Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #2911
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I don't care if the dealer adds a 2nd sticker to the bike that includes his kid's orthodontist bill and 401K plan contribution as long as the final price I get from them is competitive.
Yep.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #2912
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
I have done setup on several hundred Hondas and Yamahas and yes, they are more work than it sounds like Polaris ATV's are. Some are relatively easy, but if you do the whole procedure and checks as outlined in the Honda and Yamaha instructions, it is rare to do one in less than 2 hours. Some of the Yamaha cruisers with their additional lights, bags, etc are a pain in the arse and take the better part of a day. Gold Wings, OTOH are relatively simple and can be done in a couple hours or less. Most of these vehicles come with the battery dry, and must be filled and charged and that alone will take more than the 30-40 minutes mentioned. Most do not have the front wheel, fender, windscreen, mirrors installed when taken out of the crate. Of course, not all setup persons do the whole routine and checks prescribed by the manufacturer. Honda and Yamaha have check lists that must be filled out and signed by the setup person. If something is later found awry with assembly, it is easy to go back and see if that item was checked off of the list.

I am only talking about the process here, not getting into the subject of fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Besides, setup on these things is beyond simple. I worked for a Polaris dealer a few years ago doing setup on ATVs and snowmobiles. I could setup 4-6 units at a time and have them all done in 30-40 minutes.
I doubt bikes are any more work.

Rob
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #2913
VAridinguy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Destination/Delivery--All Crap

Once I get a little Christmas money in hand, I'm ready to make the switch from my CBR250R to either a 2012 (or '13) Vstrom or the NC700x. I thought my own personal budget constraints would keep me looking at the NC solely--the NC stickers at $6999 and the Strom at $8,299. I asked my local Honda dealer (who was kind enough to let me ride the NC as soon as they got it) to 'wet my whistle' for the kind of deal I could expect come Feb or March. He took the $6,999 and added tax, title, freight, prep for a total out the door of $7,713 (note, there is NO discount in there folks).

Back to comparing the two bikes, I feel after riding the NC that the VStrom is a small step (or stride) above the NC in power, capability, suspension adjustability, passenger room, and is the bike I REALLY want. I would be settling for the NC, but would be happy. The VSTROM is really what I want, but the $1,300 apart at retail (before such mentioned fees and setup) is what would be keeping me back.

So, I called a dealer in WV who is gaining a reputation for killer prices. I had visited them a month or so ago, and was impressed with their showroom and staff. So, I inquired with them as to what I could expect to pay for a new Strom. They said they NEVER charge freight or prep. This factor alone, plus the fact that they would actually discount the bike, makes the number comparison amazing. Their offer out the door is $7,818. WOW. One hundred five dollars more than the NC for a much more capable, customizable, powerful, roomier, etc bike.

What say you guys?

VAridinguy screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 08:25 AM
VAridinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #2914
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAridinguy View Post

Back to comparing the two bikes, I feel after riding the NC that the VStrom is a small step (or stride) above the NC in power, capability, suspension adjustability, passenger room, and is the bike I REALLY want. I would be settling for the NC, but would be happy. The VSTROM is really what I want, but the $1,300 apart at retail (before such mentioned fees and setup) is what would be keeping me back.

So, I called a dealer in WV who is gaining a reputation for killer prices. I had visited them a month or so ago, and was impressed with their showroom and staff. So, I inquired with them as to what I could expect to pay for a new Strom. They said they NEVER charge freight or prep. This factor alone, plus the fact that they would actually discount the bike, makes the number comparison amazing. Their offer out the door is $7,818. WOW. One hundred five dollars more than the NC for a much more capable, customizable, powerful, roomier, etc bike.

What say you guys?
Buy what you like. When all is said and done, you will regret the economies in your life more than your extravagances.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #2915
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,674
Quote:
What say you guys?
I say, if you're only talking to two dealers, you're doing it wrong.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #2916
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
I asked my local Honda dealer (who was kind enough to let me ride the NC as soon as they got it) to 'wet my whistle' for the kind of deal I could expect come Feb or March.
Go back to that dealer when you're ready to buy and revisit the numbers. After all, he did let you demo the NC even though he likely knew you weren't yet a buyer. Price shopping 6 months before you're ready to buy is pointless - not to mention that Honda is always running incentive programs that can change month to month.

But as someone already pointed out, you'll be kicking yourself in the long run if you "settle" on the NC when you really want the Strom.

my $.02

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #2917
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
I feel after riding the NC that the VStrom is a small step (or stride) above the NC in power, capability, suspension adjustability, passenger room, and is the bike I REALLY want.

I would be settling for the NC, but would be happy.

The VSTROM is really what I want.

WOW. One hundred five dollars more than the NC for a much more capable, customizable, powerful, roomier, etc bike.

What say you guys?

I think you said it already.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #2918
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
not to mention that Honda is always running incentive programs that can change month to month.

I'm hoping they bring back the 1.9% 36 month deal when it starts to rain, that's like free money.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #2919
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I'm hoping they bring back the 1.9% 36 month deal when it starts to rain, that's like free money.
Did they do away with it? That's what was offered when I bought mine 2 weeks ago. It goes up 1% per 12 months after that. I did 3.9% for 60 months just for a lower monthly payment while I pay off my wife's b-day and our anniversary trip...then plan on paying off the bike next year.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #2920
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Did they do away with it?

Yeah, it ended at the end of June. It was 1.9% for the full 36 months.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #2921
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Yeah, it ended at the end of June. It was 1.9% for the full 36 months.
They must have brought it back...I bought mine on 8/4 in SoCal, and it was available.

1.9% for 36 month
2.9% for 48
3.9% for 60 (what I went with as mentioned above)
and I think they said they could go to 4.9% for 72 if I wanted. I did qualify for their top tier credit offers...so not sure if that is available for everyone, or not.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #2922
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
They must have brought it back...I bought mine on 8/4 in SoCal, and it was available.

1.9% for 36 month

That's good to hear!! They must have taken July off and started again in August.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #2923
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
So, I called a dealer in WV who is gaining a reputation for killer prices.
Which dealer?
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #2924
VAridinguy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post
Which dealer?
Romney Cycle
Old 08-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #2925
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,519
fwiw, I have visited Romney Cycle a couple of times. That's a great place. I have never bought from them, but I would in a heartbeat!

as for the V-Strom vs NC700x - if you want the Strom that's what you should buy. You're not going to hurt anyone's feelings if you don't buy what THEY want. Buy YOUR bike and be happy with it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote