Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #2446
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
They do look nice and I was thinking of getting those for the panniers but then I saw a video of them and it appears they only open and close like suitcases instead of opening up at the top like saddle bags. (Hope I explained that well enough to understand) I think I would find that annoying.
Givi does make another rack here:

It's goes to their monokey system so nearly any box they make will mount up. In my opinion the de facto boxes for easy communting are these.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #2447
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDTDI View Post
I should have added that I do look for that extra gear on my Goldwing and TW200, just the same as every bike that I have owned. If you don't want another gear check out the DCT gearbox.

I do wish the seat was 3 inches higher on the NCX though.
That's good to hear, as I have a bad knee & really need the upright riding position of a dirt bike/supermoto/adventure bike. Photos of the 700 X seem like the riding position bends the knee a bit more than most adv bikes. I was thinking that if I do get one I'd need to lower pegs & add seat foam to prevent knee pain on long distance rides. Still haven't even sat on one yet so I can't say for sure how it fits me.

I still haven't written the 700 X off. I'm a stickler for gas mileage & I love the idea behind this bike. My main reason for wanting a street bike is for more power/less vibes at 80 plus MPH than my KLR. The 700 X could end up being my dream road bike but, I won't know without riding it.

The bike I really want hasn't been built yet. That would be for Yamaha to put the motor from the 700 Raptor in a supermoto with a six speed tranny & a modern suspension.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #2448
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
I spent quite a bit of time checking out the NC700X at the Laguna MotoGP yesterday, and chatted with two different American Honda guys about it. The intention of bundling ABS and DCT is to keep the entry (non-ABS) price low. But clearly they were hearing a lot about this ... when I started to ask the question, they pretty much finished my sentence for me.

I'm an older, very experienced rider with a first-gen DL650, DR650 and a Ducati Monster. The NC700 low-rpm engine, integrated storage, and upright riding position all have a lot of appeal in theory. In practice (again, just sitting and looking) it was VERY nice. Great riding position, with what looked like good wind protection without the feel of massive front-end plastics like the Strom (which was confirmed when I went over to the Suzuki tent and sat on a new DL650 and a DL1000). I think the styling is overall OK (not much different than a Multistrada 1200, to be be honest) and a lot of the detail design (gauge cluster, front frame tubes wrapping around the engine) is very nice IMO. Silver and black color scheme was tasteful. I like it a lot, but would want ABS and the 6-speed plus a demonstrated 250+ mile range.

Folks on another thread have challenged the ADV-ness of this bike. It's a street bike, nothing more. But the overall feeling I got from sitting on it, was that it could be just fine on hardpacked dirt, like an older standard, just from the low-feeling CG and light-feeling front end (albeit still 17" front wheel) compared to say, a VStrom. But that's speculation. My Versys-riding friend was also impressed with it.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #2449
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,639
for those interested in bags, Hepco-Becker also has options for the NC700X. So there is already a pretty good selection of luggage available from at least three different sources - Honda, Givi, and HB. Chances are good others will follow. This bikes has generated tons of interest, and I suspect (and hope) it sells in BIG numbers on both sides of the Atlantic.

I got stuck in rush hour stop and go traffic this morning. I was wishing for DCT just as soon as my left hand/arm began to experience "clutch fatigue".

I may just have to go ride one of these things...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #2450
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
I got a chance to sit on one but they hadn't serviced it yet so that was all. I would probably trade my TMax to them if I bought it as the dealer also handles Yamaha. I'll go back Wednesday to drive it. Overall, I am impressed with it. it doesn't perfectly fit my 6'-2" frame but it is OK. The seat is troublesome. If it were a conventional one piece seat with a side gas fill like the BMW 650 it would be much easier to fit an aftermarket seat to it. I put Russell Day-longs on everything I own, but this one looks to be a challenge in that regard.

If I find the low power to be boring, I'll just buy the KTM 990 SM-T that I really want anyway. This is my last chance to be logical and sensible before I chuck it all and go all-out hooligan. Don't tell me they are entirely different bikes. I am aware of that. But I am going to replace the TMax with something because it does not fit me ergonomically. I'm wide open about what it will be but it has to be comfortable to my lanky old arthritic frame.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #2451
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
for those interested in bags, Hepco-Becker also has options for the NC700X. So there is already a pretty good selection of luggage available from at least three different sources - Honda, Givi, and HB. Chances are good others will follow. This bikes has generated tons of interest, and I suspect (and hope) it sells in BIG numbers on both sides of the Atlantic.

I got stuck in rush hour stop and go traffic this morning. I was wishing for DCT just as soon as my left hand/arm began to experience "clutch fatigue".

I may just have to go ride one of these things...
I saw a Hepco-Becker bag set-up I really liked a few months ago. If I had bought the X I would have tried to wait until I could get that particular set before I farkled it out. I believe on of our Euro inmates posted a link to them, so that set I am talking about may not be available here yet.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #2452
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,318
Intersesting comments. It's a $ 6500.00 motorcycle in standard form. That just doesn't buy alot these days. As I said earlier, I rode one Saturday. It only had 23 miles on it so I wasn't about to thrash it. Talking with the mechanic who set it up and took it for its' first ride, my, and his first observation, was that is not a windscreen on it, but an out line in front of the gauges. It offers no protection. It was fine up to 50, but after that, the windblast was huge, as it it should be on a naked bike. The bike had really good pick up, but no torque. So load it down with big bags and hit the road and you won't be happy, I suspect. I could see it easily getting 60+ miles to the gallon, but the mechanic said it only had a 3.5 gal tank, which is under the seat. The rear seat flips up to find the filler cap underneth it. Maybe the worst thing about it is that Honda calls it an adverture bike. It's not. My little Honda Super 90 when I was in high school was about as much adventure bike as this one. But it's a nice little scoot built with Honda quality, that once the owner realizes what it really is built for will either be real happy or real sad.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #2453
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
Intersesting comments. It's a $ 6500.00 motorcycle in standard form. That just doesn't buy alot these days. As I said earlier, I rode one Saturday. It only had 23 miles on it so I wasn't about to thrash it. Talking with the mechanic who set it up and took it for its' first ride, my, and his first observation, was that is not a windscreen on it, but an out line in front of the gauges. It offers no protection. It was fine up to 50, but after that, the windblast was huge, as it it should be on a naked bike. The bike had really good pick up, but no torque. So load it down with big bags and hit the road and you won't be happy, I suspect. I could see it easily getting 60+ miles to the gallon, but the mechanic said it only had a 3.5 gal tank, which is under the seat. The rear seat flips up to find the filler cap underneth it. Maybe the worst thing about it is that Honda calls it an adverture bike. It's not. My little Honda Super 90 when I was in high school was about as much adventure bike as this one. But it's a nice little scoot built with Honda quality, that once the owner realizes what it really is built for will either be real happy or real sad.
Gezerbike,
Your comments on performance are totally opposite of everything I've read. Everyone else says it's slow but has good torque. Now I'm confused. From one Geezer to another, but maybe you're not one of us.

'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #2454
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I got a chance to sit on one but they hadn't serviced it yet so that was all. I would probably trade my TMax to them if I bought it as the dealer also handles Yamaha. I'll go back Wednesday to drive it. Overall, I am impressed with it. it doesn't perfectly fit my 6'-2" frame but it is OK. The seat is troublesome. If it were a conventional one piece seat with a side gas fill like the BMW 650 it would be much easier to fit an aftermarket seat to it. I put Russell Day-longs on everything I own, but this one looks to be a challenge in that regard.

If I find the low power to be boring, I'll just buy the KTM 990 SM-T that I really want anyway. This is my last chance to be logical and sensible before I chuck it all and go all-out hooligan. Don't tell me they are entirely different bikes. I am aware of that. But I am going to replace the TMax with something because it does not fit me ergonomically. I'm wide open about what it will be but it has to be comfortable to my lanky old arthritic frame.
I'm in the same boat. I love the ease of riding and the performance of my Burgman but it just doesn't fit me. This bike with DCT could be the one.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #2455
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Just my sugar induced hypothesis, but in short, the new Honda only has to be marginally "improved" in regard to comparison to the Wee Strom, or Versys or similar. As the price is right, it only needs a narrow margin of real or even a slight "perceived advantage", and it's going to be a hit.

Like playing poker or chess or checkers, Honda may be laughing at all of us and is thinking...

"We did not have to build the best ADV bike, or the fastest or most comfortable or most responsive".

They only needed to just barely nick it's nearest competition, and shed a little doubt on the others in it's category, and it will sell.

The game fairly simple, it's like the saying about being chased by a grizzly bear... you dont have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun whoever else is running with you.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #2456
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Started putting some of the Honda accessories on today. Here is the centerstand kit.

fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #2457
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

This shows the light bar, Honda emblem panel for the fairing and centerstand in place.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #2458
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

This is where the 12 volt outlet goes.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #2459
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

View from outside of the storage compartment after drilling a 30mm hole and installing the outlet.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #2460
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
It seems to me that the bulk of those finding fault with the bike do so based mostly on it not being what it was never meant to be. It was never meant to be a high horsepower blistering fast crotch rocket....yet people find fault with it for not being one. Never meant to be a dedicated long-distance tourer....yet it gets faulted for not being one. Never meant to be an off-road bike....yet people gripe that it isn't a capable dirt bike.

It isn't like Honda ever presented it as being optimized for any of those. They've been very up front about it being a "new concept". It was meant to economically meet the demands of how most people ride most of the time.....jack of all trades, master of none. The people who are buying the bike understand that and that is part of the appeal of the bike. It is why you'll have trouble finding posts from owners who are disappointed with the bike. We're pretty much happily tooling around with big grins on our faces.

Sunday I was part of a group of eleven riders zipping through some of the lovely twisty mountain roads we have in abundance here in Japan. There were several Kawasaki 1100s, a CB1100, a CB750F, a BMW K1200, a 750cc Katana, a Yamaha Drag Star, a Zephyr 400, and me on the NC700X. The BMW and I stayed tight with the leader in a pack of three and I can't count the number of times we had to pull over to the side and wait for the high horsepower inline-four liter-plus crotch rockets to catch up with us.

Did I mention what the leader was riding? It was a Honda GB250 Clubman....30 horsepower wide open. He was walking off and leaving the rockets. I kept up figuring what he could do on that bike and those tires I could sure as hell do on mine.

With different riders could any of the rockets have left the Clubman (and the NC700X) eating dust? Without a doubt they could have. The limiting factor was rider skill/confidence, not the capabilities of the machines, which as in so much of daily riding were going largely untapped.

Without exception, every single one of the riders was envious of my storage space. Especially since it was clouding up and it turns out I was the only one who had brought rain gear. It stays in there at all times.

There was nowhere the rockets went that I didn't go just as well, just as fast, just as comfortably....and cheaper. Most of them seemed surprised I didn't need to fuel up. One of the guys on a Kawasaki 1100 had to gas up twice. (Don't those have bigger tanks than the 14 liter tank of the NC700X which all the non-owners bitch about as being too small?). I rode about 250km that day and burned about half a tank....probably somewhere between 30-35 km/liter....good enough that I'm not going to worry about the precise figure.

Mike Cash screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 10:31 PM
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote