Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #3841
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
You tie the drybag AROUND the pillion seat so it moves with the seat, like on my wifes cruiser, except you have to unbolt the two seats to get the bag off.

Or you use the "not a tank" and forget about the bag.
Exactly.

I will mount my luggage to the seat of my NCX exactly the same way I did on my F800ST. I put the cargo straps around the seat itself, because I needed to be able to take the seat off the beemer to access stuff under it anyway. What's the big deal? In fact it's going to be easier with the NC, because it simply swings up and I won't have to take the whole thing off and find a place to set it down.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #3842
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
And moving on now; How do you fill the gas tank without unstrapping the drybag that's tied down across the pillion seat?
Somebody MUST have figured this out by now.
Guess who hasn't read but the last few pages of this thread?

Dave
dduelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #3843
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Guess who hasn't read but the last few pages of this thread?
I've skimmed thru enough to know at least the first 100 pages are pre-production speculation. The bike is new on the market.

There are zealots who hadn't actually seen one, and detractors who haven't either. There's a few wankers blathering on and on about who can tell if they have linked brakes or ABS, insurance companies charging sport bike prices. There's speculation about fuel economey, based on motojournalist reports in South Africa.

People like the chassis composure, brakes and suspension The first ones were delivered in sept, or maybe aug, but mostly I've been seeing speculation.
It's almost big enough for my 34" inseam...OK, I figured that one out at the bike show in Long Beach 2 weeks ago when I saw one for the first time.

Anyway, we're doing a South America trip starting in Oct, and want smaller, lighter, cheaper bikes that are common and easy to get parts for and DON'T want thumpers.
A 50 hp parts bin bike from Honda would definitely fit the criteria, but so would a Verseys which I find to be under sprung and top heavy, and WeeStrom...also soft fork springs and header pipe is the lowest point on the bike.
They're going to be hauling a ton of shit that I don't want to move every time we fill up!

This is how we packed for a week long trip 15 months ago.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #3844
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:

This is how we packed for a week long trip 15 months ago.
Take Glees and some spare pipe.

99% chance you won't need the pipe.

But you can fit a fair bit in the "not a tank" so check it out first.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #3845
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

You just continue to impress Mr Kip....What is the matter with riding your GS?

A parts bin bike by definition is one that shares major components with other bikes in a manufacturer's lineup. The Honda NC700s share nothing perhaps switchgear with any other bike in Honda's lineup. Have you done any research at all besides reading a few posts on the internet and listening your novice girlfriends opinion? 10,000 miles on an EX - that is like looking at a baseball game through a knot hole in the outfield fence and thinking an expert on the game. Another wanker come to visit and complain this bike isn't this or that and really is a good beginners bike if that is what you want. Please.

The NC is a brand new bike - a global bike but perhaps parts availability is perhaps not good in Central and South America yet. There are better choices for an extended trip in the second world but if Nick Sanders can do it........why do wankers post endless threads about the best bike to hop a curb on the way to Starbucks and think they are offroading?

That picture is a week's worth of stuff? Maybe you need to pare the down to what you really need to take. That is a load of crap for a week.

Your girlfriend is used to unstrapping a tank bag to fill up and you are used to the fussy gas filler on the GS so the two of you at least have something to compare this to: With a couple of Rok Straps a dry bag is click-click off with the bag; set the dry bag across the "tank" or on top of the top box or a pannier; lift the seat and fill 2.5 to 3.5 gallons; lower the seat; place the bag in place and click-click two buckles; ride off while the two of you are still screwing around at the pump.

This is a weeks worth of stuff:

Dave
Old 12-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #3846
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Gear

Along with panniers, which I have not decided which brand to go with, I have found that a tank bag fits on the fake tank nicely, and I use a back pack, carried empty for shopping along the way. I'm not much into camping, first choice a motel, so one small white-water bag with a bivi tent bag and pad. The riding is what I bought the motorcycle for.

Art

For those of us in the Northern hemisphere, day light hours are getting longer!!!

oldenuf screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 07:00 AM
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #3847
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What is the matter with riding your GS?
In a word; Ostioarthritis. I'm only 56, but have the body of a 90 year old. I love the GS on the road, with the Russell seat and all it's the closest thing to a Goldwing or (even an FJR) I'd ever consider owning. But getting the big girl back on her feet in the mud or uneven footing is getting near impossible, and the GF ain't that much help. I'm hoping to go much lighter.

Quote:
The NC is a brand new bike - a global bike but perhaps parts availability is perhaps not good in Central and South America yet. There are better choices for an extended trip in the second world but if Nick Sanders can do it........why do wankers post endless threads about the best bike to hop a curb on the way to Starbucks and think they are offroading?
Good point, and I understand what a parts bin bike is and thought the engine, transmission, forks and brakes were all pre existing. No, I haven't researched the bike yet. That's what I'm doing here. I really loved the all new CB500X, but have rulled it out for that very reason.

My novice girlfriend has logged over 20k miles in the 2 years she's been riding, and spent a full day on 7-8 mid-sized dual sports and naked bikes including SV650, DL650, Verseys, ER650n, F650GS(twin) and G650GS. She also has 30 years of track days in Triumph, Porsche, and Miata, so she understands torque curve and power band. She compared the NC 700 engine performance with a G650GS
As for "wankers" and "threads about the best bike to hop a curb on the way to Starbucks", perhaps you could shed some light on that, since you're the one saying the weenie bike is the best thing since sliced bread.
Thanks. You've helped me decide against the NC. Although it really is innovative, it's not the bike I want to be seen in front of starbucks on.
Cheers
Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #3848
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdude17 View Post
...But like I said bike rode and handled fine, but in my book this would be the PERFECT beginner bike or ladies bike. Any experienced rider that has any significant seat time will get BORED with this bike FAST. Just my opinion.
That is not an opinion, it is a judgement. It would be an opinion had you said that YOU would get bored with it. I have over 500,000 miles and 45 years on motorcycles and I am not bored by the bike. So, your judgement (masquerading as an opinion) is incorrect.

Everyone ain't the same, ole long dude. We don't all fit in one box.
beemerphile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #3849
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 615
Well said Bemmer. I have hundreds of thousands of miles under my belt also. I have owned over 50 bikes (must say many were off road machines) in 55 years of riding and at this point in my life I am LOVING the NC. We are in FL. for the winter and it is ridden every day for just about all my transportation needs.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #3850
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
That is not an opinion, it is a judgement. It would be an opinion had you said that YOU would get bored with it. I have over 500,000 miles and 45 years on motorcycles and I am not bored by the bike. So, your judgement (masquerading as an opinion) is incorrect.

Everyone ain't the same, ole long dude. We don't all fit in one box.
Wise words there
Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #3851
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Quote:
In a word; Ostioarthritis. I'm only 56, but have the body of a 90 year old. I love the GS on the road, with the Russell seat and all it's the closest thing to a Goldwing or (even an FJR) I'd ever consider owning. But getting the big girl back on her feet in the mud or uneven footing is getting near impossible, and the GF ain't that much help. I'm hoping to go much lighter.

Good point, and I understand what a parts bin bike is and thought the engine, transmission, forks and brakes were all pre existing. No, I haven't researched the bike yet. That's what I'm doing here. I really loved the all new CB500X, but have rulled it out for that very reason.

My novice girlfriend has logged over 20k miles in the 2 years she's been riding, and spent a full day on 7-8 mid-sized dual sports and naked bikes including SV650, DL650, Verseys, ER650n, F650GS(twin) and G650GS. She also has 30 years of track days in Triumph, Porsche, and Miata, so she understands torque curve and power band. She compared the NC 700 engine performance with a G650GS
As for "wankers" and "threads about the best bike to hop a curb on the way to Starbucks", perhaps you could shed some light on that, since you're the one saying the weenie bike is the best thing since sliced bread.
Thanks. You've helped me decide against the NC. Although it really is innovative, it's not the bike I want to be seen in front of starbucks on.
Cheers
Somehow I knew you didn't really want to discuss how owners solve how to strap a dry bag across the seat.

Dave
Old 12-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #3852
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Somehow I knew you didn't really want to discuss how owners solve how to strap a dry bag across the seat.
Sure riders can deal with it. Nevertheless Honda did make a silly mistake hiding the gas cap under the seat, rather than positioning on the right side. Don't you think?
2000 CB750
1993 R100R
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #3853
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
Sure riders can deal with it. Nevertheless Honda did make a silly mistake hiding the gas cap under the seat, rather than positioning on the right side. Don't you think?
Probably cheaper to do this way.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #3854
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
I've said it multiple times here before, and I'll say it again. I've always looked forward to stretching my legs a bit when I stop for gas. If, (BIG IF), it was a big deal to unstrap the bag for a few minutes, I'd enjoy the extra few minutes to stretch my legs when stopping for gas. But as others have mentioned, any luggage strapped to the top could be strapped TO the seat, not around the bike. This would allow the bag to stay strapped to the seat, and reduce time at stops if those couple of extra minutes were that important.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #3855
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 392
I first learned of the NC only last week as I was looking for a smaller alternative to my ST1300. Having previously owned a wee, I was leaning back in that direction. Traded for the NC yesterday. Exactly what a motorcycle should be if you are me .
reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote