Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #3586
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman250f View Post
One of these models (manual vs dtc) has about 3 or 4 more HP than the other according to the specs. I've seen conflicting information about which one is which. Anybody know?
The DCT model has a little less to meet licensing requirements.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #3587
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
The DCT model has a little less to meet licensing requirements.
Does it REALLY have less, or did they just say it does?

The manual needs 3-4hp more, not 3-4 less..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #3588
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Does it REALLY have less, or did they just say it does?

The manual needs 3-4hp more, not 3-4 less..
Good question. Dyno results have been on manual transmission models as the DCT requires the front wheel to be turning a certain rpm in order to shift out of 1st gear. As far as I know no magazine or blog has mentioned DCT dyno hp - only manual models. Since dyno results have been +/- 48 hp I assumed the manual has to make more than the 47.9 hp cap for tiered licensing.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #3589
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Right!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #3590
Skapegoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
This motorbike is just not for me, I want a percision job for the tool, not a meh bike.

Dont get me wrong I can see why honda made it, its economical, fits into most licence restricted countries, green, easy to ride and nit to powerfull..... but it has no SOUL!

Its going to get people out of cars and into bikes in europe anyway but it is just boring to me.

I have a Honda blackbird for commuting and touring, its my big mielage bike.
I have a Honda dominator for off road fun, cos im too short to fit an Africa Twin
I have Honda Firblade for all out sports riding.

Percision tools for the job, what is the nc700's job? Just saving fuel???
I would rather burn fuel on a journey and have more fun aswell as arrive in style!
Skapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #3591
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
I agree. However, in this instance the discussion was about how to accurately measure fuel economy in reference to a competition that was apparently posting results to 1/100 of a mile per gallon. They weren't askign about averages. They were asking if Johnny traveled 20 yards further on his gallon of gas than Jack did. IMHO the results should be stated in the amount of fuel used to go a fixed distance but I digress.

I have no (accurate) idea what kind of mileage any of my bikes get, that's how much I care about mpg in the real world. Heck, one of my bikes doesn't even have a working speedo/odo. It tops out at about 65mph and this is Michigan so who cares?

I was just commenting on an "easy" way to be very accurate in a situation that called for it, as opposed to some more cokmplicated ideas that were being thrown around.

Commuting doesn't call for this accuracy. I agree. Hence my not caring how far I've gone let alone how much gas I've used on at least one bike. (FWIW this bike supposedly has a range of roughly 300 miles on one tank. Coincidently the maintenance schedule calls for checking the valves about every 300 miles. I put maybe 100 miles per year on it...)
Yes, but it had turned into a "How to practically measure" for many. That prototcol is amazingly straight-forward and plenty accurate and repeatable. Helping out the newer folks, I reckon/hope. All is well.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #3592
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 170
Saw one of these in person the other day.

It's the Prius of the motorcycle world.

Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #3593
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
Saw one of these in person the other day.

It's the Prius of the motorcycle world.
I've heard this opinion from lots of folks who haven't ridden them but a different opinion from those who have. They sound like fun bikes, in spite of being very practical.
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #3594
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post
I've heard this opinion from lots of folks who haven't ridden them but a different opinion from those who have. They sound like fun bikes, in spite of being very practical.
I have yet to ride a motorcycle that isn't 'fun' on some level. However 45hp out of 700cc's seems like such a waste. I get that the motor will be severely under stressed and incredibly reliable and efficient. Good job Honda. Just seems blah to me. But hey, different strokes for different folks I guess.

I suppose as a second bike purely for commuting it makes sense. As an only bike though? Wouldn't have it.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #3595
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
I have yet to ride a motorcycle that isn't 'fun' on some level. However 45hp out of 700cc's seems like such a waste. I get that the motor will be severely under stressed and incredibly reliable and efficient. Good job Honda. Just seems blah to me. But hey, different strokes for different folks I guess.

I suppose as a second bike purely for commuting it makes sense. As an only bike though? Wouldn't have it.
Honestly...I got this bike to compensate for having such a large penis.

For those that hate the bike and need more speed...here's an idea...stop spending time on this msg board and go out and hit triple digits on whatever your bike of choice is.

If you don't like the bike, great, but why come to a thread solely about this bike and tell the world how you don't care for it? I wish I had that much free time to go to every thread for new bikes coming out to voice my opinion that I didn't like it.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #3596
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Honestly...I got this bike to compensate for having such a large penis.

For those that hate the bike and need more speed...here's an idea...stop spending time on this msg board and go out and hit triple digits on whatever your bike of choice is.

If you don't like the bike, great, but why come to a thread solely about this bike and tell the world how you don't care for it? I wish I had that much free time to go to every thread for new bikes coming out to voice my opinion that I didn't like it.
Bravo
'12 NC700X/D
'08 TW200
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #3597
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Voicing your opinion on something you thought was going to be interesting/good as constructive input is one thing. No need to beat up on something someone else likes, though. There is a reason they make different bikes...
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #3598
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Voicing your opinion on something you thought was going to be interesting/good as constructive input is one thing. No need to beat up on something someone else likes, though. There is a reason they make different bikes...
Exactly. Say I was hoping to be able to carry around a box of widgets in the front storage compartment, but realized they didn't fit...then I'd voice my opinion regarding that being a hindering factor. But (to use an example from above) if I went around dogging a prius cause it didn't get me from 0-60 in under 4 seconds...doesn't really benefit anyone, and definitely isn't going to garner any support for your cause to make a prius that can meet those specs.

In this day and age, it's so easy to look at specs on bikes online--we can all read what this bike is built for and what it can do. If your end goal is not within it's performance characteristics, look elsewhere. Life is too short for such trivial issues in my opinion.

No offense intended toward anyone--If you're a friend of motorcycling, and you help promote the lifestyle in a constructive manner, you'll always find a friend in me. There are so many amazing bikes available out there, surely we can all find one to enjoy this lifestyle, right?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #3599
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Exhaust options?

Ok, I for one am the kind of guy that would leave an exhaust stock on
90% of bikes.. but NC700X seems like one of those that would be great
with an aftermarket one!

Anyone tried anything yet?

I'd probably only look at Akrapovič stuff, but that's just me.

You gotta admit that looks sick, and it would probably get rid of that clicking/mechanical
noise coming from the engine that I don't like on the NC.

I'd never touch an exhaust on a 4cyl bike, and 90% of the ones I heard on
my ex ninja 650 sounded horrible (freakin parallel twin..), just arrow and
akrapovic did it for me.. but with it's specific 270 design, we can treat the
NC700X like a V-twin, and I wet my pants when I hear a ducati 1000cc
twin with termis or an Aprilia 1000cc rotax with akrapovic or leovince stuff.

EDIT: A couple options w/ pictures here:
http://www.motobike-schmidt.de/shop/...6eeaaf5c3ed792

My Flickr gallery
Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #3600
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Ok, I for one am the kind of guy that would leave an exhaust stock on
90% of bikes.. but NC700X seems like one of those that would be great
with an aftermarket one!

Anyone tried anything yet?

I'd probably only look at Akrapovič stuff, but that's just me.

You gotta admit that looks sick, and it would probably get rid of that clicking/mechanical
noise coming from the engine that I don't like on the NC.

I'd never touch an exhaust on a 4cyl bike, and 90% of the ones I heard on
my ex ninja 650 sounded horrible (freakin parallel twin..), just arrow and
akrapovic did it for me.. but with it's specific 270 design, we can treat the
NC700X like a V-twin, and I wet my pants when I hear a ducati 1000cc
twin with termis or an Aprilia 1000cc rotax with akrapovic or leovince stuff.

Don't know what kinda sound they make, but it does look good. And not to detract from your post...but man I do wish I had waited until they came out with a red version in the states (assuming it's coming soon).