User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #3601
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,560
I've seen them all in person, the red looks rather bland IMHO, the black is
virtually a different bike, and the white is the sexy one IMHO.

I'd probably get the blingy white one.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #3602
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
... but with it's specific 270 design, we can treat the
NC700X like a V-twin, and I wet my pants when I hear a ducati 1000cc
twin with termis or an Aprilia 1000cc rotax with akrapovic or leovince stuff.
I'm 100% with you on the turns-my-knees-to-jello when hearing a good set of pipes on a Duc or RC51 etc. Lust, lust!

That was my first thought after buying my NC, was getting a good carbon can and being thrilled with sporty V-Twin-like sounds

But then my over extended wallet kinda made some scared whimpering noises at the costs of these things. Jeebus, $800.00 bucks +/- is one helluva lot of fuel!!! That would last me years!

And when I was um..."Urban" dual sporting in some places probably quite frowned upon for such shenanigans, I did quite like the uber stealth aspect of the stock muffler. I definitely enjoyed being utterly anonymous to anyone more than 10 yards away...

I'd love to be able to shed the, I'm sure, very heavy stock muffler, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to get rid of the shiny chrome-like look for black, but sigh. Decisions, decisions
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #3603
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
I'm 100% with you on the turns-my-knees-to-jello when hearing a good set of pipes on a Duc or RC51 etc. Lust, lust!

That was my first thought after buying my NC, was getting a good carbon can and being thrilled with sporty V-Twin-like sounds

But then my over extended wallet kinda made some scared whimpering noises at the costs of these things. Jeebus, $800.00 bucks +/- is one helluva lot of fuel!!! That would last me years!

And when I was um..."Urban" dual sporting in some places probably quite frowned upon for such shenanigans, I did quite like the uber stealth aspect of the stock muffler. I definitely enjoyed being utterly anonymous to anyone more than 10 yards away...

I'd love to be able to shed the, I'm sure, very heavy stock muffler, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to get rid of the shiny chrome-like look for black, but sigh. Decisions, decisions
+1 but bare in mind that all street legal exhausts are as quiet (and some
even quieter) as stock at half the available revs with the dB killer insert in.

I've seen a couple of measurements for my ex 650 going from 86 to 89dB
for different pipes, and stock was 90dB (and rather loud subjectively) at
4750 revs.

But yeah, money, a freakin' Leo Vince for my scooter is $500+.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #3604
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
+1 but bare in mind that all street legal exhausts are as quiet (and some
even quieter) as stock at half the available revs with the dB killer insert in.
Heh, heh

I have an EU certified street legal Giannelli full system with dB killer intact on my CBR125R, and ooh boy. It says "Giannelli Silencers" on the plate riveted to the carbon can, but it should totally say: "Giannelli Loudeners" lol

It's incredibly loud. And if I take the baffle out, OMFG! I can easily compete with Harleys, and no car alarm within blocks is safe! How that much noise can be produced by an engine with a piston the size of a Jiffy Marker cap, is beyond me...
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #3605
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Don't know what kinda sound they make, but it does look good. And not to detract from your post...but man I do wish I had waited until they came out with a red version in the states (assuming it's coming soon).
The Akrapovic sounds nearly identical to stock exhaust which is perfectly nice. I like it very much. No noise pollution, perfectly suited for long distance, relaxed riding without any loss in performance. 2.1kg of weight and a perfect fit at installation. I have got a video comparing stock sound to akrapovic sound inside of my garage (which makes it seem louder than it actually is). There is a slight difference concerning the structure of the sound. The akrapovic has got slightly stronger "side noises" but is not louder at all. When riding you will not notice a big difference, no matter whether riding at slow speed or full throttle. I have been using mine for 6000km and it did not increase its noise up to now.
In my opinion it is very well suited for the NC, because it does not change its riding quality and relaxed attitude, while offering a more technical and up to date look and 1,7kg of loss in weight.
By the way the Akrapovic (and AFAIK the Leo Vince as well) does not get hot when riding. You can put your hand on it after a lengthy ride. Never try with the stock exhaust!
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #3606
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
The NC doesn't sound too bad at all for a parallel twin. Dear Honda and motorcycle manufacturers in general: Please, stop using 180 degree twins. The awful sound is enough bring a dragon to tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuf9HAagqqw
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #3607
DeejayP999
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
The new Honda has its own forum, as does everything on the planet, and one of the longer threads on this forum is related to mystery "vibrations and or throbbing" which some feel is very uncomfortable. So new buyers be aware that this machine can produce these, "vibrations and or throbbing"...
Sadly, I noticed exactly this issue when I test rode a DCT model.

I wasn't sure if it applied to all NC700X's, just the example I rode or whether it was related to the DCT 'box (which seemed to have some odd shift points which may have exacerbated the problem).

I pointed it out to the dealer and told him that I'd have to test ride a manual version before I could make a decision. He became a deal less friendly after that - and so lost the sale.

I still haven't ridden a manual as yet, although it remains on my "To do" list.
DeejayP999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #3608
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayP999 View Post
Sadly, I noticed exactly this issue when I test rode a DCT model.

I wasn't sure if it applied to all NC700X's, just the example I rode or whether it was related to the DCT 'box (which seemed to have some odd shift points which may have exacerbated the problem).

I pointed it out to the dealer and told him that I'd have to test ride a manual version before I could make a decision. He became a deal less friendly after that - and so lost the sale.

I still haven't ridden a manual as yet, although it remains on my "To do" list.
Good you got a test ride, now you can move on to a machine you like.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #3609
Fidl2n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I've really enjoyed this monstrous thread, I gotta say. Especially all the modding and add-ons of Beemerphile. Really looking at this bike hard lately with a couple reservations: My current bike, a CB600 which I have loved and modified in minor ways over the last four years, has been turned into a little not-so-naked mini tourer. Other than being a bit beat up on the open slab due to basically no protection (except for an aftermarket Givi screen), I've been happy with it.

Then I realized I was lusting for something with a bit more range, maybe a little more power or protection, but at bargain basement, since I've only ever bought the three bikes owned used (Reflex, Buell Blast and the CB600). Toyed with the idea of getting a two cylinder Beemer 650 gs, but they seem dear and hard to find (and potentially a mechanical nightmare) and not meant to be a touring rig really even with a lot of modding, which I would do. There's a very good Honda shop up the road for when I need any heavy duty work (or I blow it). The only real competition for me at the moment is the Wee. But totally different machine (my indecision). But lots out there used for the patient, which I could be.

My only worry with the NC, is that I'll miss the HP on the SoCal freeway in and outa town, which, though I'm unmercifully buffeted on my hornet, has the oompah to get on past the crazies. But sorta unpleasant as it gets over about 70mph for any duration. Only considering the X, btw. I'm looking to retain the fun of the hornet in the twisties and sweepers, but have more comfort on the open road for some weekend/light touring. Looking to see if more touring is for me with more of a bike meant for it. And, a smaller bike appeals, as I'm a smaller person (hornet is just right, size wise). 5'5", 140lb, 32" inseam. I like to not be on my toes.

I have not had a chance to try either the DL or the NC, yet. Tried the Versys this summer and was disappointed at the engine feel. Way too shakey/vibratey, though it seemed to ride the rail on turns. Also tried the FZ6, which I sorta liked, but didn't improve range and wasn't quite upright enough for my ergos, though I did enjoy the engine by comparison.

Rowdymoose! You are exactly the person to give me your additional thoughts, as I see you have owned a Wee and live in SoCal. Any allaying of my HP fears as far as real world performance? I just like the "idea" and look of the adventure rigs (thus the Wee), but don't seriously think there's any more than a fire road or two in my future. The HP on my hornet is far higher and I worry a bit about being able to get around the wackos on the fwy.

Thanks for your perspective.

Blah, blah, blah, Tapatalk.

Fidl2n screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 07:20 PM
Fidl2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #3610
Cortez
BAZINGA!

All the pictures of the NC I posted are of my cousins bike who went from
the 06 599 to the NC700x this year. Put 20k miles on the Hornet.

He never looked back.
The NC is a lot slower, but that's about the only advantage it has
over the NC.

And about vibrations.. I hated my 650R (Versys engine is the same) because of the vibes,
and while the NC700X also has some, they're completely different and there's a lot less
of them - I could live with that.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #3611
Fidl2n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thanks, Cortez. Exactly the sort of input I'm looking for. Did your cousin go for any of tha factory add-ons (esp any of the rider pro bits)?

And here's the crux: what exactly is the experience of "a lot slower"? As in, I can't drag against a hornet, or I have difficulty passing on the fwy w/o hitting the rev limiter? I know it's hard to quantify without an actual demo. I just like to get a better idea.
Fidl2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #3612
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidl2n View Post
Thanks, Cortez. Exactly the sort of input I'm looking for. Did your cousin go for any of tha factory add-ons (esp any of the rider pro bits)?
None!
He had only a pair of leovince exhausts on his 599 and a tiny windscreen,
and he's saving up for an exhaust for his NC700X, not planning to add
anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidl2n View Post
And here's the crux: what exactly is the experience of "a lot slower"? As in, I can't drag against a hornet, or I have difficulty passing on the fwy w/o hitting the rev limiter? I know it's hard to quantify without an actual demo. I just like to get a better idea.
Hitting the rev limiter is something very familiar to any owner of this bike,
but that has nothing to do with it being slow, it's just the way it is with it's
low redline and effortless revving.

I can overtake without much trouble on my 30hp scooter, so you'll be
fine with 50hp on the NC, just make sure you're not in 6th gear.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #3613
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 313
This is my bosses bike, he hand made the skid plate and yes that is a winch on the back. He is working on an aux gas tank for it now. Steadily getting 68-70 mpg. We cut the tack weld out of the can insert on the Akro can, sounds really good in person and not loud at all with the cat still in place

2009 CRF150R
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #3614
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Regarding the lack of speed on this bike, I think you just have to be at a point that you are ready for that. Heck, it will run high-13 second quarter miles which would have been a hot car to be proud of in the seventies. I have hit the rev limiter three times, but two of them were on the drive home from the dealer. You learn not to drive it that way. It will pass slow traffic. You wont hit the rev limiter passing someone in 5th or 6th gear. It has enough acceleration to satisfy me but every other 650+ except for a few thumper dual sports is going to kick its ass. BFD.

I just put a heated leather Russell seat on mine and upgraded the driving lights. As (greatly) modified, it is the most thoroughly satisfying bike I have owned in 45 years of this hobby. I can't kick anyone's ass on it, but at this stage in my riding career that is fine. If I want to get there sooner I will start earlier.

I was considering either this bike or a KTM 990 SM-T. I finally decided that most of the things that the KTM did better were either illegal, or dangerous, or both. I "accepted" the bike on a test ride but I lamented leaving the red-headed temptress at the altar until a nice long trip to upstate New York this fall that cemented the relationship. I hardly ever think of what's-her-name any more. Well, only every time I see one, but this girl is better for me.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #3615
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapegoat View Post
This motorbike is just not for me, I want a percision job for the tool, not a meh bike.

Dont get me wrong I can see why honda made it, its economical, fits into most licence restricted countries, green, easy to ride and nit to powerfull..... but it has no SOUL!

Its going to get people out of cars and into bikes in europe anyway but it is just boring to me.

I have a Honda blackbird for commuting and touring, its my big mielage bike.
I have a Honda dominator for off road fun, cos im too short to fit an Africa Twin
I have Honda Firblade for all out sports riding.

Percision tools for the job, what is the nc700's job? Just saving fuel???
I would rather burn fuel on a journey and have more fun aswell as arrive in style!
Percisely!

(What a shame your passion for "percision" doesn't extend to English usage).
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote