Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #2611
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Don't rule the bike out for your girlfriend because of stated reasons. The single disc delivers stopping distances from 70 mph comparable to your FJR, about 50 meters. I am an experienced rider with about 150,000 miles of sport touring in just the last few years, mainly on my ST1300 and the departed BMW R100. I know a thing or two about packing and strapping stuff for long tours and the filler under the rear seat never crossed my mind as a deal breaker. I'll have bags and boxes on dedicated mounts and when a dry bag or duffle has to go on the seat think Rok Straps and that is as easy as unclipping a strap-down tank bag off a gas tank. That's just my take on it.

Honda knows how to make a 500 lb bike feel like a 400 lb bike and the 700 is very easy to ride with light controls, intuitive handling, and a snake's belly center of gravity. The low revving engine has plenty of poke to hustle down the road and it does not need more power unless you cannot shift your paradigm and use the engine as it is designed to be used. Sure, it is slower than all the other sporting middleweights but it still does the ton and cruise all day at 85 mph. If you need bragging rights for willy-waving this is not the middleweight to buy. Honda's budget suspension has always been "good enough" and to meet the price point one is unrealistic to think otherwise. There is always the aftermarket if it isn't good enough and out of the box is easily as good or better than what the other 650's offer as OEM. That is a saturated field and Honda was smart enough not to have to compete on hp or 1/4 times.
I don't need to be doing any willy waving, but I also don't need to be bouncing off of the rev limiter exiting the parking lot; though I will agree that the braking is superb, no need for a second disc up front.
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #2612
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
Don't rule the bike out for your girlfriend because of stated reasons. The single disc delivers stopping distances from 70 mph comparable to your FJR, about 50 meters. I am an experienced rider with about 150,000 miles of sport touring in just the last few years, mainly on my ST1300 and the departed BMW R100. I know a thing or two about packing and strapping stuff for long tours and the filler under the rear seat never crossed my mind as a deal breaker. I'll have bags and boxes on dedicated mounts and when a dry bag or duffle has to go on the seat think Rok Straps and that is as easy as unclipping a strap-down tank bag off a gas tank. That's just my take on it.

Honda knows how to make a 500 lb bike feel like a 400 lb bike and the 700 is very easy to ride with light controls, intuitive handling, and a snake's belly center of gravity. The low revving engine has plenty of poke to hustle down the road and it does not need more power unless you cannot shift your paradigm and use the engine as it is designed to be used. Sure, it is slower than all the other sporting middleweights but it still does the ton and cruise all day at 85 mph. If you need bragging rights for willy-waving this is not the middleweight to buy. Honda's budget suspension has always been "good enough" and to meet the price point one is unrealistic to think otherwise. There is always the aftermarket if it isn't good enough and out of the box is easily as good or better than what the other 650's offer as OEM. That is a saturated field and Honda was smart enough not to have to compete on hp or 1/4 times.
So how does the power feel compared to the R100 you had?
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #2613
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
I don't need to be doing any willy waving, but I also don't need to be bouncing off of the rev limiter exiting the parking lot; though I will agree that the braking is superb, no need for a second disc up front.
I don't think I've ever hit 6 grand exiting a parking lot unless I was it was on a dirt bike and was showing off.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #2614
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276

Being slow is subjective and maybe it's the camera position but this doesn't seem like it's a pig. Looks like it has some fun in that motor. Albeit the low revs would take some adjusting too. I'm no speed demon anymore so this could be right up my alley.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #2615
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
So how does the power feel compared to the R100 you had?
Nearly identical and the dyno runs I had on my R100 back it up. Most of the torque is available off idle and peaks well before 5000, you shift between 3000 and 6000 depending on need. I was already used to a flat torque curve with a redline at 7000 although it didn't need to rev past 6000 or so in almost any situation. It passed cars and bikes as necessary and covered nearly two miles a minute if I felt like I needed to. Every so often I would go out and do 115 just to see if it would do it again even after 100,000 miles on the odometer.

I had been watching 650's for a while as this class was delivering the performance of a 30 year old 980cc boxer and I knew I could not ride my R100 forever. I did not need more power or drama. I had ridden all three of the Kawasaki 650's and had friend with Weestroms and none of those appealed to me for a second or third bike. When the NC700 popped up it ticked all the boxes. Just my 2 cents.

Dave

dduelin screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 11:57 AM
dduelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #2616
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I don't think I've ever hit 6 grand exiting a parking lot unless I was it was on a dirt bike and was showing off.
No dirt bike, and not showing off... I had just finished test riding a Versys for comparison, VERY different power delivery. After reading all the info on the flat torque curve, I expected it to throttle more like a PC800 I used to have, surprised me a little when the revs jumped up as quickly as they did.

CB500X, DR650 semi motard
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #2617
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nearly identical and the dyno runs I had on my R100 back it up. Most of the torque is available off idle and peaks well before 5000, you shift between 3000 and 6000 depending on need. I was already used to a flat torque curve with a redline at 7000 although it didn't need to rev past 6000 or so in almost any situation. It passed cars and bikes as necessary and covered nearly two miles a minute if I felt like I needed to. Every so often I would go out and do 115 just to see if it would do it again even after 100,000 miles on the odometer.

I had been watching 650's for a while as this class was delivering the performance of a 30 year old 980cc boxer and I knew I could not ride my R100 forever. I did not need more power or drama. I had ridden all three of the Kawasaki 650's and had friend with Weestroms and none of those appealed to me for a second or third bike. When the NC700 popped up it ticked all the boxes. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. I like my boxer a lot. Wouldn't mind a little more oomph, but as the British would say, its "adequate".
Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #2618
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
No dirt bike, and not showing off... I had just finished test riding a Versys for comparison, VERY different power delivery. After reading all the info on the flat torque curve, I expected it to throttle more like a PC800 I used to have, surprised me a little when the revs jumped up as quickly as they did.
Hmmm, the power curve is probably something you'd get used to fairly quickly. Although a fast spin up, combined with a low redline might get irritating. My R100GS redlines at 7 grand and the old Iron head sportster I used to have redlined at 6. Neither one ever bothered me, but neither one spins up very fast.

I once had a Kaw H2 - That thing would redline in the blink of an eye. A wicked bike
Old 08-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #2619
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,026
I wonder how Honda is seeing the response to this bike in the US? Meeting expectations? Exceeding expectations? My loca dealer has already sold two, a manual and a DCT. Has one more manual on the floor. He said once that one is sold it will be a few weeks before he gets another one. There was someone in there looking at it as we spoke.

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #2620
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I wonder how Honda is seeing the response to this bike in the US? Meeting expectations? Exceeding expectations? My loca dealer has already sold two, a manual and a DCT. Has one more manual on the floor. He said once that one is sold it will be a few weeks before he gets another one. There was someone in there looking at it as we spoke.
I came in last week to see the bike Thursday night within an hour of closing. It was the first day they had the bike. The evening ended with me putting down a $100 deposit and telling them I would be back Saturday morning to do the paperwork. What I didn't know is that I was the third person to look at it that day.

I arrived a little over an hour after the store opened. They were just about to call me to be sure I was coming in because the other 2 lookers were there and the store had to keep telling people not to sit on the bike even though it had a sold sign on it. My wife warned me that one of the two was absolutely livid and silently staring at me the entire time I was there. I avoided making direct eye contact but I could tell he was about to go ballistic that he had missed his opportunity.

So apparently there were 3 of us who had known about the bike for quite some time with a strong interest, but what will happen to interest 6 months from now? I'd be curious to know how well the manual is selling. I know of 2 dealers here that still have a 2010 NT700V without ABS but one with ABS is nowhere to be found.

I'd also be curious to see if Versys sales pick up. It makes sense to cross-shop the two and gossip has been that Kawasaki might not even bring it over next year due to lackluster sales.

I hope sales are strong for I look forward to see what they would do next. Will they bring over the Integra and 700s? Will they make more variations with this engine? Will they decide to bring over something more suitable for off-road use whether it be a new or existing model? Will they develop a similar but larger engine family around say maybe 1100cc's?
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #2621
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
I came in last week to see the bike Thursday night within an hour of closing. It was the first day they had the bike. The evening ended with me putting down a $100 deposit and telling them I would be back Saturday morning to do the paperwork. What I didn't know is that I was the third person to look at it that day.

I arrived a little over an hour after the store opened. They were just about to call me to be sure I was coming in because the other 2 lookers were there and the store had to keep telling people not to sit on the bike even though it had a sold sign on it. My wife warned me that one of the two was absolutely livid and silently staring at me the entire time I was there. I avoided making direct eye contact but I could tell he was about to go ballistic that he had missed his opportunity.

So apparently there were 3 of us who had known about the bike for quite some time with a strong interest, but what will happen to interest 6 months from now? I'd be curious to know how well the manual is selling. I know of 2 dealers here that still have a 2010 NT700V without ABS but one with ABS is nowhere to be found.

You went for the DCT version?
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #2622
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
I hope sales are strong for I look forward to see what they would do next. Will they bring over the Integra and 700s? Will they make more variations with this engine? Will they decide to bring over something more suitable for off-road use whether it be a new or existing model? Will they develop a similar but larger engine family around say maybe 1100cc's?
that's what I am thinking too. If this one does well, maybe we will get the Crossrunner and/or the Crosstourer. An 1100 with this same design philosophy would be interesting too. I would also like to see the Integra and the 700s available in this market.

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #2623
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,640
Saw these in Spain a few months ago. Looks like a practical lightweight GS.
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #2624
DeeG
Huh?

Oddometer: 456
Walked down to the garage the other morning, still half asleep and not looking forward to going to work. I walk in the garage, cursed the spouse for parking his CBR250 too close to my Rebel, fired up the Rebel, put my helmet and gloves on, rolled up the door, walked back to the Rebel, and then it hit me. The little red CBR250 grew a bit and turned gray.

WTH? Seems my compulsive motorcycle hoarder spouse bought an NC700. ~sigh~

After work, I stopped by his shop and stole the bike. What a kick in the ass! A little tall, but, hey I can get both sets of toes on the ground so no big deal. What really impressed me about this bike was how well the slow speed handling is. really nice for riding in city traffic. Practically doing track stands at the red lights. And on the back road twisties, the bike reminded me of the R1200R that i got as a loaner bike a couple years ago. Effortless cornerning. Shift your weight on the seat and the bike follows.

Looking into what luggage is available, I'm leaning towards the Hepco Becker, as a couple of the Guzzis and my Rebel already have HB racks. I like being able to swap bags around.

I'm also going to pick up a center stand.

Anyone put on a larger screen? Thoughts?
2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
2009 Suzuki DR200
DeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #2625
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
My all time favorite all-around bike was a '90 TransAlp. I've been thinking, for years now, the Wee-Strom would be as good and probably better.(I've lusted after the CBR250T too, but really, it isn't as flexible as the NC700). I found the power and torque charts posted earlier comparing the NC and the DL650 very useful. For someone like me who really never revs a bike the NC comes out as having a far more usable power plant, and its not like the DL650 is a peaky turd either. So, maybe I'm waiting or wishing for a Trans Alp type chassis with the NC700 engine. Would anyone care to speculate how a bike with DCT would behave off-road, in situations comparable to what a DL650 riders might reasonably themselves in?
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote