Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #3811
longdude17
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
After reading alot of great review and raves about how this bike is the next BOTY I finally broke down, bit the bullet and went to the Honda dealership for a little looksie....I took it on a 35 mile test ride (and got my A$$ chewed by the dealership when I got back, story for another time), some in the city, some interstate and my favorite lap around the local lakes. Sorry guys but after test riding the versys, and riding to the honda dealership on the Buell I was utterly disappointed. Sure the bike was nimble, solid, smooth and handled like an expensive hooker but the performance was way way way less than par.....I literally slammed the rev limiter pulling out the parking lot! It could use 1500-2000 more rpm to help wind the bike out a touch more. The seat was a touch hard and being 6'3" I was a little cramped on my man parts. But like I said bike rode and handled fine, but in my book this would be the PERFECT beginner bike or ladies bike. Any experienced rider that has any significant seat time will get BORED with this bike FAST. Just my opinion. On the bright side im considering getting one for the lady friend since she almost ready to move up from her NX250.

DE
longdude17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #3812
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
test ride

Lots of choices out there, new and used, of machines with mega performance. Good luck with your hunt for that personal machine and if you buy an NC for the gal friend you are one nice guy.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #3813
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
And once again the bike fails to be what it was never meant or claimed to be. What a surprise.

I can't even imagine hitting the limiter in first pulling out of a parking lot. Anybody who rides like that doesn't want more rpms....what he really wants is a couple of Wile E. Coyote rockets strapped to the rear.

Mike Cash screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 01:30 AM
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #3814
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdude17 View Post
Any experienced rider that has any significant seat time will get BORED with this bike FAST..

DE
No way. I got bored fast with several bikes, but not yet this one. Doing 25.000km a year. Good road mix.
Regards, Phil
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #3815
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
And once again the bike fails to be what it was never meant or claimed to be. What a surprise.
I'm shocked as well

At the launch 50% of reviewers didn't get it either. Funny how so many people lust after old BMW's or URALS etc and suddenly 50HP is not enough in a new bike.

On the other hand it was meant to suit the "beginner and Learner" and it would suit anyone who is just a bit over the whole RRRacing thing. And that is fair enough IMHO.

Buy it for the lady longdude. I know a few people that spend a lot of time borrowing the lady friends bike and leaving the big power at home all shined up..you know...so they can keep the lady's bike battery charged..

It seems to work well..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #3816
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Here in Japan people would find it odd to hear it referred to as a "beginner" bike, as it is legally classified as a large bike and has stricter requirements for a license to ride it.

I used to think what I longed for was a big inline four. But after 25 years off bikes I got started back with an inline four and found it really didn't suit me or what I wanted a bike for. I kept thinking that what I'd really like was a more powerful and more "grown-up" version of the old Suzuki TS185 I had enjoyed so much as a teenager. Now I have one. First new motorized vehicle of any kind I've bought since 1980.
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #3817
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
It was a good review for me. That he didn't like the power delivery/character/peak is no surprise. I can ride around that. In fact, in regular commuting mode, the NC sounds like exactly what I want for everyday use (And why I'm looking at the bike.). He was otherwise very positive on the bike, handling and suspension included. That's good info from a different perspective, IMO.

Thanks much.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #3818
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

advice from an owner

I don't think I would say the NC700X is going to be a good choice for you, cls if you agree with Longdude17. Keep in mind that he feels experienced riders would soon get very bored with the NC. He did with less than 35 miles of riding. You and longdude17 would be money ahead to skip the NC and find a Honda 919 or Suzuki Bandit or Yamaha FZ1 to name a few choices. You can still commute on these and when the time is right, do a burn-out or get that front wheel up or make passes that need 100 mph speed. It is just not worth it to settle for less than what you really want.

Art
Old 12-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #3819
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
I appreciate the insight and advice. However, I took his review w/the knowledge that he is still interested in the ego/rush/excitement/etc that comes w/a high performance bike. I can see beyond his viewpoint and apply it for what value it may have for me. Like I said, I can work around the power thing. Heck, I actually think it'll be about perfect for this bike's calling. My main issues were w/the possible suspension, brakes, and/or weight for quality feel and spirited riding. The fact that he thought those were solid, while still being of the sportier viewpoint, I found positive. Useful, I thought.

For the record: I'm 47 and I've had dozens of bikes. I'm looking for the perfect balance of street-wise power, nimble handling, easy maintenance and ownership, w/all-round versatility, in an economical package. My Versys is the best I've found so far. I'd like to move on to something w/higher quality and better mpg's for my daily rider. "The journey is the destination," sort of fits the scenario. I like to play and compare. I have other bikes in the garage for other moods and specific use.

Thanks, again.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #3820
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
After reading alot of great review and raves about how this bike is the next BOTY I finally broke down, bit the bullet and went to the Honda dealership for a little looksie....I took it on a 35 mile test ride (and got my A$$ chewed by the dealership when I got back, story for another time), some in the city, some interstate and my favorite lap around the local lakes. Sorry guys but after test riding the versys, and riding to the honda dealership on the Buell I was utterly disappointed. Sure the bike was nimble, solid, smooth and handled like an expensive hooker but the performance was way way way less than par.....I literally slammed the rev limiter pulling out the parking lot! It could use 1500-2000 more rpm to help wind the bike out a touch more. The seat was a touch hard and being 6'3" I was a little cramped on my man parts. But like I said bike rode and handled fine, but in my book this would be the PERFECT beginner bike or ladies bike. Any experienced rider that has any significant seat time will get BORED with this bike FAST. Just my opinion. On the bright side im considering getting one for the lady friend since she almost ready to move up from her NX250.

DE
So, you like the Versys better?

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #3821
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
I can't even imagine hitting the limiter in first pulling out of a parking lot. Anybody who rides like that doesn't want more rpms....what he really wants is a couple of Wile E. Coyote rockets strapped to the rear.
You can't? A BMW F800 hits its rev limiter at 9,000 rpm. That's 2,500 higher than the NC700. A Tiger 800's rev limiter is 1,000 higher still. The power in the BM starts to taper off 1,000 before the limiter. I've never hit the limiter on the Tiger.
But an NC hits its peak power at 6250 and the limiter just 250 rpm later. Many thumpers rev higher.
"Good" performance isn't about burnouts or wheelies. that stuff is just childish. But a Tiger 800 puts out 90% of it's peak torque for a 7,000 rpm range, and the F800 does for almost 5,000.
Honda's CB500 has an 8500 rpm redline and wider power band than the 700. Yes, it's less power, but it don't sign off early like the NC700, which performs only slightly better than a V-twin Star 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
An new adventure-bike-lite to compete with BMW's F800GS and the Triumph Tiger 800XC...
Sadly, no. Great suspension and comfort? Sure! But engine performance is weak compared to anything other than thumpers and smaller twins.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #3822
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Comparing the NC to.....

Yes I have to agree comparing the Honda NC700X to BMW and Triumph of about the same engine capacity just brings up the Honda short. It's just gone in a different direction with this engine. The very first post in this thread, kind of got it wrong in what Honda was about with this new model. They already have, or had competing "adventure machines" out there, but don't sell them in the good old USA.

Art
Old 12-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #3823
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:

DE
How many years and miles does it take to be considered an experienced rider? I've only been riding for 40 years so I'm kind of curious to know when I need to give the NC to my boy.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #3824
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Buells will spoil you to riding a fun bike.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #3825
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

test ride..

I think longdude17 was just using the wrong words in his post. I think he was talking about "more testosterone influenced" riders or what "experienced", riders commonly call, "squids". IMO.

Art