Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #3526
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Hope this wasnt already addressed somewhere, but has anyone done a decent USD fork conversion on one of these yet?
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #3527
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by W650-03 View Post
I would be interested to know a couple of facts about this bike. What kind of mpg are owner actually achieving? There is a lot of hype but some real world figure would be interesting. What kind of rpm is the engine turning at "normal" road speeds - 60 or 70 mph? This could just be the bike for me.
www.fuelly.com gives some good data for NC owners over different numbers of tanks. I only have 900 miles on mine and it has been very consistent with 62-68 mpg.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #3528
W650-03
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question Engine speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
www.fuelly.com gives some good data for NC owners over different numbers of tanks. I only have 900 miles on mine and it has been very consistent with 62-68 mpg.

Art
Thanks. What kind of rpm is the bike turning at road speeds (as the rev range is kinda limited)?
W650-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #3529
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

RPM's

Quote:
Thanks. What kind of rpm is the bike turning at road speeds (as the rev range is kinda limited)?
At 65mph it is turning around 3300 rpm. This seems to be right in the middle of the torque curve. With the dual clutch auto-transmission it will shift to 6th gear by 40 mph. There is a good youtube video, "Honda NC700X DCT Auto Owner's Demo", shot in the UK, about the NC700XD. I have the manual and it gets up to speed, 60 to 70mph, easily when pulling into traffic. The way it pulls at low rpm and the slick transmission are great. It feels a lot like a big single.

Art

oldenuf screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 02:54 AM
Old 11-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #3530
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,907
Quote:
I would be interested to know a couple of facts about this bike. What kind of mpg are owner actually achieving? There is a lot of hype but some real world figure would be interesting. What kind of rpm is the engine turning at "normal" road speeds - 60 or 70 mph? This could just be the bike for me.
really....well there are many pages of real world mileage.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #3531
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
Hope this wasnt already addressed somewhere, but has anyone done a decent USD fork conversion on one of these yet?
I haven't seen or heard of one yet but it would be the tits. If I did one, the project would include a 19" front and spoke wheels. Not sure where the donor forks would come from as CRF forks would likely be too tall and the sport bike forks too short. By time you did it with KTM SM-T forks and Excel wheels and a radial Brembo you would have $5,000 in it.

I stayed rightside-up but I had Gold Valve cartridge emulators and new RT springs installed in mine by Race Tech (to go along with an Öhlins rear). In my view, it transforms the bike. The ride is very plush but still firmer than the stock suspension.

beemerphile screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 04:36 AM
beemerphile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #3532
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,855
Quote:
I got 69MPG on my last ride (borrowed bike), level terrain, 5-6th gear from
55 to 70mph.

3000 revs @ 6th gear = 62mph
4000 revs @ 6th gear = 75mph

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #3533
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 634
Quote:

My DCT got 73.1 on the last tank.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #3534
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
I'm having trouble finding anything that says how much power they have.
Don't start that up again. The true believers were just getting settled down.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #3535
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

HP & torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ferguson View Post
Don't start that up again. The true believers were just getting settled down.
www.cycleworld.com
Complete review, including dyno chart.

Art
Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #3536
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
www.cycleworld.com
Complete review, including dyno chart.

Art

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/10/18...x-road-test/3/

looks like a pretty flat power curve from about 2500 to 6000 rpm. That should work just fine....

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #3537
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,855
Can't be THAT flat, since the 700 got about the same power and THAT IS flat. :)

I wonder what could have been done with the cbr if they weren't aiming for restricted licences.

I just saw a VFR400 on the road..
*hint hint*
;)

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #3538
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,091
Don't gloss over the word 'corrected' on that dyno chart, it's really 38 hp at the wheel.

and why does that tard spend a paragraph telling us about the Fit that has nothing to do with the bike?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #3539
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I haven't seen or heard of one yet but it would be the tits. If I did one, the project would include a 19" front and spoke wheels. Not sure where the donor forks would come from as CRF forks would likely be too tall and the sport bike forks too short. By time you did it with KTM SM-T forks and Excel wheels and a radial Brembo you would have $5,000 in it.
I think it could be done for much less and (with a better rear shock) make it a really capable middle-weight adventurer...
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #3540
Grump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I am a little off subject here but decided to come on to give a few folks the benefit of my experience with the bike so far. I have it about 3 weeks and at this point have 2500 Kms on it. I am absolutely delighted with this motorcycle. To put that into perspective I have some other bikes, but my all time favourite which I have had from new is a KTM 950 SM. From a fun point of view I put the NC into a similar category. No comparison on power of course and the KTM suspension is much superior. However for 8300 euro here in Ireland for the Standard gearbox with abs, you get a lot of motorcycle. On my favourite backroads I am having a lot of fun on it, and also ride to work. I dont hang about on a bike and have no intention of ever cruising at low speeds to enhance mileage to the gallon, so this bike is being ridden normally and as yet has not dropped below 70 miles per imperial gallon. I am getting a top speed rolling on in top gear, of about 110 mph. I find myself cruising at about 4k rpm on bigger roads in top gear. You are all aware how highly geared this bike is. From that point of view it is the highest gearing I have ever had on a bike.

To those riding two up and even to all riders, I suggest bumping up the preload on the shock by at least two full turns of the lockrings. The shock will sag from new no matter what the weight of the rider, so this needs doing anyway to maintain the ability of the bike to turn quickly and not run wide on tight bends. If you dont have C spanners, buy them at a good tool shop.

To those thinking of taking them offroad, Do'nt ! I did to my detriment and put a flat in the bend in the exhaust where it comes out from under the engine on the right side. It cost me a little to get this fixed. A full head pipe is about 600 dollars US ? Reason that it also contains the cat. Anyway a good mechanic pulled the flat for me but as the pipe material is very light the welds left some little bumps internally. This does'nt seem to have affected performance. In short the bike is way too low for any offroad use other than flat gravel forest roads. Hit a bump or a rut and you risk damage. I was lucky the crankcase didnt catch it also. As a friend pointed out I have proper dirtbike so I had no business offroad on the NC.

I looked at a higher screen. Most aftermarket items use the 4 bolts on the standard screen. The problem with this is that it leaves the upper part of the screen open to flexing at speed. The original Honda item has a substantial frame at back of the screen to prevent this. I have ordered one but the reasoning is worth thinking about.

Mine ticks from the head also. It is down to valve clearances on a new bike which may adjust out at 8000 miles. However it also may not as there are rollers in the rocker arms. The valve clearances on some of my other bikes are just as noisy if not more so.

The rattle in the clutch at tickover is normal for a bike with such an offbeat crank firing order.

My Ktm runs 34 PSI front and back on its Pirellis and it handles very well at these pressures especially when one gets some heat into the tyres. Pirellis and Metzelers are made by the same company and use similar technology. I believe 42 PSI for the NC riding solo is too much. I accordingly run my rear tyre at 38/40 psi depending on use. 42 is probably geared to cover two up riding.

The braking is really excellent on the NC and that is helped by having a lot of rubber on the road. Do I have anything bad to say about this bike. Yes. I wish they hadnt messed about with the horn and indicator locations. Bye for now.
Grump is offline   Reply With Quote