Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #3721
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
If you truly want good brakes and suspension the NC may be perfect for you. Dave Searle of Motorcycle Consumer News had this to say about the NC700X (some of his quotes)

"Its low-tech brakes are awesome, too, with great feel for traction, and the low chassis and long wheelbase tempt you to make super short stops just for fun, because they're so easy."
"But I'd say handling is its best feature. It's nimble, flicks side-to-side rapidly, and has tenacious grip at both ends that makes curves - of any speed - a real treat. Great suspension really helps handling, of course, and the NC's is just perfect.

...and from the other tester at MCN, Scott Rousseau;

"...Its brakes and suspension also perform so well that they don't even hint at the NC's bargain approach."
I don't think they rode it very long. I am a very satisfied NCX owner, but I bought it with the foreknowledge that I would have to make some changes to it for it to fit my needs. I improved both the brakes (which were good to begin with) and the suspension (which, to me, was not). The high speed compression damping of the front fork is pretty miserable. It is very much a budget suspension. However, all of this is easily improved by those who want to do so without making everyone else pay for a level of performance that is more than they require. I think our troll may wait forever for that perfect bike to come along when he could buy one that meets his basic needs and improve it on his own where it falls short. I personally find the whole process of tailoring the bike to my needs to be quite rewarding. I don't expect any bike to show up perfect for me, because it would only fit a market segment of one and it would be out of production the following year.

As far as where the bike is manufactured, good products can be made in low labor cost areas if the technology transfer process is rigorously executed. It may well be that the product quality is initially lower in the high tech start-up country and that the ongoing quality is better once the process improvement and validation are completed. It is still best to do the process development where the technical expertise is resident and then export the validated process if necessary for economics.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #3722
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
If you truly want good brakes and suspension the NC may be perfect for you. Dave Searle of Motorcycle Consumer News had this to say about the NC700X (some of his quotes)

"Its low-tech brakes are awesome, too, with great feel for traction, and the low chassis and long wheelbase tempt you to make super short stops just for fun, because they're so easy."
"But I'd say handling is its best feature. It's nimble, flicks side-to-side rapidly, and has tenacious grip at both ends that makes curves - of any speed - a real treat. Great suspension really helps handling, of course, and the NC's is just perfect.

...and from the other tester at MCN, Scott Rousseau;

"...Its brakes and suspension also perform so well that they don't even hint at the NC's bargain approach."
Yeh, I read that and I like Dave's stuff for the practical side of things. I was just a little concerned w/the sporting guys talking about the brakes and suspension. I tend to be picky in the same way. Again, not a knock, just a notice. Thanks for the heads-up.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #3723
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds View Post
made in japan is not what it used to be. It's a global economy. Parts from all around the world are used in the production of goods. Active on the sony camera forums, i read a lot of stories about qa issues with the rx100 camera when it came out (made in japan). After a while those issues disappeared as the camera manufacturing was switched to china. So those pounding their chest with the "superior made in japan" models were the qa guinea pigs. Once everything was sorted out, production started in china to sony specifications. The china models appears to be better built. I rarely see apple computer purchasers complain aout malaysia, taiwan, china products.
I care not where the nc is assembled, i'll take one.
+1

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #3724
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Im thinking about trading in my 99 goldwing se for one of these. If I do get one I will also be selling my 05 ninja 250 as well. The ninja is my perfect around town bike and the goldwing is for longer trips or when I need more luggage room. Im hoping to split the difference between the two and just get down to one bike. Russelville Ark on ebay seems to have some good deals. Im definately getting the manual geared one, not the dct.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #3725
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Great roads there in the Ozarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
Im thinking about trading in my 99 goldwing se for one of these. If I do get one I will also be selling my 05 ninja 250 as well. The ninja is my perfect around town bike and the goldwing is for longer trips or when I need more luggage room. Im hoping to split the difference between the two and just get down to one bike. Russelville Ark on ebay seems to have some good deals. Im definately getting the manual geared one, not the dct.
Home for a number of years was Ava, MO. I was riding a Suzuki SV650 then, bought in Russelvile. I sure miss the riding all through the Ozarks. I used to wear out the sides of the tires equal to the rest of the tire then. The NC will love those winding roads, and be equally at home for longer ventures.

Now I see, Home is Iowa. Anyway if you have time go for some riding in the Russelville area.
Art

oldenuf screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 03:19 PM
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #3726
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
Home for a number of years was Ava, MO. I was riding a Suzuki SV650 then, bought in Russelvile. I sure miss the riding all through the Ozarks. I used to wear out the sides of the tires equal to the rest of the tire then. The NC will love those winding roads, and be equally at home for longer ventures.

Now I see, Home is Iowa. Anyway if you have time go for some riding in the Russelville area.
Art
Ya I live in Iowa but my mom is down in Harrison so ive rode some of the roads down there before. Great stuff.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #3727
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
Ya I live in Iowa but my mom is down in Harrison so ive rode some of the roads down there before. Great stuff.
Oh man...some great riding around Harrison! Haven't been up there since my college years at UofA.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #3728
sniper1rfa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Stroms are price-point ... and very price-point'ish...

Literally everything is built to a price point, right up to the Saturn 5 rocket that put us on the moon.

I bet if you spend $50k you could get exactly what you want. Now cough up.
sniper1rfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #3729
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper1rfa View Post
Literally everything is built to a price point, right up to the Saturn 5 rocket that put us on the moon.

I bet if you spend $50k you could get exactly what you want. Now cough up.
True story but you know exactly what I meant. The connotation of the phrase is very clear and established. I have "paid up" for much better bikes (many times) and I will again. Just waiting for the right one(s). Drop the weight and up the quality of components on the NC-X and I'll gladly pay more. That's exactly what I'm asking for. I say again, perhaps an NCX-R.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #3730
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Just waiting for the right one(s). Drop the weight and up the quality of components on the NC-X and I'll gladly pay more. That's exactly what I'm asking for. I say again, perhaps an NCX-R.
How about a BMW F700? More power, lighter, better brakes, and still a parallel twin.
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #3731
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
How about a BMW F700? More power, lighter, better brakes, and still a parallel twin.
Very tempting. Even more so is the new F800GT. If the maintenance and/or the reliability turn out to not be major issues, I'd be very interested. That and the fact that the nearest dealership is almost an hour away. That hurts. I'm still keeping an eye on it. And, yes, I'm aware I'm asking for it (almost) all. It's part of the fun, for me, at this point.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #3732
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
... That and the fact that the nearest dealership is almost an hour away....
LOL that's an hour and half nearer than my dealer!

Ok sorry for the drift, now back to the NC700X.
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #3733
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
LOL that's an hour and half nearer than my dealer!

Ok sorry for the drift, now back to the NC700X.
Understood. Different strokes...I'm not the mechanical type. I like my dealer/shop nearby.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #3734
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Surely there must be threads where the bikes that do appeal to you are being discussed.....
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #3735
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
Surely there must be threads where the bikes that do appeal to you are being discussed.....
+1

watrboy is offline   Reply With Quote