Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #2386
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Good catch, I now see that their is an extra in the front set that is not listed on the "print version". My mistake.

- Mark
Mark. I have just been over reading a Harley thread. I think you would be a good role model over there.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #2387
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
With all the BMW GS800/1200's, Triumph Tigers Suzi V Stroms, KTM's etc ont he road, I have YET to see one Honda NC700X.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #2388
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I picked my NCX up today. After riding my GL1200I it feels more like my TW200. Man the NCX feels light!
I don't know what has to break-in though, my ass or the seat? If your wanting a rocket you need to look elsewhere!
So far I really like it. I haven't got over 4500 rpm yet, and already have been looking for seventh gear.

turbodieseli4i6 screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 07:41 AM
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:52 AM   #2389
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
Sorry, bloody photobucket wasn't working on Firefox last night so couldn't upload pictures.

Here we go:

After trying the F800GS I popped across to Blade Honda to ride the NC700X.

First thing to comment on (and the thing that divides opinion between those than know how to get the best from any engine, and those that just blindly rev he tits off everything) is the engine.
The engine in this bike it very low-revving (redline is at 7k) but thankfully the pull is very good right from tick-over, I found it best to keep it between 3-6k, the engine is keen and has a lovely note to it (They do sound amazing on open pipes), despite what I'd read they do pull well even in top gear...in short, get to know the power delivery and ride it accordingly.

It squeezed through traffic well and had good punch for quick and safe overtaking even at speed.
The Gearbox was typical Honda (nice solid feel to it) and shifted positively.
The Brakes (although single disc on front) were very good and never felt lacking.
The seat was very comfy, no problems at all.
The Clutch very light with good feel to it.
The handling was superb, it felt very light to flick from left to right and cornered very well with a very stable feel to it.
The suspension (although older style forks) was very good, tbh it felt just right as it never felt too soft on the brakes yet it didn't wallow or bounce on bumps mid-corner, it absorbed potholes well too.
The screen was perfect, kept the wind off my chest and didn't notice and buffeting..plus not too big to spoil the look of the bike.
The finish was very good, and as expected everything is well thought-out including a huge storage area under the dummy tank (fuel tank is under the pillion seat), it would be very easy to put a 12v power-socket in the main storage area.
Styling is always a matter of personal taste and I love the look of it (The IXIL exhaust transforms the only bit I don't like)

I was out on it for an hour and a half and only took it back when I did as time was getting on a bit, could have easily and happily stayed out on it all day.

A big thank you to Andy at Blade Honda, I will be back.

I absolutely loved it.
y2blade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #2390
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
Sorry, bloody photobucket wasn't working on Firefox last night so couldn't upload pictures.

Here we go:

After trying the F800GS I popped across to Blade Honda to ride the NC700X.
Sounds like you really enjoyed the bike. Is there anything you noticed right away that you would change?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #2391
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
My dealer mounted a combination 12v and USB power supply for me, ready to go when I picked it up (not the Honda option, but a third-party product). It is mounted right against the switches on the left handlebar and looks like it was part of the original equipment. I put an iPhone holder next to it so my stereo, GPS, and communication needs are all neatly taken care of. I use Bluetooth for sound instead running a cable between iPhone and helmet.
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #2392
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

To Add:
I had a good look at a white one, the paint is big flake metallic (I thought it was just flat white)
I think White will be the colour I go for.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #2393
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
I was wondering since virtually every car engine these days doesn't require valve adjustments (maybe a few require them, I don't know which ) seeing as it is a Honda Fit/Jazz engine in the bike, why would the NC700 require it ?

Because it's not a Fit engine or even a part of a Fit engine. I had one of those horrible little cars with that crappy paddle shift exploding automatic. People do know that Honda is legendary for their crappy automatic transmissions, right? On the upside a 2008 Honda Fit paddle shift destroyed a Ducati Hyper Motard head to head on the same twisty road in a magazine test.

I still don't know why the redline is mentioned, very common in motorcycles to have low rev limits until you start talking crotch rockets.

I got to see one at my dealer and that tail section is even more hideous in person. It might even be a deal killer for me. I don't do those stupid tidy tail kits because I want a fender to keep water off of me and this bike doesn't even look like it can do that if I left it stock.

I might wait until what we call "winter" when the dealer is a little more hungry before I make up my mind.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #2394
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerCompton View Post
Sounds like you really enjoyed the bike. Is there anything you noticed right away that you would change?

I loved it, I really did.
Other than the Exhaust I won't change anything...oh I'll stick a 12v power socket in the front storage compartment.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #2395
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I still don't know why the redline is mentioned, very common in motorcycles to have low rev limits until you start talking crotch rockets.
Because it's obvious competitors like the DL650 and Versys red-line at around 10k RPM. Hardly "crotch rockets".
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #2396
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Because it's obvious competitors like the DL650 and Versys red-line at around 10k RPM. Hardly "crotch rockets".

Oh, they are to me.

Most bikes that I like and have owned are low rev engines.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #2397
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,065
I too think the Fit automatic is a bit of a turd, lousy shifting and jouncy, busy, horrible ride. Otherwise, hey, its great.

But, I was interested in the valve adjustment question for the NC700 series because I thought the engine was from a Fit, which I understand does not require valve adjustments. If it was the same head, and the NC700 had a belt instead of chain drive it would be the all time commuting and forget-about-it sort of bike. I understand chains are not that big of a hassle, (with a center stand) and understand if the head is different, valve inspections/adjustments may be required.

From Wikipedia (not Honda):

The Integra is powered by a single overhead camshaft 670 cc (41 cu in) parallel-twin engine that is essentially the 1.3 L Honda Fit engine chopped in half—it even retains the same bore and stroke dimensions—titled 62˚ forward to provide a low centre of gravity, with near uniform weight distribution.[9][10] The undersquare engine has programmed fuel injection and variable intake valve timing,[11][12] and is tuned to deliver powerful torque in the low- to mid-speed range.[11] The engine was designed to deliver a "pleasant throbbing feel" of a V-twin through the use of a 270˚ crankshaft, which Honda "deliberately designed with a uniaxial primary balancer" even though the primary vibration of the crankshaft could have been balanced perfectly using a biaxial balance shaft.[7]
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #2398
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,120
Well I'm off to my local Honda dealer to look at this beauty for myself!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #2399
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Oh, they are to me.

p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #2400
Discojon75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
My local dealership in Alamogordo, NM got two in... a standard and a DCT/ABS. I sat on the dtandard today and was very impressed. Beautiful bike with Honda quality. Almost makes me sad that i just bought a Versys.
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote