Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #2956
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbwood View Post
To Potential NC700X Buyers:

I recently purchased this bike and when I called Progressive to transfer coverage from my old bike, I was very surprised at how expensive it was. Make that shocked. I asked why and was told that Progressive Insurance classifies this bike as a street/sport. I believe this is the highest risk classification. I made a quick call to my home owner's insurance agent and received a much lower quote through Arbella, even without the muti-policy discount. I saved around $300 per year. I have a clean record (for now), 15+ years experience, and live in MA. Your mileage may vary. My advice is to shop around. And don't bother trying to explain to Flo the the NC700X is most certainly NOT a sport bike.
I am surprised because Progressive still has the bike screwed up in their system. Whenever they enter my VIN into their system it changes a digit and calls it a Honda Vt750c2 which is the Shadow. Maybe they have the manual correctly in their system but not the DCT? So far mine hasn't gone up that much but I'm still waiting for the bomb to drop whenever they fix their system. It would be a shame if it does jump aggressively because I really like dealing with their self-service web site rather than having to call an agent's office. Many insurance companies are still so much in the dark ages. I might not notice the price jump that much because I insure my vehicles aggressively and expect higher premiums.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #2957
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by porko View Post
I now have 2200 miles, Set wrist lock on 60 mph on the flats was 88 mpg.
It's great to hear all the happy reports about this bike after that one reviewer panned it. There's always that one guy. Your 88 mpg must be Imperial gallons which is 73 mpgUS and 31 km/liter, 3.2 liter/100 km.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #2958
hubbwood
Hubb

Oddometer: 3
Keep Your Fingers Crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
I am surprised because Progressive still has the bike screwed up in their system. Whenever they enter my VIN into their system it changes a digit and calls it a Honda Vt750c2 which is the Shadow. Maybe they have the manual correctly in their system but not the DCT? So far mine hasn't gone up that much but I'm still waiting for the bomb to drop whenever they fix their system. It would be a shame if it does jump aggressively because I really like dealing with their self-service web site rather than having to call an agent's office. Many insurance companies are still so much in the dark ages. I might not notice the price jump that much because I insure my vehicles aggressively and expect higher premiums.
Progressive initially made the same mistake with me. They classified the NC700X as a cruiser based on the VIN number, which is much less expensive to insure. I stupidly pointed out the error and got wacked with the sport bike classification, which is a lot more money. Since it's a new model, I don't know that they have the history to wake up and realize that the NC is not a sport bike. Other carriers, like Arbella, seem to have it right. I agree regarding the self-service convenience for some transactions, however, one call to my agent and I had my paperwork stamped and they ran to the RMV for me to register the bike. All I needed to do was write a check for the fees and sales tax and get the bike inspected. All this service for over $300 less per year in premiums. Food for thought. Good luck and enjoy the bike!
hubbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #2959
porko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Tried looking up that windscreen...can't find the NC700X on their site. How did you order it? Or can you give a part #?
I ordered mine from Happy-Trail.com in Idaho. Its universal, its cheap, tucks in behind the small one nice,and removes very fast, takes a little fiddling to get it mounted so it does not interfere with the other shield. I am installing 2 inch risers, that will bring the bars up for a more relaxed position on the highway and bring the shield up 2 inches as well. Right now the wind blast at 60 mph. is just at the top edge of my face shield on my Schuberth C3 and I am getting a little more wind noise than I like and the risers will correct this fine I am sure.
porko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #2960
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
I ordered mine from Happy-Trail.com in Idaho. Its universal, its cheap, tucks in behind the small one nice,and removes very fast, takes a little fiddling to get it mounted so it does not interfere with the other shield. I am installing 2 inch risers, that will bring the bars up for a more relaxed position on the highway and bring the shield up 2 inches as well. Right now the wind blast at 60 mph. is just at the top edge of my face shield on my Schuberth C3 and I am getting a little more wind noise than I like and the risers will correct this fine I am sure.
So this is a bar mounted windscreen I'm gathering? Never used one of these...I'm intrigued. That said, my Givi screen came in yesterday...just gotta make it up there to pick it up.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #2961
porko
Adventurer

Quote:
So this is a bar mounted windscreen I'm gathering? Never used one of these...I'm intrigued. That said, my Givi screen came in yesterday...just gotta make it up there to pick it up.
I wondered at first about the wind affecting the steering but even in heavy side winds passing big trucks etc. I never noticed it. As mentioned it even looks like it belongs and most people have thought it is a stock item( bike gets lots of attention) around the bike shops.I was just trying it out off my Yamaha XT 250, now I'll have to order another one to replace it. Its very affordable as well.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #2962
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
I wondered at first about the wind affecting the steering but even in heavy side winds passing big trucks etc. I never noticed it. As mentioned it even looks like it belongs and most people have thought it is a stock item( bike gets lots of attention) around the bike shops.I was just trying it out off my Yamaha XT 250, now I'll have to order another one to replace it. Its very affordable as well.
Can you post some pics of this screen, or a link to it online? Would like to see dimensions, how it mounts, etc
Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #2963
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbwood View Post
Progressive initially made the same mistake with me. They classified the NC700X as a cruiser based on the VIN number, which is much less expensive to insure. I stupidly pointed out the error and got wacked with the sport bike classification, which is a lot more money. Since it's a new model, I don't know that they have the history to wake up and realize that the NC is not a sport bike. Other carriers, like Arbella, seem to have it right. I agree regarding the self-service convenience for some transactions, however, one call to my agent and I had my paperwork stamped and they ran to the RMV for me to register the bike. All I needed to do was write a check for the fees and sales tax and get the bike inspected. All this service for over $300 less per year in premiums. Food for thought. Good luck and enjoy the bike!
Ok, so there might still be hope for me then. I am hoping you received a stop-gap response and their proper internal channels will eventually sort it out to a better conclusion. In my state we aren't even required to have motorcycle insurance so I don't have any registration issues.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #2964
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
...This ABS brake conversation is a non issue in my mind for a new rider to the experianced, I tested mine on pavement to gravel roads, anyone talking about modifying this system needs a hobby! The brakes are solid, need no dicking with believe me unless you nothing better to screw with.
A man's got to know his limitations, and it looks like you are firmly in touch with yours, however you err if you apply them carte blanche to people you don't even know. "Dicking with" things is called experimentation and that is where improvements and inventions come from. Dicking with things is a hobby, and a quite rewarding one to those with enough curiosity to see how things work and how they might be made better. You have better brakes because someone more capable and/or curious than you had nothing better to screw with.

Sometimes the tinkerer meets his just fate. The designers of the Hindenburg thought that a hydrogen filled zeppelin would be cheaper and fly higher than a helium filled airship. It was. They missed the little detail that it is a profoundly bad idea to ride in a bottle full of explosive gas. Oh well, society inched along forward from the experiment.

It used to be that fuel injected motors were off limits because "the engineers" knew best and all of the possible engine profiles were unalterably mapped in silicon by people much smarter than us. The first hundred people to muck with it probably made it much worse than stock if their motors would run at all, and the non-curious self-limiting naysayers laughed and pointed to the futility of their endeavor. But today, any 3-post noob with a PC can download a new map to upgrade his FI for a new pipe with no assistance from or approval from a manufacturer or dealer.

ABS may be that way too some day that a rider can turn it off or map his own preferred response into the system without regard to factory settings intended for attorneys and 3-post noobs. The first guy to try it may fail. He may even die. He will surely make his braking worse. But the one after him, or the one after him may come up with a breakthrough that a 3-post noob can then purchase and enjoy.

Believe you? I don't even know you. But you benefit from those who dick with things whether you berate them or laud them.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #2965
porko
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
It's great to hear all the happy reports about this bike after that one reviewer panned it. There's always that one guy. Your 88 mpg must be Imperial gallons which is 73 mpgUS and 31 km/liter, 3.2 liter/100 km.
Yes, sorry not to convert it over still decent numbers for a new engine, Honda cases and topcase fully loaded.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #2966
porko
Adventurer

Quote:
Can you post some pics of this screen, or a link to it online? Would like to see dimensions, how it mounts, etc
I'm new to this forum and cannot post pics yet, I'm also computer noob, rather ride than screw with learning I guess! Happy-Trail.com I found mine under 250 Yamaha XT ass. I'll try post some pics soon as I can.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #2967
porko
Adventurer

I guess I have to agree beemerphile tinkering leads to discovery's. Tinker on. Brakes for me work fine,be safe.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #2968
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
The Hindenburg used hydrogen because the US had all the helium and a law forbidding its export, not because dashing German engineers preferred to use a flammable gas that endangered everyone if it meant they could try for some tiny extra margin of performance and save a couple of bucks.
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #2969
swiss-happy
Rubberburner Joe

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
The Hindenburg used hydrogen because the US had all the helium and a law forbidding its export, not because dashing German engineers preferred to use a flammable gas that endangered everyone if it meant they could try for some tiny extra margin of performance and save a couple of bucks.
Hi, I think the point was tinkering is a hobby to some, while it is a no-go for others.

I guess it does not really matter which gas went into the Hindenburg or who gave off bad gas.
Last year I was there at the Hindenburg museum....i did not smell any gas.
Although I did eat onions that morning.

~Joe
swiss-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #2970
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
Thanks for the historical correction.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote