Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #1711
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I hope to get on one at Americade on Wednesday.
I've been searching high and low for information on which bikes Honda will have available to ride. I will definitely know tomorrow when I get there. The only thing I found is that Honda was at Daytona with a truck but they displayed only. They did NOT do demo rides. They had a DCT NC700X with them.
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #1712
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
They did NOT do demo rides. They had a DCT NC700X with them.
Wow! That would be disappointing. That is the main reason I am going. Oh well. Maybe I can grab a ride on a V-Strom650.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #1713
tonymorr

Quote:
Wow! That would be disappointing. That is the main reason I am going. Oh well. Maybe I can grab a ride on a V-Strom650.
Sorry if that was missleading. Honda IS doing demo rides at Americade. I will know tomorrow morning(or sooner) if there is an NC700X in the demo lineup and I will report back here.

The demo rides start at 9 am but you need to get in line much earlier than that to ride anything desireable. As early as 6:30-7:00. You need a wristband to get into the demo ride area. You can't get a day pass till 8 am at the Holiday Inn. I don't think they open any earlier but you should get there sooner to get in line. The line usually isn't too long but minutes matter.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #1714
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry if that was missleading. Honda IS doing demo rides at Americade. I will know tomorrow morning(or sooner) if there is an NC700X in the demo lineup and I will report back here.

The demo rides start at 9 am but you need to get in line much earlier than that to ride anything desireable. As early as 6:30-7:00. You need a wristband to get into the demo ride area. You can't get a day pass till 8 am at the Holiday Inn. I don't think they open any earlier but you should get there sooner to get in line. The line usually isn't too long but minutes matter.
I know I am cutting it close and may not get anything to ride since I can't check in until 8:00. I would also be happy to take a spin on a PCX scooter just for giggles. I am hoping for rain to thin out the crowds as I am quite used to it and it doesn't bother me. I already own a CBR250R, 09 Ninja250, and 07 Ninja650 so those my experience with those are covered. It is a 4 hour ride for me but I am going to head out at 4:00am to see what I can pull off if anything. I am also in the market for more new gear so the Expo will be a good opportunity to try on some high end gloves, boots, ect. such as the Rev'it Phantom I have had my eye on.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #1715
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
Not liking that the manual version is not shown on the site for the States.
Are you guys seeing something different than I'm seeing?

Isn't this the American Honda site?

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x/compare.aspx

It shows the manual model, and it gives the color available, Light Silver Metallic.

If that isn't the US site, what or where is it for? Is it a Dealership website or something?
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #1716
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Are you guys seeing something different than I'm seeing?

Isn't this the American Honda site?

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x/compare.aspx
That looks like the info I have been seeing. Two versions available. Standard trans for $7000 and Dual clutch automatic with ABS for $8700. No way to get the standard trans and ABS.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #1717
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
That looks like the info I have been seeing. Two versions available. Standard trans for $7000 and Dual clutch automatic with ABS for $8700. No way to get the standard trans and ABS.

That would be really dumb Talk about shooting themselves in the foot!

Is there a Yamaha spy secretly in charge of Honda America model choices?
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #1718
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamofo View Post
Has anyone actually driven the DCT version? I sit in a lot of traffic so I'm more interested in the DCT, just wondering how the acceleration is with it. I'm perfectly fine with having the bike do the shifting for me and being able to still make a fist when I get to work/home.
+1

One of the very reasons I went from the kawasaki to a maxi scoot this year.
Got bored shifting around town all the time, and bumping heads with the
passanger.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #1719
elamofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
+1

One of the very reasons I went from the kawasaki to a maxi scoot this year.
Got bored shifting around town all the time, and bumping heads with the
passanger.
Yep, me too. I sold my Ninja 650R last year and bought a TMAX. Love it. But the NC700X is calling to me.
elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #1720
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamofo View Post
Has anyone actually driven the DCT version? I sit in a lot of traffic so I'm more interested in the DCT, just wondering how the acceleration is with it. I'm perfectly fine with having the bike do the shifting for me and being able to still make a fist when I get to work/home.
Yep (well, the Integra scoot version anyway), 2 days ago.
The Dual Clutch set-up is VERY smooth, but while working you can tell the shift points are there, it shifts really well, but so smoothly as to be almost un-noticeable unless you're listening/feeling for it. It is a great set-up.
Off the lights, just whack the throttle and it goes, no hesitation, no lag, no slight miss, just off. It uses about 2500rpm on the hit off the throttle, then pulls strong all by itself to over 6000rpm before grabbing the next gear. Acceleration is also smooth, not startling, but easily able to leave traffic behind. I tested it in an area I used to live in for years, everyone thinks they drag race for a living at the green, and I call it "dinosaur land" for all the V8s and strong streeters, but this little under-powered over-weight twin is their equal. I counted the seconds off in my head (numerous times, see below about induction noise!), and I rekn roughly just under 6secs to 100kph, not fast, but traffic-capable.
The rest, briefly.......
The brakes are dynamite, one finger braking. The C-ABS is brilliant, I really liked the way it worked ("dinosaur land" also has it's fair share of total f@&kwits in tin tops), no fuss, just STOP....RIGHT NOW!!! They are very sensitive, both front and rear.
Handling is excellent, it smoothly rolls into and out of corners, lines adjusted very simply with the slightest push/pull on the bars, all very progressive and balanced. Going too fast? Push the bars harder, and tip it in more, simple.
The noise is great!!! Who would have thought that Honda, of all companies, would produce a basic commuter, then allow it to growl out the airbox with induction noise, HAHA! Well done, love the sounds she made.

One minor negative for me though. While doing less than 20kph, the DCT seemed a bit snatchy, and on/off, not smooth like the rest of the range. This combined with very powerful but sensitive brakes, made it a pain to potter around at walking speeds, or to do full-lock turns. The snatchiness may be the demo model I rode, but it shit me a lot, mainly because the rest of the bike was so nice to ride.

Hope that will give you some idea.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #1721
tonymorr

My dealer just called. NC700X spotted at Honda truck at Americade. YAY!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #1722
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Awww dammit... that is straight up road trip bait right there.

Why do I want to see and sit on a bike so bad that I have so many reservations about?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #1723
sportrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
I am waiting for the scooter version! I love the stupid burgman 400 I bought for my wife. Lol
sportrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #1724
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,852
OZ version on the site

The Aussies get..

Red or white NC700S Manual and ABS.

http://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Naked/NC700SA

Price $9765 Ride away in South Oz. Bills Motorcycles.

As well as the Integra which has been around for a few months.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 10:37 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #1725
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
Awww dammit... that is straight up road trip bait right there.

Why do I want to see and sit on a bike so bad that I have so many reservations about?
Because Honda has hurt you before and you're afraid to love again. Your parents don't understand what it's like when it's just the two of you together on the road. All they see is the roadside abuse, not the good times.