Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #3826
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
I think longdude17 was just using the wrong words in his post. I think he was talking about "Capable" riders or what "inept", riders commonly call, "squids". IMO.

Art
Fixed that up for ya, Art

After a year (and 10,000 miles) of riding her Ninja 500, my 51 year young girlfriend started shopping for her second bike. Before settling on a Tiger 800, she refered to an NC700 as "a weenie bike compared to my Ninja". I didn't ride it. To me, Honda created a niche between Maxi-scooter, and beginner bike. YMMV
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #3827
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Fixed that up for ya, Art

After a year (and 10,000 miles) of riding her Ninja 500, my 51 year young girlfriend started shopping for her second bike. Before settling on a Tiger 800, she refered to an NC700 as "a weenie bike compared to my Ninja". I didn't ride it. To me, Honda created a niche between Maxi-scooter, and beginner bike. YMMV
I don't think you fixed anything. You just proved my point.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #3828
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Seriously Art?
A Ninja 500 is generally consideered a beginner's bike, and no rocket by any stretch of the imagination, yet it (according to her) outperforms the NC700.

If your point was that anybody who drives faster than 55, or actually uses lean angle is a "squid", then I get exactly where you're coming from.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #3829
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,765
Let's move along............
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #3830
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
i don't think you fixed anything. You just proved my point.

Art
+1
Old 12-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #3831
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
Quote:
I don't think you fixed anything. You just proved my point.

Art
+1
So, if you guys are implying that my girlfriend is "more testosterone influenced", I'm going to have to take offense.
Your weenie bike, errrr, I mean scooter, is a fine commuter and grocery getter, when used in an urban enviornment. It's not going to be the "tool of choice" of experienced riders in the twisties (or for hours on the slab, unless you're a masochist). For the twistie bits, a Ninja 300 would be far more entertaining, even with its 10 less HP. It really IS more fun to ride a slow bike fast than the other way round.
To insult anybody with an interest in an entertaining ride in the twisties is really quite childish for a bunch of old men.

As I said before. Honda has created a nice little niche between maxi-scooter, beginner bike, and...um, urban retirement bike. If that's what you're looking for then it truely is perfect. BUT, that doesn't mean everybody else is irresponsible punks.

BTW, you guys are doing a great job of convincing me that it's a bike for cranky old dudes who remember going fast on thier Honda S90s
Old 12-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #3832
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
So, if you guys are implying that my girlfriend is "more testosterone influenced", I'm going to have to take offense.
Your weenie bike, errrr, I mean scooter, is a fine commuter and grocery getter, when used in an urban enviornment. It's not going to be the "tool of choice" of experienced riders in the twisties (or for hours on the slab, unless you're a masochist). For the twistie bits, a Ninja 300 would be far more entertaining, even with its 10 less HP. It really IS more fun to ride a slow bike fast than the other way round.
To insult anybody with an interest in an entertaining ride in the twisties is really quite childish for a bunch of old men.

As I said before. Honda has created a nice little niche between maxi-scooter, beginner bike, and...um, urban retirement bike. If that's what you're looking for then it truely is perfect. BUT, that doesn't mean everybody else is irresponsible punks.

BTW, you guys are doing a great job of convincing me that it's a bike for cranky old dudes who remember going fast on thier Honda S90s

I could care less what you or your girl friend ride. If calling a bike names, make you and the girlfriend feel superior have at it.
I would say that to your face also. Age doesn't mean intelligence or wise. Have fun on your sports bikes and ride safe.

turbodieseli4i6 screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 03:09 PM Reason: fixed
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #3833
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
I could care less what you or your girl friend ride. If calling a bike names, make you and the girlfriend feel superior have at it.
I would say that to your face also. Age doesn't mean intelligence or wise. Have fun on your sports bikes and ride safe.
There's really nothing wrong with...ANY bike, really. But there's not any reason to be insulting people who find one "boring" either. It don't meet his criteria for fun because it isn't trying to. I don't have an issue with the NC, but it, like all bikes, is built for a specific demographic.
For the two of you to dogpile that guy, suggesting anybody bored with the bike or unexpectedly hit the rev limiter is a squid, is just childish name calling...and now YOU are bringing that up in reference to bikes!
The GF and I aren't squids. We ride "adventure touring" bikes. My GS and her Tiger, but if I did have a sport bike it would be a Ninja 300 or CBR 250 for the reasons I stated...Plenty of power to have fun with, and light and flickable.

Good day, sir
Old 12-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #3834
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
The real problem with the NC700X

Just my opinion, but the NC is just to damn good. With only 1000 miles on it, and winter outside, there just is not much to do for it. I did get out for about an hour today but 40 degree F. was not enjoyable. Runs absolutely great, and the suspension seems to be wearing in, or the cold improved the fork dampening, so may try heavier fork oil in the summer. So looking forward to some summer traveling.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #3835
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
There are people that have trouble thinking outside of the box. Honda is playing a different game with the NC but many folks have little to nothing to compare it to so it is only natural for them to view it with their limited frame of reference.

Let's move on.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #3836
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
There's really nothing wrong with...ANY bike, really.Good day, sir
Good day to you too! Merry Christmas.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #3837
Fidl2n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
It is amazing how many feel the need to go on about demeaning this bike on sport bike performance (which is obviously not what it was designed or intended to be). It's too bad. It does get tiresome and find it quite beyond the point of "it's only my opinion" (which I find is merely code for insult under cover of opinion). It's like saying curling is not speed skating, then insulting curlers when they protest. Really says the same old thing about American motorcycle culture, unfortunately. Women and "old guys" also getting their nice share of embedded insult, I see, being the most insulting thing you can compare someone to. Very nice. Lotta logs in eyeballs.

Fidl2n screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 04:06 PM
Fidl2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #3838
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

And moving on now; How do you fill the gas tank without unstrapping the drybag that's tied down across the pillion seat?
Somebody MUST have figured this out by now.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #3839
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,007
Quote:
And moving on now; How do you fill the gas tank without unstrapping the drybag that's tied down across the pillion seat?
You tie the drybag AROUND the pillion seat so it moves with the seat, like on my wifes cruiser, except you have to unbolt the two seats to get the bag off.

Or you use the "not a tank" and forget about the bag.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #3840
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I just put the stuff I need in the top case or side cases. Why tie it to the seat, when I can lock it up?