Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #3751
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Make it mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
We are trying to lose you. But how can we miss you if you won't go away?

ETA: Look, I apologize for my attitude, but your whine is tiresome. Honda did not choose to go up-market with the bike and it does not suit you. Fine, it suits many people. It is a marketing fact of life that you can introduce a product and later do an up-market move, but it is much riskier to do it the other way. Honda may well build the "de luxe" model you want later. I had most of the same objections that you did. But I bought the bike as it was and upgraded all of the shortcomings that mattered to me. I am now a few grand more into the bike but extremely satisfied with it. It's equivalent cannot be found. If you want to wait and hope that Honda or someone else will build your dream bike so all you have to do is write a check, well go ahead. But it may be years from now and might not happen at all. But if you want to invest a bit of ingenuity and effort you can have it now.

Honda built what they built. If you disagree, make your case to someone who can do something about it. If you want to learn some work-arounds for the compromises, join us.
This was the most attractive part of the NC. I like beemerphile's mods along with many others and have copied many on my own NC. The fact that I could mold a new bike into the type of bike that works for me, and save $3K to $5K over the standard offerings was and is very attractive. I have over $3K in accessories and spent the money on exactly what I wanted, not what a manufacturer wanted to include or offer. I like to improve and fiddle (farkle?), not undo and sell to get what I want.

I know that it is not perfect and off road is a push, but you look at the NC with the skidplate by owner and the TKC tires and marvel at the concept.

10 years ago, we didn't have an exchange like this, and we learn a lot from it. I will follow along with the inmates and know more at the end of the day.

Besides, the Dakar is only 3 weeks away and will fill my time for 2 weeks after that. What else is there to do.
watrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #3752
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
For anyone who compared the NC700X to a new WeeStrom, what made you choose one over the other?
Honda: 2000 CB750

ridewv screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 06:42 AM
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #3753
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Your reading comprehension is lacking.
Quote:
I fear you lost me.

I laughed.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #3754
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
We are trying to lose you. But how can we miss you if you won't go away?

ETA: Look, I apologize for my attitude, but your whine is tiresome. Honda did not choose to go up-market with the bike and it does not suit you. Fine, it suits many people. It is a marketing fact of life that you can introduce a product and later do an up-market move, but it is much riskier to do it the other way. Honda may well build the "de luxe" model you want later. I had most of the same objections that you did. But I bought the bike as it was and upgraded all of the shortcomings that mattered to me. I am now a few grand more into the bike but extremely satisfied with it. It's equivalent cannot be found. If you want to wait and hope that Honda or someone else will build your dream bike so all you have to do is write a check, well go ahead. But it may be years from now and might not happen at all. But if you want to invest a bit of ingenuity and effort you can have it now.

Honda built what they built. If you disagree, make your case to someone who can do something about it. If you want to learn some work-arounds for the compromises, join us.
Try harder...I'm aware of all that and I may be interested in the bike, as is. I'm waiting for more info and feedback. I'm staying tuned until I've made the decision...I joined a long time ago.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #3755
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post

I laughed.
So you did understand that? Good. Perhaps you could explain. I still don't get it. I'd hate to miss a good one.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #3756
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
I fixed your post.
Ah, implant/transplant; got it. My error, though the point remains the same.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #3757
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Try harder...I'm aware of all that and I may be interested in the bike, as is. I'm waiting for more info and feedback. I'm staying tuned until I've made the decision...I joined a long time ago.
I understand this is feeding the troll, but the weekend psychologist in me has to understand how a mind like this works. How do you talk down to folks in this thread in the same post you say your moving on--implying you're taking the high road and that all of us are the strange ones/"bubba"s as you stated? If you are WAITING for more info and feedback and STAYING TUNED, why do you keep jumping in discussing how Honda didn't make the perfect bike for you, while there are so many satisfied customers here, then calling us names when we defend our bike? Kinda like kicking someone in the shins and then saying their being defensive when they get upset with you. Please realize there is a large difference between adding your opinions for what your dream bike would be and how close this bike is, vs talking down about the bike (and Honda) because it's not the bike for you right now.

Notice I didn't call you names. Please move on, and save some electrons for when you have something useful to add. I'm sure you'll have to jump in to get the last word, as this has been your MO so far, and this is the internet...where arguments are won by who gets in the last word. I refuse to ignore you at this point, as I'm a natural devil's advocate and think one of these days I'll forget your screen name and read a post that's actually beneficial, constructive to the thread.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #3758
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
How do you talk down to folks in this thread in the same post you say your moving on--implying you're taking the high road and that all of us are the strange ones/"bubba"s as you stated?
Passive–aggressive behavior
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #3759
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
Like I said...weekend psychologist...still have a lot to learn!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #3760
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
like i said...weekend psychologist...still have a lot to learn!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #3761
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
V-Strom verses NC700x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
For anyone who compared the NC700X to a new WeeStrom, what made you choose one over the other?
V-twin engines are great till you have to work on them. The Honda twin is leaned forward and access is very good, with threaded adjusters. Open the fake trunk, and a large cover comes out with 2 fasteners and the battery is right there. Another cover above the battery and the air cleaner is exposed. The feel of the machine is very light compared to the DL. As a dual sport rider the V-Strom is just not what I would ever consider for any off road riding, same for the NC, so that is not a thing I consider for either machine. The 21 liter storage in the tank is so useful. Like the Suzuki, you can get panniers from the major aftermarket companies. When you look over the machine it is just finished great. Love the wheels for looks and ease of cleaning, especially the single disk front. Love the upright sitting position, and the bars. The 6 speed tranny is one of the best I have used with ratios perfect for the engine. Within its rpm range of 6500 rpm's it actually makes more HP and torque than the V-Strom. You have to rev the V-Strom above 6500 rpm's to find any advantage in HP.

Things I don't like. Short fenders, but they seem to do the job, and I may add extension to these. I'm putting on a few more miles to see if it is an issue. It's to quiet. My refrigerator makes more noise than the exhaust, but I can live without that nice twin exhaust note. Front forks seem to let you feel all the bad roads more than I like. Rear shock seems OK. This doesn't seem to effect the handling when laid over in a corner at speed. Plan to change fluid weight to see if this helps.

I'm not finding anything that has to be changed on the NC. I am adding a center stand. And now just the wait for better weather to really put on some miles.

Art
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #3762
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I understand this is feeding the troll, but the weekend psychologist in me has to understand how a mind like this works. How do you talk down to folks in this thread in the same post you say your moving on--implying you're taking the high road and that all of us are the strange ones/"bubba"s as you stated? If you are WAITING for more info and feedback and STAYING TUNED, why do you keep jumping in discussing how Honda didn't make the perfect bike for you, while there are so many satisfied customers here, then calling us names when we defend our bike? Kinda like kicking someone in the shins and then saying their being defensive when they get upset with you. Please realize there is a large difference between adding your opinions for what your dream bike would be and how close this bike is, vs talking down about the bike (and Honda) because it's not the bike for you right now.

Notice I didn't call you names. Please move on, and save some electrons for when you have something useful to add. I'm sure you'll have to jump in to get the last word, as this has been your MO so far, and this is the internet...where arguments are won by who gets in the last word. I refuse to ignore you at this point, as I'm a natural devil's advocate and think one of these days I'll forget your screen name and read a post that's actually beneficial, constructive to the thread.
You actually seem reasonably earnest, so here you go: I made a comment that was taken all wrong and I was accused and talked down to. I made a light-hearted response of my intent w/what I thought was some casual humor to clarify. It was, again, met w/more condescension. So, I responded in kind w/my evaluation of the situation and offered to "press on" in good faith. Apparently some took that to mean I was leaving. Their error.

"(People) tend to find what they're looking for" and so you folks have. "Bubba" wasn't meant in the least way as negative. I use it all the time, family included. Furthermore, I've made no entries here since this started, except in direct response to another. That is far from "jumping in discussing how Honda didn't make the perfect bike for (me)" (Did I get that quote just right?). And I'm far from looking for my perfect dream bike. I am hoping for a more ideal, all-round, practical/economical, public road bike. I shall continue to do so until I'm satisfied.

We actually had peace there until you guys started back up. I was only responding to folks asking questions about my opinion, outlook, whatever. So don't harp on me for the perpetuation of where we are. You guys go on w/your general content, as will I. Or, keep bringing it up and we'll carry on this way. I'm up for either. I have a little psychologist in me, as well...

Now, after yet another honest explanation, I'm sure it will be just "whining," again. So be it. I'll take care of my end of things. Bikes and/or people, it's all good fun. Your choice. Another opportunity knocking. How will they respond? The suspense is killing me.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #3763
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
Quote:
I have a little psychologist in me, as well...

That's just too much info.
Let's move on.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #3764
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Thanks Art, all good points. I've liked the NC since I first sat on one at the Motorcycle show last February. Although it's easier to do valve adjustments on the Honda I assume it will require them more often? I'm with you regarding the minuscule fenders. In fact I'm sure their must be an industry wide conspiracy against fenders, perhaps the AFC Anti Fender Coalition? BMW would be a charter member!
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #3765
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
. Front forks seem to let you feel all the bad roads more than I like. Rear shock seems OK. This doesn't seem to effect the handling when laid over in a corner at speed. Plan to change fluid weight to see if this helps.
Art
I don't think you will like the result with thinner fluid. It is already quite thin and the low speed damping would be less controlled. What the system lacks is separate high and low speed compression damping circuits. Mine has heavier fluid but still handles the fast changes like square edged bumps (concrete highway expansion joints for instance) much better than stock. You might not be able to find lighter fluid, in which case you'd need to drill out the control orifices to get a similar result.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote