Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #196
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
Cudos to Honda designers---they managed to make something more ugly than a v-strom
Old 11-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #197
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I've also heard talk that it'll get 70+ mpg (good!) and that it'll be about 50hp and 500lbs (really bad!)

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #198
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 538
Query - I've read its limited to 50hp and will get 70+ mph - will simply (or maybe not so simply!) changing the ECU/FI mapping increase the HP? A good friend has a KTM 690 SM, he purchased a ECU/chip with new FI mapping and opened the pipe and now that baby ROCKS - just wondering if something similar can be done with this bike. My XR650R was limp as a wet noodle directly from Honda - but re-jetting and opening the intake and exhaust brought mucho smiles!
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #199
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Time will tell. It is rated 48 bhp, and may be ECU will help to make it 52 (read: invest in expensive version of Powercommander) but no powercommander will help to skin 220 kg of weight
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #200
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I've also heard talk that it'll get 70+ mpg (good!) and that it'll be about 50hp and 500lbs (really bad!)
470lbs and 48Hp. There, not so bad after all.

Look, it gets 70MPG (claimed). It has a boot (trunk) in the tank. So no, you are not going to go drag racing BUSA's with much success but, stick a bladder in the glovebox and you could get 700km (car range) without refueling.
It also has car power to weight. 130Kw per metric tonne. (with rider)

That sort of makes the equivalent of a 390Kw (520HP) SUV or a 182Kw (250Hp) Corolla.

It should be pretty usable. Not super exciting but definitely usable.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #201
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
And it's no dual sport really :(
Very evident when you see real bike
Just street bike.
How much Yamaha Tenere 2008 costs in Finland now? Out of curiosity?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #202
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrcrussell View Post
Query - I've read its limited to 50hp and will get 70+ mph - will simply (or maybe not so simply!) changing the ECU/FI mapping increase the HP? A good friend has a KTM 690 SM, he purchased a ECU/chip with new FI mapping and opened the pipe and now that baby ROCKS - just wondering if something similar can be done with this bike. My XR650R was limp as a wet noodle directly from Honda - but re-jetting and opening the intake and exhaust brought mucho smiles!
690 is 300 pounds so relatively easier to get faster
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #203
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
470lbs and 48Hp. There, not so bad after all.

Look, it gets 70MPG (claimed). It has a boot (trunk) in the tank. So no, you are not going to go drag racing BUSA's with much success but, stick a bladder in the glovebox and you could get 700km (car range) without refueling.
It also has car power to weight. 130Kw per metric tonne. (with rider)

That sort of makes the equivalent of a 390Kw (520HP) SUV or a 182Kw (250Hp) Corolla.

It should be pretty usable. Not super exciting but definitely usable.
But all 7 people who want a practical, mind-numbingly boring, 500lbs motorcycle already have PC800s and those things never wear out. I predict absolutely dismal sales.

As an aside, is there any standardization to moto fuel economy numbers or do mfgs just make up whatever they like? I know Buell's claims are insanely optimistic. (my buell is rated at 51/65 cty/hwy, actually gets 38/49).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #204
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
But all 7 people who want a practical, mind-numbingly boring, 500lbs motorcycle already have PC800s and those things never wear out. I predict absolutely dismal sales.
Which means this will be the only member of the family to make to to N. America...
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #205
toshibasz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Hey, at least it doesn't say "Africa Twin" on it anywhere.

It would appear that all you have to do these days to build a "dual-sport" (term used very loosely here) is to raise it an inch and stick on a tiny beak. Then you can add some plastic wannbe bashplate that does nothing to protect oilfilters/coolers/pipes and other vulnerable bits hanging off the bottom of your poor-to-begin-with design. And lets not forget all the agressive front rubber available in a 17.

If the builders had any real balls they would

(A) build it with a real beak....like my DR750 (which had the beak in 89 before BMW)

or

(B) build it with a Dakar inspired fairing like the Aprillia Tuareg concept:

Yes I'll buy one of these if it's HALF this nice.

The "lets follow BMW" styling is chickenshit IMHO
Old 11-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #206
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
In the US. Caracus where they pay 1.5cents a litre yes, but as a commuter in a country with 2.60 a litre fuel, not so bad.

In a country that pays $1.60 a litre and the nearest toilet is usually 500km away, maybe.

It's not a crotch rocket so you may actually be able to use the range without getting off, you don't have to buy a trailer and haul it, and since 90% of DL650 owners never take the bike anywhere near rough stuff, what is the problem.
It may only sell 90% of the volume of the Suzuki?

(Have to see what the price is like first though)

It's not an adventure bike, and the only reason it's on this forum seems to be to poke fun at.

In India it will be the next must have "aspirational purchase" after the 125. The 100 million middle class having a look.

Americans have Harley's. That's all you need. You make 'em. It's all your fault. Stop complaining

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 04:09 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #207
jgunsett
Goin' Coastal

Oddometer: 502
I actually like it. I keep a bike in Florida (Honda Magna) that mainly gets used commuting around the Fort Myers beach area. I love the idea of the auto-tran and the storage in the faux-gas tank area. I think I'll wait until they discount it by about 50% due to dismal sales (ala-DN01) and buy one. Anyone in Southern Florida wanna buy my '99 Magna?

"Life's Short - Turn Up the Bass!"
jgunsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #208
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunsett View Post
I actually like it. I keep a bike in Florida (Honda Magna) that mainly gets used commuting around the Fort Myers beach area. I love the idea of the auto-tran and the storage in the faux-gas tank area. I think I'll wait until they discount it by about 50% due to dismal sales (ala-DN01) and buy one. Anyone in Southern Florida wanna buy my '99 Magna?

i would much rather ride the Magna than anything with an auto transmission
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #209
jgunsett
Goin' Coastal

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit1k View Post
i would much rather ride the Magna than anything with an auto transmission

The Magna is an excellent bike with an awesome engine. I've had it for 12 years and am just considering trading to have something new and different. I'm also not too crazy about the seating position on cruisers and prefer a more standard (dirt-bike-like) seating position. Take a look at the list of bike's I own and you'll see why the Magna doesn't quite fit in with the rest. If I do get rid of the Magna, I'll really really miss the engine. If you've ever ridden one, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

"Life's Short - Turn Up the Bass!"
jgunsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #210
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,577
Honda NC700X 2012

It looks to be a reworked NT700 which is a reworked Deauville (Dulls ville).

If only practicality mattered in motorcycling, then everyone should have one..... not for me though! The PC800 was an extremely practical bike, and it did not sell.