Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #211
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 664
If you want one of these just be patient, they will be offered next year for 30%-40% less compared to the current price
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #212
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
There is a pic of the bike on the net sans the plastics. Notice how ridiculously low the CG seems to be. The weight will disappear on the road even if it will still exist under acceleration. I like the looks and I think it will be a winner.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #213
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
There is a pic of the bike on the net sans the plastics. Notice how ridiculously low the CG seems to be. The weight will disappear on the road even if it will still exist under acceleration. I like the looks and I think it will be a winner.
It's 1/3 of a GT1600 by the look of it. Low fuel, low motor, slanted right forward, which is why it's probably a bit long.

Where I live you can get a lot of dead straight roads that go for 100's if not 1000's of Km with the occasional patrol car and speed camera thrown into the mix.
So something that has enough HP, can do the speed limit without feeling strained and can get good range is what is useful away from the coast.

I would like to take it out for a spin. I probably won't come back all excited but for some things in life, you need something that just gets out of the way and makes things a bit easier for you. Depends why you ride I suppose. It also looks like it will take the weekly commute, the shopping trip, the trip to visit friends out in the country all reasonably well.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #214
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
i think the older crowd (who can't shift bikes anymore) will really like these plus the crowd (any age) who only ride scooters (for the auto) who want a real looking motorcycle type of scooter.

i think honda could offer w/ a 6sp and they'd do well too.

http://www.motorradonline.de/de/moto...94466#1-394317
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:16 AM   #215
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
I saw it yesterday, really disappointing. Looked very plasticky and the X has a tank/body shape that looks like a dolphin-shaped sex toy.

IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #216
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
I saw it yesterday, really disappointing. Looked very plasticky and the X has a tank/body shape that looks like a dolphin-shaped sex toy.

Sorry, not familiar with aquatic-styled marital aids. I'm guessing you don't like it.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #217
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
Sorry, not familiar with aquatic-styled marital aids. I'm guessing you don't like it.
I like the idea of the bike, but the dummy tank is elongated and just looks wrong. It looks very cheap, up close, IMHO.

For the money and spec I think the G650GS is a better option, or the Sertao if you're tall.
IBA #40578

Old 11-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #218
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
I like the idea of the bike, but the dummy tank is elongated and just looks wrong. It looks very cheap, up close, IMHO.

For the money and spec I think the G650GS is a better option, or the Sertao if you're tall.
What money? What's the price?

Why do people think this is the in the same category as the GS anythings,

Isn't it just a basic practical economical commuter / all rounder.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 11-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #219
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
What money? What's the price?

Why do people think this is the in the same category as the GS anythings,

Isn't it just a basic practical economical commuter / all rounder.
Don't know pricing, but in the UK the G650GS is about as cheap as it gets for a 650cc bike. I think only the SV650 is cheaper, new.

Practical commuter is what I was referring to, similar MPG and running costs I would think. The BMW Sertao was also nicer than expected.
IBA #40578

Old 11-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #220
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
I read somewhere that it will cost 6000eu in Germany. Bloody bargain if true.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #221
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Without ABS and DCT: 6500 Euros in France for NC700S according to information available for now. NOT NC700X!
Only I do not know if it includes VAT or not.

Not a bargain for what it is. Plenty to choose from at this price range and specs.

GrahamD,
Nobody expect it to be GS contender etc. It is question of how needed that bike was. Answer to question, that no one asked.
If you look at this segment in Europe you will be needing more than 2 hands to count on fingers good offers in this category of bikes.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #222
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
is this just a me too we now have a beak on all our bikes?
i'm sure BMW is laughing.
]

The purpose of the beaks on the Hondas may also have something to do with pedestrian safety. I thought I remembered reading something in those regards when these patent photos were floated around.

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:53 AM   #223
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
The purpose of the beaks on the Hondas may also have something to do with pedestrian safety. I thought I remembered reading something in those regards when these patent photos were floated around.

The original beak idea was for a crumple zone to help absorb impact in a collision with a car.

The tire would compress to the rim. The "beak" would contact the side of the car next and now you have two points of contact the bike won't pivot up and throw the rider over the air bag but would keep the rider "trapped" behind the tank and his head would impact the airbag instead of the car.

I don't know whether it is still a functional piece on any bike, or it is on some models and is just styling others.

There was a video about it all floating around but I can't find it.

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 12:59 AM
Old 11-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #224
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
The original beak idea was for a crumple zone to help absorb impact in a collision with a car.
The original idea supposed to improve aerodynamics, but I don't know if it really does. I heard DR750's ride very nice at high speed though.

Quote:
The tire would compress to the rim. The "beak" would contact the side of the car next and now you have two points of contact the bike won't pivot up and throw the rider over the air bag but would keep the rider "trapped" behind the tank and his head would impact the airbag instead of the car.
That seems to be rather a pipe dream. The "beak" is way too weak to be effective doing that.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #225
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
It does work on DR indeed. My DR800 front wheel feels more planted with beak than without it (rode it once without plastics. But I do not know if it was reason BMW took this Suzuki idea to GSes.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote