Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #3136
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
My FJR puts out 145 and routinely pulls down 55mpg at a brisk pace. tsk tsk.
That's great mileage for an FJR. Owners of them that track and report fuel use average about 35% less than you (41 mpg).

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #3137
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
That's great mileage for an FJR. Owners of them that track and report fuel use average about 35% less than you (41 mpg).
Imperial. Best tank was 63mpg.

I'm actually very interested in the NCx to replace my FJR (currently just shy of a 100,000 miles). I test rode one (NCx) last weekend at a Honda demo ride and frankly, was SHOCKED by it. Both the seat and the windshield need some aftermarket help though. The seat gave me a sore ass after a 20 minute test ride, and the windshield was pretty much useless. The bike would be better without it, at least then you'd get a clean air stream.

Very torquey engine, handled quite good, good ergo's and I see buy this thread their are some luggage options.

It'd make a great stable mate to my CBR250R or my CRF250L (The CBR is currently for sale).

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #3138
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
My FJR puts out 145 and routinely pulls down 55mpg at a brisk pace. tsk tsk.
well, my brisk pace must be faster than your brisk pace. I've only bumped 50mpg just a few times. My avg has been 44mpg for a long time now.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #3139
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
nc700x dct - what a cool ride

Very enjoyable. Happy with it.

flatboarder screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 01:12 PM Reason: updating img
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #3140
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
Very enjoyable. Happy with it.
And those handguards are?
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #3141
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
And those handguards are?
Cheap Polisport SM Line, available in several colours, fitting out of the box after removing handlebar weights (internal and external). Can be installed with or without outer barend brackets. However, I recommend to use them, since they will enforce correct protector shield position.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #3142
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Quote:
Cheap Polisport SM Line, available in several colours, fitting out of the box after removing handlebar weights (internal and external). Can be installed with or without outer barend brackets. However, I recommend to use them, since they will enforce correct protector shield position.

Thanks!
'12 NC700X/D
Old 09-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #3143
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
[/QUOTE]How did they approach you with the offer? How was Honda corporate during the whole venue?[/QUOTE]

They contacted me through a forum PM. I thought it was a scam at first or just Honda inviting me to ride the new bike near my home. Thought maybe they had a demo truck rolling through or something. Anyway long story short one of the marketing people provided a contact number after stating give me a call to make flight arrangements etc. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to call and see what was up. Well turned out that it was totally legit and Honda paid for an all expenses trip. The NoAm Honda folks were great, they seemed genuine with their intentions and at no point pressured anyone to do anything in their favor. There hope was the technology would impress and then favorable forum postings would follow but they did not have any expectations of the participants. It was pretty cool to get a tech briefing from one of the engineers who worked on the project. I also found it interesting that the least tenured employee at the event was a test rider who had 6 years already. The engineer had 30 years with Honda and everyone else was in between. It showed me that Honda Corp. takes care of their employees (because they seem to stay) and they all really seemed to enjoy working for Honda. This is the sign of a good company in my opinion.

[/QUOTE]When you said you believe we will see more offerings from Honda with the DCT option - did Honda elude to that fact, or was it something you deduced/opined? Like I said in a previous post, if Honda brings the DCT option to the CBR 600, I will go tomorrow to buy it, absolutely.[/QUOTE]

They did not come right out and say they what they would offer it on as far as motorcycles however it was eluded to the fact that the DCT technology would be most likely be adapted to other machines in the future and the VFR was just the starting point. Now as we can see it is being used on the NC700X so I would bet it will show up on another bike, but who knows what for sure.

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #3144
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
A lot of us are looking for Honda to bring us a new ST and I hope it brings some of these efficiencies to the sporty tourer class.
If I was a gambling man I would bet on the VFR1200 power plant being in the next ST version that comes out. I would guess this motor in the right state of tune could achieve a 50-55mpg rate regularly when ridden sanely + they have already got the DCT version ready to go. I would guess that the 1200 power plant could out perform the current 1300 and achieve better mpg average. It would be nice to see a ST1200 that has about 150 lbs less fat on it then the current slob 1300 but still has all the amenities. If the Honda ST wants to stay competitive they will need to up the ante now with other manufactures such as Triumph jumping into the game again with a techno heavy Trophy. I would also guess that the FJR is about to come out fresh in the next couple years......

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #3145
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Speeders elude police.

Guys from the marketing department allude to coming products.

(I'm trying for a spot in the forthcoming "Great Moments in Pedantry" documentary).
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #3146
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Menace View Post
They did not come right out and say they what they would offer it on as far as motorcycles however it was eluded to the fact that the DCT technology would be most likely be adapted to other machines in the future and the VFR was just the starting point. Now as we can see it is being used on the NC700X so I would bet it will show up on another bike, but who knows what for sure.
Rumours were, they would bring a bigger NC, for instance. For those who do not like to stay with 52HP.
And there would come several more new models starting with 2013. However, in EU the NC700X pricing was unbelievably low. You cannot get any more street motorcycle, riding fun and technology for such an amount of money, so it seemed a good idea to grab one immediately. I had to wait 5 months until my NC was shipped to me, since they were totally sold out!
I guess prices will go up.

But still I am very curious on those new Honda models coming with DCT option in the next years. To me, Honda was rather a boring manufacturer until 2012 when they brought the NC. Now I am totally happy with this funbike, and this is exactly how it feels to me. But no matter when they call it an adventure bike, this is a street only motorcycle with a relaxed riders position. I would not at all bother using this bike for offroad riding or whatever.
And on the other hand I would never kick the DCT and ABS option. I rode both versions (manual vs. DCT). The DCT is the coolest thing available. It does not at all reduce riding fun, it even increases it. And I still ride it at 3.5l/100km, which corresponds to riding my WR250R in fuel save mode. And the Honda ABS is perfect. No issues. Go with it. It is a fun package.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #3147
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I haven't seen Honda call it an adventure bike. I've seen where they say it has "adventure styling", but that is not quite the same as calling it an adventure bike.

I have the next two days off. I think I'll go have an adventure on mine.....nothing says I have to leave the paved roads to have an adventure.
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #3148
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

They call it like this over here.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #3149
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Quote:
And on the other hand I would never kick the DCT and ABS option. I rode both versions (manual vs. DCT). The DCT is the coolest thing available. It does not at all reduce riding fun, it even increases it. And I still ride it at 3.5l/100km, which corresponds to riding my WR250R in fuel save mode. And the Honda ABS is perfect. No issues. Go with it. It is a fun package.
Well said, "this bike is fun" and I've owned over 50 bikes in my 50+ riding years.
'12 NC700X/D
Old 09-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #3150
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Rumours were, they would bring a bigger NC, for instance. For those who do not like to stay with 52HP.
Since the NC700 is half a Jazz motor, I would vote for a 3-cylinder 1050cc with 3/4 of a Jazz motor, 75 hp and 60 mpg.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote