Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #2506
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 719
It's unfair to say fuelly users are only concerned with getting the best mileage. I think it's just an easy and accurate way to track your mileage. I don't try and get the best mileage, but I do use the site.

You ride all the bikes differently and the different bikes attract particular kinds of riders. How you ride them, has a lot to do with the mileage you get. People are getting good mileage, in part, because it is easy and fun to putz around on.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #2507
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
("fuel mileage nerd site"?
So what about the 39 Stroms listed there getting 50 mpg or the 169 Ninja650s getting 47 mpg? Do those numbers seem out of line with what ADV members are getting on those bikes? I get 66 mpg on my Ninja650 and with a big gearing change could put together a 70 mpg lifetime. 47 seems kind of normal to be all nerds. Even if all of the numbers are scewed high, you then have to say you are comparing apples to apples on all of the models. No one here can argue that the NC700 isn't sizing up to be way better on gas than the Strom and the Versys. As it should. You only burn fuel every time it goes pop. And the NC is a long stroke, low revving engine.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #2508
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Sorry, had to go to work. The deal is that these are "break in" riders and the numbers will fall once they start using the bike and pride won't allow them to come back here and tell us the truth.

Don't forget that you have admitted to laying down over motorcycles, tailgating, pulse throttling and whatever other nonsense you do.

Some people will never get it. If you care to look a little deeper into things you will start to look at how many fill ups people have instead of the highs and lows.

I'm sure I could get 85mpg out of the NCX on one or two tanks but when you start looking at 20-30 tanks, you see that persons driving habits.

Heck there is one guy that got over 120 mpg US on a TW200!

That would be painful for me to do!!!

I don't have very many miles on my NCX yet, but I can honestly say that I have been riding the speed limts on my break in.

I will probably get a lower 1st tank because I am loading the engine and using back pressure also. I want to give this bike a fare shot and want it to go 200,000 miles +. I have 143 miles on my 1st tank and the gauge is showing 2/3 of the tank left.

Thats running the speed limit! 70 mph on the Interestate and 65 on the highway.

Watch my mpgs and I will garentee they are dead nuts! I reasearch and want verifiable data,its easy to weed out the dishonest dopes with enough experiance.

I like valid information give the same to everyone that wants to know.

After 20 tanks, that shows the persons driving habits and that will reflect in mpgs.
My Dad would consistently get 25 mpg driving a Dodge 3/4 ton CTD and I would get 19-22 mpg driving the same truck.

Of course he ran 50 mph and I would run 75+. Not the trucks fault just different driving styles.

Eliminate Fuelly's 1-3 tanks and just use the 10-10000 Tank bikes, and you get a sense what this bike can do.
Different riding styles = Different mpgs.

If you do that with all the bikes. V Strom,Verseys,NC's,KLR's BMW's. That will give you a pretty reliable average.
Then you may be able to understand the NCX is beating the others in fuel mileage, and that was what it was designed for.

Some things are indeed very simple, people just tend to complicate the simple stuff.
If you can't back it up with facts, its best not saying it.
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #2509
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibootdog View Post
picked up my nc700x on mon. put 500mi around town ocean city md. and then left for buffalo ny via pa. I got 66mpg at 75mph. very nice bike. power and brakes were fine. it felt like a vfr 800 with a better ride and less weight. 1288mi now and the tires show no wear, chain is tight. next week I will ride it from ocean city md to calif. on rt.50 and report on the trip.
he's probably young and handsome too, hehehe.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #2510
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa5591 View Post
Sat on this bike on Saturday.Would love to buy one, but with a 28" inseam it is just too tall. I can only touch my toes down on both sides. I know a lot of you only put one foot down, but I am used to putting down both feet . I think if I could get one down flat and touch with the other, I might be ok but not sure.
As Twinrider will attest, a very large percentage of riders in Japan prove that riding bikes on which they can only get their tiptoes on the ground is perfectly feasible. The hardcore runts ride stuff on which neither foot reaches the ground at all when they are in the riding position. When they stop, they slide their left ass cheek off the seat and touch with just the tiptoes of their left foot.

The owner of the dealership where I got mine rides an NC, and he's so short I don't see how he even gets his leg over it to get on the damned thing, much less ride it.

With the low center of gravity, I'm guessing this is a very tiptoe-friendly bike.
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #2511
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Easy Tiger. I was quoting a prior poster at post #1472. That's why it was in quotes.

I live in San Francisco. The combination of block-to-block riding, plus hills, plus wind, plus 75mph speeds on I-280, plus two up, plus random bursts of speed in Broadway Tunnel, plus 10 mins warmup to get to 4 bars = low mileage results. I know lots of Strom owners, including my neighbor. None get 50+mpg. Must be nice to live in rural NY, but in CA we go from sea level to 12,500 feet, 25 mph limits to 75 mph, below freezing to 120 F. You can quote me on "your mileage may vary."

You are on Fuelly and I am not. If I were, Fuelly's average for my bikes would drop significantly. If my neighbors posted too, the average for their bikes on Fuelly would drop too--and significantly. I am not disputing that you get the mileage you do, and more power to you. Come to SF, ride where I ride, and I bet your numbers drop below your comfort level. Would love for you to feel the power of an SE off the line, or pulling a power-wheelie in 4th gear. It is intoxicating.

All the best,
Jim
Not to mention, Some states have shitty fuel that has less BTU's than others! There are a lot of variables in fuel mileage.
I'm lucky! They put that low BTU alcohol in my fuel at least I can drive 20 miles to Oklahoma and get real gas with more BTU's!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #2512
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Sat on this bike on Saturday.Would love to buy one, but with a 28" inseam it is just too tall. I can only touch my toes down on both sides. I know a lot of you only put one foot down, but I am used to putting down both feet . I think if I could get one down flat and touch with the other, I might be ok but not sure.
I'm about 5'8" with a 29" inseam (or at least that is what I get by with because that is shortest inseam I can find for my waist size). After I get settled into the seat, I find that I can touch the ground on both sides with my toes and the front pads of my feet. I can duck paddle the bike forward and back. While sitting on the bike I can roll it backwards out of the garage onto a gravel driveway and turned 90 degrees right so I can drive forward left 90 degrees and down the driveway to the street.

You are so close.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #2513
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Two words: "Platform shoes"
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #2514
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
I'm about 5'8" with a 29" inseam (or at least that is what I get by with because that is shortest inseam I can find for my waist size). After I get settled into the seat, I find that I can touch the ground on both sides with my toes and the front pads of my feet. I can duck paddle the bike forward and back. While sitting on the bike I can roll it backwards out of the garage onto a gravel driveway and turned 90 degrees right so I can drive forward left 90 degrees and down the driveway to the street.

You are so close.
For what is worth they do make lowering kits for this bike.
http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/to...owering-bike/\

I just wish I could get 3-5 more inches more height on the seat!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #2515
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,192
Short rider on a tall bike

Nice demo showing that skill trumps inseam.

2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #2516
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
sat on this bike on saturday.would love to buy one, but with a 28" inseam it is just too tall. I can only touch my toes down on both sides. I know a lot of you only put one foot down, but i am used to putting down both feet . I think if i could get one down flat and touch with the other, i might be ok but not sure.
nc700s!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #2517
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
If you start switching at same rpms and pull with same careful twist to match NC dynamics on many contemporary bikes you will get considerably close on mpg. The long stroke or not motor the main trick Honda did to cut down fuel consumption is to cut down engine rpm range and run it on lean mixture. There is no magical fuel saving solutions apart from obvious. There is nothing else special to it. Not saying it won't work, but if I switch my older bikes at 4000 rpms the consumption becomes shockingly low specially if I do not pull too hard in that range.
My friend 2012 KTM690 SMC-R returns shocking 4 l/100 as we speak. And he is no slouch in riding twisty roads in France where he lives now. That makes is 58.1 mpg (US) or 70.6 (UK).
Not saying NC does not perform there.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:34 AM   #2518
Cortez
BAZINGA!

The only question is if your bike can handle such low revs without potential
for problems (lubrication) considering it was meant to rev more.

I could not match the NC700X MPG figures with my 650R, and it's the
same basic parallel twin setup and about the same engine size and torque.

The difference is the NC700X will happily sit at 2500 in top gear, and the
650R will struggle even at 3500 in top gear, and I was very busy working
the gearbox all the time to keep it between 3500 and 4000 where it
purred along. That would usually result in 58MPG around town.

That said, my lunatic cousin who's bouncing the thing off the limiter daily
gets better mileage out of his NC700X doing the same roads.

It's obviously not only down to the rider's right hand.

Try doing 65MPG+ on a Vstrom.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 08-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #2519
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
If you start switching at same rpms and pull with same careful twist to match NC dynamics on many contemporary bikes you will get considerably close on mpg. The long stroke or not motor the main trick Honda did to cut down fuel consumption is to cut down engine rpm range and run it on lean mixture. There is no magical fuel saving solutions apart from obvious. There is nothing else special to it. Not saying it won't work, but if I switch my older bikes at 4000 rpms the consumption becomes shockingly low specially if I do not pull too hard in that range.
My friend 2012 KTM690 SMC-R returns shocking 4 l/100 as we speak. And he is no slouch in riding twisty roads in France where he lives now. That makes is 58.1 mpg (US) or 70.6 (UK).
Not saying NC does not perform there.
Your right bluesman, but the long stroke helps provide torque at lower revs. The torque at lower revs makes this a enjoyable ride.
I short shift my Goldwing also but if I shift into a higher gear to soon, my GL will let me know it. The NCX will just accelerate out of it without any complaints.
My Goldwing has 77.4 ft. lbs and the NCX has 45.7 ft.lbs. but its where the peak torque is that makes this a little tractor and a blast to ride.

The torque curve on the NCX is one of the best things about it. The other is the low center of gravity.
If you have driven diesels you can understand where I'm coming from.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #2520
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDTDI View Post
Your right bluesman, but the long stroke help provide torque at lower revs. The torque at lower revs makes this a enjoyable ride.
I short shift my Goldwing also but if I shift into a higher gear to soon, my GL will let me know it. The NCX will just accelerate out of it without any complaints.
My Goldwing has 77.4 ft. lbs and the NCX has 45.7 ft.lbs. but its where the peak torque is that makes this a little tractor and a blast to ride.

The torque curve on the NCX is one of the best things about it. The other is the low center of gravity.
If you have driven diesels you can understand where I'm coming from.
+1

That's exactly what it felt like to me, like a good diesel, but with a smaller
"turbo" lag.

The NC700X will pull from idle, LITERALLY, in all gears but 6th, like a
Bandit 1250 would. I couldn't do that in 3rd gear on my 650R.