Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #2326
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,378
One on the floor at the Quad Cities, IA dealer. Better looking in the flesh.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #2327
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
Apologies if this has already been discussed but how difficult will valve inspections/adjustments be?

I have been positively stalking any place on the 'net I can try and dig up, with just such an interest

Given that they are screw and locknut versus shims, is both good and bad, depending on your point of view, I guess.

For me, it's a good thing, despite this type to be in need of more frequent looking at, because I can at least do it myself, for cheap, in my back yard/alley, with no special tools, or power, or shelter from the elements.

I can live with a "dificulty", if it's something just like a pain in the ass, have to drain the coolant and move a radiator, or heat and bend a wrench for a better custom fit into a peculiar cramped spot, type thing.

My F800ST, while suuuure, it might not ever need or very rarely require shim swap outs, is a royal bastard to try and do without a possibly very, very, bad and expensive: "Well Sir, it makes a nice door stop or paper weight now, at least." type mistake, under those same conditions I am forced to deal with.

Alternatively, a BMW Service for me including a valve adjustment is damned close to $1,000.00 dollars! Screw that!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #2328
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
I think that right there kills any thoughts I've had of filling that compartment with ice for keeping drinks cold.
Not a very good pic, but it gives you a peek at what the battery cover looks like. It fits securely, but I wouldn't bet on it being water tight. OTOH, I saw I saw two holes in the bottom of the compartment where water would drain out.

As far as putting TKC 80's on it, from what Honda says, they never intended it to be an actual adventrure bike for off roading, just a commuter with comfortable adventure type ergos.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #2329
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
I can live with a "dificulty", if it's something just like a pain in the ass, have to drain the coolant and move a radiator, or heat and bend a wrench for a better custom fit into a peculiar cramped spot, type thing.
I'm hopeful that inspections won't require draining or removing plumbing. However, when I looked up close at the DCT model on my dealer's showroom floor, it did look cramped.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #2330
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Fredz43--best photos yet! Thanks for the look into the storage locker too. I think she looks better in Fred's photos than on the Honda website. Looking forward to seeing one in person.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #2331
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
With all the BMW GS800/1200's, Triumph Tigers Suzi V Stroms, KTM's etc ont he road, I have YET to see one Honda NC700X.
Haven't been reading this thread before now I take it?

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #2332
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
I have been positively stalking any place on the 'net I can try and dig up, with just such an interest

Given that they are screw and locknut versus shims, is both good and bad, depending on your point of view, I guess.

For me, it's a good thing, despite this type to be in need of more frequent looking at, because I can at least do it myself, for cheap, in my back yard/alley, with no special tools, or power, or shelter from the elements.

My F800ST, while suuuure, it might not ever need or very rarely require shim swap outs, is a royal bastard to try and do without a possibly very, very, bad and expensive: "Well Sir, it makes a nice door stop or paper weight now, at least." type mistake, under those same conditions I am forced to deal with.

Alternatively, a BMW Service for me including a valve adjustment is damned close to $1,000.00 dollars! Screw that!

I took my FJR to the dealer to get a quote on the 8000 mile service. It was almost $800!!! and it doesn't include a valve adjustment. They said the flushing of the hydraulic brakes was "very involved". I told them the bike was only 4 months old, the hydraulics don't need flushing. We finally got it down to $500 for oil and filter change (full synthetic), final drive gear oil change, spark plugs, sync the TB's, and change the air filter. Still to high for me.

I changed the oil and filter myself. I will get the final drive done asap, and got to the rest of it when I get to it. The bike runs like a scalded dog...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #2333
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Honda sells non-ABS bikes? In 2013? They shouldn't be allowed to. ABS should be mandatory. The lack of same would not prevent me from buying an older bike. But a new one? Honda, get with the programme!
Lyle
Ever hear of KISS? There are some people that don't want all the bells and whistles that cost a small fortune when it fails.
I'm sure Honda's ABS works well and and never fails, but its just something else to go wrong in my eyes.
I may get it on the next bike, but I want a simple commuter (appliance) this time.

The people that buy a product should be able to choose what they want or need, Not a government telling them what is best for that individual!

Make it an option and keep the added expense down.win win!
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #2334
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I can't imagine why ABS adds $1000 in Canada. The difference is only 40,000 yen in Japan.

Despite quick and easy availability in any of four colors and with/without ABS and DCT and having been on sale for many months, I've only spotted three on the road, not counting the one I bought. I think Europe is the market this bike was intended for.
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #2335
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Would look like lipstick on a 7-yr-old. And you'd have to do the goofy deal where you put a 17" rear on the front.

- Mark
TKC makes a 17" front now. I think it might be fun!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #2336
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardforever View Post
TKC makes a 17" front now.
Not according to this.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato.../TKC_80_en.pdf

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #2337
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
http://www.conti-online.com/generato...tkc_80_en.html

There pdf must not be up to date as they list a 120/17 front and ay 180/17 rear on their site
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #2338
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
I can't imagine why ABS adds $1000 in Canada. The difference is only 40,000 yen in Japan.
Part of that $ 1000 goes into the legal representation fund for when some dickwad sues them.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #2339
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
I'm hopeful that inspections won't require draining or removing plumbing. However, when I looked up close at the DCT model on my dealer's showroom floor, it did look cramped.

Hope for the best, but expect the worst, or something like that, is the saying?

It sure would be awesome if one could "simply" move that radiator aside far enough to gain access and get that pesky valve cover off, without having to muck with coolant... *wishes* *wishes*
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #2340
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I had my name at 3-4 dealers to be called when one came in. The local mom-n-pop called this morning to say one just came off the truck but he didn't know if it was the DCT or not. I told him I was holding out for the DCT but it doesn't matter either way -- I will stop by after work if I can to look at it. I thought there is no way they are getting the DCT. I showed up and it was the DCT!! It was close to closing time and I had no means of getting it home so I negotiated a price and put down $100 deposit to finish the purchase on Saturday morning.

The lid on the storage compartment doesn't fit as snug as I expected. It is latched tight shut but it can still wiggle a bit if you snug up tight to it on the seat or just push the palm of your hand on top of it.

Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote