ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #3691
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Oddometer: 354
big business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Why?

They didn't even start making them over there, and you already
somehow know that the Japanese model will be better?

I think it has to do with Honda seeking to save money, and here in the US it reminds us of the jobs that left our country for cheaper labor. Japan products, cars and electronics are generally top quality. The recall on the chain on the NC came about with out-sourced manufacturing with a Japanese product.
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #3692
cls
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: N GA
Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
I have locked both the front and back brake with ease several times. I'm not getting the need for better brakes, unless you just want ABS to be standard.

The shocks can be upgraded, if needed. They are adequate on pavement and gravel roads for the majority of riders this bike is marketed for.

The times I want a better suspension, is when I'm on very rough dirt roads that have limestone protruding up to 4'' from the surface, so replacing the shocks is on my list, after a skid-plate.
I just have to slow down, when on these.

The aftermarket already has the replacement parts, minus skid-plate when I can afford it.

If you were complaining about the seat, I would be in total agreement. The after market is already on that also.


I have about 4300 miles on mine now, averaging 69 mpg. Anything that I don't like just takes a little saving up.
I wouldn't be on the NCX yet if all the mods were already done. At least this way I can put what I want on it, not what someone else wanted.
Woo doggie! Folks who are a little overly defensive of their choice of motorcycle model? I've never heard of such a thing...I'm just commenting on what I've read thus far and what I'd like to see different from what's been reported (At least in a number of places.). If the reports are wrong, awesome. Carry on. It's just a preference. I'm looking for a high-end, practical, economical, do-it-all bike, not a price-point one. That includes sporty road riding, which should include lower weight (especially considering the limited power of the bike) and high quality, fully adjustable suspension. That's what I'd like to see. If that doesn't work for you, that's perfectly fine. Everybody just breathe...
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #3693
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 121
The thread got started with about EIGHT HUNDRED posts of speculation and pontification based on nothing but having seen the spec sheet....all this before anybody had so much as taken a test ride or even seen one.

We have since had a shift to having people who have at least test ridden one and quite a number of people who actually own one and are very satisfied with the bike....some more satisfied, perhaps, than they themselves expected to be based on the spec sheet numbers.

We're not being defensive of our choice of bikes, we just find it annoying when we get dragged back to the early days of the discussion by yet another person who saw the spec sheet and felt a need to bolster his own ego by piping up and telling us that our bike isn't up to his own high standards. The discussion has moved on.
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #3694
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Oddometer: 354
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
The thread got started with about EIGHT HUNDRED posts of speculation and pontification based on nothing but having seen the spec sheet....all this before anybody had so much as taken a test ride or even seen one.

We have since had a shift to having people who have at least test ridden one and quite a number of people who actually own one and are very satisfied with the bike....some more satisfied, perhaps, than they themselves expected to be based on the spec sheet numbers.

We're not being defensive of our choice of bikes, we just find it annoying when we get dragged back to the early days of the discussion by yet another person who saw the spec sheet and felt a need to bolster his own ego by piping up and telling us that our bike isn't up to his own high standards. The discussion has moved on.
What's the saying, "don't feed the trolls".
All I wish for is warmer weather so I can go riding.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #3695
cls
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: N GA
Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
The thread got started with about EIGHT HUNDRED posts of speculation and pontification based on nothing but having seen the spec sheet....all this before anybody had so much as taken a test ride or even seen one.

We have since had a shift to having people who have at least test ridden one and quite a number of people who actually own one and are very satisfied with the bike....some more satisfied, perhaps, than they themselves expected to be based on the spec sheet numbers.

We're not being defensive of our choice of bikes, we just find it annoying when we get dragged back to the early days of the discussion by yet another person who saw the spec sheet and felt a need to bolster his own ego by piping up and telling us that our bike isn't up to his own high standards. The discussion has moved on.
Certain confirmation of what I said. Shame...Here I thought I was just chipping in my two cents after reading numerous riders' reviews (Not just the spec sheet. Get your accusations together, at least, as far fetched and silly as they may be.). It's far from anything to do w/ego. In fact, what kind of ego goes w/a 470#, 51 hp bike?! You're kidding, right? "Methinks thou protests too much." The ego is obviously on your end. My whole comment was pretty easy to just skip over if you didn't like it. As it is, the bike doesn't meet up to my expectations to spend my money. No big deal. The same is so for a lot of bikes I still have hope for. I wasn't aware I was making a personal attack on anyone. Some folks take themselves way too seriously, I reckon. More from an imperfect world. So it has been; so it shall be.

Pressing on.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #3696
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Oddometer: 354
givi

In planning for some panniers, and looking at options from Givi, and the E21 panniers are seemingly a nice option for smaller size.

Anyone have this model and are they made as well as the rest of the Givi cases?

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #3697
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp
 
rowdymoose's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Certain confirmation of what I said. Shame...Here I thought I was just chipping in my two cents after reading numerous riders' reviews (Not just the spec sheet. Get your accusations together, at least, as far fetched and silly as they may be.). It's far from anything to do w/ego. In fact, what kind of ego goes w/a 470#, 51 hp bike?! You're kidding, right? "Methinks thou protests too much." The ego is obviously on your end. My whole comment was pretty easy to just skip over if you didn't like it. As it is, the bike doesn't meet up to my expectations to spend my money. No big deal. The same is so for a lot of bikes I still have hope for. I wasn't aware I was making a personal attack on anyone. Some folks take themselves way too seriously, I reckon. More from an imperfect world. So it has been; so it shall be.

Pressing on.
You say you were making your comments based on rider reviews, yet you try to talk down to the other guy by referring to specs.

Talking down to someone, then trying to take the high road doesn't make you the better man, at least not in my opinion.

Pressing on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2012 Honda NC700X
rowdymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #3698
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
turbodieseli4i6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: SW Missouri USA
Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Why?
They didn't even start making them over there, and you already
somehow know that the Japanese model will be better?
http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/honda-nc700x-0
''Despite the budget intentions of the NC700X, the bike is built in Japan rather than a low labour cost country such as India or Thailand, I suspect because of the importance of the project, but this does show in the fit and finish which really are outstanding. Our test bikes were pre-production but showroom versions should be similar, and Japanese-made Hondas still set the standards others aspire to''


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
I think it has to do with Honda seeking to save money, and here in the US it reminds us of the jobs that left our country for cheaper labor. Japan products, cars and electronics are generally top quality. The recall on the chain on the NC came about with out-sourced manufacturing with a Japanese product.
+1



Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Woo doggie! Folks who are a little overly defensive of their choice of motorcycle model? I've never heard of such a thing...I'm just commenting on what I've read thus far and what I'd like to see different from what's been reported (At least in a number of places.). If the reports are wrong, awesome. Carry on. It's just a preference. I'm looking for a high-end, practical, economical, do-it-all bike, not a price-point one. That includes sporty road riding, which should include lower weight (especially considering the limited power of the bike) and high quality, fully adjustable suspension. That's what I'd like to see. If that doesn't work for you, that's perfectly fine. Everybody just breathe...

Not defensive, I was just telling you my experiences not what I have read. I personally could care less what others think of my choice.
If you want a high-end bike, then the NC isn't for you. I have no problem with that. Saying "Now lighten it up, give it good suspension and brakes, and I'm (maybe) in. Economy doesn't have to be cheap.''
The brakes will lock up if needed, from experience. The suspension is adequate for pavement, but for the price works good enough. Like I said before, I will probably upgrade my shocks, but it is adequate for now.
But actually owning and riding one, must not be as good as reading what someone else said about it is, right?
__________________
1999 TW200, 2012 NC700X
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #3699
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 121
"What you schlubs ride isn't good enough for me. I'm above that (and above you). I really had nothing meaningful to add to the discussion. Just thought I'd drop by and make myself feel better by asserting my superiority. You little toy people carry on riding your little toy bike......Jeez, but you're all defensive!"
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #3700
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Oddometer: 354
uuuuu....that hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
"What you schlubs ride isn't good enough for me. I'm above that (and above you). I really had nothing meaningful to add to the discussion. Just thought I'd drop by and make myself feel better by asserting my superiority. You little toy people carry on riding your little toy bike......Jeez, but you're all defensive!"
You know your just feeding the Troll
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #3701
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 121
Antagonizing him, I hope.
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #3702
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/honda-nc700x-0
''Despite the budget intentions of the NC700X, the bike is built in Japan rather than a low labour cost country such as India or Thailand, I suspect because of the importance of the project, but this does show in the fit and finish which really are outstanding. Our test bikes were pre-production but showroom versions should be similar, and Japanese-made Hondas still set the standards others aspire to''
I understand what that means, but we're condemning the Thai version
before it even came out, and knowing Honda, there probably won't be
any noticeable difference.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #3703
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 121
I hate to tell you guys this, but just because it ships from the factory in Kumamoto doesn't mean it is a 100% Japanese domestically produced bike.

The steel for the frame comes from India, gets processed in the Philippines, and then welded in Japan. Some components are sourced from China and Indonesia, with about 40% of the bike originating outside Japan.

Source Article (Feb. 2012)
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #3704
sloryder
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Southern Az.
Oddometer: 73
"I'm looking for a high-end, practical, economical, do-it-all bike, not a price-point one. That includes sporty road riding, which should include lower weight (especially considering the limited power of the bike) and high quality, fully adjustable suspension." < From cls.

Would you give us a couple of examples of bikes which meet your critera? Thanks.
sloryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #3705
cls
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: N GA
Oddometer: 980
My original response stands more than enough on its own. I shan't spend any more time defending myself from insecure, close-minded, arrogant folks who are so fragile they can't stand a personal opinion. What's the world coming to, indeed?

As I said, "pressing on." And that would be upward, not just onward; get the priority right. Have a great one.

cls screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 02:38 AM
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014