looks but the specs are perfect for an all-rounder and the price is right.

Plus, I bet the low-revving, car-motor-derived engine will last 150k miles without breaking a sweat.
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #1542
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 978
I'll probably buy one, but I won't put a deposit down. If they all get bought up, they'll build another model next year. If they don't, I'll pick it up during the fire sale.

That, and I'm really hoping they offer a manual+ABS version in 2013. Perhaps. I wonder if I can find someone who will offer a test ride...

/delurk
janeuner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #1543
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
I'm very interested, but I don't think it is wise to buy a brand new model of almost anything. There are always bugs to work out. Besides, it is amazing how much you can save once a few start popping up used with less than 2000 miles on the clock. Saved around $2000 on my last bike bought with 600 on the odometer.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #1544
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
I'll probably buy one, but I won't put a deposit down. If they all get bought up, they'll build another model next year. If they don't, I'll pick it up during the fire sale.

That, and I'm really hoping they offer a manual+ABS version in 2013. Perhaps. I wonder if I can find someone who will offer a test ride...

/delurk

If I don't get one this year I wont be heartbroken, because I would prefer a different color.
Heck I may even decide to get the automatic they prove to be reliable.
Normally I would go manual every time, but I do ride though some towns that traffic just crawls.
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #1545
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post

/delurk
Yeah, that's where this bike really missed the mark for me.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote