Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #2566
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
It is a good tech article on the new NC700 engine but all the part about " a pleasing rumble" is heavily flavored with marketing speak. What they really meant to say is "we wanted a twin instead of a four for cost and fuel economy and the 270* crank was the best set of compromises.
I'm not so sure. With the slightly uneven fuel charge and the uneven firing pulses, I think the statements reflect the reality of putting a measured rumble in the motor. It is "marketing speak" but the engineers had to translate that objective into metal. I would bet that they could deliver a dead smooth "electric motor" feel if they wanted to do so. I also agree with them that it would make it seem more like an appliance than a machine and would reduce its appeal to much of the market. Funny to "design in" some vibration, but I buy the story.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #2567
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,411
I applaud Honda for NOT going with the Japanese cartoon inspired Ray-Gun exhaust.

http://3dtrials.org/
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #2568
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Nice demo showing that skill trumps inseam.

Sorry to quote this again, but I have to say that is exactly how my dad rides my XRR. It works quite well once you get the hang of it.

He starts it first on the side stand, then gets off and uses this method. It's funny seeing him standing next to his bike at red lights.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #2569
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I'm not so sure. With the slightly uneven fuel charge and the uneven firing pulses, I think the statements reflect the reality of putting a measured rumble in the motor. It is "marketing speak" but the engineers had to translate that objective into metal. I would bet that they could deliver a dead smooth "electric motor" feel if they wanted to do so. I also agree with them that it would make it seem more like an appliance than a machine and would reduce its appeal to much of the market. Funny to "design in" some vibration, but I buy the story.
Oh come on I think it is other way round. First it is engineered and then after sales guys felt it - marketing put's their spin on it. It's just good layout for motor, this is why.
You can't design electric smooth motor with this arrangement. Unless you have variable balancer shaft system

I must admit I do like that part. The engine rumble.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #2570
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

I just confirmed from Revzilla that they can special order all of the N700x specific Givi parts. I ordered the D1111ST Windscreen, V35 bags, PLX1111 bag mounts, 1111KIT for using the bags without the mono rack, and the TN1111 engine protection bars. It looks like Solomoto claims to have most of this "available", but I had never ordered from them and already had a good relationship with Revzilla.

Honda says that their tall shield is made of clear PVC. I find that choice hard to believe, but that would not be very durable. I cannot find out what the Givi screen is made of, but I am hoping for acrylic. Better, I think, to have a chance at something better than to accept something I know to be a bad choice.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #2571
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
I would bet that they could deliver a dead smooth "electric motor" feel if they wanted to do so. I also agree with them that it would make it seem more like an appliance than a machine and would reduce its appeal to much of the market. Funny to "design in" some vibration, but I buy the story.
Didn't honda have an ad for the original goldwing that had a wine glass sitting on top of one of the heads while the bike was revved? I have some vague recollection of something like that.
Marylander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #2572
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDTDI View Post
Wasn't that the magazine that said at 85 MPH returned 47 mpg? If so that is great fuel mileage.

Right, but you have to start at 0 MPH the last time I checked and there is no way a person can average 85 MPH on a 700x either. I read the article as 'speeds up to 85 MPH' and that sounds about right for us Californians.

sendlersMMV
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #2573
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdub View Post
If I can get 50mpg tucked doing 75-80 on I-5 (superslab) on my 1989 ZX-10, I REAAAALLY doubt that this bike gets 47mpg

just sayin..

You have discovered power to weight ratios and aerodynamics. The 700x is a naked bike plain and simple with very little HP. I hope to be proven wrong when I buy one, but I expect to find myself to be far closer to 47 mpg than 70 mpg yet I still want one for a commuter.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #2574
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
I just confirmed from Revzilla that they can special order all of the N700x specific Givi parts. I ordered the D1111ST Windscreen, V35 bags, PLX1111 bag mounts, 1111KIT for using the bags without the mono rack, and the TN1111 engine protection bars. It looks like Solomoto claims to have most of this "available", but I had never ordered from them and already had a good relationship with Revzilla.

Honda says that their tall shield is made of clear PVC. I find that choice hard to believe, but that would not be very durable. I cannot find out what the Givi screen is made of, but I am hoping for acrylic. Better, I think, to have a chance at something better than to accept something I know to be a bad choice.
I ordered the PL1111 bag mounts from Solomoto and the Trekker33 bags from Twisted Throttle. Solomoto didn't have the bags in stock as a pair with matching locks and I think Twisted Throttle had the bags in stock and at a cheaper price than Revzilla but they didn't have the mounts. I will definitely pipe up if I run into any problems.

I am thinking about ordering the Givi screen next. I like the breeze on me now but colder, rainy weather is just a month or two away.

I am looking for options for putting more lights on the front. Since the Europeans have had their bikes longer I've been searching their forums to see what they have been doing but haven't found anything yet. I've already ordered SW Motech guards which I think will not fit with the Honda light bar. I might just try mounting them right on the guards. I know a mechanic who is good at making custom brackets. I will stop by at his shop Saturday to see if he has any ideas.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #2575
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
It is a good tech article on the new NC700 engine but all the part about " a pleasing rumble" is heavily flavored with marketing speak. What they really meant to say is "we wanted a twin instead of a four for cost and fuel economy and the 270* crank was the best set of compromises.
What's the link to the article?

thanks!

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #2576
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
What's the link to the article?

thanks!
Here's the link to the Honda Global article on the NC700. Also check out the PCX scooter while you are there.
http://world.honda.com/Global-700cc-engine/index.html
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #2577
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
You have discovered power to weight ratios and aerodynamics. The 700x is a naked bike plain and simple with very little HP. I hope to be proven wrong when I buy one, but I expect to find myself to be far closer to 47 mpg than 70 mpg yet I still want one for a commuter.

my bike is 100% naked, not one plastic on it.

this gives it the aerodynamics of a brick

i'd expect 60+ mpg out of this
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #2578
Elam
Noobus Maximus

Oddometer: 51
Saw one today on my lunch hour in Ann Arbor, with pillion. I think its a good looking bike.

Saw, not heard tho.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #2579
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
A hardcore LD rider I know swears by these undergarments.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/
So two things are happening there: The skin is being kept dry and the amount of friction between the skin and the outer layer of clothing is reduced. With these special shorts, there is no friction between the skin and the cloting, all the friction happenes between the two layers of clothing.
The key to long distance riding is usually not a seat issue, but a skin care issue.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #2580
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
I applaud Honda for NOT going with the Japanese cartoon inspired Ray-Gun exhaust.
I think that had much to do with the cat being bolted to the exhaust ports rather than being part of the muffler.