hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2blade View Post

After trying the F800GS I popped to Blade Honda to ride the NC700

I absolutely loved it.
@ y2blade,
Thanks for the write up, but I was wondering, since prior to riding the Honda, you mentioned that you rode the 800GS... What were your impressions on the differences between the two...?
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #2402
VAridinguy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Rode Today--Pleasantly Suprised

Our local Honda dealership has had a manual and DCT model for a week now. Finally getting enough time to go in, I went for a nice 20 minute ride. I had stopped by earlier in the week and sat on the thing, and frankly wasn't impressed too much. After riding however, I must say that I am very impressed and would even consider myself interested. I had rode VAlongbeard's sweet 2006 'Strom 650 earlier in the week, and was just certain that a similar ride to his would be my next steed. I don't know for sure now if that will be definitive after riding the NC700X. Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who has owned a DRZ-400s and currently a CBR 250R. These are the bikes I've owned albeit smaller bikes in stature and displacement, but I've ridden quite a diverse portfolio of bikes, so I do know what power feels like.

The biggest thing as a US consumer is the lack of testing of any models here in the states. A friend test rode a 1300cc Fury along with me, and I rode that as well, so I can make a direct comparison to the feel of torque and acceleration. I want to give my impressions of the bike. I'm 6'3", 215, and the bike really fit well! The bike has an upright seating position for sure, with the handlebars giving a nice wide set feel. It was different not to have any weight bearing forward on the wrists compared to the 250r, and I must say I liked it alot! Passenger seat looks to be slightly better than one would expect from a sportbike and provide comfort for a passenger for local jaunts, but long distance riding with a partner looks out. In fact, the seat would be my only gripe. It has a ramped-forward bias that kept me against the tank, even though the riding position in general is neutral and non-aggresive. That didn't make sense to me. The padding in the seat is quite comfortable, and if they would take the incline out of the seat I would see no reason ever to need to replace it--I'm sure the aftermarket will solve that.

Speaking directly to the power, transmission, and delivery (I rode the clutch version), it was all so silky and completely suprised me. It's hard to describe the feel of an engine that redlines at 6000 rpm. My CBR just starts to build any torque at that RPM. So, one thinks that the engine would sound dull and low revving, but its nice--the engine actually sounds like its building revs to 8-9k, but its only turning 5 at that point...weird. Any way clicking down to first and rolling out and I was very impressed by the silky, torquey manner at which it accelerated. If you REALLY short-shifted it it would chug and lug under 2k, but anything above 2500 rpm and it pulled real nice. Riding back to back with the Fury (I know completely different genre, mission, and purpose) it was obvoius the NC700X was the quicker ride. It was an awesome feeling tipping into a turn--it feels extremely light, similar to my cbr, but with higher bars and more comfortable seating position. If I had to guess the US mags will test the bike in the high 4 second to 60 time frame and the quarter in the mid 13's. Completely enough power for one's needs (if you dig something other than a sportbike). Effortless go power, the need not to rev the crap out of it, and silky delivery. Hard to beat for 6999.

The windscreen provided decent wind protection, but in testing the feel/flow with my hand I would say that below neck level the wind is definately minimized, but my helmet was for sure getting the full blast. I didn't mind, but a taller screen would probably be on my short list of improvements.

Guys, you owe it to yourself to ride this---it's impressive. The friend who rode the Fury also liked it alot--his daily ride is a SV650 and he thought the power was similar to his, but not as peaky in hp and more of a feel of low rpm torque.

Can't wait for next spring to see if they bring the white over!!
Old 07-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #2403
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs View Post
@ y2blade,
Thanks for the write up, but I was wondering, since prior to riding the Honda, you mentioned that you rode the 800GS... What were your impressions on the differences between the two...?

Hi Hank...have a read here (to save me typing it all out again)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=38

The bikes were VERY different, I knew that before I rode them.

In short:
The 800GS is like a DRZ400S with a bit more power
The NC700X is a well thought out road bike, typical Honda.

Both were good bikes but The NC700X was the one I didn't want to hand back the keys too.
y2blade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #2404
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
I too think the Fit automatic is a bit of a turd, lousy shifting and jouncy, busy, horrible ride. Otherwise, hey, its great.

But, I was interested in the valve adjustment question for the NC700 series because I thought the engine was from a Fit, which I understand does not require valve adjustments. If it was the same head, and the NC700 had a belt instead of chain drive it would be the all time commuting and forget-about-it sort of bike. I understand chains are not that big of a hassle, (with a center stand) and understand if the head is different, valve inspections/adjustments may be required.

From Wikipedia (not Honda):

The Integra is powered by a single overhead camshaft 670 cc (41 cu in) parallel-twin engine that is essentially the 1.3 L Honda Fit engine chopped in half—it even retains the same bore and stroke dimensions—titled 62˚ forward to provide a low centre of gravity, with near uniform weight distribution.[9][10] The undersquare engine has programmed fuel injection and variable intake valve timing,[11][12] and is tuned to deliver powerful torque in the low- to mid-speed range.[11] The engine was designed to deliver a "pleasant throbbing feel" of a V-twin through the use of a 270˚ crankshaft, which Honda "deliberately designed with a uniaxial primary balancer" even though the primary vibration of the crankshaft could have been balanced perfectly using a biaxial balance shaft.[7]
When the engine family was first introduced there was a video interview with one of the engineers but it is getting harder and harder for me to find it any more because there have been so many new videos about each of the three bikes since then. The motorcycle engine engineers met on a regular basis with the Fit engine engineers but they were merely talks. At no point did they cut a Fit engine in half or any other nonsense.

I don't know why Honda discusses the engine sound so much. I can barely hear the engine most of the time. This may be the first bike I put on a slipon so I can hear it.

Yes guys, I picked it up this morning. More on that later tonight.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #2405
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I saw an NC700X parked up next to a V Strom and Vicotry Cross Country tonight. Looks good in the flesh.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #2406
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,367
I took out the manual one today at my Honda dealer and I really liked the bike. Not a long range tourer, but a really nice little bike. I have an 1100 GS and a slant 4 KGT, so pretty tough to compare to anything I've ridden in a long time. And my local dealer has a discount on this bike already. Nice scoot !

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE

Gezerbike screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 05:40 PM
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #2407
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 867
Sat on one at Laguna yesterday. Felt great. Loved the ergos on the bike. The first thing I did was grab for the clutch lever and go "huh?" Don't think I'd even give a thought about the DCT but still cool nonetheless. A little disappointed about the single brake caliper up front though.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #2408
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Sat on one at Laguna yesterday. Felt great. Loved the ergos on the bike. The first thing I did was grab for the clutch lever and go "huh?" Don't think I'd even give a thought about the DCT but still cool nonetheless. A little disappointed about the single brake caliper up front though.
Rode one today and the single rotor up front was super strong. This is a great bike for the price, felt it could have rev'd out a little more but other than that it was great.
2009 CRF150R
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:18 AM   #2409
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy74 View Post
I definitely want ABS if I get a new bike. I am interested in the DCT, but what about the DCT causes a drop in both horsepower and gas mileage? I can't see the extra rotating components in the transmission sucking away 3 hp.
I think it's the automatic modes that kill the fuel consumption, as most will
use it in sport mode only (just read an Integra 700 review and it'll do 60mph
in 8,5 seconds in drive mode - read: slower then my 300cc scoot with
malossi multivar) so they maybe wanted to be on the "safe side" declaring
those values.

I have no doubt that it'll do same MPG figures in D mode (riding slow) and/or
in full manual shifting before 3500.

The full auto in D mode will shift to 6th gear at 43-44mph if you're not
accelerating "a lot".

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #2410
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I heard somewhere it takes the NC700X over 5 seconds to reach 60mph. That's a substantial difference.
Local mag had the Integra DCT in for review (comparo with Tmax and SRV850)
and it did 60mph in 6,9 seconds in sport mode, and 8,4 seconds in 'D' mode.

Felt faster to me.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #2411
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Local mag had the Integra DCT in for review (comparo with Tmax and SRV850)
and it did 60mph in 6,9 seconds in sport mode, and 8,4 seconds in 'D' mode.

Felt faster to me.
same.
The manual I rode did it in around 5secs . it didn't feel slow. it had no problem pulling away from Traffic lights and junctions ahead of everything else, had good overtaking punch too...certainly isn't a slow bike once you ride it properly.

Message to the number quoters:
Ignore the magazine figures and ride one for yourself. I loved it
y2blade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #2412
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Does the DCT version launch as aggressively as a clutched bike? Try to wheelie first gear on launch?
sendler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #2413
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,375
Pardon me if I missed it talked about already, but has anyone seen or read anything about SW Motech or similar coming up with some pannier bracket bars for the new Honda soon?

I am liking the price and looks of the bike, but more of a conventional Happy Trails aluminum panniers feller or Pelican Hardigg Storm cases instead of paying for factory baggage. Maybe just me.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #2414
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
No worries. Bike tested the 700 and it stopped 70 mph to 0 in 50.5 meters. That figure is squarely in the middle of 600 and 1000cc sportbike numbers. That figure for my ST1300 is 60.7 meters. I think it stops very good, plus less unsprung weight, fewer parts to maintain, one less set of pads when the time comes to replace them.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #2415
Fuzzy74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Pardon me if I missed it talked about already, but has anyone seen or read anything about SW Motech or similar coming up with some pannier bracket bars for the new Honda soon?

I am liking the price and looks of the bike, but more of a conventional Happy Trails aluminum panniers feller or Pelican Hardigg Storm cases instead of paying for factory baggage. Maybe just me.
GIVI has brackets on their U.S. web page: http://www.giviusa.com/My-motorcycle...DA&mo=NC-700-X

Hepco and Becker also has them on their U.K. page: http://www.hepco-and-becker-luggage.co.uk/

Should be more coming as the bike starts selling here. Twisted throttle has a couple items like radiator guard and fender eliminator but does not show any luggage yet.

The NC700 forum has a few pictures of farkels installed.

Fuzzy74 screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 11:17 AM Reason: Added a reference.
Fuzzy74 is offline   Reply With Quote